PDA

View Full Version : Sig P238 worth the gamble?

gtmtnbiker98
12-09-09, 12:36
With the mixed reviews and user feedback, are they worth the gamble? Looking for an "always" pocket gun that is semi-auto. Not interested in j-frames, LCPs or Kel-Tecs. Opinions, experiences....?

I'm an HK and Sig snob so not interested in Glocks, XDs or revolvers. I know, I'm limiting myself, but my P2000SK isn't quite pocket worthy.

woody d
12-09-09, 12:53
they sure are a nice sized little pistol with the Sig name

ToddG
12-09-09, 13:13
I've seen exactly two at the range, and both have had reliability problems. One enough so that the owner -- clearly a reasonably experienced shooter and gun owner -- was cussing quite loudly about it.

The LCP rocks, dude. In the pocket .380 category, it's hard to justify looking elsewhere. Maybe wait and see what SHOT has to unveil?

gtmtnbiker98
12-09-09, 13:32
I've seen exactly two at the range, and both have had reliability problems. One enough so that the owner -- clearly a reasonably experienced shooter and gun owner -- was cussing quite loudly about it.

The LCP rocks, dude. In the pocket .380 category, it's hard to justify looking elsewhere. Maybe wait and see what SHOT has to unveil?How many rounds do you have through your LCP, Todd? I can't warm up to them for whatever reason, but may give them a look.

ToddG
12-09-09, 13:43
Only about 500. I shot it enough to be comfortable with it and when I'm carrying it as a backup (which I haven't been doing lately, actually ... bad dog, no biscuit!) I put a box or so through it each month.

gtmtnbiker98
12-09-09, 13:47
Only about 500. I shot it enough to be comfortable with it and when I'm carrying it as a backup (which I haven't been doing lately, actually ... bad dog, no biscuit!) I put a box or so through it each month.What are you using for defensive purposes, ammunition wise?

ST911
12-09-09, 15:33
With the mixed reviews and user feedback, are they worth the gamble? Looking for an "always" pocket gun that is semi-auto. Not interested in j-frames, LCPs or Kel-Tecs. Opinions, experiences....? I'm an HK and Sig snob so not interested in Glocks, XDs or revolvers. I know, I'm limiting myself, but my P2000SK isn't quite pocket worthy.

I'm not keen on a single-action pocket gun.

A friend has a P238 that runs well, but so far she is only shooting two different loads. One is a ~90 grain FMJ, the other JHP-XTP. A couple of other P238s around are finicky. Most folks are passing on them in favor of the LCP.

These guns are best as 2nd, or 3rd+ BUGs, not primaries.

gtmtnbiker98
12-09-09, 18:03
Does anybody have any experience with the P238, other than conjecture?

ST911
12-09-09, 20:41
Does anybody have any experience with the P238, other than conjecture?

Observed performance is conjecture?

1. the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.
2. an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.
3. Obsolete. the interpretation of signs or omens.

NinjaTactics
12-09-09, 21:57
I don't have any trigger time with the units in question, but have been doing research for myself on these units as well. Nutnfancy (who I believe is a member on M4C too) does some reviews of both the P238 and the Ruger LCP, so those may be of use to you. He has a very high opinion of both of these it sounds like.
Tabletop review of the Sig P238 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PgrjCy58d0
Shooting the Ruger LCP .380 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-uRVn4irQ
Tabletop review of the Ruger LCP .380 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWmBlmLTzQ&NR=1

For an always carry they both seem like pretty good options, if you're willing to use .380 caliber (as opposed to other slim and small options like Kahr PM9/PM40 or Walther PPS 9/40, in more common and cheaper 9mm or 40S&W).

Things that I'm juggling with:
1) round count - all of the .380 variants and Walther PPS variants seem to be around 7 rounds, whereas your Glock G26/G27 and Kahrm PM9/PM40 seem to be around 10 rounds (albeit at a slight increase in bulk or width).
2) ammo and training cost - .380 seems to be about 25-50% more for cost of rounds, so it's definitely more expensive if you're going to be training and firing a lot. How much more expensive? Probably not a huge difference in the long run if you ultimately value the slim size of the aforementioned guns.
3) replacement parts - the Internet has made finding everything much easier, but Glock accessories and replacement parts are still cheaper and easier to find than anything else I've found in my limited experience.
4) how do they shoot in my hands? - I haven't yet shot most of these, so have no idea of how accurate, quick, and responsive I can be with each different platform. My funds are limited at this point, but hopefully in 2010 I'll be able to change that and dedicate more money to training and testing.
5) compatibility with other weapon systems - as an example, a Glock G27 has a lot of parts (and magazines) in common with a G22/G23, as well as having the same ammunition. Tactically this could be extremely important, if for example I wanted to have a G23 as my primary system and a G27 as a backup (or always carry system).

What other issues do you guys take into consideration besides this obvious stuff?

ToddG
12-09-09, 22:41
What are you using for defensive purposes, ammunition wise?

Gold Dot. A fed agency I've worked with issues it for .380 backup guns and has been happy with its performance. I doubt it's really substantially better than FMJ, but it makes me feel better. :cool:

Marcus L.
12-10-09, 09:12
I don't own a P238, but I've probably put 200rds through a friend of mines. The pistol is quite accurate and recoil is mild. It feels great in the hand, and looks cool. However, I did experience 4 failures to eject, and 1 failure to feed. The problem with a lot of .380acp pistols is that they are so small in the grip that you don't have strong enough hold to prevent limp wristing. Combine that with a locking breech action which requires more umpf to keep going and you've got some reliability problems. My Sig P232 on the other hand is probably the most reliable .380acp I've ever shot. In the last 2000rds I've shot through it I've only experienced 1 failure to eject which I blame on reloads. It's quite accurate as well.

gtriever
12-10-09, 13:06
Here's a report that I posted about 6 weeks ago on another site; since then I've put an additional 200 rounds through the little beastie with zero malfunctions. To me this thing is definitely a keeper for use as a BUG:

Took my new Sig P238 to the range today for its first outing. It was field stripped beforehand, but not cleaned or lubed since it looked good-to-go straight out of the box. It is a post-recall production pistol, s/n 010xxx, with the "newer" model magazine with the rounded follower.

The Good:

It ate all the ammo I threw at it; S&B 90gr FMJ, Magtech 95gr FMJ, and finally some 90gr Speer GDHP. Recoil is minimal for a little mousegun, and a gazillion times better than the KelTec P3AT I previously owned. The single-action trigger pull is crisp and the sights (with tritium inserts, no less) are very easy to see. Much better than the little nubs on the K-Ts and Rugers. The thumb safety is tight, and locks into place very well. I have no concerns about carrying this pistol cocked and locked with an appropriate holster. There have been complaints about not being able to load 6+1, but I had no problems with it. This little mouse is actually a pleasure to shoot, and it shoots better than I do.

The Bad:

Only one magazine comes with the pistol. After reading about the possibility of Colt Mustang mags working with the P238, I decided to try one. Out of 96 total rounds fired, there were three malfunctions, all when using the (you guessed it) Mustang mag. All three occurred on the last round in the Colt mag. The follower on the Mustang mag is shaped differently than the "new" Sig mag, and extends just a bit higher. I recommend using only Sig mags unless it's an extreme situation.

The Ugly:

The Rainbow Titanium was the only model of the P238 left in the entire store, and nobody else within 100 miles had a P238 in stock either. Actually, the Rainbow Titanium finish kinda grows on you (just like a fungus) after the initial shock wears off... :rolleyes:

TNshooter
12-11-09, 11:58
I have personally seen two different owners having problems with their magazines. Specifically, the spring got trapped behind the back of the follower.
seizing the follower in the mag. It took considerable effort to "trap" the spring and allow the follower to come free. We reinstalled the follower, but I would have some real concerns regarding the reliablity of the magazine. I think there is (was?) a problem with the design of the follower that would allow the spring to get trapped behind it.

I have heard of problems with the P238 jamming, but I have not seen that myself. I spoke with one internet vender and he was not carrying the 238 due to the problems and his concern for customer satisfaction.
YMMV

gtmtnbiker98
12-11-09, 16:11
Thanks folks! I've decided to scrap the idea of the P238 and the .380 in general. I will make due with my P2000SK V3 9mm for discreet carry. It will just have to do.

G-2
12-14-09, 07:56
I prefer my Colt Pocketlite, which this pistol is a copy of. All of the Pocketlites we've owned have eaten all the ammo we ran through them. Sig custom shop says you can't put an ambi-safety on the P238 either, though I've seen them with ambi-safetys. In the size/ammo/semi-auto class, Colt Pocketlite, the ideal BUG. Just our $.02
:cool: