View Full Version : Is LMT's MRP 16" DI bbl. a middie or carbine length gas tube?

SIGinthesky
12-11-09, 23:28
Greetings to all, this is my first post after the intro. Just wondering if LMT's MRP CQB DI carbine with 16" bbl has the short gas tube like the standard carbines or is it a bit longer like a mid-length? LMT's catalog and website don't seem to specify much about this. It seems to me like the gas block is further forward than the reg. carbine FSB and was hoping to get an answer and feedback as to whether it would have the benefits of a middie.

Thanks.

armakraut
12-12-09, 01:04
Close to a midlength. I think the gas tube is a straight proprietary one though.

SIGinthesky
12-14-09, 00:29
Thanks for the reply Armakraut. You're right about the gas tube being a straight design. I found some older threads on the forum where posters say that it is a midlength design, so I think I will be getting one soon! I'll post some pics when it comes in. I was originally going to get a Colt 6920 or LMT defender M4, but knowing I'll want to add a Sopmod stock and ff rail, the added $400 puts the price at the same as an MRP, with the added benefit of the one piece receiver and midlength gas tube. ;)

BillBond
12-14-09, 06:28
The 16 inch 5.56 DI barrels have a straight mid length gas tube.
The 16 and 18 inch 6.8 DI barrels have a straight carbine length gas tube.

:cool:

SIGinthesky
12-14-09, 22:13
Thanks, BillBond! That explains why the pix of the 6.8 MRP CQB in the "On Target" magazine article show the gas block hidden under the forend rail. Maybe the 6.8 SPC cartridge is lower pressure or otherwise does not need the longer midlength gas tube like the 5.56. Thanks for confirming that.