PDA

View Full Version : M&P9c OWB Retention Holster options?

larry0071
12-12-09, 08:36
I'm getting a used MP9c W/Crimson Trace next week. I need to aquire a holster for it.

Let me tell you what I have now, I carry a Glock 17 in a Fobus OWB paddle holster. I have owned and been using this holster for about 8 years. It is durable, the gun never comes out and the holster never moves. I CC when the weather permits and I OC when it's too hot to worry about covering it. I personally do not care CC vs OC, but if it's easy enough to hide, I'll hide it.

So what options do you folks know of for the 9c with crimson trace in a friction retention and even more interesting to me... a level 2 retention.

I have no issues with the service the fobus provided, but I thought maybe there are some new fangled level 2 holsters and maybe some other friction type holsters that I should be made aware of.

*I am not an LEO or Soldier.
** My wife will also carry this weapon, she will need a holster option for her non belt wearing self.

operator81
12-12-09, 10:07
I would take a look at Raven Concealment (www.themalabarfront.com). I have one of their holsters for my M&P9c and the gun stays put. I even tried shaking the gun out of the holster while holding it upside down and it wouldn't move. His holsters come with belt loops, but you can add IWB loops and he also has a paddle holster option. The holster is modular and it only takes a few minutes to swap the parts.

These holsters fit very close and tight to the body, much more concealable then your Fobus.

larry0071
12-13-09, 09:24
Well, I got it. I went yesterday morning and picked her up. I tucked it away in the safe until Xmas morning.

I'll end up taking the Crimson trace off so as to maintain the slim grip width that made my wife fall for the M&P over every other pistol she looked at. Believe it or not, my wife has no expectations, knows nothing of the brands or who has the biggest fan-boy base.... but after 30 min of playing with the feel of 20 different pistols from revolvers to the M&P, she narrowed it down to the fact that her Beretta Tomcat 3032 is the easiest to carry/hide/hold, but the M&P of all the full-powered pistols was the best feel for her small hand and also decently light and small enough to purse. She chose the M&P9c, not me. She did it with me not saying a word, well.... I was trying to talk her into the single stack Glock .45, but she hated the feel of it...... I don't get it.

So here is the picture taken (with my Verizon HTC Imagio) at the store while the PICS check was going on....

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/Pistols/IMAG0207.jpg

Alex F
12-13-09, 10:07
How about something with a thumb snap like the Galco fletch?

larry0071
12-13-09, 11:41
I was thinking that the idea of a level 2 retention is a real tangible step towards not ever getting shot with your own weapon.... I don't know, I guess I talked to a few guys about them and read some stuff on a couple forums about how great they are and decided that maybe I would try to steer myself that direction. The shop I got the pistol at does not stock much in the way of accessories, so I would special order what I wanted from him and not be able to return it if it sucked. So may just check out some more websites and see what seems to be the general winner in the world of level 2 retention holsters. I'm a bit shocked that with this particular pistol and on this particular board (seems to be major following of the MP here) that I'm not getting more recomendations. Maybe it is the level 2 thing that is a turn off?

larry0071
12-15-09, 13:13
I did not want a snap type strap as much as a polymer holster with the push button release that held the weapon locked in place. I called Safariland and they have models 518, 5188 and 6280 that fits the M&P Compacts. They are not what I am looking for. Fobus has a couple nice looking ones, but nothing listed for the compact.

Any ideas similar to what I am wanting to find? Grant? I tried to call Grant but it appears his phone is a paperweight! I hate email!

larry0071
12-15-09, 15:21
I called FOBUS, they have the model SWMP (not an active retention) for the M&P series.

Is there anything earth shatteringly bad about this one?

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/CZ_P_06_EVOLUTION_PADDLE_HOLSTER-5012-116.html

http://www.fobusholster.com/images/products/swmp-001.jpg