PDA

View Full Version : Looking for G-35 impressions

monkyboy
12-10-09, 19:17
I'm looking to replace an XD-45 I use in "Action Pistol" type matches. This isn't an XD bashing thread, its a good pistol that I just don"t shoot well. I'll admit it's me, not the gun. It sets too high in my hand and I have issues with the grip. I have no problems with my other .45's but they are all single stacks. I'm looking to replace it with a G-35. I'm familiar with Glocks as I have a 23. The 35 has the same feel but the longer sight picture is fantastic. I also want to stay with a .40 cal sized bullet.
I'm looking for opinions, impressions on the G-35. What would you replace the stock sights with? I've got a buyer for the XD and have the buying bug. Thanks now to any responders.

Chris Rhines
12-10-09, 19:41
I ran a Glock 35 for several years in USPSA Limited Division, made 'B' Limited with it, and was in the medals at the Area 8 and the VA/MD Sectional matches.

The pistol will work just fine, and it'll be as competitive as you want to be.

I'd replace the stock sights with Warren Tactical black-on-black, if this is to be strictly a racegun, or Warren Tactical 2-dot night sights if it'll be carried.

-C

12-10-09, 22:18
Sorry, I don't do impressions.

ROCKET20_GINSU
12-11-09, 03:07
I have a bit of experience running a glock, after running a Glock 34 in USPSA production for the past couple of years. I know mine is a 9mm and the pistol you are looking at is the .40 but they are very similar, I just prefer to shoot minor.

I recommend taking a look at vanek trigger packages, they are outstanding. If you are going to shoot the pistol in limited, lim 10 or open you can even get one of his trigger packages that reduces the pre travel. Also slap on some tru-grip and give warren sevigny sights a hard look, the dawson precision sights are also great, but the w/s are to me exponentially faster to acquire. I have zero experience w/ magwells on glocks but take a look at shooters connection or dawson precision for some quality offerings.

When the bug to shoot major PF finally bites I'll be buying a G35 too :D

GU

gunnut284
12-11-09, 20:43
I love my G35, I end up using the LWD .357 Sig barrel I have more than the original .40. I don't shoot much action pistol competition per se but I would probably use the 35 if I did. I did use it during SWAT Round Up competition and several classes, with good success. I have factory night sights on mine since thats how it came and I haven't found the need to change them. If I do change them I will probably on some 10-8 sights since those look best to me.

DWood
12-12-09, 12:25
Of all my Glocks (23, 27, 34, 35, and 36) the 34 and 35 are my favorites to shoot. The long sight radius is nice; I replace the factory sights with Warren Tactical Sevigney rear carry sights and a fiber optic front sight. For competition, that combo is great; the rear notch is wide and the front sight is narrow. It is very fast to get on target. I also have them on my carry guns. I first went with a tritium front on them but it is wider than the FO sight. The worst that could happen with the FO on a carry gun is to lose the red FO rod, but then the steel sight is still there. It is a great combo for competition as well as carry.

The 34 and 35 are not guns I would carry because of their size, but for classes, comps, nightstand duty, and just plain fun to shoot they are the best, for me.

D.S. Brown
12-13-09, 21:43
I've owned two G35's. It is the only Glock I have replaced, (sold the first and bought my most recent almost six years ago).

I like it a lot! It's the big gun in my handgun line up. I like it for the versatility. I'm carrying it concealed for the next few weeks, just because. I've shot some competition with it awhile back, and will start running it in IDPA in January. At one time I thought about doing executive protection work and considered said G35 as possibly filling the primary handgun role. It's also just a great gun to shoot.

I keep mine stock, though I do run it with a 3.5lb connector. I will put some Heinie Slant Pros on it in the future.

Best of luck to you.

Dave

Bob RI
12-14-09, 06:13
My G35 was a great gun, the most accurate 40 I've owned.

DWood
12-14-09, 11:54
........I keep mine stock, though I do run it with a 3.5lb connector............

The 34 and 35 come from the factory with a "minus" connector, marked with "-", which is 4.5 pounds according to Glock's latest info. They used to call it 3.5, but now they say it is 4.5 according to the web site and the Glock Armorer class I attended last week.

lewis
12-15-09, 23:30
I have had several of them and always keep at least one around. It is my favorite Glock even though it's not the one I carry the most. The 35 is so reliable as to be boring, it's easy to shoot well (if you can shoot at all) and can be carried concealed with just a little planning.

monkyboy
12-16-09, 00:08
Thanks for the replies.....the XD is sold and the G-35 will be purchased shortly!

JTR
12-19-09, 03:28
Absolutely LOVE my G35. Call it the magic bullet gun; friends and I all agree the bullets always go right where you wish them to. Mine still wears the stock sights and I have a bit of a conundrum with the G35... like to shoot it competitively, but am also thinking I'd like to keep it in my nightstand in case something "goes bump in the night" (G22 lives there now). Maybe I just need two G35s... see if I can sell that one to the wife. :p

tpd223
12-20-09, 02:37
I used to have two G35s that were my SWAT pistols, and also used to shooting local IPSC matches. I had them both set-up at work with M3 lights (I know they suck, but they were state of the art back then, and my guns can be seen in various Atlantic Signal ads being dual wielded by a bud from work, like here; http://www.atlanticsignal.com/pages/Frameset.html ).
They were accurate, easy to shoot well, and I never had any issues with them, except when I tried to higher-cap my mags with extended base pads, etc.

jp0319
12-20-09, 08:26
I have had a glock 35 for a few years now, I just sent it off for a bowie tactical grip treatment, and Heinie ledge straight eight quick sights. I did a trigger job also. I love the 35 it is accurate and dependible. I have never used it in any type of competition but I would not hesitate to.

DacoRoman
12-20-09, 18:04
just to make sure I'm understanding this: you guys are saying that the G22 problem of [at times] jamming with a light attached, does NOT seem to affect the G35, correct? thanks

HK45
12-20-09, 19:21
Love the Glock 35. Its my favorite steel gun. Great accuracy.

IrishDevil
12-20-09, 21:42
just to make sure I'm understanding this: you guys are saying that the G22 problem of [at times] jamming with a light attached, does NOT seem to affect the G35, correct? thanks

That has been my experience. I'm very happy with my 35, I use it for USPSA and 3-Gun. It has seen 2 Vickers classes, and several night matches with a TLR-1 attached. I'll have to check my log for the exact number, but round count is approx. 10,500.

DacoRoman
12-20-09, 22:44
That has been my experience. I'm very happy with my 35, I use it for USPSA and 3-Gun. It has seen 2 Vickers classes, and several night matches with a TLR-1 attached. I'll have to check my log for the exact number, but round count is approx. 10,500.

sounds good

do the G35 stock barrels have tighter chambers than the 22's? don't think they do, but anyone know different?