PDA

View Full Version : At home range

JAYTEAM
03-13-07, 20:17
I almost have the Mrs talked into an at home range. Right now the plan is to cut into a knoll in the field behind my house, and use the dirt taken out of the hill to raise the birm higher. It will be about twenty feet wide, so I can accomidate multiple shooters on the line.

The perfect knoll to do this would only make a handgun range, and would put it a little closer to the house than Mrs Jayteam would like. I have enough land that I could easily put in a range that would give me a 300 yard rifle lane. The problem is I don't have a knoll back there to cut out. I would have a nice mud hole or standing water a good bit of the time if I cut down into a flat spot. I know I could run several field tiles that dump into a swamp back in the woods, but that would run the project cost past what she would find acceptable. Does anyone have any idea how expensive it would be to have enough fill hauled in to just build a backstop where I want it?

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Jay

RHINO6383
03-13-07, 21:23
Blackwater has a tidey range facility in a rectangle building... Looks good. Dont know the cost and the like but for an indoor range situation, it looks really good to me.

www.blackwater.com

Jon

FJB
03-13-07, 23:26
Jay,
Depending upon where you live, sometimes local horizontal construction companies, pool construction companies, town and state crews are looking for a place to dump their spoil. You could contact them and they might do it for free. My father has done that several times with these type companies etc., not for a range but for other projects. Only concern might be the type of debris in the soil.

S/F

carshooter
03-14-07, 07:22
Jay,

Before I moved back to Ohio, I lived in a rural area of Missouri.

I used discarded Railroad ties that I got for free to build a three sided box that I filled with dirt. Having three walls of a box didn't take as much dirt as you'd think to fill it.

The suggestion about contacting companies that have fill dirt to discard is a good one.

JAYTEAM
03-14-07, 07:24
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Anyone else?

Jay

Dport
03-14-07, 08:38
Blackwater has a tidey range facility in a rectangle building... Looks good. Dont know the cost and the like but for an indoor range situation, it looks really good to me.

www.blackwater.com

Jon

I think this is what you're referring to, correct?
http://www.blackwaterusa.com/targetsystems/talon.asp

JAYTEAM
03-14-07, 11:47

www.blackwater.com

Jon

I would love to go indoor, but that would drastically excede my budget. The closest I will come to indoor is a small open sided pole building type set up with a gravel floor. Maybe I could set it up to hang tarps on three sides to try to stay dry if it is raining.

That kind of deal would be nest year at the earliest. I'm just trying to get a functional range this summer. You have to start somewhere... right?

Jay