PDA

View Full Version : Which Rifle?

jsbcody
12-11-09, 15:06
I am looking at getting into a precision rifle (.308 to begin with, going to reload). I am not rich enough to buy one outright, so I have to do the extended lay-away program (going through George at Gunslingers) and I am looking at the following:

Desert Tactical Arms SRS (I like the design and like that I could switch calibers. I've also handled one; it felt very balanced and the "bullpup"design actually works quite well).

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/specs.html

Nighthawk Tactical Rifle: Looks like a well set up rifle with a lot of quality parts. Nighthawk customer service has been top notch for me (only had to use them once for very minor issue).

http://www.nighthawktactical.com/Tactical_Rifles.html

Ed Brown Tactical Rifle: Similar to the Nighthawk.

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/004104.1.884559232066499715

Any other options and opinions are appreciated. Thanks for viewing and responding.

benthughes
12-12-09, 06:18
Are you looking at one of these to get into long range shooting? While the rifles you are looking at are cool as hell, there are several much cheaper rifles you could grab to get you going then look to upgrade as you outgrow your rifle.

I started with an FN PBR with Leupold scope. I found the scope more determined my accuracy than the rifle, it took a while to get my shit really together up to about 400 yards. I upgraded my scope to a Nightforce 3-15x NXS and love that setup.

I'm just Joe Jackoff when it comes to shooting but from what I've seen here's what I'd recommend. Start with a Remington 700 and shoot the hell out of it. Tons of parts and mods available and you can upgrade it as you see fit in several configurations. .308 is a great way to go since it's readily available and relatively cheap.

I'm looking at a Sako TRG-42 currently but have by no means outgrown my .308. I'll continue to work my .308 and may pick up another in the future. If it was someone elses money, however, those desert tactical rifles look friggin' sweet :D.

Gutshot John
12-12-09, 08:55
If just getting into precision rifle, there are a lot of people here who have done the same thing with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

A very modestly priced rifle to learn on that will allow you to spend more money and effort on your scope and ammo.

Spend the money on the scope first.

carbinero
12-12-09, 11:20
I read a great article by Randall (ar barrels) a while back IIRC at calguns which included a speadsheet called "rifle builder" which sorry to say I can't attach here, since it's in excel. He makes the case for starting with a heavy barrel 700 in 26", whether SPS-V, 700P, or 5R. He also suggests bases, scope, stocks, etc.

I just put an SPS-V on layaway, and if I find out it shoots well, I'll go to work getting the barrel chopped--probably to 23"--finding the stock I want, trigger job, etc. Another way to go is get a snipercentral package deal, in Howa 1500 or 700. I've been learning a lot over at snipershide forums. Best wishes, and don't forget to post here how it works out!

jsbcody
12-12-09, 12:10
I have a Remington 700 in .270 and another in .243. I want to get into.308 and mayber bigger. My intentions are to get a good rifle (I know I will probably end of with one of these), attend training (to upgrade my old training, I was a sniper on EST Team in Air Force years ago). Eventually I hope that my Chief would let me have it (or even a DMR style AR15) at work; we already have patrol rifles but we have had a few incidents where having a rifle with a scope would have made a big difference. Thanks for the replies!

snafu
12-13-09, 20:23
Just a thought,,you have a .243,get a stock you like.
Later rebarrel the .243 to .308. The .243 is a necked down .308.
Nothing wrong at all with the .243
or Get a AR10 style rifle
With what you are going to spend you could have GAP build you a rifle.
http://www.gaprecision.net/
or Gre'Tan,,my favorite,but hey it's 10 miles from me.
http://www.gretanrifles.com/index.asp

Me I have a psedo M40A3,,it is heavy,but being a MARINE .
McMillan A4 Woodland,Mike Rock 5R barrel,M40A3 contour,Winchester M70
in route to CDI for magazine kit up

5R milspec
12-14-09, 19:22
hey this is just an opinion.but remington has been makeing the 5R's for around 7 years.and with them chambering them now in a 223,308 and a 300wm one can find himself woundering just what to get.that is if you like a 5R.for me the 5R is a great choice and I own two.a 223 and a 308.and for the most part a FFL dealer can get them for around 1000.00.and with a 15-20 moa base and a good scope you can end up with a great rifel for under 15- 1700.00.and with the 308 you wouldn't have to do much homework to get it to shoot.they shoot really good with factory match ammo or reloads with little work.but hey this is just an opinion.

M4Fundi
12-15-09, 01:59
You might get over on Sniper's Hide forum and they have used quality rifles on the EE pretty often. You might see if some GAP junky is unloading one. Good Luck

Ga Shooter
12-15-09, 14:00
Can you post a link to the Sniper's Hide EE please?

Thomas M-4
12-15-09, 14:20
You can certainly get behind a precision rifle for less than the semi customs that you listed.
Other have posted viable alternatives might want to look at FN precision rifles or look at savage it doesn't have a quick change barrel but it is pretty easy to change calibers if you wish too later down the road.The money that you would save on one of the semi custom jobs would better spent being used in buying the best optics you can afford.

carbinero
12-15-09, 14:28
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=15&page=1

Ga Shooter
12-15-09, 14:30
Is the Sniper's Hide site down? I cannot bring up the page.

FinestBh
12-17-09, 14:32
I have several Savage rifles, including a model 10-FP in 308. These things shoot OUTSTANDING right out of the box (provided you put good optics on them). They're not at all expensive, and the 10-FP shoots sub moa all day long (with a Leupold Mark IV scope).

TacticalIntervention
12-18-09, 10:59
I have the Desert Tactical Arms Rifle in 308 and 338 Lapua.

I can say this is the ebst deal in rifles going.

I see these rifles shoot .25 moa groups in classes I teach.

They are easy to handle and just plain work well.

Zhurdan
12-18-09, 11:37
I've been shooting an FN SPR .308 to good effect out to 600yards with a Springfield MkIV scope that I bought years ago with a 168g Hornady load that I worked up. I've yet to work much outside 600 simply because I can't find a place close by to get that far back. Had a place, but the owner of the land got a little wonky after someone started shooting his livestock, so he cut off access to everyone. Winter never helps with getting out to shoot here as it's beyond butt cold this time of year.

If I recall, I paid about $1100 for the rifle and $450 for the scope. That's far cheaper that what you're looking at and I'd say, just as effective.

TacticalIntervention
12-18-09, 12:02
No start for a pie fight but while cheaper I dont think the Sringfield scope is equal to any of the above with good glass.

The FN is good value but these days Springfield Scopes are Not The Way To Go.

It all depends on what you want to do.

I responded directly to the three rifles mentioned.

If this is how do I go shooting and save as much money as possible here goes

One of these rifles, in my order of picks:
Remington PSS 308
FN SPR 308
Winchester HB 308
Savage HB308

Whiel I prefer Remington the FN is just as good.

Scopes:
Best no cost worries:
Premiere Heritage
SxB PMII
Nightforce NXS

Scopes strict budget
3-9 Super Sniper
Used Leupold (Shop around to get one in 700.00 minus range)

Zhurdan
12-18-09, 12:32
Thanks for the insight on the scope. It's served me fairly well (4 elk, 6 deer and a whole lot of steel clangin'), but I'm down for info on it.

I bought this particular scope about 6 or 7 years ago (if I remember correctly), are you aware if there were issues with them further back or is it a more recent issue? Honestly, I can't remember seeing a Springfield scope for a couple of years now on shelves. I haven't really thought about buying newer glass simply because I don't spend that much time (proportionately) shooting this rifle as I do others.

TacticalIntervention
12-18-09, 12:50
I understand they quit making them because of quality issues.

Now here is my complete take on them

If you get a good one hold onto it. I liked the designs but quality control was not so good.

I had one I liked, was talked out of it and then went through 3 more with bad results. These where all around five years ago. The good one I had was from mid 1990s.

I think the idea of a hold over reticle is great. You add the ability to fine dial up or down from changing conditions/flight path and your set.

I would love to see a scope with following reticle in it
FFP with lit feature
Modified Gen Two Mil Dot but with hold over dots for 175 SMK, out to 700 yards built in
2700 fps
1500 elevation
70 degrees air temp
Right and left tick marks for walking speeds at ranges.

That would not be too busy. Past 700 yards you would dial. You start beginning of mission by adding or subtracting condition changes on scope.

Do the math this reticle would hit from 59 degrees sea level to 90 at 4000 feet without change. I mena for field work not F Class.

Zhurdan
12-18-09, 14:47
Thanks for the info TI.

BIGUGLY
12-21-09, 09:14
If your looking into those class of rifles you could consider a TACOPS rifle. Those are some amazing rifles. www.tacticaloperations.com There worth a look.

TacticalIntervention
12-21-09, 09:35
Tacops makes what I consider to be the Holland and Holland of Sniepr Rifles. Just plain pretty and the most accurate sniper rifle I have ever used with factory ammo

rickp
12-31-09, 16:15
If money is not an issue get an Accuracy Int. AW. you never have to do anything to it and it will drive nails, even after droping it from 20 feet onto cement. It's also a battle proven.

I know a lot of people like really tight custom guns, but with super tight guns comes reliability issues operating in nasty enviroments. If it's just for target shooting then it's not so critical.

R.

jsbcody
12-31-09, 16:17
Tacops makes what I consider to be the Holland and Holland of Sniepr Rifles. Just plain pretty and the most accurate sniper rifle I have ever used with factory ammo

I talked to Mike from Tac Ops a couple days ago.......I will be ordering a Tango 51 next month.:D