PDA

View Full Version : Coating a knife.

patriot_man
12-15-09, 22:51
Hey guys I have recently gotten a SOG Trident that has started to rust. No idea how as I oil my blade often with mineral oil. Anyways I was wondering once I get this rust off (Naval jelly). What could I do to prevent more rusting? I was thinking about coating it with something but as I am new to knives I do not really know what would last long. Thanks.

oef24
12-16-09, 00:21
Eezox should stop the rust.

cosmok
12-16-09, 06:20
Hey guys I have recently gotten a SOG Trident that has started to rust. No idea how as I oil my blade often with mineral oil. Anyways I was wondering once I get this rust off (Naval jelly). What could I do to prevent more rusting? I was thinking about coating it with something but as I am new to knives I do not really know what would last long. Thanks.

Try 000 steel wool and WD40 to remove the rust. I wipe blades that I'm working on down with it and it keeps the rust at bay pretty good. As far as coating goes are you talking about painting? I've used dura-coat with good success in the past. You might try tuff cloth as well.

patriot_man
12-16-09, 19:00
Try 000 steel wool and WD40 to remove the rust. I wipe blades that I'm working on down with it and it keeps the rust at bay pretty good. As far as coating goes are you talking about painting? I've used dura-coat with good success in the past. You might try tuff cloth as well.

I already have some naval jelly but I will try that next time. I am looking for a permanent ( or long lasting coating) not just lubrication. How is that dura coat lasting? I guess I will have to sacrifice the SOG logo if I do dura coat it. Are there any clear coatings for knives?

99HMC4
12-16-09, 19:11
DuraCoat works well....

cosmok
12-16-09, 21:10
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=TC12&storeid=1&image=TCC1.gif&CFID=41175476&CFTOKEN=57261534

That is a link for their "clear coat", I haven't used it myself but if performance of their other products is any indication, you have nothing to worry about. I use dura coat on my tool steel blades and have never had any complaints.

Eric

patriot_man
12-16-09, 21:16
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=TC12&storeid=1&image=TCC1.gif&CFID=41175476&CFTOKEN=57261534

That is a link for their "clear coat", I haven't used it myself but if performance of their other products is any indication, you have nothing to worry about. I use dura coat on my tool steel blades and have never had any complaints.

Eric

Thanks seeing as you don't have a complaint with dura-coat I guess I'll try it out. I may also pick up some of that clear coat. Thanks

Bantee
12-16-09, 21:22
Turtle wax, works on guns too.;)

99HMC4
12-16-09, 21:56
Turtle wax, works on guns too.;)

Yup, seals all the moisture in real good...

travistheone
12-16-09, 22:16
If you are willing to pay for it, check these guys out.

http://uparmored.tripod.com/

Bantee
12-16-09, 22:41
Yup, seals all the moisture in real good...

Moisture without oxygen does nothing.

99HMC4
12-16-09, 22:52
Moistuer contains water, water contains oxygen. Its a self contained oxidizer....;)
Plus it doesnt really "seal" 100%.....

Bantee
12-16-09, 23:00
Been using it on blued 1911's for a decade, no issues yet. also slicks up tight fitting leather holsters. If car waxes contained moisture no-one would use it on their cars. "Who'm I sh!@@ing? I don't wax my car!:D

woody d
12-17-09, 11:30
you must admit tho, youve never seen someone wax a bare metal car

99HMC4
12-17-09, 17:25
Been using it on blued 1911's for a decade, no issues yet. also slicks up tight fitting leather holsters. If car waxes contained moisture no-one would use it on their cars. "Who'm I sh!@@ing? I don't wax my car!:D

The wax does not contian moisture but your firearm may. I own an automotive paint company, I know some things about wax...;) If it works for you thats great, so do you clean your car with CLP?

theJanitor
12-17-09, 19:36
Don't use whatever emerson uses. this much "paint" scraped off when i punched this knife through a steel beverage can. the paint peeled/flaked off and i had to make sure i wasn't ingesting it. you can actually feel how much of the thickness was removed with your fingers.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/knives/aaemerson006.jpg

maximus83
12-18-09, 17:32
It's a judgment call, but with my knives, I no longer bother trying to put a permanent coating on a knife blade. Because it is a working tool that will frequently come into harsh contact with a variety of materials, I've found that coatings usually just come off of a blade, often in a very unattractive and uneven fashion, like the Emerson pictured. Admittedly I haven't tried every possible coating, so maybe there is some miracle new coating that will resist everything. But it does seem to be a pattern that as soon as the knife is subjected to some hard use, the coating will begin to suffer. With a working tool like a knife blade, especially if it's knife that you USE rather than just carry around or leave it bug-out bag somewhere, you're going to have to maintain it regularly anyway, with or without a coating. For that reason, I would suggest just wiping it down regularly with a high quality rust-resistant solution like Eezox, CorrosionX, Ballistol, or something like that "Blue Lube" stuff that Benchmade sells.

bkb0000
12-18-09, 18:23
i have no experience coating knife blades, but lacquer comes to mind when you say "clear coating." just dip the blade right in the can. i may even try it myself- i have several knives that are kept in BOBs in my cold, damp-air garage for months at a time between oilings. probably work great for that, at least.

EzGoingKev
01-03-10, 20:32
I got a knife that is parkerized but is has been just sitting around on a shelf so I am not sure how that finish will hold up.

Vic303
01-05-10, 23:43
Buy a knife in H-1 steel. It won't rust. :cool:

patriot_man
01-05-10, 23:43
Buy a knife in H-1 steel. It won't rust. :cool:

I was thinking about buying a mission titanium knife... just trying to get my wallet to cooperate :D

four
01-06-10, 11:15
I've always used Carnuba. but they always require some maintenance. I have a couple dura-coted knives that get specks of rust on the ground edge if I let them go too long.

nismo1013
01-07-10, 18:13
Thought about cerakote?

http://www.nicindustries.com/cerakote.php