PDA

View Full Version : Magpul B.A.D. / Phase 5 EBRv2 ???

Bobert0989
12-15-09, 00:31
Anyone know where is the best place to find these things at a reasonable price?

Also, for a non-combatant such as myself, is the Redi-Mag system reliable enough for the money, or should I splurge twice as much for the real-deal Blue Force Redi-Mod? Can I still use the B.A.D. with the Redi-Mag? What about the EBRv2?

Thanks folks...

~Bobby

catatonic
12-15-09, 00:33
The Redi mag/mod is fine with either the Phase 5 or the Magpul, I believe the redi mod is more of a lightened version then the redi mag.

chadbag
12-15-09, 00:42
Also, for a non-combatant such as myself, is the Redi-Mag system reliable enough for the money, or should I splurge twice as much for the real-deal Blue Force Redi-Mod? Can I still use the B.A.D. with the Redi-Mag? What about the EBRv2?

My understanding is that the Blue Force Gear Redi Mod is a real life Redi Mag that they modify. You can read about it here

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=1&prod_id=91

Bobert0989
12-15-09, 00:42
The Redi mag/mod is fine with either the Phase 5 or the Magpul, I believe the redi mod is more of a lightened version then the redi mag.

What real advantage does one model boast over the other? Other than weight, and what differences can they really make?

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Responding to first reply when second one posted. Thanks for the clarity.

Hyprlite2007
12-15-09, 01:02
Ive got the Redi-Mag and from looking at the Redi-Mod I really dont see any difference except the cut outs and thats not worth double the price for "25% weight reduction" when its not very heavy to begin with. It does seem like a new and improved version but not something I would switch over to from my Redi-Mag.

The B.A.D lever is about $10 cheaper than the EBRv2 but I dont like the fact that its a one piece replacement bolt release, Ive never taken apart my bolt release so I dont know how easy it is to do, and the B.A.D just bolts on.. much easier.

You can run both on your rifle with no problems, Ive seen multiple members photos on here that do it.

B.A.D lever - http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=362

EBRv2 - http://www.phase5tactical.com/g_products/ebr.html

Those are the cheapest and only places Ive seen them sold.

Bobert0989
12-15-09, 01:24
Ive got the Redi-Mag and from looking at the Redi-Mod I really dont see any difference except the cut outs and thats not worth double the price for "25% weight reduction" when its not very heavy to begin with. It does seem like a new and improved version but not something I would switch over to from my Redi-Mag.

The B.A.D lever is about $10 cheaper than the EBRv2 but I dont like the fact that its a one piece replacement bolt release, Ive never taken apart my bolt release so I dont know how easy it is to do, and the B.A.D just bolts on.. much easier.

You can run both on your rifle with no problems, Ive seen multiple members photos on here that do it.

B.A.D lever - http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=362

EBRv2 - http://www.phase5tactical.com/g_products/ebr.html

Those are the cheapest and only places Ive seen them sold.

Thanks. The fact that the EBRv2 is a one-piece replacement is the main selling point I had for it. It's welded to the bolt release, and I have spoken with two different people that do not like the "looser" feel of the BAD compared to the EBRv2. I know that it is normal to be a little loose, but I have a tendency to like things as tight as possible. The Magpul name was the biggest thing the BAD had going for me, really. I have a lot of Magpul on the rifle in question already, so I thought it would "mesh" a little easier into the total build.

Thanks folks... good information!

rob_s
12-15-09, 05:39
The lighter weight of the Redi-Mod is not the only advantage, or all that they do. The sharp edges are also melted/eased. the entire thing gets a nitride refinish, and the springs are upgraded. The large amount of material removed from the bottom also gives a better view of the carbine magwell for reloads and admin work.

I have two Redi-Mods, a Gen I unmodified Redi-Mag, and a new production Redi-Mag Gen II (Boonie Packer has made some slight modifications to the design). The only benefit I have seen in the stock Gen II Redi-Mag is the cost. I just spent three days with one attached to a BCM midlength carbine and the improved view of the magwell with the BFG version is probably the biggest thing that I missed having.

If the cuts are all that are important to you and you don't care about the springs and finish, you can always buy a stock Gen II and make the cuts yourself. Lots of people here and on other forums have done the same. I would caution you, if you're going to attempt this, not to make the cut on the upper portion of the body too high as you want to make sure that you keep the rounds covered when the magazine is inserted. Many people have over-cut and left the rounds exposed which could be an issue with dirt.

9mmkungfu
12-15-09, 08:40
Does the Redi-mag/mod cover the front of the mag well?

I'm curious because I have my SBR markings on the front of the mag well. I think I'm supposed to leave them in plain sight (uncovered) but I can't remember if it matters. I suppose if it's engraved, it's engraved. I'll have to look into it.

Reddevil
12-15-09, 19:09
Thanks. The fact that the EBRv2 is a one-piece replacement is the main selling point I had for it. It's welded to the bolt release, and I have spoken with two different people that do not like the "looser" feel of the BAD compared to the EBRv2. I know that it is normal to be a little loose, but I have a tendency to like things as tight as possible. The Magpul name was the biggest thing the BAD had going for me, really. I have a lot of Magpul on the rifle in question already, so I thought it would "mesh" a little easier into the total build.

Thanks folks... good information!

My ebvr2 was loose on my Colt lower. Normal for a standard bolt release, but the longer lever exaggerated it. It wiggled quite a bit. I have since replaced it with the Magpul BAD and it does not wiggle much at all.

Reddevil
12-15-09, 19:16
Does the Redi-mag/mod cover the front of the mag well?

I'm curious because I have my SBR markings on the front of the mag well. I think I'm supposed to leave them in plain sight (uncovered) but I can't remember if it matters. I suppose if it's engraved, it's engraved. I'll have to look into it.

Yes it does. I wondered the same thing as my lower is awaiting it's tax stamp very shortly. I was told that since the redimag is an add on and not a permanent attachment like a grip, that is ok to be covered up. However, this was info I received on the TOS, so take it with a grain of salt.

ForTehNguyen
12-15-09, 19:20
people like to confuse a loose lever with the loose bolt catch installation in the lower, I have 3 BADs and looseness are only from the tolerances of the lower receiver and bolt catch, cant do anything about that.

Bobert0989
12-16-09, 00:03
My ebvr2 was loose on my Colt lower. Normal for a standard bolt release, but the longer lever exaggerated it. It wiggled quite a bit. I have since replaced it with the Magpul BAD and it does not wiggle much at all.

That's the first I have heard going the other way around. But I like that there is a mix of people for and against the proucts on here, makes the information seem more helpfulwhen people get to arguing...lol

I have decided on the BAD Lever, I just have to find one now...

Anyone played around with the thought of "permanent installation" of the BAD? (welding?)

Also, anyone played with custom cuts on a redi-mag, such as a personalized logo or name, anything like that? Would love to see some pics.

catatonic
12-16-09, 00:08
Anyone played around with the thought of "permanent installation" of the BAD? (welding?)

Whats the point of the Magpul then?
It works, I'd just leave it to bolt on.

mil_dot556
12-16-09, 10:46
would take the BAD over the EBRv2 any day.

Bobert0989
12-18-09, 03:35
Whats the point of the Magpul then?
It works, I'd just leave it to bolt on.

I guess I'm just an innovative kinda guy... ;)