PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safes?

Adam_s
12-13-09, 19:20
Hey guys:
My dad is in the market for a new gun safe, and has asked me to look into it. This is SlIGHTLY outside of my lane. He wants a large one (40+ long guns), and of course, a good one. It also needs to be fire safe.

Any recommendations for brands/dealers I should look into? I had directed him initially to look into Liberty's FatBoy line, but wanted to get all of your opinions on the matter.
Thanks!
-Adam

Ak44
12-13-09, 19:30
AmSec and Fort Knoxx would get my vote. Most all gunsafes are fireproof for a certain amount of time. Some people might say get old jewlery store safes from craigslist as well.

Kentucky Cop
12-13-09, 19:35
I was in the same boat 2 years ago. I finally ended up with a Treadlock that I bought from www.budsgunshop.com . Some of the nicer ones I found were Ft. Knox, Treadlock, and Liberty. However, I have never seen a 40 guns safe. Wowsers! He may as well just build a safe room with a vault door. :rolleyes: Anyways, you can get them as you know in any type of finish, color, and size. Just name your price. :D

Good luck. Ky Cop

AirTrafficControl
12-13-09, 20:17
just recently did a solid weeks worth of research before purchasing my first RSC so I'll save you some time. A vast majority of the big box store type RSCs are made in China and can be popped open within a few minutes. I'm not going to bash any perticular company on a public forum but I will tell you my opinion. If you want a fire protection rated RSC: AMSEC BF series or Sturdy Safe with added fire protection. Yes you can buy a more expensive true UL "safe" but you can't find a better "gun safe" for the money. I bought a AMSEC BF6030 just the other day for $2499 delivered.

d90king
12-13-09, 20:26
Liberty, and if he thinks he needs a 40, he really needs a 60-80.:D I have found... buy a safe that is twice as big as you "think" you need. When there is a empty slot in the safe it is very hard to keep it that way.:cool:

loupav
12-13-09, 20:38
Liberty, and if he thinks he needs a 40, he really needs a 60-80.:D I have found... buy a safe that is twice as big as you "think" you need. When there is a empty slot in the safe it is very hard to keep it that way.:cool:

+ 1 on both counts. I have a liberty in my room. The day it got here, I felled it up. I new a new NOW or I may have to stop buying new toys!

PRGGodfather
12-13-09, 20:44
Definitely not the largest safe, but it should get the job done for the price:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11498662&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|29105|3373&N=4012467&Mo=29&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3373&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=114*29105*3373*&topnav=

That's delivered. For most us, this would do the trick just fine -- although it's a bit small for my purposes.

YMMV, but I have Fort Knox 6637, because it started at over 900 lbs. DRY. Loaded, it's over ton.

scottryan
12-13-09, 20:54
I would advise getting a safe no wider than the 30~31" class.

Safes wider than this are too hard to move into your house and have a limited number of places where they can sit or where you can hide them.

I would buy two smaller safes and strategically position them in your house.

Several small safes are better than one big one. Don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Yes I know a smaller safe is easier to carry away but if you are buying an TL5 (RSC) then it doesn't matter because it can be broke into either way.

MacAttack
12-13-09, 21:00
AirTrafficControl was right about those Chinese made "Safes." Here is a site that shows just how vulnerable a cheap safe is.

http://www.thompsonsafes.com/soshigh.htm

Artos
12-13-09, 21:03
The American Securities / AmSec are great products.

bkb0000
12-13-09, 21:12
Yes I know a smaller safe is easier to carry away but if you are buying an TL5 (RSC) then it doesn't matter because it can be broke into either way.

bolt it to the studs with 4 or 6 stainless lag bolts from the inside. you'd have to demo the wall to get it out.

Kentucky Cop
12-13-09, 21:14
www.ftknox.com www.libertysafe.com www.cannonsafe.com www.treadloksafes.com
www.amsecusa.com www.patriotsafe.com

Thought this would help you get started. These are the companies I considered when I was getting ready to swipe the card. Good Luck.

Looks like Patriot is giving a LE/Military discount if that applies to you.

Ky Cop

DragonDoc
12-13-09, 21:38
Try Liberty safes. They have rebates for Tom Gresham listeners. Here is the link and the rebate code is Tom. The rebates start at $50 and increase from there depending on make and model of the safe that you get.

http://www.libertysafe.com/card_deck_members.php

Adam_s
12-13-09, 22:07
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, it's really helpful!

He already has two smaller safes filled, hence the new addition. This one is going in a room such that it can be bolted to both the floor, and the wall. Short of a tornado, it will not be going anywhere once in place.

Sounds as if it'll be hard to go wrong with any decent American made safe, correct?

-Adam

Paladin4415
12-13-09, 22:14
AmSec BF series gets my vote. Most "gun safes" use sheet metal for the doors and gypboard for fire protection. Both of those things are not good.

scottryan
12-13-09, 22:28
bolt it to the studs with 4 or 6 stainless lag bolts from the inside. you'd have to demo the wall to get it out.

Yes

Then you don't have to depend on the heft of the safe as a means to prevent it from being carried away.

scottryan
12-13-09, 22:32
And AMSEC is the best besides Brown and Garfunder.

AMSEC makes real safes besides gun safes.

Most other companies (Liberty, Champion, Cannon, etc) that are found in retail stores do not make real safes and are all RSCs.