PDA

View Full Version : Degaussing

ToddG
12-10-09, 14:01
Let's pretend I'm not DIY kind of guy and that I have zero knowledge of electronics. Let's just pretend that.

Any advice on how to easily (and preferably inexpensively) degauss a handful of small metal parts which may or may not be pistol parts?

snafu
12-10-09, 14:24
So you may have or not,a possible magnetic firearm? Stop using steel cased ammo.:p

Stand by, to stand by, for further word ,on a possible maybe, that probably isn't going to happen. :D

BTW thanks for your site,reading through it.

perna
12-10-09, 14:26
Are you trying to demagnetize the parts?

Preferred User
12-10-09, 14:30
Your friends at Craftsman (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945021000P?vName=Tools&cName=HandTools&sName=Screwdrivers&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a) can help you out. And rather inexpensively.

Preferred User
12-10-09, 14:33
FWIW A degausser is typically used to erase AV or other media and range from not terrible expensive (http://www.datalinksales.com/phpstore/store_pages/detail.php?product_ID=PF-211) to rather pricey (http://www.datalinksales.com/phpstore/store_pages/detail.php?product_ID=8000).

Icculus
12-10-09, 14:39
Interesting I didn't stumble on any of the less expensive ones. All the ones I saw were like $600 or more. I'm definitely not an expert but on the cheap you might could find an old trashed crt monitor, take the degaussing coil out, run about 20-30 volts AC through the coil and use that to demagnetize the parts? maybe?

larry0071
12-10-09, 14:41
We do NDE here where I work, and part of the NDE training centers on your question. The rule of thumb is this:

"Heat it, Beat it, or A/C it!"

Heat will break the field.
Vibrating or beating an object will break the field.
Applying a magnetic force with A/C current and slowly pulling the part out of the A/C field will break the field.

We typically use the A/C method, be it with a coil (pass part through the A/C coil) or with wire from a "portable" Magnaflux machine. I can set the parts on the coiled wire and bring the A/C current up high and then slowly crank the current back to zero. This will shake up the magnetic alignment within the part and remove the residual field.

perna
12-10-09, 14:42
Harbor Freight makes this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5932)

Business_Casual
12-10-09, 16:01
Were you trying to see what shooting 500 rounds in a time machine does to a P30?

M_P

four
12-10-09, 16:07
We do NDE here where I work, and part of the NDE training centers on your question. The rule of thumb is this:

"Heat it, Beat it, or A/C it!"

Heat will break the field.
Vibrating or beating an object will break the field.
Applying a magnetic force with A/C current and slowly pulling the part out of the A/C field will break the field.

so would an ultrasonic cleaner break the feild?

Argus
12-10-09, 16:17
Looking forward to seeing pistol-training.com's torture test of H&K's new railgun...

lalakai
12-10-09, 17:10
when we made copies of old style cassette tapes and video tapes, we used two different degaussing AC style machines. make a couple phone calls and you can probably track down a similiar style machine that has been mothballed. Easy to use but the sequence is specific (or else it won't work). check nearby schools or colleges; if they have multi media departments, likely they've had an AC style degaussing machine.

good luck

ps...i'll put in a call to friend where we used to do our media work and see if he still has it.

Robmkivseries70
12-10-09, 18:00
Hi All,
If you have an old radio or the like, with a power transformer, ( Black cube like device that hums at 60 Hz.) and can safely run the device with the cover removed you are golden. The main problem would be not to expose yourself to any high voltages. Check it this way, use a metal screwdriver and place it on the transformer case, do not touch any wires. If you can feel the buzzing pull of the magnetic field. The parts can be degaussed. For small parts, place them the back of some duct tape and set the tape on the transformer for a few seconds. Newer devices won't have the right kind of transformer. It has to be a magnetic field changing in polarity. An old wall wart supply with a transformer inside may do the trick. It's field may be smaller so it might take a bit longer. You won't have to connect it to anything either.
Best,
Rob

ToddG
12-10-09, 22:49
Were you trying to see what shooting 500 rounds in a time machine does to a P30?

Yes, that is was will be exactly what I did am doing will do.

I appreciate all the advice, guys. For those of you suggesting I take (insert electronic device) apart and (do something requiring skill), thanks but you are talking to a guy who calls an electrician when the circuit breaker trips. OK, not really, but pretty close. :cool: