PDA

View Full Version : What would you say is the lowest mounted red dot?

h8mtv
03-13-07, 15:04
I am probably going to buy an Aimpoint but I want to mount a scope really low on one of the DPH arms Beryl optics rails. I had even considered one of the S.P.O.T clones. Any input would be appreciated. I generally have always used irons.

C4IGrant
03-13-07, 18:50
I am probably going to buy an Aimpoint but I want to mount a scope really low on one of the DPH arms Beryl optics rails. I had even considered one of the S.P.O.T clones. Any input would be appreciated. I generally have always used irons.

For Aimpoint's, the 10818 mount is the lowest. It is ok at best.

C4

Bcm3087
03-14-07, 09:54
For Aimpoint's, the 10818 mount is the lowest. It is ok at best.

C4

Grant-

If the Aimpoint ring is, "Ok at best," and I agree with you, what would you use instead? I thought about using an LT RAS II, but it is still a little high for me. (Not to hijack, but I'm wanting to mount an ML3 on an HK93.) Thanks.

C4IGrant
03-14-07, 10:58
Grant-

If the Aimpoint ring is, "Ok at best," and I agree with you, what would you use instead? I thought about using an LT RAS II, but it is still a little high for me. (Not to hijack, but I'm wanting to mount an ML3 on an HK93.) Thanks.

The LT RAS II is really your only other choice and is most likely too high.

C4

UVvis
03-14-07, 11:50
If you aren't to worried about quick release, you could also look at a standard 30mm ring that is long enough to satisfy what aimpoint suggests (At least 25mm?). You should be able to find one that is the right height you need. I know Badger Ordnance has some longerish heavy duty 30mm rings that should fit.

shark31
03-14-07, 11:50
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=68

Maybe this?

FJB
03-14-07, 15:00
h8mtv,
If you are putting this on a DPMS, then I am assuming there is no fixed front sight and you don't plan to wear a gas mask while shooting. If both of those answers are in the affirmative then I recommend you purchase one of the new Aimpoint Micro H-1s that will be on the market starting in April. LaRue Tactical is developing mounts for it, but you can use the integral Aimpoint mount from the start and switch later. It is the lowest mounted reddot optic on the market. It should retail at or just under $500.

S/F

h8mtv
03-14-07, 16:24
I am using the optic on an Ak. It is going on the new DPH arms mount. It is a copy of the one used on the Polish Beryl.

Thanks for the heads up on the Aimpoint. I am in no real rush to get an optic. I do not want to buy twice, want to get something to suit my needs.

KevinB
03-18-07, 12:02
If your not set on the Aimpoint -- have you looked at the Dr Optic?
You can co-witness it on a Sig552

Hawkeye
03-18-07, 13:09
Kevin, what are the choices for mounting a Dr. on a pic. rail?

C4IGrant
03-18-07, 13:29
Kevin, what are the choices for mounting a Dr. on a pic. rail?

Not Kevin, but there is really only one mount for low mounting and it is the one made by Dr optic.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/AK%20Rail%20view.jpg

Hawkeye
03-18-07, 13:58
When might one obtain that exact mount and a Dr. to go with it??

C4IGrant
03-18-07, 14:30
When might one obtain that exact mount and a Dr. to go with it??

I am out of both currently, but have an order in with them so I should see some in 1 week.

C4

Hawkeye
03-18-07, 14:40
Noted.

h8mtv
03-19-07, 17:17
Hmmmm noted indeed.

fivepointoh
03-21-07, 15:34
Well as rumored on the AK Forum...Mark Larue might be making some AK products :D and it would be great if he made a low mount that is QD but as low as the Aimpoint low X wide mount!

I'd buy one for certain.

H8MTV...have you got that rail yet? I'm guessing no or else I would have read a review and seen pics by now :p

h8mtv
03-21-07, 20:19
No, the wife called mid day and said I had a package but it was some NDS recievers. I was kinda hoping to see the rail there. I am not going to touch the recievers until my Ak builer jig comes in. Once you use one bolt cutters just don't cut it.

fivepointoh
03-21-07, 21:19
I wouldn't know about jigs or bolt cutters but hopefully I'll be getting a Tantal kit soon from GunThings and then a NODAK Tantal receiver.....looking to build my first one soon hopefully!

koalorka
03-22-07, 13:46
If your not set on the Aimpoint -- have you looked at the Dr Optic?
You can co-witness it on a Sig552

But only if you have the flat-top receiver model with integral rail. Mine has the diopter sights and a B&T rail but the base of the Docter covers up the front tower post. The Docter is still a great sight though..

koalorka
03-22-07, 15:39
Here's the sight picture through a Docter 3.5 MOA model on a 552:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3606/clipboard01ou0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

nyeti
03-22-07, 21:56
The new Micro AImpoint should be a very good match on the AK. I got to see one in person last weekend......good stuff.