PDA

View Full Version : Blame Canada!!! or How Legos can endear you with a SWAT team.

DragonDoc
12-11-09, 17:02
Well I was reading the post about the NY shooting when I came across this news article from Toronto, Canada. I hope our country doesn't devolve to this mentality. Read on and rant all.

http://richmondguns.com/story/lego-gun
http://blog.jeremybell.com/2009/12/03/so-i-got-arrested-by-the-swat-team-last-night/

Lego Gun
Submitted by Runcible on December 6, 2009 - 9:31am

The City of Toronto called out its SWAT team because a man was spotted (in his own office) with a toy gun made out of Lego. Jeremy Bell, a designer who works in advertising, was arrested by the SWAT team, but then released when it turned out that the gun was a toy. Click here for his account, and here for the Gun Rights Examiner analysis.

I half-suspected the story to be a hoax, but upon checking found that it's well-sourced. It really happened.

So I got arrested by the SWAT team last night…

If you happened to be walking by my office last night, you may have noticed a little police activity. A co-worker said she saw at least 6 SWAT, 2 uniformed officers, 2 undercover and a chopper in the air. I’ve since been told that the surrounding streets were blocked off with five cop cars in total, two ambulances, and a dozen cops all taking positions of cover around the office.

Ya, I’m a little embarrassed to say this was all for me, as last night I got arrested by the SWAT team because of a Lego gun.

Here’s the story…

A few weeks ago, I purchased a kit online to build a replica gun out of Lego. It doesn’t do much (other than clearly look real), but I’ve always been a fan of Lego so I decided to pick it up. I wish I had a decent reason for purchasing it, but I don’t. For shame, I suppose.

It arrived yesterday and at the end of the day, I decided to put it together. I literally assembled it, handed it to a co-worker (who promptly broke it) and then put it back in the box.

The SWAT arrived shortly thereafter.

A few of us were still at the office playing Modern Warfare 2, when we heard this intense yelling in the hall. We originally thought there was some sort of domestic dispute out there… that was until I clearly heard my name. The guy sounded seriously angry and was instructing me to slowly come into the hall with my hands on my head? Ya, this can’t be good.

I sheepishly opened the door to see what was going on, only to discover a SWAT member crouched in the stairwell yelling at me and another directing a small mirror into the hall. The guy in the door had a weapon with a flashlight pointed at me, so I couldn’t really see what was going on, but I was instructed to put my hands on my head and turn around. With my hands up, I had to lift my shirt and slowly spin around. Once they confirmed I wasn’t packing any Lego heat, I walked backwards towards them, was then cuffed, pulled into the stairwell and thrown against the wall.

I was surrounded by about 6 SWAT guys armed with shotguns and assault rifles. At this point it seemed like a good idea to inquire why I might be in custody. Apparently I had been reported with a gun.

“Guys, seriously? It’s Lego. It’s in a box—in pieces I might add—by my desk at the front.” Two SWAT members kept me firmly pressed against the wall, while the others went into the office in search of the so-called weapon.

“We found it…. it’s Lego.”

And with that, I was uncuffed.

I certainly can’t knock the police for how they responded, I mean the toy certainly looks legit. However, it wasn’t like I was walking around downtown with it. I didn’t actually do anything with it, but someone thru a window saw me assembling it and they called the police. From afar I can see how it would look legit, although I certainly wasn’t waving it around.

I don’t know exactly when the SWAT team was sent in, but it didn’t take them long to surround the building. I can’t imagine what would have happened had I walked out there, but apparently they grabbed another guy who was exiting the building, cuffed him and threw him against the police van. I hope he’s ok… I feel horrible.

Thankfully that’s all that happened… no shots fired.

UPDATE
Here’s an interview I had with Global TV about the incident. My apologies for the commercial you’ll have to suffer thru first.
http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/index.html?releasePID=vYVAUVBhw52p9CtgzIqqNveQrTQtwMqL

00leland00
12-11-09, 21:28
http://www.brickgun.com/

Well shit, now I gotta have one. Legos rule.

Abraxas
12-11-09, 21:50
While the lego thing is cool, the anti-gun mania is simply ridiculous:rolleyes:.

decodeddiesel
12-11-09, 22:01
Wait so someone possessing a pistol, while in a private place, warrants a SWAT team visit in Toronto? How bad are the gun laws there?!?! :confused::eek:

Un-f***ing-believable.

HD1911
12-11-09, 22:26
Wait so someone possessing a pistol, while in a private place, warrants a SWAT team visit in Toronto? How bad are the gun laws there?!?! :confused::eek:

Un-f***ing-believable.

Un-****ing-believable x2

panzerr
12-12-09, 09:17
Canada - number one in being just north of the United States.

I've heard of some stupid shit, but this really takes the cake.

Mac5.56
12-12-09, 10:36
they deployed the SWAT team in Eugene Oregon USA for the exact same thing when I was going to college there.

ST911
12-12-09, 13:03
In all fairness to Canada, this scenario is likely wherever people lack combinations of courage, common sense, and continence, regarless of their location.

Cascades236
12-12-09, 13:10
Take his story with a grain of salt. People always up-sell their experiences to make them more attractive. For all we know it was a couple of beat cops with external vests. For all we know someone called 911 stating that an office employee was threatening others with a gun.

There's more to the story

decodeddiesel
12-12-09, 13:18
Take his story with a grain of salt. People always up-sell their experiences to make them more attractive. For all we know it was a couple of beat cops with external vests. For all we know someone called 911 stating that an office employee was threatening others with a gun.

There's more to the story

The police verify the response to the incident in the video.

Time to loosen your tin hat a little bit there buddy.

00leland00
12-12-09, 19:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZezt_ADEY

:D

Irish
12-12-09, 19:50
Unfrickinbelievable!!!

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/1531/canadaamericashattshirt.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/canadaamericashattshirt.jpg/)

dbrowne1
12-13-09, 10:08
I certainly can’t knock the police for how they responded, I mean the toy certainly looks legit.

I do not think I would have been nearly this forgiving had I been in his shoes. Although I probably would be more angry at the bedwetting asshat who called them in the first place.

Macx
12-13-09, 12:09
I haven't wanted a lego kit this bad since I was . .. . 8. :D

Cascades236
12-13-09, 13:28
The police verify the response to the incident in the video.

Time to loosen your tin hat a little bit there buddy.

Guess so..hell our team can't get deployed on a suicidal with verified firearms in house. I should lateral to Toronto hehe

RudyN
12-13-09, 16:52
The problem was the goofball that called the police in the first place. Can't tell a toy from a real gun and was being nosy on top of that.

Buck
12-13-09, 16:56
I dont know... If you pointed this bunch of LEGOs at me I would likely shoot you...

Just saying...

B

DragonDoc
12-13-09, 21:22
I hope the inmates here in Tejas don't get ahold of one of these Lego kits. They would use them to escape. We have had a rash of jail breaks and escapes here lately.