PDA

View Full Version : Police Shoot and Kill Man Outside Hotel in Times Square

perna
12-10-09, 19:01
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/police-shoot-man-at-hotel-in-times-square/

Updated, 5:50 p.m. | A plainclothes police sergeant fatally shot a 25-year-old man on Thursday morning outside the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Times Square after confronting the man, who he believed had been a part of a scam to intimidate tourists into buying CDs, the authorities said. The slain man was armed with a loaded Mac-10 semiautomatic pistol and had fired first, the police said.

A major police response followed the shooting, which occurred around 11:15 a.m. at 46th Street and Broadway, a tourist-packed intersection, during a weekday morning when the streets were filled with shoppers.

Emergency medical workers took the man to St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, where he died. The man was not identified, but the authorities said he lived in the Bronx and was wanted on assault and disorderly conduct charges.

A second man, his brother, was held by the police and being questioned at the Midtown South Precinct, the police said.
gun from policePolice Department Authorities said the gun was reported stolen Oct. 28.

On the man’s body, police found a business card for a Virginia gun dealer, Gary A. Lewis, who runs Gary’s Guns & Transfers in Manakin-Sabot, a pair of villages northwest of Richmond.

Hand-written on the back of the card, the police said, were these words: “I just finished watching ‘The Last Dragon.’ I feel sorry for a cop if he think I’m getting into his paddy wagon.” The gun had been reported stolen in Richmond on Oct. 28, the police said.

Looks like Gary has some explaining to do.

SteyrAUG
12-10-09, 19:14
The slain man was armed with a loaded Mac-10 semiautomatic pistol

HOLY CRAP.

Somebody in the media accurately identified a weapon and didn't call it a Mac 10 machine gun, Uzi or AK-47.

:eek:

SWATcop556
12-10-09, 19:44
Go Sarge! Good Guys:1 Bad Guys:0

Gary's not going to have a Merry Christmas.

Iraqgunz
12-10-09, 22:42
Why are we jumping to conclusions that the dealer did anything wrong? Maybe the douchebag picked up a card while casing out the shop?

jtb0311
12-10-09, 23:38
Why are we jumping to conclusions that the dealer did anything wrong? Maybe the douchebag picked up a card while casing out the shop?

Bloomberg has had a hard on for out of NY state gun dealers for some time. I seem to remember reading something about NYC singling out VA gun dealers, so I wonder if this article is loaded.

Iraqgunz
12-10-09, 23:53
I was thinking the same thing.

Bloomberg has had a hard on for out of NY state gun dealers for some time. I seem to remember reading something about NYC singling out VA gun dealers, so I wonder if this article is loaded.

perna
12-11-09, 00:37

No matter how he got the gun, the dealer is going to get raked off the coals over this just because the guy had his card. I hope for Gary's sake that the guy tried to buy a gun there and was turned down and went out and bought the stolen gun on the street.

Alex V
12-11-09, 10:29
I was shocked... not because the cop killed a guy in NYC... but because it only took 2 shots. usualy about 4 cops have to empty about 2 magazines each to hit someone in NYC. This cop must actualy know what he was doing.

Well done!

I love the stories of cops sending 40+ rounds in a stationary perps direction and hitting him 3 or 4 times. Makes me feel real safe! LOL :p

NYC needs more cops like this guy!

geminidglocker
12-11-09, 11:21
I agree. Good for the Cop. They only have to qualify once a year. When I actually go to the range, I routinely have to "Train" cops, because more times than not, they are lousy shots. I shoot in my yard, I have my own pistol range, and my own rifle range. I shoot at least three times a week, with an emphasis on training, not just making noise. If I was a sworn public servant I would shoot even more frequently.

Irish
12-11-09, 11:26

My thoughts as well. If I get into a car accident and the LEO gives me his card to follow up with him later is he guilty of something if I'm later found with his card while committing a crime?

Mac5.56
12-11-09, 12:08
HOLY CRAP.

Somebody in the media accurately identified a weapon and didn't call it a Mac 10 machine gun, Uzi or AK-47.

:eek:

Yea I have heard this guys gun described as all of those. But you forgot my favorite. "A Machine Pistol with a 30 Round Clip".

FN in MT
12-11-09, 12:16
And...this morning the Mayor of NYC stated; "Theres far too many guns on the street" .

It's NOT the Perp who commited the crime...it was the GUN.

Need to find one of those thinking, capable of commiting a crime guns one of these days. All of mine are brainless and only do what I make them do.

FN in MT

M4arc
12-11-09, 12:22
I don't believe that this guy had any business cards from VA gun shops on him. It's a lie by the major to bully the gun shops and the state around.

And now that Bob McDonnell is taking over the gov position Bloomberg is going to use anything opportunity to scare more gun shops out of business and this was just another example of how low he'll go.

Sounds like Gary’s Guns & Transfers is next on his "hit" list so he made this shit up to scare Gary into closing his doors.

skipper49
12-11-09, 16:33
My thought exactly. I don't put ANYTHING past that bunch.

SWATcop556
12-11-09, 18:34
I don't believe that this guy had any business cards from VA gun shops on him. It's a lie by the major to bully the gun shops and the state around.

And now that Bob McDonnell is taking over the gov position Bloomberg is going to use anything opportunity to scare more gun shops out of business and this was just another example of how low he'll go.

Sounds like Gary’s Guns & Transfers is next on his "hit" list so he made this shit up to scare Gary into closing his doors.

Agreed. My quote from earlier was meant more towards what .gov was going to have to say about all of this. I was not implying that Gary had done anything wrong as I do not know the man, his business, or his shop. I hope they don't make him the scapegoat.

If my initial post was misleading I apologize.

M4arc
12-11-09, 19:05
Agreed. My quote from earlier was meant more towards what .gov was going to have to say about all of this. I was not implying that Gary had done anything wrong as I do not know the man, his business, or his shop. I hope they don't make him the scapegoat.

If my initial post was misleading I apologize.

I didn't take offense or see anything wrong with your post. The fact is Bloomberg is going to continue to go after the shops like Gary's (I don't know the man but wish him well) to any extent he sees fit regardless if it's within the boundries of the law or not.

Bloomberg and his thugs already carried out illegal "straw" purchases in this state and then AG Bob McDonnell told him that if he does it again the state will take action against him. Thank God McDonnell is now our Governor!

If Bloomberg already took part in illegal activities then lying is barely a blip on his radar. He'll stop at nothing to bully small, law-abiding, Virginian, gun dealers into going out of business.

SWATcop556
12-12-09, 10:47
I didn't take offense or see anything wrong with your post. The fact is Bloomberg is going to continue to go after the shops like Gary's (I don't know the man but wish him well) to any extent he sees fit regardless if it's within the boundries of the law or not.

Bloomberg and his thugs already carried out illegal "straw" purchases in this state and then AG Bob McDonnell told him that if he does it again the state will take action against him. Thank God McDonnell is now our Governor!

If Bloomberg already took part in illegal activities then lying is barely a blip on his radar. He'll stop at nothing to bully small, law-abiding, Virginian, gun dealers into going out of business.

I quoted your post because I agreed with it and you explained it better than I could. I have a feeling Gary will be at the front end of a huge railroad if things continue along their present course.

I was also wanting to clarify my first post in general.

It will be interesting to see how this goes down.

I'm amazed Bloomberg even still has a job.

Abraxas
12-12-09, 11:07
I'm amazed Bloomberg even still has a job.

It is only because he is quick to pass out his Bloomy dollars.

subzero
12-12-09, 12:37

Agreed. I'm kinda looking forward to a throwdown between a governor who actually knows the law and some pompous douchebag mayor.

Cascades236
12-12-09, 13:14
This shitbags brother was crying that he hates the police because they killed his brother. I wish I could say that I was outraged by this kids lack of logic and accountability but birds of a feather...

Your shitbag brother shot at my brother...and the good guy won.

Jefr00
12-12-09, 13:53
I've read two different stories, oh, I meant "news articles" that identify the dealer, and it is not Gary. What really bothers me about this is the fact that the "media" do not explain the process of purchasing a firearm. Gary just did a transfer for me, and I had to provide a DL for the insta-check AND proof of citizenship for the VSP paper work. I moved here from PA, and its 4473 and insta-check only. I was tempted to post a response on some of the news sites discussing this, but then I woke up. I'm tired of the "gun dealers out of control" line, but I realized that facts don't matter to most people. Thanks for listening.