PDA

View Full Version : New guy - first AR build

forge
12-11-09, 10:15
Disclaimer - Yes i am a noob to the site as well as my knowledge of the AR's. I am looking to get a nice AR. I was told that Rock River was the best gun for the money..... then i found this site. I like the BCM, but dont see anyone who sells the gun already assembled - so i figured i would just build one. Have I built a rifle before? nope. But i build custom PC's, high horse powered engine, etc - so i have some mechanical skills and general common sense. I will have my build verified by a qualified armorer prior to attempting to shoot the rifle.

I found these questions and thought i would answer them......
What is your ARs purpose? Home defense, at the Training course/Range and competition (just for fun)
Is it for use at training courses? Yes
Is this AR for competition? 3gun or Hi-power? 3gun
Does your rifle have a dual purpose role? Yes
Do you just want an AR as something to show off during the holidays or because you think ARs will be banned? No
What length barrel do you want? 16-20"
Do you want a carbine (less than 18” barrel?) yes
Do you want a full size or bigger rifle? Maybe
What length gas system do you want? Midlength
How many rounds per month/week/year will you shoot? About 400 rounds per month
How much do you want to spend? Up to $1,500 without optics/light

Upper: $875
BCM BFH™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense LITE 9" Handguard
- (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20ddl9.htm)

or

BCM SS410™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Daniel Defense Lite 9" Handguard 1/8 Twist
- (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid16%20ss410%20ddl9.htm)

For roughly the sme price, should i get the SS410 or the BFH?

Lower: $350
BCM Lower

Charging Handle: $45
BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle with Mod 4 Latch
- (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204.htm)

Bolt Carrier group: not sure what to get.....

Stock: $85
BCM M4 Milspec Stock Kit - (GEN 2)
- (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black%20-%20gen2.htm)

Am i missing anything?

Please leave any feeback, as I said I've only been reading the forums a few days so I may have overlooked something.

wes007
12-11-09, 10:50
Am i missing anything?

Please leave any feeback, as I said I've only been reading the forums a few days so I may have overlooked something.

It looks to me like you have all the right questions but are still a tiny bit apprehensive in what you are looking for(based off of your Q&A), money obviously isnt an issue which is great in terms of getting what you want/need as opposed to settling for something of lesser quality.

You failed to mention that you need a redi mag, with 2 surefires, a peq, an aimpoint ml3 with 3x magnifier! Just joking :D

My real advice in terms of accessories is getting what you need vs tacticool which is something that alot of first time AR buyers go through. Just about every defensive carbine has a light and red dot optic. Take your time and dont over do it

Thomas M-4
12-11-09, 10:56
G&R Tactical has an assembled BCM for sale. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

forge
12-11-09, 23:50
wes007 - Thank you for the reply. I feel slightly overwhelmed with the amount of data here and other ar15 forums. Parts seem endless, and it's hard to see between the advertisment BS and the fanboys, so I do have some apprehensions. I just want to make sure I will be happy with my purchse 3-6 months down the road after I've had time to digest the majority of the information here and put some rounds through it :) . (btw - I was looking at EoTechs sight with the 3x fold over scope :D )

Thomas M-4 - Thank you! I was not aware of that. Any idea if that was assembled at BCM or G&R?

Can someone explain which barrel type is better for me - SS410 or BFH?

wes007
12-12-09, 00:07
wes007 - Thank you for the reply. I feel slightly overwhelmed with the amount of data here and other ar15 forums. Parts seem endless, and it's hard to see between the advertisment BS and the fanboys, so I do have some apprehensions. I just want to make sure I will be happy with my purchse 3-6 months down the road after I've had time to digest the majority of the information here :) . (btw - I was looking at EoTechs sight with the 3x fold over scope :D )

Thomas M-4 - Thank you! I was not aware of that. Any idea if that was assembled at BCM or G&R?

In all honesty you will never be satisfied hence why they call it the " Black Rifle Disease".

There are endless possibilities and configurations out there. Stick to whats common and what you know works.

Another point to note is that alot of your initial setup should be based on what you primarily plan to do with it. If it is being used for home defense then a 0x optic with a light would be a smart setup as opposed to a 1-4x optic used in the competition community. But you get the picture. Dont just buy it because it looks cool make sure its functional and suits your needs first

Texpatriate
12-12-09, 00:21
Stock: $85
BCM M4 Milspec Stock Kit - (GEN 2)
- (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-St...20-%20gen2.htm)

You don't need the full stock kit with the complete BCM lower that you're purchasing. The lower comes with everything in that kit already installed on it.

As for the BCG, get the BCM "auto" bolt carrier group (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm). It's the same price as the "semi" BCG and has slight advantages over the semi carrier, and it's perfectly legal.

You've got a good setup put together whichever upper you choose. I think it's a toss up in terms of quality for the SS or the BFH. If one is lighter than the other, I'd go with the lighter one, but that's just me.

Tangotag
12-12-09, 11:05
I bought the BCM assembled lower from Grant at G&R $330 I added the carbine stock which was the Gen. 2 for the extra $20 on the same order page.

If you want a Gunfighter the Mod 4 latch sticks out less. I havent seen a need for the Mod 3 myself.

+1 Just get the BCM BCG.

I built a 16" carbine upper on BCM parts but would have preferred the Middy in hindsight. Good choice on your part.

ForTehNguyen
12-15-09, 09:55
wes007 - Thank you for the reply. I feel slightly overwhelmed with the amount of data here and other ar15 forums. Parts seem endless, and it's hard to see between the advertisment BS and the fanboys, so I do have some apprehensions. I just want to make sure I will be happy with my purchse 3-6 months down the road after I've had time to digest the majority of the information here and put some rounds through it :) . (btw - I was looking at EoTechs sight with the 3x fold over scope :D )

Can someone explain which barrel type is better for me - SS410 or BFH?

Stainless has higher heat capacity I believe, but its heavier. Just go with the BFH. I only see stainless for precision rifles. Great choice on the midlength, I run all midlength gas systems.