PDA

View Full Version : Grab straps

sonrider657
12-14-09, 20:04
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of the grab straps on the back of many tactical pants? (No vulgar answers please!)

tsconver
12-14-09, 20:13
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of the grab straps on the back of many tactical pants? (No vulgar answers please!)

to drag the body out if it is injured and in a bad spot

MIKE G
12-14-09, 20:50

sonrider657
12-14-09, 20:58
Yes, I am talking about the straps on the back of pants like the 5.11 pants. They seem too flimsy to hold much of anything.

edmorseiii
12-14-09, 21:33
They make you run faster and jump higher.

militarymoron
12-14-09, 21:53
They make you run faster and jump higher.

'cept when the strap catches on whatever you're jumping over. then you get a wedgie.

kmrtnsn
12-14-09, 21:54
Back in the day, when disco was king and I learned rock climbing most guys wore Carhartt work pants when climbing. The original Royal Robbins 5.11 pants were an evolution of the Carhartts. The hang point loop was placed there for carabiner linked chocks and wedges, not as a grab handle. In the late '80s the Royal Robbins 5.11 pants were issued at the FBI academy, after having been made popular for training wear by the instructors as they had the utility of BDUs without that LE/military appearance. Now no one wears BDUs and the 5.11 Tactical Pants have become synonymous with LE plain clothes wear, along the way the hang point became a trademark item associated with the pants and was never deleted.