PDA

View Full Version : Noveske N4 10.5"

Hellfire
12-12-09, 00:10
Anyone own/shoot this SBR? Thinking of taking the tax stamp plunge for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any input on this particular model. I have a N4 light carbine and it has run without a hitch, so I am comfortable with Noveske but all the threads I found with a search indicate that a 11.5" barrel works best with a SBR. Any input?

cop1211
12-12-09, 01:59
I've got one has 3,000+ rounds through her. Runs like a champ. My favorite rifle.

Army Chief
12-12-09, 07:42
To my mind, this is a question of intent: will you suppress this carbine (now, or in the foreseeable future)? If so, then 10.5 can be an excellent choice -- and it's one that I made for myself about a year ago. If not, then 11.5" is a better choice overall, with 12.5" still being widely-considered the premier Noveske offering in SBR trim. 10.5" in a non-suppressed role is effective, but something less than optimal.

Some shooters are driven to go as short as possible, simply because they are paying the extra fees and dealing with the additional paperwork burden. The more logical approach is to go with the configuration that aligns most effectively with your intended applications, and for most non-suppressed carbines, that is going to put you in 11.5" or 12.5" territory.

AC

mpardun
12-12-09, 10:03
I had a Noveske VIS 10.5" (stainless) for about a 18 months and used it with a SF suppressor. Aside from getting super dirty, it was flawless. I did have trouble removing the suppressor after shooting ~500 rounds one afternoon...had to send it to SureFire to remove the can. They said it essentially carbon welded itself to the MB556. In any case, I have not had any troubles whatsoever since.

Once Noveske rolled the SwitchBlock out, I sold that upper and now have a SB N4 10.5 and like it even better! Single shot suppressed mode is kind of nice to have as an option.

IMHO this is my answer to taking the piston plunge for shooting suppressed SBR's. I have never experienced ANY issues with my Noveske DI on suppressed SBR's...maybe a little dirtier, but reliability is what matters to me. Buy with confidence! Can't speak to others in this class (Colt, LMT, RRA, Bushy, etc.)

You will get a reliable weapon with THE best barrel in the industry - take the plunge, John & Co will treat you right.

PS: Also bought a 16" N4 SB LoPro Middy that is more accurate than my Steyr SSG at 100 yards! Go John!

mpardun
12-12-09, 10:06
Your mission should dictate the muzzle length/velocity trade-off.

You will get a little extra velocity out of a 11.5/12", but reliability is my key concern - 10.5 or 12" pretty similar, especially with top shelf builders.

I am tempted by some of BCM's offerings in this department and may do a 12" basic upper up in the new year. Second to Noveske, i have a BCM scratch that i need to itch when funds permit.

Hellfire
12-12-09, 10:18
Thank-you all for the information. Yes, I will eventually get a suppressor for this carbine. The point was mentioned about some going as short as possible due to the tax, etc. and yes I was originally thinking of going 7.5", but after handling one, it seemed too small.? I currently have a 14.5" with a permanently pinned Vortex, and I didn't know if going to 12" would be worth the stamp/wait.? I know it is to some. So it seemed like the 10.5" might be short enough to be noticeably shorter than the 16" and long enough not to seem like a pistol with a stock on it. I apologize for my amateurish observations but I have no experience with SBRs. Thanks.

mpardun
12-12-09, 10:33
Hellfire: I was in your shoes 4 years ago, M4C has been an incredible resource for me in figuring these things out and not wasting time or money over the years. The quality, character, professionalism, and general willingness of people to help eclipses TOS in a heartbeat.

As you already know, you can't go wrong with Noveske. Try the 10.5" and sell it for what you pay in a year if you want to go shorter or longer. You really can't loose.

Enjoy & welcome to the world of SBR's/Suppressors - jump in while you can...

LonghunterCO
12-12-09, 11:19
After much research I decided to go with a 12.5". Handles great, swings good, does not give up as much in the velocity. Also, the extra length should help my silencer last longer, with less blow back. YMMV

civilian
12-12-09, 12:10
Do what any respectful M4C member would do and just buy a few to cover the different size ranges! :D

http://www.pbase.com/ashinoyu/image/119368445/large.jpg

Hellfire
12-12-09, 17:38
Again, thanks to all for the advice, I really do appreciate it, as I'm fixing to dump a big chunk of money into another carbine. I think I'm going to go with the 10.5" Thanks again.

Irish
12-12-09, 17:55
Very happy with mine :D

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/454/noveske105.jpg

Abull
12-14-09, 09:41
I am having the same dilema. I think the 11.5 - 12 would be the best choice, but I have the chance to pick up a 10.5" LMT for dealer cost. How much experience is here with the LMT upper? Kind of hard to pass up the savings and I have had zero problems with my 16" LMT.

Cameron
12-14-09, 11:14
I figure is I am going short I may as well go down to the SOCOM MK18 length, my 10.5" LMT has been 100% reliable in any configuration, with a can, with a KX3 with a carbine buffer... anything. I even run it with a .22LR conversion.

Final configuration:
LMT Semi-Auto BCG
H2 Buffer
Noveske KX3

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/4150748748_d2aae9a944_b.jpg