PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance on a new build

frogger
12-13-09, 17:03
In 2008, I built a M4gery using a CMMG 14.7" M4A1 SOCOM Upper. I've been very happy with it. It is light and handy. I still have a few "tweaks" I want to make to it, but it is finished and I'm ready to start a new build. My first thought was that I would build an exact replica of my current AR. I like the idea of having a backup that I can grab if needed that was just the same as my primary. However, after browsing CMMG's website I have found that my upper is no longer available.

Since I can't build the same rifle, now I'm thinking maybe I might try something a bit different. I have started to think I like the idea of an 18" build just because it might be a bit more unique. Also, I have an interest in trying 3 gun competitions in the future and I've heard that this configuration is nice for those types of matches.

So, here are my questions...

1. What quality manufacturers offer an 18" upper?
2. For something like this that might be for competition, would you go with a stainless barrel or still stick with Chrome-Moly/Chrome-Lined?
3. Will a mid-length of a rifle-length gas system work better with an 18" barrel?
4. The purpose of this rifle would be for range fun, 3 gun matches but also as a backup to my main M4gery as a fighting rifle. What other configurations should I be considering?

BTW, I am not LEO or military so my needs for a "fighting rifle" are for home defense and SHTF. That being said, just because the likelihood of me needing it is less doesn't mean I don't want the best tool for the job if it does happen.

frogger
12-13-09, 18:06
While doing some research on my own, I found these two...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-Bravo3-p/bcm-urg-mk12-3%20dd12.htm

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_64&products_id=335

I know BCM has a great reputation, but a couple of things are making me lean toward the Spikes right now...

1. I like that they include the proper buffer for their gas system.
2. Not sure how good the 410 stainless that the BCM barrel is made from would be on a rifle I plan to shoot a LOT.

What do you guys think?