PDA

View Full Version : +2 Glock mag extensions

Animal_Mother556
12-10-09, 18:54
I ordered some G22 mags last week and when they were delivered I noticed that they came with free mag extensions. I have never used them before and was wondering if they are any good. I'm not sure what brand they are...I think they are Shearer. thanks guys.

GLOCKMASTER
12-10-09, 19:22
I run factory Glock + mag extensions on all of my G19 mags. When I first installed them I had an issue with the slide failing to lock to the rear however, after I installed Wolf extra power mag springs they have been 100% reliable.

99HMC4
12-10-09, 19:33
I ran a +2 on my G37 for a while. Only problem I ever had was one day the mag dropped and the fully loaded mag hit the flor on the extension and pretty much exploded. .45 GAP ammo all over the place, that never happened with the factory floor plate....

Animal_Mother556
12-10-09, 19:57
thanks guys. I will try them out

markman
12-11-09, 06:12
I've never had any problems with the Glock factory +2's. But like others, I have had problems with the aftermarket ones.

badcatbigbat
12-12-09, 02:20
I ordered some G22 mags last week and when they were delivered I noticed that they came with free mag extensions. I have never used them before and was wondering if they are any good. I'm not sure what brand they are...I think they are Shearer. thanks guys.

Just make sure that the +2 extension has the insert with it. I have quite a few of these little puppies and have not had any problems to date. I really like them on my spare magazines (G17), as I carry (CCW) the G19/G19 magazine with flush floor plate. Just food for thought.

Animal_Mother556
12-13-09, 15:37
these did not have any kind of insert. They are just a solid piece of plastic.

markman
12-13-09, 16:01
The factory Glock mags have a plastic insert that locks the base on. I had some cheapo ones (Target brand I think) that didn't. If you dropped them the right way, the base would fall off and rounds would go everywhere.

jaydoc1
12-13-09, 20:55
I have to chuckle at this thread because right now on one of the major 1911 forums I'm following a thread called CCW: Is 9 rounds enough (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=252808)?

I (and a few others) made the mistake of suggesting that although 9 rounds might be enough, why limit yourself to that amount by not at least carrying an extra magazine. The mockery began almost immediately. Apparently a 1911 (either 7+1 or 8+1) and no extra magazines is exactly the correct, non-paranoid, non-mall-ninja, amount. (Please also reference the Sacred Cows of Pistol Shooting thread on this site :D)

Now I love 1911s and carry them along with my G19 and M&P9 (one at a time, of course), but it confuses me that adding some rounds to your carry package in some way increases your paranoia factor.

There have been wild sarcastic tangents (including by the moderators and the site admin) concerning 100 round G19 mags, 350 round tupperware mags, etc... so this thread makes me laugh.

I want my mag extensions.

SouthParkTactical
12-14-09, 00:13
The cheap ones without the locking insert are junk... throw them away. I had one come flying off while trying to load the last round in the mag. All cartridges on the ground, spring flew away never to be seen again! :mad:

The factory Glock ones are best, and the Sherer/Pearce ones are good as well IMO. I recently switched back to the Pearce +0 pinky extensions for my G27, as I found that after about 1,000 rounds with the +1s... the factory spring got weak enough to not reliably feed the final round.

If you are going to run the +1/+2 Extensions get a stronger spring!

skyugo
12-14-09, 01:44
I have to chuckle at this thread because right now on one of the major 1911 forums I'm following a thread called CCW: Is 9 rounds enough (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=252808)?

I (and a few others) made the mistake of suggesting that although 9 rounds might be enough, why limit yourself to that amount by not at least carrying an extra magazine. The mockery began almost immediately. Apparently a 1911 (either 7+1 or 8+1) and no extra magazines is exactly the correct, non-paranoid, non-mall-ninja, amount. (Please also reference the Sacred Cows of Pistol Shooting thread on this site :D)

Now I love 1911s and carry them along with my G19 and M&P9 (one at a time, of course), but it confuses me that adding some rounds to your carry package in some way increases your paranoia factor.

There have been wild sarcastic tangents (including by the moderators and the site admin) concerning 100 round G19 mags, 350 round tupperware mags, etc... so this thread makes me laugh.

i'm pretty sure my g19 with 31 rounds (15+1 and a spare) is lighter than a 1911 with 9.

for the OP-i've got a couple G26+2 mags that work great. i'd stick with the original glock +2 floorplates... i've seen and heard bad things about other mfg's floorplates... they take quite a bit of force from the spring, and hit the deck pretty often at the range...

the G26 mags i believe use the same spring as G19 mags, so going to a +2 is no issue... if it's going on a G19 mag i'd use a G17 spring.

badcatbigbat
12-14-09, 01:52

Most of the professional training that I have received involves reloads of some sort. If +2 two means that I have less need to reload, then so be it. I am not going to go overboard by carrying some 30 round magazine for a pistol. If SHTF & I need that many rounds, then I need to fight my way to a long arm or pray for speedy backup.

If memory serves me correct, there was a shoot out in Ohio bar about 2-3 months ago. It seems like almost everyone was armed and shot what ever firearms that they had. No was injured or killed during the shoot out, hmmm.

Also, I can recall a trip not too long ago when I walked around the whole day knowing that I was carrying concealed with a spare mag & flashlight. I am truly blessed that I did not have anything happen during this outing as I would have been TARFU-ed. My holster had activated the magazine release on my firearm and all I had was a round in the chamber, 1 spare mag & the flashlight (mobile phone in the other pocket).

I believe Clint Smith stated "Two is one and one is none"!

Animal_Mother556
12-14-09, 07:41
Thanks again guys! Lots of good info. That's why I post here and not Arfcom anymore.