PDA

View Full Version : Surefire 618FA unit with KL5 head installed!

Cesiumsponge
03-12-07, 20:37
I got the Surefire 618FA and KL5 head today for my own Rem 870 project :D Thanks Grant!

It is 100% compatible, no problems or issues at all.

The KL5 head is brighter than the OEM head, and the beam is much more diffuse and widespread. The overall whiteness of it also makes it appear much more brilliant. The OEM xenon head is very focused and yellower (typical) beam when compared side-to-side. This image doesn't do a perfect comparison due to my lack of exposure metering controls; the (cheap) camera autobalanced but the LED is actually brighter if both were exposed for the same duration.

http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/Surefire618Comp.jpg
I think the more diffuse, wider beam of light is of great benefit for home defense since I personally think you would want maximal area coverage inside a building, not a tight, focused beam that'll give you peripheral vision in the dark. That is more suited for outdoors use where you need long light throw. It is also a solidly made LED unit. I tried opening it up to take a look at internal construction methods but couldn't unscrew any part(s) of it and didn't want to try any harder in case it was purposely sealed to prevent tampering. I don't expect it to break. Same dual spring construction as traditional Surefire shock isolated bezels, plus LEDs are solid state and have no filament to bust.

http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/Surefire618Weight.jpg

The OEM head size is 1.715" in length and 1.375" diameter. The KL5 unit is 2.185" length and 1.470" dia, which makes it slightly larger, but that shouldn't pose any clearance issues. The KL5 is about double the weight of the OEM head, but this component isn't heavy to begin with in the overall scheme of things. In fact, the addition of the KL5 adds about the same weight as one 00 buck shotshell.

http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/Surefire1.jpg
http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/Surefire2.jpg
http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/Surefire3.jpg

I highly recommend this for anyone that already runs the 618FA unit and wants to add more without buying an entirely new system. It won't quite put you in 918FA territory as far as light output but you can get something in between without adding much weight or size (the 918 looks way long!), and you don't have to worry about the dreaded xenon power dump when the batteries run low and output practically dissapears in 30 seconds.

As mentioned on Surefire's website, the benefit is a brighter beam-- 100 lumens of output for one hour followed by 3 hours of useful light output, and plug-and-play. From what I have seen, it should also be much tougher, provides a better beam profile for home defense in my opinion, looks more brilliant due to the spectrum output, and looks wicked :D

Logan Moody
03-13-07, 13:15
Very nice setup, you'll need to let us know how it holds up after serious use!

BTW, I can's help but wonder what kind of sight setup you have on there. I have been looking for some high profile sights for my issue 870 so I can use them in conjunction with optics.

Logan

Cesiumsponge
03-13-07, 20:04
I use a Cavalry Arms SST-870 front sight setup, which uses an AK47 post. I replaced the AK post with a tritium one. It works with the high-tube adaptor w/ rail from Cavalry Arms by default. I assume it works with the Mesa Tactical high-tube mount as well. I have it working with a GG&G MAD tritium BUIS mounted on a KAC 870 RAS right now and I'll be using a Mesa high-tube down the line.

I honestly had terrible, terrible, terrible luck with the unit and wouldn't recommend it unless you want to do some work on it and you're handy with tools. Unfortunately I think it is the only game in town if you want a long sight radius using the aftermarket high-rail type adaptors or rails, otherwise you're limited to throwing a BUIS on the front and rear of a rail on top of the receiver for a wimpy pistol-like sight radius. If there is another, let me know. I was thinking of a barrel mounted rail clamp with an AR-15 type gas tube or rail mounted front BUIS but I don't have enough stuff floating around to see if that would work without purchasing the parts.

The screws are -just- long enough to fit flush when its tightened up, and its incredibly hard to get it all aligned and tightened down. Two screws per opposing side on the sight/clamp itself. Two more up top which clamps an aluminum piece (that houses the front post) between the two wings. I had to file down the bottom of the aluminum piece to get it to fit on the top of my barrel otherwise the screw holes up top wouldn't align. I stripped out one hole at the bottom because of the incredibly difficult fit. There are only 2-3 threads on the steel wings/clamp because its thinnish metal and the screws are flush, so good luck getting a screw started without tearing out the first thread. They shouldn't have provided flush screws like that when you can't even start them without damaging the softer threading on the steel.

I used it on an 870HD, if that makes any difference. The 870 line should all be identical dimension-wise for all practical purpose.

I can always retap the hole and use a larger screw, use nuts, weld a nut on the inside for more threading, etc, but a commercial product shouldn't require end-user work. Right now I feel its poorly designed and not worth $40. It needs more R&D work on it and I feel let down since Cavalry makes a lot of useful gear.

C4IGrant
03-15-07, 08:51
Very nice setup! I personally think LED's are the way to go on Shotguns due to the recoil.

C4

NCPatrolAR
03-15-07, 16:00
Grant,

Do you have any more of the KL5s in stock?

C4IGrant
03-15-07, 17:58
Grant,

Do you have any more of the KL5s in stock?

All out at the moment, but can order you one.

C4

NCPatrolAR
03-15-07, 23:44
Thanks, but I think I'll just get one direct from Surefire when they get them back in stock.

C4IGrant
03-16-07, 07:46
Thanks, but I think I'll just get one direct from Surefire when they get them back in stock.

Good Lord, don't do that as you will pay retail! :eek:

C4

NCPatrolAR
03-16-07, 10:19
I get a nifty discount from them (20-25% off last time I checked) :D

C4IGrant
03-16-07, 10:23
I get a nifty discount from them (20-25% off last time I checked) :D

Yes I know and I offer the same discount. ;)

C4

Cesiumsponge
03-16-07, 22:25
Grant sends neat catalogs too in order to hook me into some other gear, so he wins out :D

LonghunterCO
03-16-07, 23:26
Good pictures, ans nice write up...you know that we need the full weapon picture too. Thanks

Cesiumsponge
03-17-07, 00:36
Here is the full image as it stands right now

I'm still waiting for the Magpul UBR stock to come out so I can add that (and a MIAD) to a Mesa high-tube M4-style adaptor along with a 4 (maybe 6) shotshell holder on the left side. I'll probably try a new compact Aimpoint whenever that gets released.

I don't really like the front sight as it stands. I'm curious if there is any way to use a modified barrel clamp w/ integrated rail and pop on an AR15 front folding BUIS on that rail to align with the rear BUIS. Otherwise, the only alternative is to hang one on the end of the 12" KAC 870 RAS which isn't a very long sight radius.

It's still a work in progress I guess. The only potential downside on the 618 unit is it'd be kinda silly to take to a range. Maybe I'll have to try the scattergun/surefire rail system with a TLR-1 or similar and buy another 870 to bump the 618 to. One good thing that I didn't consider about the rail systems is you can just pop the light off for daywork. I was mainly hesitant about the idea since I wasn't sure how well grip panels would stay put under heavy recoil with my paws on it.

http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/870HD1.jpg

PALADIN-hgwt
03-18-07, 20:07
xxxxx

GastonG-NoVa
03-24-07, 15:24
Did I not see a price in here????

How much Grant?

Thanks

one
03-26-07, 00:32
Is there a corresponding LED head for the 9 volt 918 light? If so what would the model number be and would you have an idea of the lumens output?

C4IGrant
03-26-07, 08:16
Is there a corresponding LED head for the 9 volt 918 light? If so what would the model number be and would you have an idea of the lumens output?

You an actually use a KL5 head.

C4

one
03-26-07, 11:28
Awesome.

Does it kick up light output any or run time with the 9 volt vs 6 volt or does it pretty much remain the same between the two?

C4IGrant
03-26-07, 11:54
Awesome.

Does it kick up light output any or run time with the 9 volt vs 6 volt or does it pretty much remain the same between the two?\

Output remains the same, but run time goes up.

C4

Cesiumsponge
03-27-07, 00:32
I believe the LED heads are voltage and current regulated so you're basically giving the unit a larger power reserve. If you're unsure, just give Surefire tech a call/email and they can let you know for sure.