PDA

View Full Version : ELCAN SpecterDR

NinjaMedic
12-12-09, 21:11
Does anyone know if the SpecterDR 1-4X is available for civy purchase?

Has anyone had any significant trigger time with one? Thoughts?

NinjaMedic
12-12-09, 21:28
ETA: Mainly looking to see if any opinions have changed, the latest thoughts I can find on here are more than a year old. Seems like a great concept, I guess I am hoping that the execution has improved.

LettersFromEarth
12-12-09, 23:00
They are for sale to any and all who ponies up the dosh. The last price I've seen was around 1800 USD. Yes, a GEN II has been produced with a few mods that end users deemed "needed" (power lever location). I think some changes were made to the mount as well although the ARMS levers still remain. IOR has an optic called the BULLDOG that is similar to the ELCAN concept wise (cheaper as well).

Alaskapopo
12-13-09, 03:28
The IOR scope does not have daylight visible illumination like the Ecan. The Ecan is an excellent scope.
Pat

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Optics/elcanilluminated.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Friends%20guns/Augrightside.jpg

LettersFromEarth
12-13-09, 11:13
Nor does the IOR have the (published) battery life of the ELCAN.

Armati
12-13-09, 11:41
I don't think you will find it worth the money. I don't personally know anyone who uses it - and we get them for free! Most guys were pretty upset to turn in their ACOG with JPoint.

I spent a day on the range with SpecterDR and decided it would never leave the gun bag. I personally prefer the ACOG with chevron (like the TA31F) and a JPoint or Docter Optic.

Alaskapopo
12-13-09, 13:25
I don't think you will find it worth the money. I don't personally know anyone who uses it - and we get them for free! Most guys were pretty upset to turn in their ACOG with JPoint.

I spent a day on the range with SpecterDR and decided it would never leave the gun bag. I personally prefer the ACOG with chevron (like the TA31F) and a JPoint or Docter Optic.

Why did you not like it. My room mate has one and based on the shooting I have done with it I think its an excellent optic.
Pat

alaskacop
12-14-09, 06:44
Does anyone know if the SpecterDR 1-4X is available for civy purchase?

Has anyone had any significant trigger time with one? Thoughts?

I have one on my STG556 patrol rifle (Alaskapopo's roommate). The sight has worked quite well for me and for what I need it for, even in the cold Alaskan climate. They can be purchased by civies according to the reps at their company. However, there is a little bit more "red tape" in the import process, meaning that it will take you a bit longer to get the optic once purchased than I did. Give them a call Elcan.com for questions. Yes, the optic is expensive but about the same price as any red dot/Acog or red dot/magnifier setup you can get. I use this setup not only in my daily patrol functions but also in the competitive match world as well..:D

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/alaskacop/jamesredone.jpg

GreyOps
12-14-09, 07:08
I had heard that there were issues with the optic holding zero when switched between 1x and 4x. Have you experienced this? Or, has it been fixed?

alaskacop
12-14-09, 11:50
I had heard that there were issues with the optic holding zero when switched between 1x and 4x. Have you experienced this? Or, has it been fixed?

Yes that has been fixed..it was an issue on the gen I Elcan's (mine is a gen III). The elevation adjustment now has a locking pin so it won't loose zero.

EzGoingKev
12-14-09, 12:11
I have one on my rifle and like it, but in all honestly I have only put a few hundred rounds through my rifle.

The only complaint I would have is that the illumination knob is a little hard to turn.

I got mine from Mike @ CS Tactical, he usually has them in stock and took good care of me.

crossgun
12-14-09, 15:24
SOLD Mine! Just wasn’t bright enough for me in the daytime. I also had issues with what I will refer to as eye relief. The location of my head was very critical to obtain a proper view just like in a scope. Wasn’t as quick as an Aimpoint for me. I just lost too much on the low end for what I was gaining on the higher end of the magnification.

Armati
12-14-09, 18:58
Why did you not like it. My room mate has one and based on the shooting I have done with it I think its an excellent optic.
Pat

Firstly, it was a PITA to correctly zero. The Crane guys told us this would be a problem and it was.

I didn't think the glass, reticule, or eye relief was better than the ACOG.

The mag throw lever was an ungainly additional step. Most people saw that it made little sense. It was such an issue over the Dr. Optic/ACOG that Crane fielded it with a Dr. Optic. So now you have an Elcan with a Dr. Optic. Is that somehow better?

It is still saddled with the Elcan adjustment knob/rail mount combo. This has been an issue on the M145 MGO and it is a notorious point of failure.

It is heavy and big.

It's real weakness showed up when shooting the standard Army RETS qualification. For scanning it did not lend it's self to the same two eyed shooting that the ACOG does.

As a magnified optic it is basically an Elcan. As an RDS it is pretty much like an Aimpoint with lower battery life.

I like to get down into the scope for precision shooting. For short range targets I like a riser mount. Putting both on the same plain doesn't help me. Hell, I don't even care about cowitness.

Again, it is not horrible, but how can you justify the premium price over an ACOG with Dr. Optic? Would it be over the top to call it the Pocket Fisherman of optics?

JSantoro
12-14-09, 21:25
MARSOC has a lot of them. It's not a bad optic, overall, but there's equal or better options out there for open purchase that are less pricey.

The thing is HEEEEEEEEEEEEA-VY for such a relatively small footprint; lighter optics are to be had that equal performance at lesser weight (and WAY less expense).

I hate ARMS mounts as much as I hate child molesters and people who talk out loud in the movie theater.

Pretty decent reticle

Trend: IF you get an Elcan with a mount other than ARMS, the trend I see all the time that jacks up the zero is whomever zeroing it conveniently forgetting to (or refusing to) RTFM, then zeroing in 1x instead of 4x like one is supposed to. He/she then conveniently blames the optic for their own lack of attention to detail. These morons are the same ones who will take a Trijicon TA31RCO and field-expedient zero it @ 25m instead of 33m like one is supposed to, and then will then commit a further act of stupidity by not confirming zero @ 100m as one is supposed to to lock in the BDC.

To be clear, no, I'm not saying that that's what those who have posted did with their optics. I'm saying that the above is the trend I see in the course of my work.

It's a good optic, but not a great one; worth maybe half of the usual price most folks get it for. If you're looking for a 1-4x optic with a BDC reticle, you'd be better served by waiting for Trijicon to put a BDC reticle in the 1-4x AccuPoint, which I'm sure they will in the fairly near future. About half the $$$, better glass, better CS, way better mounting options, closer to a true 1x.

Armati
12-14-09, 21:39
Yep, what Riverine said.

You know, I made that some bone head mistake with the RCO.