PDA

View Full Version : Which one should I get?

Evil Bert
12-15-09, 18:10
I have between $1,000 and $1,500 to spend on a 16" M4 Carbine upper. I would like to get everyone's comments on which one I should get. It will be mounted to a Bushmaster lower. Obviously the GP options are out of my price range. So I am looking for a top quality M4 upper that is completely mil spec (not over gassed) with T-markings. I prefer to not have one that is a monolithic rail, but it would not be a no go if it was.

What is the best DI complete upper assembly, for my price range?

RogerinTPA
12-15-09, 18:22
Any BCM Middy upper with the rail of your choice will do, even the "BFH" (Barrel Forged Hammer) uppers are under a Grand, unless you are looking for an M-4 type upper. Check out the entire page. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/New-AR15-parts-accessories-products-s/114.htm

Belmont31R
12-15-09, 18:22
I have between $1,000 and $1,500 to spend on a 16" M4 Carbine upper. I would like to get everyone's comments on which one I should get. It will be mounted to a Bushmaster lower. Obviously the GP options are out of my price range. So I am looking for a top quality M4 upper that is completely mil spec (not over gassed) with T-markings. I prefer to not have one that is a monolithic rail, but it would not be a no go if it was.

What is the best DI complete upper assembly, for my price range?

BCM w/ BCM bolt carrier group with rail of your choice.

MarshallDodge
12-15-09, 19:17
I would agree with the BCM mid-length advice.

ForTehNguyen
12-15-09, 19:21
no reason to get a carbine when midlength is the same price

BCM hammer forge middy with 12" Daniel Defense Rail:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20ddl12.htm

BCM hammer forge middy with 12" Larue Rail:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-LaRue-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20lt12.htm

then get a BCM M16 BCG with a BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle, throw on some Troy BUIS:
http://weaponparts.storesecured.com/items/ar15-accessories/troy-industries/sight-front-m4-style-sight-and-rear-folding-sight-black-front-m4-and-rear-folding-sight-black-detail.htm

mil_dot556
12-16-09, 10:48
just like everyone else said, BCM

ForTehNguyen
12-16-09, 11:41
just to make sure, XCRFan, are you familiar with why many are suggesting the middy over a carbine?

nutnless220
12-16-09, 12:03

Dunderway
12-16-09, 21:24
I have a few questions that might help you to get some better answers:

1. Are you upgrading a complete Bushmaster or just completing a BM lower?

2. If you are upgrading the complete, do you already have a good set of BUIS, RDS, etc? If not, is that included in your budget?

3. What kind of set-up do you want? Free float rail or plastic guards, standard or folding front sight, mid or M4?

Evil Bert
12-16-09, 22:23
I have a few questions that might help you to get some better answers:

1. Are you upgrading a complete Bushmaster or just completing a BM lower?A BM lower. I had this lower laying around so I wanted to buy an upper to go with it.

2. If you are upgrading the complete, do you already have a good set of BUIS, RDS, etc? If not, is that included in your budget? I have everything I need except the upper assembly.

3. What kind of set-up do you want? Free float rail or plastic guards, standard or folding front sight, mid or M4?I have a 7" DD Omega Rail which is a free flat rail. So I will be using that on it. I am looking for a Carbine length gas system (M4).

See my responses in Red. :D

glocktogo
12-16-09, 23:38
Any of the BCM mid lengths would be a good choice, but I'd take a hard look at the Noveske low pro's as well. Then I'd sell the 7.0 to cover the cost of a Larue optic mount.

SWATcop556
12-17-09, 02:33
As a lot of others have suggested I'm a huge supporter and user of BCM products. I personally would choose their 16" midlength but if you are set on the carbine then their 16" M4 is a excellent choice. Also the DDM4 and the XV are leading choices in the carbine selection as well.

My personal choice is if I'm running a 16" barrel I want a midlength gas system. If I'm running an SBR then a carbine length gas system is necessary for obvious reasons.

I'm anxiously awaiting BCMs 14.5 midlength as I have a feeling this will replace my 16" middy fir uniformed duty.

scottj
12-17-09, 17:09
I am new to this forum and I am researching my first AR purchase. I am looking at getting the BCM middy 16" on G&R. My question regarding this post is why are all the replies suggesting the BCM upper? Is it really that good? I am also prefer to get a mid-length barrel but I am wondering why I would consider a carbine length barrel. Is the mid-length the best way to go? What reasons are there for getting a carbine-length barrel?

glocktogo
12-18-09, 12:54
I am new to this forum and I am researching my first AR purchase. I am looking at getting the BCM middy 16" on G&R. My question regarding this post is why are all the replies suggesting the BCM upper? Is it really that good? I am also prefer to get a mid-length barrel but I am wondering why I would consider a carbine length barrel. Is the mid-length the best way to go? What reasons are there for getting a carbine-length barrel?

Yes, BCM is that good, especially for the price.

Reasons to use a mid-length gas system: smoother cycling because it isn't as likely to be overgassed (which increases parts longevity), more surface area to mount accessories and easier to use currently preferred grip techniques.

Reasons to use carbine length gas system: SBR with a barrel to short to use a midlength system, weight savings for a lightweight build or to better balance the weight of the carbine (still rather have a middy).

Evil Bert
01-03-10, 15:13
I have narrowed my decision down to 3 upper receiver groups.

ALL are M4 Carbine gas systems, 1/7 twist, laser engraved T markings, Chrome lined, Phosphate finish, F marked front sight, cold hammer forged, NATO chambers, etc.

One is an LMT, BCM, and the other is a Spike's.

The LMT is $485
The BCM is $425 (out of stock though)
The Spike's is $599

However the Spike's comes with an M16 (FA) bolt carrier and bolt, and charging handle, and H2 buffer. The BCM and LMT come with none of that.

So I know BCM and LMT are very, very good top of the line uppers, but what about Spike's, since it appears to be the better value?

SeriousStudent
01-03-10, 15:56

However the Spike's comes with an M16 (FA) bolt carrier and bolt, and charging handle, and H2 buffer. The BCM and LMT come with none of that.

So I know BCM and LMT are very, very good top of the line uppers, but what about Spike's, since it appears to be the better value?

The Bravo Company full-auto bolt carrier groups are pretty much the gold standard. They are worth the investment of a few extra dollars.

Their new Gunfighter charging handle has also received excellent reviews from learned folks.

I'm not talking smack about LMT. I own an LMT Defender, and like it a lot. They make fine weapons.

Having said that, my "oh poop" weapon is a BCM middy carbine.

Good luck to you. :)

RSS1911
01-03-10, 16:18
How about a BCM?

I have a BCM 16" Middy, which runs perfectly, and will, on Wednesday, have a BCM 14.5" carbine upper (with BCM BGC, Gunfighter CH and DD Omega 7).

ForTehNguyen
01-03-10, 18:19
might as well get a midlength when its the same price as a carby

gamo
01-04-10, 11:37
There's a few different Noveske N4 Light uppers

ra2bach
01-04-10, 11:49
for $1000-$1500 the world is your oyster, upper wise...

first, decide what you want to do with it. mission drives the gear so focus on that and your questions will start to answer themselves.

or, at the top end of the money you have stated, you could get two very nice uppers that would solve different problems.

GMZ
01-04-10, 11:58
I have narrowed my decision down to 3 upper receiver groups.

ALL are M4 Carbine gas systems, 1/7 twist, laser engraved T markings, Chrome lined, Phosphate finish, F marked front sight, cold hammer forged, NATO chambers, etc.

One is an LMT, BCM, and the other is a Spike's.

The LMT is $485
The BCM is $425 (out of stock though)
The Spike's is $599

You can add a BCM M16 BCG and CH for +$145, an H2 from BCM is $29.95 so Spikes isnt a better value its the same price as a complete BCM upper.

Edit: Oh yea, go with BCM.

ForTehNguyen
01-04-10, 14:47
BCM Auto BCG is $140 but then the BCG + charging handle combo is $145. Can just get a regular CH for a spare ($5 more) and get a Gunfighter CH as your main.

glockshooter
01-04-10, 19:29
Since you plan on using a 7" omega rail I would go with either a BCM or LMT. As you already know the BCM is not available right now, so I think the choice is made for you. I can personally vouch that you will not be disappointed with the LMT.

Matt

Newaza
01-04-10, 20:17
I sure wish BCM would crank out their M4 uppers with a CHF barrel.

SWATcop556
01-05-10, 00:58
You couldn't pay me to shoot the Spikes.

I pay to shoot the BCM. :cool:

YMMV

LMTRocks
01-05-10, 11:17
might as well get a midlength when its the same price as a carby

XCR has an omega 7 handgurd already though. The middy will have gas tube showing under it....not pretty:eek:

ForTehNguyen
01-05-10, 11:31
XCR has an omega 7 handgurd already though. The middy will have gas tube showing under it....not pretty:eek:

if he has $1000-1500 to spend on an upper he can easily get a BCM Middy with a DD Lite 12.0 or a Larue 12.0, BCM M16 BCG, Gunfighter CH, and irons. Would be better if he just sold the DD Omega 7.0 to fund a railed middy.