PDA

View Full Version : 'All I have is my son, it's my way of paying back the U.S. for helping Cambodia"

Littlelebowski
12-11-09, 11:37
I know this guy. In the meantime, Hollywood is busy ignoring these tales of heroism. It should be noted that this guy taught himself to shoot with his weak eye.

Article (short) (http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/columnists/meyer/article_59796fc6-aa6c-5688-a590-7f6308ac7acc.html)

One-eyed sniper will return to Iraq

Last Friday, Camp Pendleton graduated 11 of the 27 candidates who started its sniper class. And the honor graduate of that class —— who declined to be interviewed —— is a corporal who will soon return to Iraq for his third tour of duty in that angry land.

During his second tour of duty in Iraq, this young man lost one eye to encounters with the enemy. Friday, this proud graduate received the Jim Gularti sniper school award, named after the former Oceanside Police Department officer and Vietnam-era Marine sniper who works as a civilian instructor at the sniper school.

Gularti, who attended the graduation, said, "This young Marine epitomizes Corps values and family pride. He recovered from personal tragedy to excel in a select group of Marines. His father is Cambodian. He told me, 'All I have is my son, it's my way of paying back the U.S. for helping Cambodia in the '60s.' This family appreciates all that is right about this country, in some ways, more than those who are born here and take all that it offers for granted."

Bowser
12-11-09, 12:55
Awesome.

N4LtRecce
12-11-09, 13:07
I love seeing stuff like this. Thanks for sharing!

stage2
12-11-09, 13:11
yupp while this goes unnoticed in the news Tiger Woods' drama is unfolding on countless stations.....

Thats awesome....But I thought you had to have 20/20 uncorrected to be a sniper?

Littlelebowski
12-11-09, 16:16
yupp while this goes unnoticed in the news Tiger Woods' drama is unfolding on countless stations.....

Thats awesome....But I thought you had to have 20/20 uncorrected to be a sniper?

He sees fine out of his existing eye.

Buckaroo
12-11-09, 17:07
Many indigenous survivors of the Vietnam War are great patriots.

I pray this warrior rides on Eagles wings and returns home with due honors to his loving family.

God Bless them all for their sacrifice.

Buckaroo

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-11-09, 22:48
I'd hate to be in a class with him and have him, with out binocular vision, out range estimate me.

What a man. I bet he'd figure out a way to pull the trigger with is toes if he had to.

warpigM-4
12-11-09, 23:14
A true American hero

ThirdWatcher
12-12-09, 04:56
Many indigenous survivors of the Vietnam War are great patriots.

Absolutely right!!!

As stage 2 wrote, the sheeple are more interested in kicking Tiger Woods when he's down than recognizing a true sheepdog for his moral courage. Thanks for sharing.