PDA

View Full Version : SBR Build: Step by Step

sencless
03-12-07, 05:54
Hey all... just documenting the steps in making my first SBR.

Parts being used:
Lower: LMT Defender 2000 w/ 2stage trigger
Upper: LMT 10.5"
LMT M16 BCG
Aimpoint ML3 2MOA
LT-150 Aimpoint Mount
Arms #40 Folding Rear Sight
Magpul Maid grip

Form 1 Submission
Submitted as: Trust
Submitted on: 3/5/07
Check Cashed on: 3/9/07
Pending as of:?
Approved on: 3/28/07
Received on: 4/2/07
29 Days Mailbox to Mailbox

NFA Engraving - done by Orion Arms:
Overall had a good experience with Orion Arms. Engraving work is real nice, only problem I had was that their puppy chewed on my Ergo grip... :confused:
I was promptly emailed and made aware of the situation and immediately offered a refund for the grip... Shit happens, no big deal, check was in the box for the amount I asked when I received my lower. I also must say, communication was awesome!

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/engrav01.jpg

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/engrav02.jpg

utarch00
03-12-07, 13:32
This is great. I have been thinking about doint this myself. It will be great to see the process step by step.

sencless
03-28-07, 08:29
Just a small update...

Still waiting on Form 1 to arrive. I am expecting it sometime next week or beginning of the following. As of today, it's been 24 days since it was mailed. Going by the time lines I see, I should have it soon.

I picked up an Aimpoint ML3 in 2 MOA for a sweet price here locally. If anyone is in the Miami area or South FL for that matter, I recommend Lou's Police and Security (www.louspolice.com).

I also ordered the following from Grant (www.gandrtactical.com):
LMT 10.5" Upper
LMT M16 BCG
LMT CH
Regular handgaurds for now
Larue Tactical LT-150 Aimpoint mount
Arms #40 folding rear sight

I got the impression that Grant is a stand up guy when I called him yesterday to place my order... I have seem tons of feedback from happy customers here on this board and I'm sure in the coming days I will be one too! :p

kbi
03-28-07, 14:50
Ryan at Orion arms was very professional and helpful with the questions I had and the turn around time was quick.

$42.00 all together.

Oh yeah heres what Im topping it off with when the form comes back.

I already have the LMT lower (non sopmod)

10.5 LMT upper

LMT F/A bolt carrier

ISMI Spring ( as a replacement when needed )

LMT Heavy buffer

Crane O-ring,spring & insert

PRI gas buster handle . I most definetly plan on a suppressor for it just trying to figure out which one though?

And I figure I may as well put some magpul orange followers in my mag's for reliabilty as well .

SuicideHz
03-28-07, 18:37
Your engraving looks to be filled in better than mine- that's for sure. Some edges of my lettering is silver and there is a little excess of the black paint he uses in other areas. I wasn't too happy but didn't email to complain. The engraving is great, don't get me wrong, it's just the "refinishing."

Jon G23
03-28-07, 19:30
I mailed mine on 3/10... this will be interesting to see how the time frame goes!

Orion does nice work. He did mine too and was fast and easy to deal with.

SuicideHz
03-29-07, 20:46
Did I mention I mailed mine on 3/1?

sencless
03-30-07, 13:24
Approved on 3/28 :D :D :D

Jon G23
03-30-07, 16:27
Approved on 3/28 :D :D :D

Cool! So how can you check to see if one has been approved?? I just figured I'd keep an eye on my mailbox!!

SuicideHz
03-30-07, 18:01
Approved already? Damn. Just checked on mine today. Went pending on Friday the 23rd. Hopefully it was approved this afternoon after I called.

Call and ask. 304-616-4500. Have your serial number handy. I had to come up with mine off the top of my head. Forgot about that part...

They'll tell you it was either received, pending or approved and that's it.

sencless
03-30-07, 21:44
Approved already? Damn. Just checked on mine today. Went pending on Friday the 23rd. Hopefully it was approved this afternoon after I called.

Call and ask. 304-616-4500. Have your serial number handy. I had to come up with mine off the top of my head. Forgot about that part...

They'll tell you it was either received, pending or approved and that's it.

Yup.. lady said it was approved and mailed... So I should have it in my hands on Mon or Tues... I went the trust route, did you?

SuicideHz
03-30-07, 22:18
yep, trust for me. but then again, i put the wrong name on the money order. it was close, but not perfect.

you should visit the thread here where you can request to change your screenname and get the version that's spelled correctly :p

sencless
03-30-07, 22:23
yep, trust for me. but then again, i put the wrong name on the money order. it was close, but not perfect.

you should visit the thread here where you can request to change your screenname and get the version that's spelled correctly :p

That was an intentional misspelling... plus its been my handle for close to 10 yrs :D

sencless
04-02-07, 21:52
Just got it in my hands... hopefully the UPS man will show up with my upper tomorrow...

nationwide
04-02-07, 22:10
My SBR was my first NFA item, and I was actually happier when that got approved than when my full auto Uzi was approved. :D

I think I actually enjoy firing the SBR more than the Uzi...

Jon G23
04-03-07, 04:53
I mailed mine on 3/10 and the check was cashed a week later. Yesterday I called to check on it and was told it is not in the system yet! Damn!

sencless
04-05-07, 15:35
Well.... UPS man just dropped off my stuff from Grant at G and R Tactical :D :D :D :D

Finally Assembled!

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/IMG_4555.jpg

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/IMG_4557.jpg

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/IMG_4559.jpg

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/IMG_4562.jpg

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/IMG_4564.jpg

SuicideHz
04-05-07, 17:40
****ing ATF. I just got my Form1 back from William Shipman with a letterhead stating "this particular Form 1 cannot be used. The ATF Signature block must appear on the front of the Form. I have enclosed a new set of Form 1's for your use."

WTF is that? I downloaded the damn form as a PDF and printed it as per instructions, just like my last Form 4 was done STRAIGHT FROM THEIR WEBSITE. The new forms are printed a little smaller so that signature block ends up on the front page. Jeez...

Then the letter states

"Your 30 or 90 day processing date does not begin until we have received a perfect (complete) application(s). Please make the appropriate corrections and return with Error Letter to NFA Branch, 244 Needy Road Martinsburg WV, 25405."

Damn this pisses me off...

sencless
04-05-07, 18:19
****ing ATF. I just got my Form1 back from William Shipman with a letterhead stating "this particular Form 1 cannot be used. The ATF Signature block must appear on the front of the Form. I have enclosed a new set of Form 1's for your use."

WTF is that? I downloaded the damn form as a PDF and printed it as per instructions, just like my last Form 4 was done STRAIGHT FROM THEIR WEBSITE. The new forms are printed a little smaller so that signature block ends up on the front page. Jeez...

Then the letter states

"Your 30 or 90 day processing date does not begin until we have received a perfect (complete) application(s). Please make the appropriate corrections and return with Error Letter to NFA Branch, 244 Needy Road Martinsburg WV, 25405."

Use the ones from www.titleii.com. That's the one I used and it worked...

Jon G23
04-05-07, 18:37
Ouch!! I hope mine is not the wrong form!! I called today and they said my "Form 4" has been in the pending section since yesterday... the only problem.. it is a Form ONE, not FOUR!! WTF??

We'll see!

Then the letter states

Alaskagrown
04-05-07, 19:37
Use the ones from www.titleii.com. That's the one I used and it worked...

both the ATF's and the Title II forms have the signature block on the back of the page

SuicideHz
04-05-07, 20:11
Form 1s are to make a firearm like a silencer, SBR, SBS etc. and the Form 4 is to transfer one. Are you making or transfering John G?

Mine went pending the 23rd and I received it back today. There's your timeline.

I NOW have ATF Form1s that have the signature on the FRONT.

Like I said, most on the front is shrunk a little to fit the extra inch for the ATF.

The rest is on back.

Two forms are attached at the top and bottom of one another and are perforated at the joint and the second form has instructions attached at the end.

The ATF should allow a month or two of leeway or a grace period on these new forms. I downloaded the form one day, filled it out the next and sent it in. Not like I pulled a stack out of the barn from 20 years ago.

Jon G23
04-05-07, 20:32
I am making an SBR so I used a Form 1.... but the lady who answered the NFA phone said my Form 4 is now pending! Yikes!

sencless
04-05-07, 20:34
Form 1s are to make a firearm like a silencer, SBR, SBS etc. and the Form 4 is to transfer one. Are you making or transfering John G?

Mine went pending the 23rd and I received it back today. There's your timeline.

I NOW have ATF Form1s that have the signature on the FRONT.

Like I said, most on the front is shrunk a little to fit the extra inch for the ATF.

The rest is on back.

Two forms are attached at the top and bottom of one another and are perforated at the joint and the second form has instructions attached at the end.

The ATF should allow a month or two of leeway or a grace period on these new forms. I downloaded the form one day, filled it out the next and sent it in. Not like I pulled a stack out of the barn from 20 years ago.

Good luck man, I hope that does it for you...

Alaskagrown
04-05-07, 20:43
SuicideHz - what is the date at the bottom of the form? is there another date on the top of the form?

SuicideHz
04-05-07, 21:21
Nope. They are actually BOTH dated the SAME believe it or not. I looked for a revision date right away. I was pissed.

Senseless- it had better do it for me or else I want a f*cking Treasury Check.

SuicideHz
04-05-07, 21:30
Yep. July 2004.

Same information different locations. I don't get it.

Someone's getting a damn phonecall tomorrow.

SuicideHz
04-05-07, 21:32
Titleii's has the signature on the last page still. Even updated April 5.

SuicideHz
04-05-07, 22:30
Guess which form the ATF still has up for downloading? **** an "A" right- it's the "non valid" form.

C4IGrant
04-06-07, 08:49
Very nice!

C4

SuicideHz
04-06-07, 17:39
UPDATE!

Spoke with William Shipman today.

I told him who I was and what had happened. He knows the "wrong" form is on the internet. I asked why it was there 2 days before I sent it in and is still up now. He said they haven't changed it and that's all he had to say about that.

I said I know of other people who have used the same form and got their's back 3 days before mine with a stamp and mine's without. He said he knows that. Other people apparently don't do their job and reject the old forms.

But then again, why is the old form still up?

Mine will supposedly be run right through when he gets it back. I think he's got a stamp set aside for me.

Just a heads up that you might want to get the correct forms just so you don't run into any problems along the way. You could just take your chances though.

sencless
04-08-07, 21:41
Small range update....

This is a pic of a group at 100yds. This was my first time ever shooting at 100 yds.
Obviously my 10.5" LMT SBR was used and my non magnified Aimpoint.

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/04072007.jpg

This rifle was not meant to be a precision AR, but I think with more practice, i can get that group tighter. This was a 12rd group (I know the standard is 5rds) using Federal XM193 55gr factory ammo. The group is 3.5" at its widest. I plan on attending my first IDPA type carbine match later this month, should be fun! I also fired some Remington UMC .223 55gr Wally World special through it with no problems.

Jon G23
04-09-07, 05:48
Cool. Looks great for your first attempt!

Jon G23
04-09-07, 20:06
I mailed my Form 1 on 3/10 and it was approved on 4/6. Mine was a Trust. It should arrive in the next day or three!!

Woo hoo!

SuicideHz
04-09-07, 20:14
Good job on that at 100!

2 MOA Aimpoint or what?

sencless
04-10-07, 08:19
Good job on that at 100!

2 MOA Aimpoint or what?

Yes sir, 2 MOA Aimpoint.

Jon G23
04-20-07, 21:31
I mailed mine on 3/10... this will be interesting to see how the time frame goes!

Orion does nice work. He did mine too and was fast and easy to deal with.

Wow... my Form 1 was approved on April 6th and I just recieved it today!!

Anyway.... Yee Haa!! I am happy!

sencless
04-20-07, 21:58
Wow... my Form 1 was approved on April 6th and I just recieved it today!!

Anyway.... Yee Haa!! I am happy!

Sweet now put it together, snap some pics and post!!!

SuicideHz
04-20-07, 23:35
Guess who still hasn't gotten their form back...

Damn.

W. Shipman is a stickler and I'm paying the price.

Debbie was the examiner for my can and that only took 32 days. Different form but had she been the examiner on this form it would have been finished by now.

I thought once you had an examiner, they were "yours" either by area, name, address or something...

SuicideHz
04-21-07, 17:59
Got it today!

Guess what's on the back of my Form4 after I had all these "problems."

Jon G23
04-21-07, 19:06
Got it today!

A Smiley Face?

Well.... I got mine yesterday but.... today my wife forced me to buy a new Z71 Chevy.... looks like it'll be 2 weeks or so until I can spring for my upper! :-(

sencless
04-21-07, 21:32
Got it today!

Congrats!!!! Post pics!!!

A Smiley Face?

Well.... I got mine yesterday but.... today my wife forced me to buy a new Z71 Chevy.... looks like it'll be 2 weeks or so until I can spring for my upper! :-(

I hear ya... I'm about to take the plunge on 4/12/08... Getting all my toys now or should I say as many as I can now (you can never have enough) before the wife can nag me to death about other things that are needed. :p

SuicideHz
04-22-07, 01:37
No, there's NOTHING on the back of the Form.

They made me fill out the new form and send it in after I printed the old one from the computer, front and back on one sheet. Then they stamped Dawn's name and date on the front. Then they photocopied it and stamped it. THEN sent it to me.