PDA

View Full Version : Mystery as spiral blue light display hovers above Norway

ZDL
12-10-09, 12:20

Irish
12-10-09, 12:41
That's realllllly weird! I used to live in Huntington Beach and occasionally you'd see the rocket test launches off the coast of LA and they'd make some crazy weird patterns in the sky as well, but nothing like that!

chadbag
12-10-09, 13:22
The Russians are now copping to it and admitting they had a failed launch of their new sub launched SLBM and that is most likely what people in Norway saw. (according to a few news reports this morning)

four
12-10-09, 13:27
so in the New Century we say Missile Test and not Weather Balloon?

SWATcop556
12-10-09, 13:34
so in the New Century we say Missile Test and not Weather Balloon?

Minus the little green men of course. :cool:

Rider79
12-10-09, 18:23
I was really expecting a joke about Obama to be in here somewhere.

tampam4
12-10-09, 18:45
towards the end of the video when it "opened up" and turned black, it almost looked like a black hole:eek::cool:

SeriousStudent
12-10-09, 18:58
I was really expecting a joke about Obama to be in here somewhere.

I was surprised not to find a joke about K-Mart.......

RAM Engineer
12-10-09, 19:04
If I'd seen that in the sky, my first thought would have been: "That #%$*@-ing Large Hadron Collider!"

SteyrAUG
12-10-09, 19:19
That would probably freak me out pretty good.

11Bravo
12-10-09, 19:40
It's beginning.
1107 days and no wake-up. :eek:

Safetyhit
12-10-09, 20:37
If it was a missile, why did the area seem illuminated after it burned out? Strong moonlight perhaps?

Oh well, I suspect it probably was a spinning long-range missile, just happened to look excessively odd for whatever reason.

ZDL
12-10-09, 20:47

CarlosDJackal
12-10-09, 21:17
To me that looks like someone projecting some sort of light show onto cloud, fog or haze.

jmp45
12-10-09, 21:32
This is really crazy.. Had to be at least 15 years ago early fall, eastern Ohio, I had the telescope out with my wife and son, and we never do that.. It was a new moon that night too. We saw the exact same thing. Didn't even bother looking through the scope. I got a neighbor out his house to witness, called up my dad who was really deep into astronomy, saddly to say he missed it. It was reported that night on the local Cleveland news and was reported to be seen all the way to east coast. Same thing, like a pin wheel just spinning maybe for at least 10 to 15 minutes. They never did report what was the source. I really got excited seeing the video, reminding me of that event. We just figured it was a military test of some kind. I have to find a youtube video to send to my son and see if it triggers his memory.. :)

jmp45
12-10-09, 21:37
Well it wasn't quite like this, it was a spiral spinning but not with a light path up to it.. This really does look like a projection to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/591531/4_21_b450.jpg

kwelz
12-10-09, 21:51
Looks like the Eye of Terror is forming. We are all boned!

I know at least a couple members will get the reference! :D

Abraxas
12-10-09, 22:20
Looks like the Eye of Terror is forming. We are all boned!

I know at least a couple members will get the reference! :D

Please explain for those who do not.

Heavy Metal
12-10-09, 22:25
Its Obama's Nobel Prize Halo.

kwelz
12-10-09, 22:43
Hah. Ok.

There is a Tabletop War Gaming system called Warhammer 40K. Hmm How best to explain this.

The good guys are a genocidal, xenophobic, corrupt and reactionary dictatorship who think the solution to everything is a Flame thrower or turning a planet into a barren airless rock.
So you can imagine how bad the "bad guys" are LOL.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Eye_of_Terror

In the lore the Eye of Terror is essentially a gateway to hell. Demons, corrupted humans. All sorts of nasty things. I know there are a number of fans here because when I put up my Profile pic (which is one of the emblems from it) I got a lot of PMs commenting on it.

The lore, Novels, etc is actually really interesting. Lots of good books as well as a number of crappy ones.

Ridge_Runner_5
12-10-09, 23:22
towards the end of the video when it "opened up" and turned black, it almost looked like a black hole:eek::cool:

It looks EXACTLY like the outlet of a worm hole or something...

BAC
12-10-09, 23:36
Methinks you need to share some imagery with NASA and the rest of the scientific community... :eek:

-B

uwe1
12-11-09, 01:00
From: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34362960/ns/technology_and_science-space/

Russia admits missile caused UFO lights
Unusual display, seen from Norway, traced to failure of test launch

By Clara Moskowitz
updated 5:12 p.m. MT, Thurs., Dec . 10, 2009

A spectacular spiral light show in the sky above Norway on Wednesday was caused by a Russian missile that failed just after launch, according to Russia's defense ministry.

When the rocket motor spun out of control, it likely created the heavenly spiral of white light near where the missile was launched from a submarine in the White Sea.

The Russian Defense Ministry confirmed that a Bulava ballistic missile test had failed.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

"It has been established ... that the missile's first two stages worked as normal, but there was a technical malfunction at the next, third, stage of the trajectory," Reuters quoted a Defense Ministry spokesman as saying.

Paal Brekke, a senior adviser at the Norwegian Space Centre Drammensvn, told Space.com that the cloud was "very spectacular."

"When we looked at the videos people submitted to the media, we quickly concluded that it looked like a rocket or missile out of control, thus the spiraling effect," Brekke said. "I think this is the first time we have seen such a display from a launch failure."

The phenomenon was seen by people all over northern Norway.

"It was a fairly stunning display, and we were really surprised to see it so well-observed," Brekke said.

Viewers described an eerie white cloud with a piercing blue-green beam coming out of it.

"It consisted initially of a green beam of light similar in color to the aurora with a mysterious rotating spiral at one end," Nick Banbury of Harstad, Norway, told Spaceweather.com. "This spiral then got bigger and bigger until it turned into a huge halo in the sky with the green beam extending down to Earth."

Banbury said he saw the lights on his way to work between 7:50 and 8 a.m. local time, or 1:50 to 2 a.m. ET Wednesday.

"We are used to seeing lots of auroras here in Norway, but this was different," he said.

Before the missile test was confirmed, many people suggested the bright light pattern might have been a UFO. Russia finally admitted to the accident, which is an embarrassing mishap for a rocket that had already failed six of 13 previous tests, according to the BBC.

The Bulava missile is designed to carry six individually targeted nuclear warheads over a range of up to 6,200 miles (10,000 km), the BBC reported. The missile had been touted as Russia's newest technological breakthrough to support its nuclear deterrent, but the numerous failures have led to second thoughts.

"This is a catastrophe ... Huge funds were siphoned off from Russia's moribund navy for the Bulava project. In fact, billions of dollars have been flushed down the drain," Alexander Khramchikhin, chief analyst at the Moscow-based Institute of Military and Political Analysis, told Reuters.

Analysts criticize Moscow's hurry to build the Bulava, as it already has a highly reliable Soviet-built Sineva submarine-based ballistic missile. They also question awarding the Bulava contract to the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology, which has never before built missiles for submarines.

Ridge_Runner_5
12-11-09, 01:27
And yet, here is a similar event from Moscow, 2 years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0smLG5gk54

evil_nadman
12-11-09, 03:38
I was thinking it looked like something was like coming from some kind of slipspace or slowing down from light speed! Then again I watch and read too much SCFI :D.

-Evil Nadman :eek:

Abraxas
12-11-09, 05:47
Hah. Ok.

There is a Tabletop War Gaming system called Warhammer 40K. Hmm How best to explain this.

The good guys are a genocidal, xenophobic, corrupt and reactionary dictatorship who think the solution to everything is a Flame thrower or turning a planet into a barren airless rock.
So you can imagine how bad the "bad guys" are LOL.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Eye_of_Terror

In the lore the Eye of Terror is essentially a gateway to hell. Demons, corrupted humans. All sorts of nasty things. I know there are a number of fans here because when I put up my Profile pic (which is one of the emblems from it) I got a lot of PMs commenting on it.

The lore, Novels, etc is actually really interesting. Lots of good books as well as a number of crappy ones.

Aah, I see. Thanks for the answer.

jmp45
12-11-09, 06:32
Its Obama's Nobel Prize Halo.

Huffington liked to associate the two... :rolleyes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/09/norway-spiral-watch-stran_n_386281.html

Outlander Systems
12-11-09, 10:14
Whew, glad it was just a missle.

:rolleyes:

Thank you, mass media, for assuming, apparently rightly, that we were all born yesterday.

kwelz
12-11-09, 14:09
You know, even if it was a missile there is no way I would tell people that if I was the .gov. It is just to unbelievable.

Alex V
12-11-09, 15:05

EXACTLY!

Looked like something out of StarGate or Contact! Almost looked as if some energy was directed into the sky and opened up a black hole/worm hole...

Ridge_Runner_5
12-11-09, 18:09
Skip ahead to 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYVAUN_boCo

Argus
12-11-09, 18:29
I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.

Nicodimas
12-11-09, 19:14
The good guys are a genocidal, xenophobic, corrupt and reactionary dictatorship

The Imperium does not accept dissidence from the likes of you! You genes should be pacified...

Long live the Emporer!
While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, there can be no peace!

That was 100% for sure the LHC..some type of strange matter /tin

kwelz
12-12-09, 14:20
The Imperium does not accept dissidence from the likes of you! You genes should be pacified...

Long live the Emporer!
While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, there can be no peace!

That was 100% for sure the LHC..some type of strange matter /tin

LOL I was getting worried I would be the only one in this thread who got it. :P

And your prayers to our immortal emperor are sorely lacking.

For the Emperor is the salvation of Mankind.
Obey His words,
for He will lead you into the light of the future.
Heed His wisdom,
for He will protect you from evil.
Whisper His prayers with devotion,
for they will salve your soul.
Honour His servants,
for they speak in His voice.
Tremble before His majesty,
for we all walk in His immortal shadow.

Now repent or be cleaned by flame!

Wow. The other members must think we have lost our minds!

AJS
12-13-09, 08:11
New headline

"Russians corner continent sized firework display market"