PDA

View Full Version : New M&P9

crusader377
12-10-09, 20:03
First off, I would like to thank everyone on this sight who contributed information to help make my decision. I just recently picked up my early christmas present which is a new S&W M&P9. It came with 3 magazines and nightsights. I have been looking for a new pistol for the last year. I wanted to get a strong all rounder which could be used for CCW, Home Defense, and IDPA. My M1911, CZ-75, and Beretta 92 are great pistols but they are too large for CCW. My favorite pistol is the BHP which is a great all round pistol but brownings are getting increasingly valuable and rare and I wanted to keep wear off of that pistol. For this purchase I was looking for something that could be a great all round pistol to supplament my BHP.

My initial choices where the M&P, FN FNP, XD, HK USP, CZ PCR, Glock 19, Beretta PX4, and Walther P99. Over the last year I have test fired all of these pistols.

I quickly eliminated the XD, HK USP, Glock, Beretta, and Walther. The XD due to quality reasons, the HK USP felt very blocky and it was the most expensive, the Walther and Beretta for lack of availability, and the Glock 19 although a great pistol, I did not like the grip angle.

Although I really like CZs and liked the PCR a great deal, I felt the PCR didn't bring anything extra to the table over the S&W and FN and I wanted to keep the majority of my money in the USA.

The FN FNP and M&P were close for me in overall shootability and performance but what sold me on the Smith and Wesson were four things. First, I think the M&P is a more proven design. Second, availablity of accessories are better with the M&P. Third, I think the M&P is here to stay and 15-20 years from now should probably still be reaily available which may or may not be said of the FN. Finally, $539 shipped from aimsurplus for a M&P9 with 3 mags and night sights is hard to beat.

I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the M&P and would highly recommend this pistol. I like everything about the M&P and its ergonomics make it very easy to transition back and forth to a more traditional pistol like the M1911 and BHP which makes it a great choice for anyone coming from one of those platforms to a polymer style pistol.

RogerinTPA
12-10-09, 21:08
Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you got a great deal.:cool: Too bad most folks don't do there home work and research first, before purchasing. Get some Azoom snap caps to save wear and tear on your striker assembly, if you do a lot of dry firing. It may or may not need some break in. My M&P9 didn't, but my M&P40 did, because I didn't want to drive home, clean it, return to the range and let my enthusiasm get the better of me. I just ran it, using cheap ammo (a few FTEs). After some lube, it ran like a champ.

wes007
12-12-09, 22:05
I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the M&P and would highly recommend this pistol. I like everything about the M&P and its ergonomics make it very easy to transition back and forth to a more traditional pistol like the M1911 and BHP which makes it a great choice for anyone coming from one of those platforms to a polymer style pistol.

I just purchased mine around 2 weeks ago and couldnt be happier.

I noticed also that it is easier to transition from one platform to another if your running an M&P. S&W definetly got it right on this one.

To me as far as ergonomics goes it seems as though S&W combined all the great aspects of other great platforms and combined them into one heck of a pistol