PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 or G21 SF?

Romeo Foxtrot
12-15-09, 08:18
Im looking for the pro's and cons of each. Ive decided i want a .45 caliber fighting pistol and have narrowed it down to the two of these based on price, capacity, and reliability. Im trying to decide between the two of them. Ive held both and they point and feel great for me. Which one is more durable? more accurate? right now im sorta leaning the direction of the M&P 45 because its a tad smaller, and American made.

Cheers!

M4arc
12-15-09, 09:06
At this stage I would opt for the G21SF but only get the model with the Glock rail and regular (right handed) mag release. They've stopped making the Pic rail/ambi-mag release version but there are still a lot floating around.

The reason I would choose the G21SF is mostly due to the consistant trigger pull and crisp reset. Just about every M&P trigger that I've felt/used is different and they still lack a strong & crisp reset.

The trigger on the M&P is more tunable but it will cost you a significant amount of money (shipping, sear, gunsmith). By contrast you can swap out connectors for trigger springs on the Glock yourself in a matter of minutes for less than $30 for the parts.

Also, parts, accessories and holsters are easier to find for the Glock but that gap is narrowing.

Either way I think you'll be more than happy with either one. These are just the reasons why I would choose the G21SF over the M&P at this point in time.

restfortheweary
12-15-09, 10:25
I like both platforms, but the 21 SF gets the nod because of the trigger.

Dos Cylindros
12-15-09, 14:05
I am a big Glock fan, but I really like the way the M&P feels in the hand. You also can't go wrong with Smith's customer service.

JonInWA
12-15-09, 16:48
I concur with M4arc's comments and recommendations. I'm not sure if Glock has made any public announcement of it, but they have just made available a RTF2 version of the G21SF; I've long contended that the biggest beneficiaries of the RTF treatment would be the large-frame Glocks. That would be the one I'd recommend (but it's not as if there's a bad choice to be made between the Glock or M&P platforms that are being considered).

Best, Jon

Roy
12-15-09, 18:02
Both Great guns.. Not sure you can go wrong. I like the capacity of the 21 with
I do like the way the M&P FEELS over the21 Hate the trigger

Although the Mass compliant parts do help.

VTLO910
12-15-09, 18:10
I can't really say anything bad about the S&W, especially since I love my MP15T from them...

BUT...

I've never had/saw/shot a GLOCK I didn't like...

I also never shot the M&P Pistols, but have handled them several times in the stores...

Romeo Foxtrot
12-15-09, 23:21
thanks for all the replies guys. i think ive been swayed towards the glock. the trigger on the smith was the thing i hated about it, the trigger seemed really squishy and kinda long. So between the trigger, ease of making the trigger better, and higher capacity, it sounds like the glock is the way to go.

The 21 is fitting for the occasion any way... Ill be buying a glock 21 on my 21st birthday :D

loupav
12-15-09, 23:24
I too would go for the Glock. However mine happens to be on the chopping block at the moment.

I'm not very fond of the gun. But having shot M&P's, I'll take the Glock.

EzGoingKev
10-22-13, 20:09
Going to resurrect this thread from the dead as time has gone by and S&W has changed up the parts some.

What are the current opinions?

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-22-13, 20:31
Still M&P.

MP9
10-22-13, 21:34
old post..

I was on the same road few months ago. The M&P 9 feels better in my hand, but I shoot the glock better. Then I rented a m&p45 and I dont know why, it might be because my skinny hands but I control better the glock, so I got the glock 21 gen4 and switched the m&p 9 for a g34 gen4.

both are great guns, I have read many many positive reviews about the m&p45, the downside is only hold 10 rounds but it is thin.. on the other hand the glock 21 is bigggggg but it holds 13 rounds..

RagweedZulu
10-22-13, 23:20
Mi not sure what it is, but my Gen3 21 is easily the most accurate pistol I own, and I have quite a few. It's eerie how this thing shoots. And the soft recoil is just icing on the cake. It's pretty bulky, but there is no doubt I'd choose a G21 every time. The Smith might feel better, but we're not talking about seats in your car. You won't have your hand on it all day, so the comfort of a grip while its in your holster or on the nightstand is a silly criteria.

npthaiduong
10-23-13, 10:37
I voted for the G21 due to the trigger

tonyxcom
10-23-13, 12:16
M&P with a Apex trigger is phenomenal. There is nary any over travel so trigger reset becomes moot, IMO. Although my full size 45 (late 2012 manufacture) is extremely accurate and a dream to shoot I did have some feeding problems that I narrowed down to the extractor.

It would feed hollow points just fine, but ball ammo would FTF on the last round about 90% of the time with a few different brands of ammo and on occasion even FTF in the middle of a mag.

I was able to file the bottom-inside corner of the extractor enough (after 3 tries) to get ammo to now feed. But I will need to run several more hundred rounds through it before I trust it as an HD gun.

walkin' trails
10-23-13, 16:39
I have owned both and still have the Smith. It is a good shooting accurate pistol. Perhaps the Glock's recoil is a little softer, but I like the ergonomics and the trigger of the M&P better. Mine is stock except for Heinie Ledge night sights. The trigger has smoothed out considerably since I bought it and is consistent. The Smith is also a bit easier to carry concealed. Magazines are probably easier to get for the 21. Again, both are good so it's just a matter of preference.

wahoo95
10-23-13, 17:14
I had a Gen 3 G21 and it was a very nice pistol, however I much prefer my M&P45 with FSS trigger. I shoot it much better and it feels like an extension of my hand. The trigger upgrade makes it an awesome pistol.

TxPiKapp
10-23-13, 23:41
+1 G21

Salamander
10-24-13, 00:34
M&P with a Apex trigger is phenomenal. There is nary any over travel so trigger reset becomes moot, IMO. Although my full size 45 (late 2012 manufacture) is extremely accurate and a dream to shoot I did have some feeding problems that I narrowed down to the extractor.

It would feed hollow points just fine, but ball ammo would FTF on the last round about 90% of the time with a few different brands of ammo and on occasion even FTF in the middle of a mag.

I was able to file the bottom-inside corner of the extractor enough (after 3 tries) to get ammo to now feed. But I will need to run several more hundred rounds through it before I trust it as an HD gun.

Same here. My M&P 45 only had three FTF's in a couple hundred rounds, but that's three too many. Put a Apex extractor in it, and it's been flawless ever since. I need to put a few more rounds through it to completely regain confidence in the gun, but it seems to be fine now.

No experience with a G21, but post-2009 Glocks scare me. I've kept only one gen 2 G19.

yoni
10-24-13, 10:27
I bought one of the first if not the first Glock 21 to come into Israel and I like the gun a lot.

I am going to do a slight hijack here and ask if anyone here has converted either pistol to .460 Roland?

I think a pistol in .460 Roland just might make a fine Afrika ranch gun.

MH64
10-24-13, 12:51
As much as I wanted to like Glocks, they just don't fit my hands well. Though I have not tried the gen 4 with replaceable backstraps.
However, I have tried various M&P pistols and they do fit well.

If you are a Glock person go Glock or if you prefer M&P go M&P.

If have not tried either then try both.

mx5rcr
10-26-13, 08:46
I've have owned a 21SF and currently own a M&P .45 full size. Both were bought for IDPA. To me, the grip, even with SF frame was too big around. With the M&P, the medium backstrap and 3 less rounds made the difference. I shoot better with the M&P. The addition of the Apex DCAEK and Ameriglo "Hack" sights have greatly improved my standings at my local club matches. Used 10 round mags are available for $19.99 to boot.

surfish95747
10-26-13, 10:42
At this stage I would opt for the G21SF but only get the model with the Glock rail and regular (right handed) mag release. They've stopped making the Pic rail/ambi-mag release version but there are still a lot floating around.

The reason I would choose the G21SF is mostly due to the consistant trigger pull and crisp reset. Just about every M&P trigger that I've felt/used is different and they still lack a strong & crisp reset.

The trigger on the M&P is more tunable but it will cost you a significant amount of money (shipping, sear, gunsmith). By contrast you can swap out connectors for trigger springs on the Glock yourself in a matter of minutes for less than $30 for the parts.

Also, parts, accessories and holsters are easier to find for the Glock but that gap is narrowing.

Either way I think you'll be more than happy with either one. These are just the reasons why I would choose the G21SF over the M&P at this point in time.

+1 out of the box better trigger. More available parts and just a better fighting reputation.

TurretGunner
10-26-13, 11:14
HK45c or HK45

CoryCop25
10-26-13, 11:56
I have both.
I favor the Glock for capacity and accuracy.
The M&P is nicer to carry and feels better in your hand.
I spent more money total on the M&P to get the trigger half as nice as the Glock.

EzGoingKev
10-26-13, 11:58
As I had said, there have been some changes in parts. Are the triggers on the current pistols better than the older pistols?

NCPatrolAR
10-27-13, 07:05
Having owned and shot both; I'd opt for the one you shoot better. The sole reason that I ditched my full size M&P45 was that it, and the mags, had issues with rust. If that hadn't been present, I'd still own and shoot the M&P

brianc142
10-27-13, 07:44
I would get a Gen 4 Glock 21, otherwise, the M&P gets the nod. I've owned or currently own all three.

Hogsgunwild
10-27-13, 10:57
I have a M&P midsize with APEX FSS & trigger. I also have a Gen 4 G20.

The M&P would be a bit easier to conceal if that was a factor.
I would choose the Glock. I like the Glock's stock trigger better than even the APEX trigger. I cannot tell you why, but, I just feel like the Glock is higher quality. Only my gut feeling and nothing at all to back that up other than issues that I have had with my other M&Ps may have swayed my opinion or confidence some. My .45 M&Ps have been very reliable.

The M&P feels better in my hand but I shoot the Glock better, in 10MM or .45 ACP.

GLOCKMASTER
10-27-13, 11:02
I have owned both the M&P full size and mid size .45. I also own a Glock 21 SF and I've owned it for a good while now with a butt load of rounds through it. I sold both M&P's because I much preferred the Glock over the M&P.

juliomorris
10-27-13, 11:03
MP, the new ones have a very nice trigger with good reset. Plus I'm honest, I hate glocks....

PLCedeno
10-28-13, 12:08
Glock 21 because of the trigger. 15 round capacity is another reason. I will say that the Gen4 G21 is still a big gun to hold comfortably (for me) compared to the Gen4 G21 and certainly the M&P.

GUNSLINGER733
10-30-13, 23:51
M&P hands down. Glock 21 has never impressed me and feels like a damn brick. My cousin had one and I tried it out. Wasn't for me. I'm not a glock hater either. I've had a few. Just sold a gen 4 g17. I feel the m&p shoots just as good and has a better feel and looks better. Lol

britishtq
10-31-13, 00:32
I don't like the 21sf a lot more over the m&p45 but I will say I agree that the m&p trigger sucks. If you plan on putting an apex in it the I would get the m&p but if you're gonna stay stock get the 21sf.

Talon167
10-31-13, 05:28
I would go with the Glock. Better trigger reset and holds three more rounds. So long as you can get over how thick it is...

m1a_scoutguy
10-31-13, 13:07
I don't like the 21sf a lot more over the m&p45 but I will say I agree that the m&p trigger sucks. If you plan on putting an apex in it the I would get the m&p but if you're gonna stay stock get the 21sf.

I would go with the Glock. Better trigger reset and holds three more rounds. So long as you can get over how thick it is...

I am a 1911 guy,,but have been trying to decide which "other" 45acp pistol I should have,,this thread only makes it harder,,,LOL. I have a couple G17,,so I am use to the trigger,,so no problem there. Yea I agree the M&P looks better (Non point),,it dose feel better kinda,,but I have big hands so the G21 isn't a big deal ! My trouble is find "both" in stock and comparing the 2 side by side,,could be a tall order,,LOL I know the M&P is a great gun,,but it ticks me off that ya buy a New gun and have to put almost $100 into it to get the trigger like a Glock,;) I have heard that the New M&P pistols are getting better in the trigger dept. It appers the Glock mags are cheaper also. I'll keep looking and comparing !! Thanks for all the good info. :)

KentuckyWindage
10-31-13, 15:48
It appers the Glock mags are cheaper also.

M&p 45 mags are 25.00 all day long and so are 14 rounders. It's the same price I pay for glock mags.

GUNSLINGER733
10-31-13, 22:26
Agreed with above post.

M1A - I understand what you are saying about dumping $100 more in a trigger but it's a lot better than a glock trigger if you do the apex kit. IMO...

m1a_scoutguy
10-31-13, 23:28
M&p 45 mags are 25.00 all day long and so are 14 rounders. It's the same price I pay for glock mags.

Agreed with above post.

M1A - I understand what you are saying about dumping $100 more in a trigger but it's a lot better than a glock trigger if you do the apex kit. IMO...

Thanks guys for the update !! That is good news about the 45 M&P mags !! It must be a 9mm thing with the mag $$$$,,popularity I would imagine !! Yea,,true about the trigger,,,I actually had a M&P 40 S&W for a year or so,,really a great gun,,had good Trijicon sites,,,trigger all done up,,etc,,,got it in a trade ! No issues with the gun other than it was in 40 Cal,,:( I made the decision to stick to just two Calibers,,,9mm & 45 ACP,,,so I ditched it !! I'm in no hurry,,so I will keep lookin and try and get a hold/feel on the two side by side & make my decision then,,but around these parts,,that mite take awhile,,LOL !! Ah,,but I just remembered,,I have a buddy that is a City Cop & they carry M&P 45s,,I imagine its a Older one now,,but still could fondle it a bit,,:D I'll have to give him a call.

EzGoingKev
11-01-13, 08:55
So long as you can get over how thick it is...

I thought the SF models weren't that thick?

denn1911
11-01-13, 11:15
I have many rounds through my G21SF and M&P45. Out of the box, my G21SF has the better trigger and distinct reset. They're both been very reliable and extremely accurate. My dept. switched our duty pistol from the Sig P226 .40 to the M&P45. During the selection process, the G21SF and the M&P45 were tied for top honors. Ultimately, the M&P45 was chosen for its interchangeable backstraps and being lefty friendly. After 2 years, I have almost 18,000 rounds through my M&P45. The trigger has smoothed out nicely, but the reset is still non-existent. My advice would be to try each of them and see which feels and shoots best for you.

svtpwnz
11-01-13, 13:48
I like the ergo's of the M&P's but hate the triggers. Plus I am a Glock fan boy anyway so my choice would be the G21.

GUNSLINGER733
11-01-13, 15:54
Thanks guys for the update !! That is good news about the 45 M&P mags !! It must be a 9mm thing with the mag $$$$,,popularity I would imagine !! Yea,,true about the trigger,,,I actually had a M&P 40 S&W for a year or so,,really a great gun,,had good Trijicon sites,,,trigger all done up,,etc,,,got it in a trade ! No issues with the gun other than it was in 40 Cal,,:( I made the decision to stick to just two Calibers,,,9mm & 45 ACP,,,so I ditched it !! I'm in no hurry,,so I will keep lookin and try and get a hold/feel on the two side by side & make my decision then,,but around these parts,,that mite take awhile,,LOL !! Ah,,but I just remembered,,I have a buddy that is a City Cop & they carry M&P 45s,,I imagine its a Older one now,,but still could fondle it a bit,,:D I'll have to give him a call.

Yea your state sucks.lol

weggy
11-01-13, 16:11
Im looking for the pro's and cons of each. Ive decided i want a .45 caliber fighting pistol and have narrowed it down to the two of these based on price, capacity, and reliability. Im trying to decide between the two of them. Ive held both and they point and feel great for me. Which one is more durable? more accurate? right now im sorta leaning the direction of the M&P 45 because its a tad smaller, and American made.

Cheers!
I have both. The M&P fits my hand better, but the trigger just plain sucks. The Glock trigger is not great, but is better than the Smith. I carry the Glock.

m1a_scoutguy
11-01-13, 23:24
Yea your state sucks.lol

Yea,,no shit,,,,;) Thanks for the complement,,Ha,,Ha !!! Its friggin terrible,,like WTF are these people thinking !!! Its tough when the Whole State is controlled by the Lower 1/3rd !! :mad: People always say,,well why don't you move,,,:blink:Well,,give me a $60K a year job with bennys,,bring my Grandson and a few other things & I'll be happy to move,,,LOL !! Its like why the hell didn't the Kids move off Elm Street,,,duh !!! (Ya know Freddie Kruger & all,,LOL) its just one of those things. Oh well,,I'm already off track here,,don't want to get hollered at !! ;)

Ranger45
11-02-13, 11:33
I like both platforms, but the 21 SF gets the nod because of the trigger.

+1

I have a Gen4 G21 and love it. I'm also very fond of M&P9. But when it comes to a .45, I'd go with the G21 for the trigger and extra magazine capacity.

GUNFUN
11-03-13, 20:37
If you want reliability and a gun you can bet your life on get the g21.

masakari
11-03-13, 21:14
I have two M&P45s, and love them. one is my duty gun, and the other is for EDC. reliability, durability, and ergonomics are fantastic.
I recommend adding an APEX DCAEK so that you can have an excellent trigger. I also prefer the versions with manual safeties; they are removable, so it is nice to have the option.
one note: when they were new, my pistols did not like to feed Federal HSTs reliability because the case rim is slightly thicker than normal. as they wear in, it is not an issue, but it is important to note.

Iron Lung
11-03-13, 22:33
I can only comment on the G21SF as Ive had one for awhile nkw. Definitly a solid reliable shooter. Great truck and range gun. I also have it rotating nightstand duty with my USP45 tac and my 92FS.

Ive heard good things about the M&P but never shot one personally.

mrwilmoth
11-06-13, 00:07
M&P45 with a simple trigger job (http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf)

JusticeM4
11-07-13, 04:24
M&P.

I like both pistols, but prefer the M&P's versus Glock's. I've owned and shot both. M&P's just feel nicer in the hand, shoots nicer, and looks better IMO. I don't know why so many people complain about the factory M&P trigger. Its fine in my experience of owning 2 M&P's. Glock triggers are ok, nothing to write home about. A trigger upgrade with either gun would make them shoot a bit better.

And Glocks are ugly :lol:

FAB45
11-07-13, 09:32
I've always been a Glock guy, I have so many that when I was looking at a new .45 I decided to try something new and go with the M&P. so far the M&P has been superb. I think you would be fine with either selection. Try both in the hand.

Maverick07
11-07-13, 14:59
I say neither the G21 or the full size M&P 45 meets my needs. The M&P 45 mid-size is a different matter altogether. For me the mid-size hits the "sweet spot" as the combination of the 4" barrel length and full size grip results in a better pointing, lighter, more compact and better looking weapon than either the 21 or the heritage M&P 45. Glock has nothing that compares to the M&P45 mid. It sucessfully shoehorns the .45 into a 9mm sized package. Smith did a great job with the M&P45 mid.

Skyviking
11-09-13, 18:21
I like my Gen3 G21SF better than the M&P .45 middy I had. I like my HK45 and HK45C (NOT USP) even better for carry guns. Dropping $200-$300 into the M&P to get a decent trigger gets you into whispering distance of the HK45 LEM, which will still shoot rings around the M&P.

RogerinTPA
11-09-13, 20:33
I've had the M&P45 fullsize for years and have put at least 10K+ rounds thru it. The stock trigger and sear were GTG right out of the box...the only M&P I owned out of 4 (9, 9c, 40,45) that I could say that about. It's the best .45 (me coming from a 1911A1 background) I've ever shot, mild recoil, awesome ergonomics...a grip designed for a normal human hand, VS the Glock, in which it's grip I could never get accustomed to, despite owning one for over a decade, and modestly priced. It makes me wonder if Glock designed the grip for use in one handed european style marksmanship, rather than follow a grip design similar to John Brownings grip angle design...which many would argue, is the best design for the human hand.

newyork
11-11-13, 08:01
Why not get the Gen 4 G21?

Maverick07
11-11-13, 14:30
Why not get the Gen 4 G21?

The G21 Gen 4 is like a fat chick who lost a few pounds but is still fat. What kills me about Glock is that they could can easily do G19-style .45 but fail to do so for whatever reason. Mate a G30S slide and barrel to a true G19 style frame instead of the funky chopped grip/extended mag and they may very well have my business in .45. Until then, the M&P 45 mid is in my use.

newyork
11-11-13, 14:39
The G21 Gen 4 is like a fat chick who lost a few pounds but is still fat. What kills me about Glock is that they could can easily do G19-style .45 but fail to do so for whatever reason. Mate a G30S slide and barrel to a true G19 style frame instead of the funky chopped grip/extended mag and they may very well have my business in .45. Until then, the M&P 45 mid is in my use.

I meant instead of the SF

Singlestack Wonder
11-11-13, 14:41
The G21 (especially GEN4 version) is my choice in non-1911 .45's. Having putting over 100k thru my G21SF over the last three years (round nose, HP, etc.) with no issues, I went ahead and purchased a G21 GEN4. Same flawless performance, less felt recoil.

civiliansheepdog
11-11-13, 15:35
I would buy the G21 SF or Gen. 4 21. I am a Glock fanboy, but have owned both and could never justify the money needed to fix the reset issues with the M&P.

Maverick07
11-11-13, 19:26
I meant instead of the SF

The SF has the same grip dimensions as the GEN 4 without an additional backstrap. Of the two, the GEN 4 has the better feel and a larger mag release. I like Glocks alot, but in .45 they are either too big or too funky (G30). I am slightly larger than average size but damn the full size Glock .45's are just too bulky. I do prefer the trigger of the Glock over the M&P mid but I am not going to spend a penny to upgrade as it has a decent trigger and has other ergonomic and creature features I prefer over the G21.

newyork
11-12-13, 08:05
I hear ya. Those Glock 45s are big for my baby hands. The 9mm/.40 size is perfect. Tried a G21SF and it felt big. I thought maybe the gen4 would be a little more comfy. Oh well. Happy searching.

The Count
11-14-13, 01:59
Having to spend almost 200 dollars on the M&P to make the trigger acceptable is a deal breaker for me. All a Glock needs is sights for me.

Dash50
11-14-13, 04:28
I have to admit, the only M&P I've handled was a 9 compact. My 21SF has a 6 pound trigger spring, a 6 pound striker spring and a Ghost 3.5 connector. The trigger is excellent, smooth all the way to a slight stack before release. Not to mention, at self defense distances it's a freaking laser. At 15 yards it'll even group Wolf into one big whole.