PDA

View Full Version : M&P owners: couple questions on full-size vs compact models

BAC
12-15-09, 23:51
In looking at my next handgun purchase, I keep finding more reasons to lean toward a M&P 9mm. The catch, for me, is that the M&P seems a little taller / longer in the grip than my full-size 1911. My 1911 is the upper limit of what I can conceal; I'm just not big enough to conceal anything more. Which brings me to my question...

Is there any configuration of the M&P that shortens the grip a little bit? I'm not looking for something as small as the compact model, just a little shorter (height / grip length) than the full-sized model. A "Glock 19" size M&P, I guess. Does such an animal exist? If the grip is chopped, are there mags to make this animal exist?

-B

the_fallguy
12-16-09, 00:28
The only Glock 19 sized M&P I know of is the M&P 45 Compact, which unfortunately (IMO) isn't a 9mm. If Smith & Wesson would go ahead and make a mid-sized 9mm I would dump my Glock 19 for one in a heart beat, but no such animal exists to my knowledge.

firecop019
12-16-09, 07:28
The only Glock 19 sized M&P I know of is the M&P 45 Compact, which unfortunately (IMO) isn't a 9mm. If Smith & Wesson would go ahead and make a mid-sized 9mm I would dump my Glock 19 for one in a heart beat, but no such animal exists to my knowledge.

Yeah this is the only mid-size type gun they make. The full size M&P is hard to conceal but I've done it. I'm 5'7" 173lbs.

John_Wayne777
12-16-09, 07:52
In looking at my next handgun purchase, I keep finding more reasons to lean toward a M&P 9mm. The catch, for me, is that the M&P seems a little taller / longer in the grip than my full-size 1911. My 1911 is the upper limit of what I can conceal; I'm just not big enough to conceal anything more. Which brings me to my question...

When I get home tonight I'll try to break out the digital calipers and get you a reading on height between the 1911 and the M&P.

Speaking subjectively just as a dude who has carried both, I don't find that the M&P is any worse in that respect than the 1911...in fact, I think it's actually shorter in the height area than the 1911 or the G17.

The 9C is, of course, even more compact than the full sized M&P. It's slightly smaller than the G19, slightly larger than the G26.

There is an M&P .45 compact that is G19 sized.

To the best of my knowledge there are only two 9mm/.40/.357 mags, the full sized versions and the compact versions. There's no in-between versions.

larry0071
12-16-09, 12:05
This is a terrible pictures, but it is a Glock 17 full size to compare to a MP9c compact 9mm. Since most everyone alive has at least held a Glock 17 and it was mentioned, it's a good comparator until John_Wayne gets phsical measurements.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/Pistols/IMAG0232.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/larry0071/Pistols/Glock_17_VS_MP9c.jpg

John_Wayne777
12-16-09, 21:10
Les Baer 1911 w/ Novak sights:

From bottom of mainspring housing to the top of the sight is 5.342"
From bottom of the mag well (no mag in the weapon) to the top round of the slide is 5.243"

An 8 round Wilson mag with a standard basepad would add considerably to the height of the weapon...but I can't find my 1911 mags right now. :o

M&P 9 w/ Warren Tactical sights:

From the bottom of the grip tool to the top of the rear sight is 5.345"
From bottom of the mag well (no mag in the weapon) to the top of the slide is 5.022"
With mag in it's 5.339" from the bottom of the mag to the top of the slide

Glock 17 with w/ Warren Tactical sights:

From bottom of the rear of the grip to the top of the sight is 5.057"
From bottom of the mag well (no mag in the weapon) to the top of the slide is 5.007"
With mag in it's 5.368" from the bottom of the mag to the top of the slide

M&P 9 C w/ Warren Tactical sights:

From bottom of the grip tool to the top of the rear sight is 4.300"
From bottom of the mag well (no mag in the weapon) to the top of the slide is 4.000"
With mag in it's 4.257" from the bottom of the mag (standard baseplate, not the extended pinky baseplate) to the top of the slide

Measurement done with a Kobalt digital caliper

So as you can see, the M&P fully loaded isn't going to be noticeably (.003 won't be noticed) taller than the 1911 without a mag inserted or when used with a flush-fitting magazine.

Droid phone pics:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/WedDec16221326AmericaNew_York2009.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/WedDec16221351AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

The 9C offers an advantage over both platforms as far as height goes. I find that the 9C prints less for those occasions when you can't afford to print at all.

CoryCop25
12-16-09, 21:16
My M&P.40c goes in my back pocket with a long shirt to cover the pocket on days that I normally would not carry a pistol. I prefer to carry my G23 over my full size M&P. I only loose 1 round in the capacity department.

BAC
12-16-09, 22:12
Thanks for taking the time to measure it out J_W. With all of this being said, do you think it would be a worthwhile venture for Smith & Wesson to make a M&P 45c-sized M&P 9? This gun would effectively replace my 1911 as my CCW, and I'm still on a college student's budget so I'm wondering if it's worth the wait of if I should suck it up and get the full-sized M&P 9 and spend what would be waiting time practicing instead.

-B

John_Wayne777
12-16-09, 23:37
Probably not.

The 9C is slightly smaller than a G19, but not dramatically so, especially with the extended baseplate on the 9C magazine. It's just as easy to shoot, in my opinion, as the G19. I just don't see any logic in making a slightly larger compact.

...now that's just my opinion. Gun companies often do things that make absolutely no sense to me, so the fact that I think it's a losing idea may mean that somewhere at S&W HQ somebody thinks it's the greatest idea ever. As far as I know there isn't going to be a G19 sized M&P in 9/.40/.357 produced.

There is the possibility of a single-stack M&P coming out at SHOT, IIRC, but I would imagine that gun would be in the size range of the 9C, only thinner.

RadioActivity
12-17-09, 04:53
Probably not.

There is the possibility of a single-stack M&P coming out at SHOT, IIRC, but I would imagine that gun would be in the size range of the 9C, only thinner.

THAT would be awesome. I think that would be a great seller.

dirksterg30
12-17-09, 10:50
There are some G19-sized M&Ps out there, but they are custom jobs:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=8978

Dan Burwell has one on his website: http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/gallery/Chopper/index.html

BAC
12-17-09, 14:10
Depending on how the Burwell-modified M&Ps run, that might have just sold me on the M&P vs a Glock 19. Thanks for sharing that dirksterg.

-B