PDA

View Full Version : SPRish build!

usmcgrunt
03-12-07, 23:22
Been thinking for a long time about building an SPR style rifle but dont really know what barrel length to go with! Would I get more distance with a longer barrel, like a 20-24 inch match grade! What would you who have built some have to say! Same goes for uppers and lowers! I have heard that if I wanted to build DO NOT use RRA! I have heard LMT lower/CMT upper/Noveske barrel with mid-length gas system maybe a PRI float tube and a Magpul PRS stock! Am I missing something in that area? Im also wondering about optics! Looking at getting a 10X mil-dot but Im also leaning toward a 3.5-10X? The amount I spend on the optics will be detemined by what I can save on the rest of the build! This is not going to be a people popper but will likely be used for hunting/varmint but I like the SPR style!

Any help from some of you who have built clones or SPRish like rifle is welcomed! TIA!

Grunt Out!

FR0GMAN
03-13-07, 02:22
First, SPR is the way to go so good decision.

Second, Contact John at PDC. (http://www.padefense.com/)
He will definitely be able to help you put together what YOU want.

My SPR has both an LMT upper and lower, and quality is first rate.
The 18" Douglas SS SPR barrel turned by CLE is extremely accurate for it's length.

I started with a fixed stock, but quickly switched to the SOPMOD for LOP adjustment, and superior cheeck weld. It really is awesome with an optic.

I'm assuming you will probably go with a leupold scope. Their variable mag scopes are less expensive than their fixed. The Mk4 3.5-10x40 wouldn't be a bad choice. I am currently using a Mk4 3-9x36, as the eye relief is shorter, and better suited for an AR.

Just some thoughts, and what has worked for me.
What will work for you may be completely different.

I do recommend getting in contact with John though.

Snake RAH
03-13-07, 11:25
In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with RRA:

http://images105.fotki.com/v440/photos/2/23676/170464/SPRtarget-vi.jpg

The final form of my rifle is not a true SPR, but perhaps closer to an SDM.

RRA lower with fixed A1 stock and trigger job
RRA upper with DCM 20" barrel
PRI gas block
PRI front sight (rail mounted)
MI BUIS
LaRue SPR mount with Leupold Mk4 M3 LR (3.5x10x40mm)
LaRue 12.0 rail
Harris BRMS bipod with ARMS mount

The above group is typical if I'm having a good day. The rifle is more accurate than I can shoot.

The rifle isn't in its original configuration (I've added and changed things over the years), but perhaps the only thing I would change is the optic, and go with a Mk4 M3 MR/T (3x9x36mm), since it is a more compact and lighter scope. The only reason I went with the LR, is that it was only $20 more.

AR-15A3
03-20-07, 20:09
Been thinking for a long time about building an SPR style rifle but dont really know what barrel length to go with! Would I get more distance with a longer barrel, like a 20-24 inch match grade! What would you who have built some have to say! Same goes for uppers and lowers! I have heard that if I wanted to build DO NOT use RRA! I have heard LMT lower/CMT upper/Noveske barrel with mid-length gas system maybe a PRI float tube and a Magpul PRS stock! Am I missing something in that area? Im also wondering about optics! Looking at getting a 10X mil-dot but Im also leaning toward a 3.5-10X? The amount I spend on the optics will be detemined by what I can save on the rest of the build! This is not going to be a people popper but will likely be used for hunting/varmint but I like the SPR style!

Any help from some of you who have built clones or SPRish like rifle is welcomed! TIA!

Grunt Out!

By military definition SPR should be 18" barrel and a 20" barrel are suppose to be SDM-R.

I prefer the 18" of the SPR and I'm currently working on my SPR project, I was going back and forth of the brand of barrel between PRI and Noveske and currently going towards Noveske.

I'm going to get a Geissele DMR (http://www.geissele.com/) trigger because I've heard that they're more reliable than the Knight's Armament triggers.

There's nothing wrong with your components choices, it should be a great rifle when you get done with it.

Any high quality good brand optics like Leupold, Nightforce, etc would work great on any precision rifle.

I have an old Kahles 3-12X scope that I will use at first, I'll just have to get a LaRue SPR mount for it and see how it goes, if I'm not satisfied with it I'll have to get a better scope later on.

I had built 4 ARs already and this SPR project is my first precision build.