PDA

View Full Version : SOHPC V Mayflower Low Profile Assault carrier

Roy
12-14-09, 16:16
I’m catching some flak from the Admin ref the color of my current eagle pc. So I am looking for a new one and have been researching the above 2 carriers.

At this point I will be using it for PLATES only. I will be donning it over my uniform and duty concealed soft armor. I will use it to carry 3-4 m4 mags and a blow out kit.

I have researched up the wazoo and am still a little confused as to why one would be better than the other. This rig will sit in the front seat of my patrol vehicle or in the trunk until something jumps off.

Thanks for the help

Shane1
12-15-09, 09:11
This is a stupid question but why not just get another Eagle PC in the right color if your satisfied with it? Why waste $$ on another product if your happy with what you have? You might find someone to trade so you dont have to spend funds at all.

Roy
12-15-09, 10:55
NOt a dumb question. I was just seeing if something was better. the above two are getting alot of press lately and i was hoping someone could explain the diff's

NCPatrolAR
12-17-09, 00:30
Of the two you listed, the SOHPC is the best option since it is a true plate carrier. There should be less bulk with it than if you went with the Mayflower which is an armor carrier, and likely overkill for your use. The SOHPC has the added plus of having IIIA armor in the cummerbund which provides you with some side protection that the Eagle PC lacks.

ashooter
12-17-09, 13:35
Roy,

Another cool thing about the SOHPC is that you can remove the exterior armored cummerbund and run it as JUST a plate carrier.

NCPatrolAR is right: the Mayflower vests are complete vest setups that use concealable soft armor, with the option of adding plates... it would be like wearing an oversize T-shirt with a plate pocket sewn on the outside if you tried to run it without any soft armor in it.

BC520
12-26-09, 22:55
I currently have one of each coming to my dept. One thing to consider from my research, and answered by sales in Grey Group, is that if you are not going to be running concealable armor in the Mayflower vest that you may experience some flop from the empty space not occupied by soft armor. The way it was explained to me was that it is an soft armor vest that can also carry plates if desired, not like a dedicated plate carrier like the SOHPC.

I'll report back after they get here if this is an issue people need to know about.