PDA

View Full Version : Future designs drop the four rails?

tirod
12-10-09, 09:44
Four rail handguards are definitely a part of the AR market, having been used on various models overseas. Kitted out with lights, lasers, and grips, they still seem to fill the ads.

It's not going to be like that in ten years.

All the newer "test" models are dropping rails like dead flies off a bug zapper. What's causing that?

'90's technology optics took up a lot of real estate because of the batteries. And hoisting a couple of lithiums in every accessory added to the weight. One thing that will continue to happen is product improvement and miniaturization. Those accessories will continue to get smaller, use less power, and use it more efficiently. They will simply shrink to the point of being smaller than the mounting system.

They are also being combined into multi use modules, with two or more functions, completely eliminating the need for a second location to mount. The four rails will become redundant, overkill for a newer generation that won't need them. Today's hot ticket item becomes tomorrows retro bling.

It's not quite like tailfins, the rails were used. But the need is becoming much less. The next open competition will be a good example of the change.

rob_s
12-10-09, 10:55
I see the move in the industry as a whole as similar to individual's needs. For a first-time buyer it may be better to have four full rails so that they can easily work out how and where they want their various accessories attached. The industry as a whole is the same way, everyone needed to figure out what should be mounted and where.

crossgun
12-10-09, 11:05
For me I could get by with the 12 and 6 o'clock rails. The 3 and 9 serve me no purpose.

While I kind of like the idea of putting rails where I want them I’m not sure that idea fits the needs of the Big Army and LE. I still feel there is an argument for having like weapons set up in the exact same configuration so that all users have the same feel and function.

Other than lights and the occasional sling mount what else if anything is mounted on the side rails that dictate their existence?

Bowser
12-10-09, 11:12
The Wilson Combat Quadrail is interesting. I thought it looked funny, but when I played with it in person and put one on a build, it felt kidna nice.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/images2/product/quadrail.jpg

pezboy
12-10-09, 11:59
For me I could get by with the 12 and 6 o'clock rails. The 3 and 9 serve me no purpose.

While I kind of like the idea of putting rails where I want them I’m not sure that idea fits the needs of the Big Army and LE. I still feel there is an argument for having like weapons set up in the exact same configuration so that all users have the same feel and function.

Other than lights and the occasional sling mount what else if anything is mounted on the side rails that dictate their existence?

I need at least some rail to mount my light and sling swivel mounts (if needed) and sometimes ir laser on the 3 or 9.
I think the best thing are the forearms that allow rails to be attached where needed like the Viking Tactics, Remington MSR, and the ACR.
I actually cover most of the rails on my forends with rail covers (except the top). I don't mind the extra size they add, the only downside is spending money on rail covers and cutting them the proper size.
Dustin

Chameleox
12-10-09, 12:47
I think Rob S pretty much nailed it. I have an M&P15T at home with quad rails. All that's on them is a vfg, light and a sling mount. That's it. Lots of wasted rail space. Now, we're looking to get new patrol rifles for work. Can't bring in my Smith, but we're getting Colts (twisting my arm;)).
For my work gun, I imagine going in a direction similar to Rob's 11.5"(?) with the MOE handguard. mounting a light and a sling mount of some sort.
For a gun that's going to be carried around a lot, the rails can get heavy and uncomfortable, and for the ranges involved, free float isn't a necessity.

chadbag
12-10-09, 13:25
couple of random thoughts

I screw around with placement of some things as I get experience or learn something new or replace or upgrade gear. It is easier to remove a rail cover than to unmount a rail piece and remount it elsewhere.

a rail machined into the forearm is more robust and reliable than one attached using screws or bolts or similar...

eternal24k
12-10-09, 13:28
The Wilson Combat Quadrail is interesting. I thought it looked funny, but when I played with it in person and put one on a build, it felt kidna nice.

where can I learn more about this?

chenzzo
12-10-09, 13:34
where can I learn more about this?

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/r_quadrailwc.asp

ForTehNguyen
12-10-09, 13:55
yea theres a lotta wasted railspace on ARs, on the SCAR and ACR at least they have less railspace. ACR has 4 and 8 oclock offsets also

Molon
12-10-09, 14:36
“Future designs”? Multiple manufacturers have been making free-float handguards without rails for years now (along with the option to add rails). PRI and JP Enterprises being just two of the more notable designs.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/sfgcpvy3x9.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9572/shootingcoatandrifle01resizedframedmn6.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/cb37po8eac.jpg

glocktogo
12-10-09, 14:37

It either needs a single slot at the back end for a Daniel Defense QD mount or an integrated one.

Slippers
12-10-09, 15:08
It either needs a single slot at the back end for a Daniel Defense QD mount or an integrated one.

I agree. Also, some people like the feel of various panels on the side, be it magpul, tango, kac, etc. A rail like that could be too limiting, depending on the user. Definitely comes down to personal preference, and needs.

At least with the viking rail system or magpul handguard, you can add rail sections as needed.

scottryan
12-10-09, 15:54
I agree with the OP.

I just don't find them as useful as some.

I mount my light on my FSB or the barrel.

The only thing attached to my rail at the present is a TD stubby VFG and I really don't think I need it either.

kennith13
12-10-09, 17:04
Rails are a direct extension of the AR platform's modularity and versatility. Quad rail setups, with a rail in place of the carry handle as well, are essentially the epitome of standardized, flexible mounting solutions for a wide array of supplementary equipment.

Flat tops, a little more development, and rails have allowed the controversial AR platform to mature into the go-to weapon for national defense. No matter what the mission, a minimum of part swapping and supplementary training can bring to field the same fighting force with vastly different specializations.

I don't think they are going anywhere until a new weapon system is developed to properly replace the AR platform.

And when that new system is developed, it's got some seriously big shoes to fill nowadays. For the military, the AR is now the weapon it should have always been. We can still do better, but if today's railed-up, smooth running ARs were fielded to begin with, the AR's introduction would have been quite a different experience for everyone.

In my opinion, it is late to the party, but it's finally right. The modularity makes sense now that everything on it is modular. The sheer variety of different setups on this website alone is testament to the versatility of the platform once rails are added.

At least in the military, rails are more than likely here to stay for quite some time. Civilian fashion trends may differ.