PDA

View Full Version : Polishing feed ramp on Glock 17 & 19

30in1
12-11-09, 12:11
Just got new 17 and 19 for duty use ( after numerous problems with my M&P .40).

Noticed that feed ramps look black and not really smooth. I have a dremel tool and thought about polishing with a felt polishing tool myself. Not gonna remove any metal, just polish it up. Any thoughts or advice.

Thnx.

Palmguy
12-11-09, 12:16
Feed ramps on my Glocks have always been black (same finish as the rest of the barrel). Never seen an issue to mess with it; they work just fine as they are.

M4arc
12-11-09, 12:17
There's no need to do that. First, they will function fine without being polished and second, you can achieve the same thing by shooting the shit out of them.

Dos Cylindros
12-11-09, 12:18
For what it's worth, I would keep it as is. Glocks are very reliable guns, and don't require the feed ramp to be polished. Unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing, just leave it be. If you have problems with it, send it to a known Glock smith and have them do it.

awm14hp
12-11-09, 12:20
it it aint broken dont fix it

John_Wayne777
12-11-09, 12:21
Please do not take a dremel to brand new Glock 9mms...especially if they are duty guns. Glocks don't really need shiny feed ramps to work. Generally they work pretty darn good out of the box with no help from the end user.

If you find that you have some sort of issue while you're doing the recommended test/breakin with the new weapons, contact your armorer and he should be able to get it fixed up for you. If he can't there are guys here on the forum who are geniuses with plastic guns and can get you squared away.

The Glock is not a 1911...;)...you don't need to be prepared to do your own gunsmithing with it. :D

ST911
12-11-09, 12:22
Unless we're going to discuss remoing your finger grooves, don't get your dremel anywhere near your Glock. Seriously. Shoot the gun. The black stuff wears off.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-11-09, 12:29
IHMO polishing the feedramp on almost any gun is unnecessary, and often makes things worse.

larry0071
12-11-09, 12:39
Glock.... Perfection....

'nuff said!

TOrrock
12-11-09, 12:42
Put the dremel down and step away sir, before the Glock gets hurt......

;)

No need man, go and shoot the hell out of it.

GMZ
12-11-09, 12:42
There's no need to do that. First, they will function fine without being polished and second, you can achieve the same thing by shooting the shit out of them.

This, two birds with one stone.

Detmongo
12-11-09, 13:17
best way i've found to polish the feed ramp would be to shoot the snot out of it.

30in1
12-11-09, 13:34
I would agree with what y'all have said. Only reason I was asking is my old duty Glock 22 and 27 have polished feedramps and I assumed from factory. Never thought that they were from shooting the piss out of them.

The dremel tool has been locked back up in the garage and the New Glocks un-molested. You may ho back to your reularly scheduled programming.

Thnx

M4arc
12-11-09, 15:01
Whew! Looks like we saved another one boys! :D

ThirdWatcher
12-11-09, 15:18
it it aint broken dont fix it

That was my first thought, verbatim. :D This can be a very expensive lesson to learn.

C45P312
12-11-09, 15:47
I've got 6000+ rounds through my G17 without cleaning or oil. I don't use it for work nor do I use it for self defense. Just trying to see how long will it take till I have consistent malfunctions.

mark5pt56
12-11-09, 15:52
I've seen more harm done to Glocks by people who think they know what they're doing. Between the "slicking " up the trigger engagement surfaces to adding this whizbang guide rod, etc.

Just learn how to properly field strip, clean and lube and it will work, believe me.

Jay Cunningham
12-11-09, 16:06
I've seen more harm done to Glocks by people who think they know what they're doing. Between the "slicking " up the trigger engagement surfaces to adding this whizbang guide rod, etc.

Just learn how to properly field strip, clean and lube and it will work, believe me.

Good advice.

Caeser25
12-11-09, 16:51
my ffl said he's up to 20k and still hasn't had a malfunction yet with his 17, he said he's not cleaning it until he gets a malfunction.

slustan
12-11-09, 18:43
I have a dremel tool and thought about polishing with a felt polishing tool myself.

Thnx.

Do your glock and every other gun you own a favor, never leave it in the same room with a dremel. They don't do well together.

skyugo
12-11-09, 21:49
i won't carry a glock without a polished feed ramp and a metal trigger!

jk :D

stock glocks rock. get a set of metal sights though... and a case of ammo and a few more mags

Beat Trash
12-12-09, 12:59
Put the dremel down and step away sir, before the Glock gets hurt......

;)

No need man, go and shoot the hell out of it.

More good guns have been seriously damaged or ruined by dremel tools!

SWATcop556
12-12-09, 14:58
If you don't mind me asking, what problems were you having with the M&P 40?

Sorry for the slight hijack.

spamsammich
12-12-09, 16:08
If you don't mind me asking, what problems were you having with the M&P 40?

Sorry for the slight hijack.

He mentioned the problems in one of the earlier M&P threads, but it was never clear whether S&W was able to fix the problem or whether he gave them the chance to.

Hellfire
12-12-09, 18:02
The ramp on my 23 is as shiny as can be, but I've been shooting it since 1994. No polish necessary, the rounds entering the chamber will take care of it.

SPDGG
12-12-09, 18:07
Glad you locked up your dremel. Time better used .......again, shooting the snot out of it

SWATcop556
12-12-09, 18:16
He mentioned the problems in one of the earlier M&P threads, but it was never clear whether S&W was able to fix the problem or whether he gave them the chance to.

Ok thanks. :cool:

varoadking
12-13-09, 18:50

I would agree that there's likely no need, but to read some of the posts here, by all accounts a Dremel would ruin the feed ramp...much like shooting it would... :confused:

I polish the feedramps on every piece I buy as soon as I get it home using a Dremel, felt wheel and Flitz. Works for me...

If you don't...more power to you...

Magsz
12-13-09, 19:14
Whats the point in polishing a feed ramp when glocks rarely have failures to feed?

Seems like wasted time and effort for absolutely ZERO perceivable reward.

M4arc
12-13-09, 19:27
I would agree that there's likely no need, but to read some of the posts here, by all accounts a Dremel would ruin the feed ramp...much like shooting it would... :confused:

The point is there's no reason to polish the feedramp on a Glock. It serves no purpose as far as increasing reliability. But you run the risk of screwing something up with a dremel tool.

varoadking
12-13-09, 19:30
...you run the risk of screwing something up with a dremel tool.

I guess if someone was a total f'n moron...though that's still questionable...

Seems like wasted time and effort for absolutely ZERO perceivable reward.

I takes less time than it takes to clean it...

Zero? Not if I feel better about it...

Taking a woodburner to Glock grips has produced some pretty strange looking results. I don't see that purpose, nor do I see a caution flag being waived for that. That doesn't mean I'd encourage someone NOT to do it just because I wouldn't.

spamsammich
12-13-09, 19:32
I guess if someone was a total f'n moron...though that's still questionable...

You can build an idiot proof machine, and mankind will always build a better idiot.

varoadking
12-13-09, 19:34
You can build an idiot proof machine, and mankind will always build a better idiot.

I'm not responsible for the entire gene pool...nor would I suspect that anyone posting here resides in the shallow end...

We're talking about a felt wheel and Flitz here, folks...not a jackhammer...

TOrrock
12-13-09, 19:40
Alright guys, let's move along. Question asked and answered.