PDA

View Full Version : Remington 770

mhanna91
12-13-09, 14:44
Does anybody have any thoughts on the Remington 770? I handled one at Gander Mountain yesterday. Overall I didnt think it was that bad. The bolt was not anywhere near as smooth as a 700, but that does not bother me at all. I like the box mag concept, I think it would be handy for a varmint gun. The one I looked at was in .308 and the price was $450.

Triton28
12-13-09, 16:35
General impression has always been that a 770 is a good hard use rifle that doesn't wipe out the wallet. I have handled and shot several and they were all accurate enough for hunting, but lacked the small refinements of the more expensive rifles out there. Excellent rifle for anyone looking to be ready to go out of the box without spending a mint.

VTLO910
12-13-09, 21:29
Steer Clear. Your better off going with a entry level Remington 700, which, you can always build a better rifle on the 700 action over time... Not so with the 770.

Buckshot TX
12-13-09, 21:45
As someone who works on 710s/770s quite often, I have to strongly disagree with the previous opinions. In fact, when I saw the thread title under the forum heading of Precision Rifles, I think I threw up in my mouth a little! :eek:
The 770 is ok for someone who is going to shoot maybe a 100 rounds in their hunting career. Hard use rifle? - hardly! I've often thought it reminded me of something akin to a last-ditch weapon used by one of the Axis powers in 1945. Among the gunsmiths in the shop, we call it the DDR (disposable deer rifle) when the customers are out of earshot.
I'm NOT saying they're unsafe to shoot, but it's the HiPoint of bolt action rifles. Every internal part that can be made of plastic is, & it's not a sturdy polymer, either. For example, the magazine latches often break on the 1st trip to the range - the factory recommended repair is to replace the entire stock! I needed a new ejector spring for one last week, the parts list showed that you needed to replace the entire bolt head. Rough chambers, poor feeding, broken bolt retainers & broken trigger guards (mostly 710s) are also high on the common complaint list.
I'm a huge Remington supporter, but IMO, this is the crappiest gun Remington ever foisted on the market & I'd never recommend it to anyone. Hope nobody in Illion is reading this & can figure out who I am, cuz it might cost me a lot of $$ for my honesty.
For the price quoted, you could buy a Savage 10/110 that'll shoot rings around 99% of the rifles out there & will last to hand down to your descendents. Or save up just a few more $ & buy a Remington 700 that would come w/ the hearty recommendation of myself & literally millions of others.

VTLO910
12-13-09, 22:05
As someone who works on 710s/770s quite often, I have to strongly disagree with the previous opinions. In fact, when I saw the thread title under the forum heading of Precision Rifles, I think I threw up in my mouth a little! :eek:

Hey...! Your saying you disagree with me yet saying you agree with me in the end...lol :confused:

scottryan
12-13-09, 23:02
Junk throwdown...

eternal24k
12-14-09, 11:01
My FFL once referred them as "The Cadillacs of POS's"

Buckshot TX
12-14-09, 12:30
Hey...! Your saying you disagree with me yet saying you agree with me in the end...lol :confused:

Nope, I just took my sweet time typing & editing out my post & you posted in the meantime. I disagreed w/ the 1st two posters, not you.

Triton28
12-29-09, 11:03
The 770 is ok for someone who is going to shoot maybe a 100 rounds in their hunting career. Hard use rifle? - hardly! I've often thought it reminded me of something akin to a last-ditch weapon used by one of the Axis powers in 1945. Among the gunsmiths in the shop, we call it the DDR (disposable deer rifle) when the customers are out of earshot.

Here's what I mean by "hard use" for a typical hunting rifle: Throwing it behind the seat of the truck, laying it down in the mud to crawl under a fence, watching it slide off a rest without worrying about a scratch, busting brush on a deer drive, hunting in a driving rain/snow storm, being lazy with cleaning, etc. I know the term is pretty subjective and can mean different things for different people, but the above is really about as rough as I get for chasing woodland creatures. If hunting is the goal and budget is a major concern, I don't think it would be the wrong choice for someone to buy a 770. Are there other options? Sure. Which of those options is best is debatable. The comment about buying an entry 700 in anticipation of a future build should also be given thought.

Round count for most hunting rifles shouldn't be a concern, at least it isn't with me. I do have several hunting rifles to spread the round count out, though.

I won't disagree with the "DDR" comment. I mean, they are cheap bolt guns. The way I see it, if you run over a 770 with a truck and destroy it, you're not out much. Even buying two or three 770's over a lifetime is probably less than buying one of the more expensive synthetic stocked rifles available. But as with everything, it's all a matter of perspective.

dmanflynn
01-04-10, 17:41
I personally dislike the action with a passion. If your looking for opinions heres mine, its not what you may want to hear but your basically throwing your money away. Even going to a entry level 700, you'd have so much more reliability. Now with that said take into account I said ENTRY level, not fully bedded or pillared with a tactical stock or any of that, you can get a good new 700 for about 350-450 if you really try looking around. Or even a slightly used one thats setup real nice for about the same price. If I ever bought a 770, Id have to be in a pretty poor shape. Im not financially well off or anything but their is a fine line between buying a product or gun because of your budget and buying junk, dont cross it the wrong way

Haha, I like the DDR acronym, Ill have to remember that.:p

Rob96
01-04-10, 18:17
I bought a 700ADL VARMINT at Dick's for $419 after the discounts. 26" heavy barrel in 308. Only been out once with it and it shot .69moa. The action is nice and smooth and to me the x-nark pro trigger felt pretty good.

fn1889m
01-26-10, 11:35
An entry level Remington 700 is not the best finished rifle in the world, and they have a lot of little details that could be better. But they are a lot of rifle for the money, and have earned their reputation. I think they are the U.S. equivalent of the Mauser (by sheer #s, not design).

Save enough to by the WalMart Rem. 700. I think they are $399 on sale.

robinhawkins13@comcast.ne
02-07-10, 20:17
save your $ for an LTR or PSS....its worth it! Then you can accessorize from there.