PDA

View Full Version : A year with the Glock 26

Pages : [1] 2

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-16-09, 00:21
Hey guys,

Each year I try and shoot a gun exclusively. I usually fail. 3-4 years ago I bought a P2000 and shot it around 13k in one year. The next year I bought an HK 45 and shot...13k in one year. Last year I shot 1911s after an abortive attempt to shoot a P7 for a year (sold the gun). Usually I get bored and start shooting another gun before the experiment fails.

So, this year I plan on shooting a G26 EXCLUSIVELY, for one year. I plan on keeping up with the weekly log on this threat for the whole year. I will probably attend at least two classes this year, including one at US training. I may compete in some local matches (baby permitting) also. I will try to include pictures of the gun and other things I see along the way.

I usually shoot about 200 rounds a week of full power ammo. Hopefully, I can buy the ammo this year rather than loading it (like .45 last year). I am starting to see 9mm on the shelves pretty consistently. I will probably shoot more than that, I usually do, but I am confident I can find 200 rounds a week without getting gouged too badly.

I have already ordered some Warren tactical sights for it. Hopefully I can get them on by next weekend. I will shoot it with the standard Glock sights this weekend.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0970/web.jpg?ver=12609451410001
As an aside, I decided to clean the internals of my G17 tonight. This gun hasn't been cleaned in 3-4 years. And it shows....

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0961.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12609442620001

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0963/web.jpg?ver=12609442930001

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_0966/web.jpg?ver=12609442960001

GMZ
12-16-09, 06:31
Sounds good, I picked up a 26 recently to complement my 19 and to be honest I like it more! Especially after putting a 3.5 lb connector and big dots.

M4arc
12-16-09, 06:34
Awesome Greg, I'm looking forward to this! Years ago I bought a G26 for summer carry, when I usually wear shorts and t-shirts, because I was looking for something that concealed a little better than my G19. Summer came and sent and I was still carrying (primarily) my G26 and I continue to carry it year around to this day.

John_Wayne777
12-16-09, 07:56
The G26 is my favorite Glock. I don't like Glocks all that much, but the G26 is a blend of size, power, capacity and reliability it's tough to beat. I lost my G26 to a buddy who needed a decent carry gun. I offered him a moneyback guarantee on my G26 and his response when I asked him about returning it was "Are you out of your mind? This thing is great! Only an idiot would part with one."

"...."

".....well, I mean, not you of course, but...."

:D

Detmongo
12-16-09, 08:15
my 26 is my backup gun. it's also my i don't feel like carrying a gun today gun. it is a tough little gun. i recieved this gun from a shooting budies estate, so it had a few rounds thru before it came to me. since i have had it , i put 20,000 rds thru it about half being 124 gr.+p gold dot. all i have done to it was change two extractors and a few recoil spring assem.. it is a great carry gun, i find myself carrying it more and more on my own time than my 19.:D

ToddG
12-16-09, 09:47
it's also my i don't feel like carrying a gun today gun.

But in fairness, a G26 on you is relatively speaking like this for the rest of us:
http://www.riflegear.com/blogimages/smallestgun/smallestgun.jpg

:cool:

Aristogeiton
12-16-09, 09:58
Looking forward to this Greg! Thanks!:D

I just bought a G26 a few months ago and will live vicariously through your reports, as I doubt I will be able to shoot as much as you do.

I feel like a failure... ;)

12-16-09, 09:59
Hey Todd,
A while back I saw a section/site where shooters could post their results of shooting a gun for 2000 rounds without cleaning. Could you point that out for me? Can't seem to find it again.
Thanks

ToddG
12-16-09, 10:23
The 2,000 Round Challenge (http://9x19mm.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=176)

2,000 Round Challenge discussion thread (http://9x19mm.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=192)

I can't speak for the M4C mods & staff, but if someone wanted to start a new thread here for the test rather than having to join CALIBERS, my feelings wouldn't be hurt.

Detmongo
12-16-09, 10:56
yes Todd my hands are alittle on the large size. i wear a size 13 vickers tact. glove and they are tight on me.

Business_Casual
12-16-09, 10:56
No offense, but I really don't see any point to not lubricating a weapon on a regular basis.

If you treated your car that way people would laugh at you or assume you were a woman.

M_P

NCPatrolAR
12-16-09, 11:47
I've carried a 26 for 8 years as a BUG at work. Originally I had the horrible NY2 spring in it (dept policy) and hated shooting the gun. When policy changed, I dropped a - connector and 5# spring in the gun and it became much more shootable. While I like to shoot it; I still prefer a 19 if forced to shoot a Glock.

Drew78
12-16-09, 14:13
Subscribed...

Looking forward to seeing this one play out. I too used my 26 only for summer carry, but it has turned into my year rounder and the 19 only gets a little range time now and again.

I acutally had my first failure with my 26 at the range yesterday! It failed to feed completly using 115 gr wwb ammo. Tapped the rear of the slide and it went into battery and was able to finish the mag w/o issue. I may have limp wristed it a touch as I was at the tail end of a pretty long string of semi rapid fire ;)

Not to hi-jack any further, but speaking of the Glock 26.... I have had several stoppages as of late with the gun. Not its fault, but mine. Somehow my support hand (left hand) is engaging the slide stop lever up durring rapid fire. Really annoying as it just started happening after thousands and thousands or trouble free rounds down range. Must be in my grip or perhaps not keeping my wrists locked out enough. Thoughts???

Anyway, looking forward the the evolving reports as the year goes by for one sweet little shootin pistol!

-Drew

M4arc
12-16-09, 14:39
Drew are you running the extended slide stop lever?

Drew78
12-16-09, 14:45
No I am not, wish it were that easy! Eveything is stock except the sights.

Seems like the "fatty" part of the base of my thumb, where it ties into my palm/hand rides up on it enough to push it up.

I was acutally thinking about removing it from the frame and "griding" it down so it is thinner from top to bottom. I dont want to go overboard b/c I fear that when it is locked into the slide on hold back, when it disengages, it could bind up on the top of the frame. My thinking is that once I modified it, it wouldnt be overlapping the top of the frame.

I couldnt have been more shocked when it happend, then again and again...

It really is a ball buster....

Detmongo
12-16-09, 16:42
drew,
a few things can be happening . your recoil spring could be weak, the meat of your thumb can be pushing up on the slide release. i on the other hnad ran extened slide stops for awhile and all was good till my grip changed and the slide started locking open in the middle of a string of fire, i trashed a few mags thinking the mags were bad but found the problem was the extended slide release. what happened was i would push up on it during a string of fire causing the slide to lock open in mid string. hope this helps.

CoryCop25
12-16-09, 16:55
Not to hi-jack any further, but speaking of the Glock 26.... I have had several stoppages as of late with the gun. Not its fault, but mine. Somehow my support hand (left hand) is engaging the slide stop lever up during rapid fire. Really annoying as it just started happening after thousands and thousands or trouble free rounds down range. Must be in my grip or perhaps not keeping my wrists locked out enough. Thoughts???

-Drew

Try some grip tape. I know grip tape sucks on a CCW gun but it may help a bit.

Drew78
12-16-09, 20:01
Thanks for the replies fellas. I am running a very high tech inner tube on my grip already. Better imo than grip tape.

I may modify my grip as follows:

Support hand (left hand), middle finger tucked in between right hand tigger and middle finger. Almost like anchoring my support finger to the grip. Hard to explain. That and I need to man up and regain my grip and focus!

-drew

Edit: I just replaced my recoil assmb with a new one about a month ago. Never had this issue with my orig spring. Hmmmm.... Possibly have a bum spring I guess.

VA_Dinger
12-16-09, 20:31
Sounds great.

I’ve been planning on buying a G26 this year so I will be following this thread very closely.

Agile53
12-16-09, 20:38
Also looking forward to it. Been carrying a 26 in an ankle rig as a BUG for many years.
Rotated it to my primary since Ben has got the 19 for some work, this should be good.

M4arc
12-16-09, 20:41
Also looking forward to it. Been carrying a 26 in an ankle rig as a BUG for many years.
Rotated it to my primary since Ben has got the 19 for some work, this should be good.

Becareful, that G26 might just stay as your primary CCW ;)

Agile53
12-16-09, 20:54
Understood, starting to already feel @ home in my IWB.
Moved a J-frame into the BUG slot, guess I need to find another
442/642. Two is one when carrying, IMO.

Sproggy
12-16-09, 21:29
I never could get the 26 to grow on me. Even with the extensions it wasnt comfortable for me to shoot, and i dont have large hands. I think it was the "hump" on the backstrap. I love my 19's and my 17, but the 26 just didnt do it for me.

ToddG
12-16-09, 23:18
If you treated your car that way people would laugh at you or assume you were a woman.

So you change the oil in your car every time you park it?

Somehow my support hand (left hand) is engaging the slide stop lever up durring rapid fire.

This is fairly common with the baby Glocks, especially when hands get fatigued during extended rapid fire. Spend some time examining your grip and remember you want to clamp sideways hard with your support hand.

Also, as Det said, verify your recoil spring isn't the culprit.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-16-09, 23:35
Sproggy,

I have owned at least one Glock 26 before (it is a sign that you are old and a gun nut that you forget how many of a gun you have owned). It never really grew on me either. My principle complaint was the width of the gun. Now, I know people going by published measurements can fool themselves into thinking this is a thin gun--it is not. It is chunky and it is consistently chunky in the areas that count. However, it is VERY short. In fact, I set it next to my old Kahr PM9 and the grip is actually a bit shorter. This means, for me, it does not print when carried IWB.

I also like the idea that the Glock 26 is, other than the pinky hang, no different than shooting my G17. I have (as the pictures above attest) quite a few rounds through my G17. I also have a AA 22 conversion for the G17.

The G26 also has a lot of rounds for the size. 11 rounds is a fair amount. Although I know I will lose my tactical guy status for this, I have to confess I rarely, rarely carry a spare mag. One of the advantages my Kahr had was the thinness of the spare mags. The G26 mags are chunky. But since I rarely bother to pack a spare mag anyway, I figure that advantage was moot.

I have owned G19s in the past. I know this gun is the holy grail for a lot of folks. And I guess they are a good compromise for someone who wants "one gun." But I have always felt that if I am carrying a gun as big as the G19 (which is just as chunky but also long with a grip that prints as badly as the full size) I might as well get the G17. But that is just my personal hang-up.

Anyway, I will probably be shooting the cheapest ammo I can find through this gun. Like my P2000, I will probably shoot a bunch of steel cased ammo through it as long as it will cycle it and it comes at a savings. I figure if shooting steel saves me $4 a week that should save me at least $200 this year--which is enough to replace the barrel if it becomes an issue. :D

ToddG
12-16-09, 23:43
Greg -- If you were so inclined, I'd love to cross-post some of your weekly logs at my site once you're up and running. Shoot me a PM if you're interested...

one
12-17-09, 00:06
I've carried a G26 for so many years I automatically click on any thread on a forum with it in the title.

I've worked plain clothes for just under five years now and it's my primary gun, normally with a factory +2. I've never felt undergunned in anyway. And I can consistently qual perfect scores with it.

In fact I shoot it so much that I literally invested in a Dillon Super 1050 to feed it. Believe me I feel like that's dedication to a sidearm! Of course it can cover a myrad of other 9's that I own but the 26 is it's primary use of a feed supply.

Mine is an early model with no front checkering, plain frontstrap. I've outfitted it with Heinie straight eight slant pros, Vicker's mag catch, 3.5 connector and can't imagine a better configuration for me.

One thing that interests me the most is that while I get very tight groupings with either the +2 or without, use of the flush bottom mag actually brings the groups tighter. I believe it's a result of my gripping the gun tighter with the two contact fingers. Whatever the reason I'm happy.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-17-09, 00:30
One,

It is my intention to use the flush mags only. I will ocassionally run a G17 mag (or G18:D) for fun. But I figure the flush mag/short grip is really what sets the G26 apart.

M4arc
12-17-09, 08:11
Mine is an early model with no front checkering, plain frontstrap. I've outfitted it with Heinie straight eight slant pros, Vicker's mag catch, 3.5 connector and can't imagine a better configuration for me.

Not to further hi-jack Greg's thread but I found one of these early G26 at the local gun shop (used of course) and I'm seriously thinking about picking it up. I love the early G26s!

Sorry Greg :o

tr1kstanc3
12-17-09, 08:21
Have you considered running the GAP floorplates? I just picked up a pair and they seem to be of good quality. Although for whatever reason I find myself shooting better using the flush mag as well. Go figure.

ST911
12-17-09, 08:43
Have you considered running the GAP floorplates? I just picked up a pair and they seem to be of good quality. Although for whatever reason I find myself shooting better using the flush mag as well. Go figure.

Not surprising, and often seen. Much of the motion induced from heeling and other extraneous muscle movement travels up the base of your hand. Having less of that part of the hand limits your ability to induce that motion.

Many (most?) folks put pinky extensions on their guns because the think the gun doesn't "feel" right without them, not understanding the forces at work.

Using a G26 or a G27 is a useful diagnostic and remediation tool when a shooter is struggling with certain problems in the larger frames. I have had many shoot better, sooner, with the subcompacts and then transition back to the compact and standard.

M4arc
12-17-09, 11:52
Greg -- If you were so inclined, I'd love to cross-post some of your weekly logs at my site once you're up and running. Shoot me a PM if you're interested...

:cool:

KellyTTE
12-17-09, 12:01
The Magpul Glock Speedplates also fit 26/27 mags, give you a bit of grip without a lot of weight/length.

wicked_police
12-17-09, 14:16
The 2,000 Round Challenge (http://9x19mm.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=176)

2,000 Round Challenge discussion thread (http://9x19mm.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=192)

I can't speak for the M4C mods & staff, but if someone wanted to start a new thread here for the test rather than having to join CALIBERS, my feelings wouldn't be hurt.

I've got a few different guns that just went past the 2k mark. Out of 4 different models, only one brand/model had any type of stoppages.

With the other samples, I'm going to be shooting them until I start getting malfunctions, then give them a cleaning.

Irish
12-17-09, 14:30
Subscribed for interest.

Also, has anyone done a grip reduction on the 26 to make it even more concealable? I've yet to buy one but am considering it or a Kahr PM9 for summer Vegas carry, shorts & t-shirt.

mark5pt56
12-17-09, 14:47
My 26 is the oldest gun I own, been around a long time, I love it.

M4arc
12-17-09, 14:51
Subscribed for interest.

Also, has anyone done a grip reduction on the 26 to make it even more concealable? I've yet to buy one but am considering it or a Kahr PM9 for summer Vegas carry, shorts & t-shirt.

You mean chopping the grip or getting rid of the hollow space behind the magazine? It wouldn't make much difference.

I'm only 5'5" & 130lbs and I carry my G26 all summer long wearing only shorts & t-shirts. Granted it doesn't get as hot here but it's humid as hell making all your clothes stick to you and I haven't had an issue yet.

Irish
12-17-09, 14:59
You mean chopping the grip or getting rid of the hollow space behind the magazine? It wouldn't make much difference.

I'm only 5'5" & 130lbs and I carry my G26 all summer long wearing only shorts & t-shirts. Granted it doesn't get as hot here but it's humid as hell making all your clothes stick to you and I haven't had an issue yet.

I was thinking more along the lines of reducing the circumference like what I've seen done on a 19 or 17. Doesn't sound like it's much of a problem though.

Ever get set up with that Right? :D

Rayrevolver
12-17-09, 16:31
Just picked up my first G26 on 11 December and threw Warren Tacticals on it yesterday. I am getting used to both the little pistol and the new sights.

I cannot seem to get the mags out, this wasn't a problem on the G19/20/21. Reacquiring the grip after a reload is also tough.

Looking forward to getting proficient with this thing.

wicked_police
12-17-09, 20:32
...I will ocassionally run a G17 mag (or G18:D) for fun.

I found the G18 mags didn't work that great in the G26 when I had one. I think the mag wasn't supported enough by the short grip, and allowed it to move enough to cause feeding problems. 19 and 17 mags weren't an issue.

In the G19 and 17/34, the G18 mags work perfectly. :)

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-17-09, 22:03
"In the G19 and 17/34, the G18 mags work perfectly. "

And they work even better in the G17!:D

Hellfire
12-17-09, 22:37
I'm looking forward to the reports. I carry a 27.

Celer
12-18-09, 02:32
The only mags that reliably drop free in my G26 are G19 mags without spacers. Anything else is making contact w/the palm, and the resistance hinders mag movement.

I practice pulling out the mag with support hand while engaging the mag release. With the pierce grip extension, the firing hand pinky comes out, and middle/index of support rides the mag out. Since the G26 is my primary CCW, I'm not worried about training scars, but if you carry a full-size pistol this might not be a solution for you.

wicked_police
12-18-09, 11:41
The only mags that reliably drop free in my G26 are G19 mags without spacers. Anything else is making contact w/the palm, and the resistance hinders mag movement.

I practice pulling out the mag with support hand while engaging the mag release. With the pierce grip extension, the firing hand pinky comes out, and middle/index of support rides the mag out. Since the G26 is my primary CCW, I'm not worried about training scars, but if you carry a full-size pistol this might not be a solution for you.

I had a little of the same trouble when reloading with the G26(and have the exact same 'problem' with the M&Pc I'm working with right now). I have to make a very conscious move to get my pinky and base of my hand out of the way so the mag drops free.

It's not a big deal, and I was about .3 seconds slower on the mag change than with a full-size gun, so nothing a little more practice couldn't fix.

forgiven
12-19-09, 13:09
I found the G18 mags didn't work that great in the G26 when I had one. I think the mag wasn't supported enough by the short grip, and allowed it to move enough to cause feeding problems. 19 and 17 mags weren't an issue.

In the G19 and 17/34, the G18 mags work perfectly. :)

Weird - never had that problem.

skyugo
12-19-09, 14:26
i actually find i can reload the g26 with a g19 mag faster than i my g19. the lower part of my right hand helps me guide the mag into the magwell :D

the 26 is a great gun. about the only thing i do better with a G19 is draw. the full grip makes it a little easier to get out of the holster fast.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-19-09, 15:37
You know, I always noticed I drew my Kahr PM9 the fastest of all my guns. I always suspect it was the small size/weight. However, it wasn't my fastest fired. That usually went to my 1911s, which were heavy but had a great trigger.

I got my Warren sights in the mail today. I used my old Brownell's sight pusher to get the rear's on. I really like them. I have learned to love the U-notch rear on my 10-8 sight from my Officer's model. The U is much wider on the Warren. This will, surely, make the sight even faster--if a little more difficult at range.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2724/web.jpg?ver=12612580940001

I got the .215 front sight. I hope it works. I will shoot it tomorrow and report back.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2725.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12612581350001
As an aside, I went ammo shopping today. Jesus. People were asking $15-17 for 5 rounds of 9mm. LOL. Fortunately, I found some steel cased stuff for $9.99. What a rip. I have been reloading for .45 all year so the sticker shock was pretty bad. I knew prices had gone up--but it hits harder when it isn't theoretical.

Also, here is a pic of the internals of the slide--unshot (although I did oil the barrel). Maybe we can do a comparo at the end.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2728.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12612581680001

awm14hp
12-19-09, 16:04
I have a G 26 love it and shoot the 147 Ranger T out of it. It loves the load I carry it as BUG and primary sometimes I tried the Inner tube and went to 3m floor tape it works well for me.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-19-09, 16:56
My carry ammo will be 124grain +P Gold Dots. I have a bunch that people have traded to me when they traded up to .40s, 45s, 147 grains, etc.

I am considering dropping a factory 3.5 connector into the gun. I have one in the old parts box. Then again, I might not. I sort of want to keep the gun stock. I also like the challenge of shooting a small gun, with a mid weight trigger with a large U notch sight. Should make it a more of a chore than my usual 1911/HK45 with target style sights and 4 pound triggers.

M4arc
12-19-09, 17:23
That front sight looks NARROW! What is the standard width?

awm14hp
12-19-09, 17:25
My carry ammo will be 124grain +P Gold Dots. I have a bunch that people have traded to me when they traded up to .40s, 45s, 147 grains, etc.

I am considering dropping a factory 3.5 connector into the gun. I have one in the old parts box. Then again, I might not. I sort of want to keep the gun stock. I also like the challenge of shooting a small gun, with a mid weight trigger with a large U notch sight. Should make it a more of a chore than my usual 1911/HK45 with target style sights and 4 pound triggers.

Yeah I carried the 124 GD +p load my dad got a case of the 147 ranger T given to him he wanted to stay with the GD so gave them to me it sounds like a great package you will have Greg

SiGfever
12-19-09, 17:34
I do not have a G26 (yet :)) but I do like my G33 as my daily CCW. In hotter weather my PM9 gets the job but the G33 shoots great, accurate, and very controllable. I carry it in a Kytac Braveheart holster.

What holster do you carry your PM9 in? Currently I just use a Highnoon "Hidden Ally" but have been looking at the Crossbreed "MiniTuck".

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2459/img0935large0nc.jpg

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-19-09, 18:04
M4arc,

It is about .135-.14.

I carried the Kahr in a cheap Don Hume clip on IWB!:eek:

That .357 must be a helluva blaster. I always liked .357 SIG (haters leave me alone, I just do).

SiGfever
12-19-09, 19:16
M4arc,

It is about .135-.14.

I carried the Kahr in a cheap Don Hume clip on IWB!:eek:

That .357 must be a helluva blaster. I always liked .357 SIG (haters leave me alone, I just do).

It is actually quite controllable and deadly accurate. I have thought about picking up a 9mm conversion barrel to make shooting it a little easier on the pocket. I also have a G19 so I have more 9mm ammo than .357SiG. But when the little "Pocket Rocket" speaks, people turn and look. :D

I used to carry a SiG P239 .40S&W in a Don Hume H715-M W.C. and gave it to my son-in-law after selling that pistol. I really liked that holster and re-holstering was good with the reinforced opening.

tpd223
12-20-09, 02:15
I also really like the mini Glocks. I carried a G26 as a BUG for a few years when we had S&W 9mm for duty guns, then carried a G27 when we had G22s for awhile, then went back to the G26 when we traded the G22s for G17s.

I've carried a G27/27 in a Don Hume ankle rig for years. Lately I've been using a S&W 642 instead as the arthritis in my knee prefers a lighter gun, but the G26 is obviously the much more capable BUG.

I just can't make the stock magazines work for me, I use the Glock +2 bases on my G26 mags, the add a shelf for my pinkie and give me a 13 shot BUG.

For a belt level gun I prefer the G17 or G19, I find that I am rather slow on the draw with the smaller G26 grip.

I should note that the G26 is the most popular BUG on my job, and is primary for some of our detectives and most of our narcs. I've seen quite a few G26s come through our range during training and quals, they are very, very reliable and shootable. It is common for folks to have a better score with their G26 than their G17 during quals.

Both of my G26s have had a few thousand rounds through them without any stoppages. I normally carry either 124gr +P Gold Dot (issued duty load) or 127gr Winchester in them.

dtibbals
12-20-09, 10:31
I carried a G27 for about 5 years, loved the pistol but switched the G26 and really love it! It really is a do it all gun when it comes to CC. I have a G17 mag as a back up and have more then enough fire power. I keep it loaded with either Winchester Ranger +P+ or Federal HST 124gr +p.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-20-09, 17:59
Hey guys,

I took the 26 to the range for the first time today. Getting ammunition was absurd. I bought 100 rounds of WWB for $24. I then bought 100 rounds of Monarch steel cased Russian stuff for $9.99 a box. I also shot 56 rounds of loose Gold Dot, 115 Grain Remington Hollowpoints, Silvertips, etc. And finaly I shot an ancient box of Remington 115 grain hollowpoints that I recently got in a trade.

Three rounds in I got a nice feedway jam.:mad: This was with the WWB. I never cleaned the gun before I shot it but I did oil the rails and the barrel hood. I ignored the jam as a break in jam (which is common in my experience) and it didn't jam again for the next 303 shots.

After I shot the WWB I shot the Monarch. I was pleasantly suprised that the rounds were not weak. In the old days Monarch ammo was pretty light. This was no lighter than the WWB, and probably a little hotter. My shooting buddy Dan criticized my use of the steel cased ammo in my new Glock. But he agreed that the cost savings would easily pay for three or four barrels over a year of shooting. And my experience with the P2000 is that steel cased ammo is fine.

Finally, I shot the hodge-podge of 9mm my buddy Wes traded for me for some 1911 stuff a few months back. Some of this was Silver-tips dating back to the early 90s. It all worked like a charm.

I started the day by zeroing my pistol. I brought my Brownell's sight pusher. I was pleased that it was perfect elevation wise--with the bullet landing just above the front sight (basically on top). This matches the POI of my G17 perfectly. I only had to drift the rear sight a tiny bit to the left. Dead on.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2736/web.jpg?ver=12613512560001

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2731/web.jpg?ver=12613512520001
I then proceeded to shoot my steel plates. I decided three was enough since I wasn't going to walk back to my truck to get any more (lazy). My drill goes like this....

1. 1 shot at 21 feet from draw. Then 2, then 3. Repeat at 30 feet. Repeat at 25 yards.
2. 1 shot while walking forward from 21 feet from draw. Repeat as above except no 25 yard portion.
3. Walking backwards as above.
4. As above while walking side to side.
5. 21 feet strong hand and weak hand practice.

After this I just practiced drawing and shooting the plates as fast as I could from 30 feet. Fun!:D
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2742.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12613512050001

Let me say I was VERY impressed with the Warren sights. I was a little worried about the width of the rear notch when I first installed them. But at full extension the sight picture is perfect. They are very, very fast. The dot just jumps out of the notch. I was happy to be able to start dinging plates with ZERO adjustment from my usual sight picture. On my other Glocks I already used standard night sights but I blacken the rear sight. I am going to dust of my timer next week to see if I can measure the difference.
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2737/web.jpg?ver=12613512830001

I have also decided to stay with the factory trigger weight. This is a carry gun. I am (and I know this will earn some boos and hisses) a little leery of the 3.5 pound connector in a carry gun (and yes, I have done it). Plus, it just makes shooting the gun a bit more of a challenge.

Controlling the 26 is no big deal. Having spent 5 years shooting a Kahr PM9, the pinky thing doesn't bother me at all. As many people have noted before, the difficulty introduced by the short frame (and the heavier trigger) can sometimes lead to more careful shooting--creating the impression that short guns are more accurate.

Still, the Glock 26 is very accurate. I shot six inch plates at 21 and 30 feet--and 25 yards. I then shot a 1 foot plate at 50 an 100 yards. At 100 yards you have to nearly cover the plate with the dot--but if you will do it will do.

By the way. I am carrying in a Comp-tac IWB or Fobus paddle depending on how lazy or fat I feel.

I am looking forward to a year with this little Glock.

ToddG
12-20-09, 18:21
GB -- If you've never tried it, try combining a "-" connector with the NY trigger spring. You get about the same break weight on the trigger with (a) more resistance in the take up and (b) stronger reset.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-20-09, 19:34
I will try it out. Basically, I have "3.5 pound" connectors in my G17s. But since they aren't carry guns I didn't worry about it. I have been meaning to play around with the others.

SiGfever
12-20-09, 19:47
Great report. I have been considering the Warren's for my G19, nice to hear they worked so well for you.

M4arc
12-20-09, 20:00
Great report Greg! Try the CCC Looper for carrying your G26. I've been carrying mine in one for about three months now and I love it.

Don't worry about the steel case ammo. At most you'll need to replace the extractor if it chips but other than that you'll be fine.

ST911
12-20-09, 22:56
If using the (-) connector and NY1 combo, recommend that you use only OEM components to ensure reliable function.

Mark71
12-21-09, 12:26
Excellent write up Greg! Looking forward to this years test.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-21-09, 23:12
Just got 1000 rounds of Blazer delivered to my doorstep. 4-5 weeks are covered!:D

Rayrevolver
12-22-09, 00:19
Surplus Ammo near Seattle has brass cased Independence Ammo 9mm for $199. I don't know what they charge to ship though. I couldn't find any info on the ammo but I believe its made by CCI.

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_28&products_id=273&zenid=0278508601dbc8f7cdb9f98a2cce81d2

I don't think I can keep up with you but I am up 570 rounds in 10 days with this G26. I am getting used to the Warrens and also the 3.5 lb/NY1 combo again. So far so good.

OMB is selling the NY1 for $1.40 but the shipping will kill you. I have a spare if you want to try it.

EDIT: Per another forum Independence ammo is made in Brazil by MagTech, imported by CCI. Surplus Ammo also had 1000 rounds of reman BVAC for $199 if you want to stay with USA production ammo.

Dave James
12-22-09, 09:38
Will have to follow this thread for awhile, new to carrying glocks,swore by SIG's and 1911's for years but do to a hand injury the glocks work better now. Pm9 has been a pocket rocket for a couple of years on and off, as long as I run +p in her it runs full tilt boogie any thing else and it goes tits up, may have to think about a 26

skyugo
12-23-09, 00:25
i've shot quite a bit of steel case ammo with my glocks (19 and 26)
i doubt you'll have an issue. the tenifered extractor is far harder than the mild steel cases.

this should be a cool read overall...
i generally replace the recoil spring and trigger spring every 3k rounds on my g19. haven't hit 3k yet with the 26. do you suppose the double spring setup will last longer than the single spring on the G19?

operator81
12-23-09, 00:39
Greg, not sure if this would interest you or not, but I found the GAP floorplates to aide in control on my G26, especially during rapid fire. And they don't add to the length of the grip like the Pearce extensions do.

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/

trio
12-23-09, 00:47
If using the (-) connector and NY1 combo, recommend that you use only OEM components to ensure reliable function.

normally I might agree with this, but with glocks there is so much proven, long term, aftermarket stuff available, I think that you can go with one of the proven manufacturers and be fine...

i run a ghost connector and NY1 spring in all my glocks....several thousand of rounds through them with no issues whatsoever (including pushing 10k in one gun with that set up)

i really, really like that setup....

as an homage, after reading this thread a week ago, i put my normal EDC (G17) in the safe and pulled out the G26 and have been carrying it ever since

M4arc
12-23-09, 13:06
I put 100 rounds through my G26 this morning and really enjoy shooting it. I'm going to shoot it again tomorrow :D

BSHNT2015
12-23-09, 13:42
Good read, I wish I had $$$$ for ammo. Then again my depart allows me to shoot 40 for free.

markman
12-23-09, 18:40
I'm really surprised how much I like to shoot my G26. I never thought I'd like it as much as a 17 or 19.

M4arc
12-23-09, 18:47
I'm really surprised how much I like to shoot my G26. I never thought I'd like it as much as a 17 or 19.

Me too man. I didn't think I would like it very much when I bought it for summer carry. However, I liked the damn thing so much I carry it all the time.

wicked_police
12-23-09, 21:42
All this talk about the G26 is really making me regret selling mine...

:(

Guess I'll just have to find another one!

bgoode
12-25-09, 15:34
Since I liked carrying my G26 in the summer months I chose to make things ore uniform and go all glock all the time. Just makes since and easier on life :)

Enjoying the thread.

skipper49
12-25-09, 16:24
I bought two G19's and a 26 about the same time a few months back. The 26 has become my favorite carry gun. It has moved my Kahr P-40 from it's longtime status as everyday carry favorite.
Two things that I did that most of you really hate, is install the NY-1 trigger spring with the stock 5.5 connector, and I really like the plus-0, Pearce grip extension. I use it as well as the flat floor plate, depending on usage. The 3rd Gen. frame with finger grooves also suit me to a "T".
I'll be following this thread with great interest.

Skip

NCPatrolAR
12-25-09, 22:35
normally I might agree with this, but with glocks there is so much proven, long term, aftermarket stuff available, I think that you can go with one of the proven manufacturers and be fine...

i run a ghost connector and NY1 spring in all my glocks....several thousand of rounds through them with no issues whatsoever (including pushing 10k in one gun with that set up)

i really, really like that setup....

as an homage, after reading this thread a week ago, i put my normal EDC (G17) in the safe and pulled out the G26 and have been carrying it ever since

I've been running LWD (-) connectors in my guns for years with no issue. I think they have more than proven their worth and they were much easier to get than OEM parts.

I was running the (-)/NY1 setup for several years, but decided to go back to the (-)/5# spring and am enjoying it much more. I didnt care for the stiffer pull and reset of the NY1 spring.

M4arc
12-26-09, 07:05
I've been running LWD (-) connectors in my guns for years with no issue. I think they have more than proven their worth and they were much easier to get than OEM parts.

I was running the (-)/NY1 setup for several years, but decided to go back to the (-)/5# spring and am enjoying it much more. I didnt care for the stiffer pull and reset of the NY1 spring.

I have a LWD (-) connector as well and it is nice. I didn't run it for a long time but I'll take your word for it that long term reliability is there.

Just an FYI for those looking for Glock OEM connectors, smittywee on ebay still sells them and is only asking $15 that's half the price than most places.

jb7304
12-26-09, 08:54
I just picked up a new G26 and I'm looking forward to shooting it. I got a great deal on it at Cabela's.

TEXAS_GLOCKER
12-26-09, 10:08
I just picked up a new G26 and I'm looking forward to shooting it. I got a great deal on it at Cabela's.

do tell...Im looking for a dael on a 26 and Cabelas prices usually suck.

jb7304
12-26-09, 14:30
do tell...Im looking for a dael on a 26 and Cabelas prices usually suck.

The G26 was on sale for $509 and they had a coupon for $100 off $500 or more. So I got the G26 for $409 and had about $20 in Cabelas points. Final price was $389.

ST911
12-26-09, 15:47
The G26 was on sale for $509 and they had a coupon for $100 off $500 or more. So I got the G26 for $409 and had about $20 in Cabelas points. Final price was $389.

Not bad. You got it for LE price.

TEXAS_GLOCKER
12-27-09, 13:51

nice...wish I would get one of those coupons again!

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-27-09, 16:50
200 more rounds down the pipe today. All blazer 115 grain. Zero malfunctions.

The range was crowded today (post Christmas plus good weather) so I wasn't able to do a lot of crazy stuff. I did set up my spinners for some draw and fire practice. I also did some box drills at the end of the day as people cleared out. I shot quite a bit at a 50 yard steel plate.

I focused all my reloads on a 17 round mag I kept in my weak side pocket. I am not going to practice any reloads from mag pouches because I never, ever use one anymore. Again, I also rarely carry a spare mag at all--but when I do it is always loose and in my pocket. I am actually pretty fast with this.

Here is a picture of the gun with the G17 mag.
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2866/web.jpg?ver=12619531740001

My focus this year is going to be on developing a totally practical training regimen. What I do now is primarily what I learned from a few Ken Hackathorn classes (and to a lesser extent Larry Vickers and some other folks). To that end I am not going to use any equipment I wouldn't have on in everyday carry (other than hearing protection). I am also going to practice more with a hand held light and perhaps a little more barrier shooting.

I practiced shooting from behind my truck. I have done this before (always fun to see if you are going to shoot your vehicle!). I really think shooting from behind realistic (non game) barriers is useful if you can make it happen).

I practiced about 20 rounds of weak-hand drills buy tossing the gun in the dirt and picking up the gun for each shot. I picked this up from Hackathorn who recommended this based on his theory that weak handed shooting is usually over-stressed. He says that the only time you are really likely to do it is if you are picking up your side arm after being shot in your strong arm.

The gun is as accurate as the full sized gun. The sights are (luckily) very well regulated and easy to estimate at various ranges. I easily kept bullets on a 50 yard plate (carefull fire but from a draw for each shot). It is also not too much work to hit a large (1 foot) steel plate at 100 yards. I wouldn't want to rely on it in a fire fight--but I could scare the heck out of you!:D

As you can see--my draw and dry fire practice is already beating on the gun's finish.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2869.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12619531700001

I usually set the spinners up at a realistic height (against the clay cliff wall) but a large number of other shooters kept me from doing so. Here is how the spinners look at 30-40 feet.
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2872/web.jpg?ver=12619531720001

Blazer!

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_2865.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12619531670001

forgiven
12-28-09, 00:35
Sorry if I missed this....what holster are you using?

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-28-09, 01:24
Mostly Comp-tac C-tac IWB or a fobus

znztivguy
01-02-10, 09:15
I will be watching closely...this should be interesting. I also own a glock 26 in the family. Love it...would like to know how it fairs. I could only wish to use that much ammo the cost is crazy.

operator81
01-02-10, 14:25
I stupidly sold my G26 when I got the Sig and M&P bug. Those bugs have died and I find myself yearning for my old G26. Giving the LEO pricing, I don't think I can resist any longer. Greg, my wife and pocketbook thank-you for your inspiration ;)

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-03-10, 18:04
300 more rounds down the pipe. 100 rounds of Blazer on Friday. 200 rounds of steel "Monarch" today. No malfunctions.

Today I shot a little more "free form" (i.e. screwing around) than usual. I had some buddies come out and we they wanted to play with some full auto stuff.

I shot about 100 rounds of random shooting at three steel spinners. A mixture of draw, walking, box drills, etc. I shot the next 100 rounds doing my standard drill, in order. I finished out the 100 rounds by putting the pistol on the ground and practicing shooting weak-handed.

On Friday I shot 100 rounds of Blazer with my standard drill plus a little weak-handed practice. I sort of just hand fun shooting weak handed, and switching to strong hand shooting the spinners at 21 feet.

I switched to using my Comp-Tac exclusively. It is one of the open models that allows you to use any length Glock. I noticed that the Fobus I was using was murdering the finish. Not that I care, but there is no reason to purposely kill the finish.

As an aside, my buddies brought a Taurus "Judge" and a .44 Desert Eagle. Neither of these guns is really "my style" but they were both a hoot to shoot. We finished up shooting full auto .22 from an M16 lower. Fun was had by all and I was sad to pack up despite some COLD temperatures out on the range.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_3018/web.jpg?ver=12625624420001

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_3031.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12625624840001

DacoRoman
01-03-10, 22:16
very nice reports

yeah those Fobus paddle holsters have a rivet that is placed right in the proper place to nail the right side of slide (right handed) as you holster and draw..really dumb place to have that damn rivet!

Jay Cunningham
01-03-10, 22:22
I am not going to practice any reloads from mag pouches because I never, ever use one anymore. Again, I also rarely carry a spare mag at all--but when I do it is always loose and in my pocket. I am actually pretty fast with this.

My focus this year is going to be on developing a totally practical training regimen. What I do now is primarily what I learned from a few Ken Hackathorn classes (and to a lesser extent Larry Vickers and some other folks). To that end I am not going to use any equipment I wouldn't have on in everyday carry (other than hearing protection). I am also going to practice more with a hand held light and perhaps a little more barrier shooting.

I practiced shooting from behind my truck. I have done this before (always fun to see if you are going to shoot your vehicle!). I really think shooting from behind realistic (non game) barriers is useful if you can make it happen).

I practiced about 20 rounds of weak-hand drills buy tossing the gun in the dirt and picking up the gun for each shot. I picked this up from Hackathorn who recommended this based on his theory that weak handed shooting is usually over-stressed. He says that the only time you are really likely to do it is if you are picking up your side arm after being shot in your strong arm.

I think that this is fantastic.

dickmadison
01-03-10, 23:05
This is going to be fantastic. I just got a Glock 26 a month ago and love it. Put over 800 rounds through it thus far. Mostly Winchester White Box and a couple boxes of Speer Gold Dot 124gr. It has had excellent performance thus far.

Do any of you recommend a good ankle holster you have had experience with? Much appreciated as I have to go business casual to work everyday and need to find a decent method of concealed carry.

Gunmetal
01-04-10, 00:59
Greg,

thanks for the write-up. I'll be following this thread as well.

FWIW, I noticed you have the old style belt clips for your CTAC. They have a newer version of the clips now, which are smaller (more narrow) and supposedly they are longer-lasting (although my original clips never broke). They're cheap enough to get a set to see if you like them better (I do), check out the Comp-Tac site if you're interested in a potential upgrade.

The new clips look more like "just another belt loop" if your waistband happens to show, and, they're less likely to catch on things.

HTH.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-17-10, 19:29
Well, I had the flu the last few weeks so I have been out of commission. Today I finally felt better so I did a little shooting.

I primarily focused on 25 yard bullseye shooting to begin with. 50 rounds of Federal 9mm then 50 rounds of Monarch Steel. Towards the end I switched to a steel plate at 50-60 yards.

The next 100 rounds was spent doing my standard drills (draw 1,2,3 at 21 feet and 30 feet at spinners). Followed by forwards, backwards, and side to side.

I finished up with barrier shooting and strong hand/weak had drills for a total of 250 rounds.

Nothing too exciting and no pictures today. I was just happy to be out shooting again!:D

I did notice that my shooting degraded somewhat. It is funny how quick your shooting skills can wilt.

No malfunctions.

I also shot my AR a bit. 3 mags of full power stuff was expended shooting at 50 and 200 yards. Then I dropped in the conversion for some 22 fun on the spinners.

During this I practiced transitions with my G17 with AA conversion. I really need to switch to Warren sights on that gun.

A buddy brought his 10mm Glock to the range. As always, the 10 is a hoot to shoot. His was compensated so it was a little blasty--but muchos fun.

556A2
01-24-10, 19:58
This thread really helped me narrow down a companion to my G19 over a M&Pc or a .380 pocket pistol.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-28-10, 19:10
Another boring day at the range. 150 rounds of Blazer. It was raining intermittantly so I pretty much just screwed around and shot at my plates. My buddy Gosa and I shot some at the 200 yard range just to be morons.

Lots of fun.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_3152/web.jpg?ver=12644855280001

Mud hole.
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation#100038/IMG_3157&bgcolor=black

Shane, undoing whatever damage he surely did to his rifle.
http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_3158.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12644855260001

Irish
01-28-10, 19:45
Greg - I haven't read through every page but was wondering if you've had a chance to shoot the M&P compact yet? If so how would you compare it to the G26? I've narrowed my 2 choices down to those and was trying to get a feel for the differences. FWIW I own a G19 and full size M&P but haven't shot either of the minis.

SWATcop556
01-29-10, 01:08
Greg - I haven't read through every page but was wondering if you've had a chance to shoot the M&P compact yet? If so how would you compare it to the G26? I've narrowed my 2 choices down to those and was trying to get a feel for the differences. FWIW I own a G19 and full size M&P but haven't shot either of the minis.

Not Greg but I prefer the G26. It's a little smaller and conceals better for me. And it has a better trigger. The M&P9C that I shot felt like it had a 12lbs trigger.

Irish
01-29-10, 01:09
Not Greg but I prefer the G26. It's a little smaller and conceals better for me. And it has a better trigger. The M&P9C that I shot felt like it had a 12lbs trigger.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to see if I can rent them both this weekend to shoot at the range.

SWATcop556
01-29-10, 01:13
Thanks for your input. I'm going to see if I can rent them both this weekend to shoot at the range.

No sweat. The M&P feels really good but a Glock is like an old friend. :cool:

operator81
01-29-10, 01:51
I have both a G26 and an M&P9c. I shoot the G26 with GAP mag floorplates and it really locks the gun into your hand. With the M&P I have to use the finger extended mags to get a secure grip on the gun, thus making it less concealable. I have much much more time behind the G26 and shoot it much better. Aside from that, I prefer it over the M&P as I can obtain a firmer grip with it in its smallest configuration. The triggers on both are comparable, just depends on which flavor you like. The glock is easier to work on yourself. Both have been equally reliable.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-31-10, 23:31
Hey guys,

200 rounds steel cased monarch
100 rounds WWB
11 rounds Speer Gold Dots (forgot to empty my mag!)

Traveled out of town to a friend's range. Lots of steel plates, etc. Fun fun.

We broke out the timer and did some draw from concealment. I wasn't able to pull off anything special. With a heavy hooded sweatshirt I wasn't able to beat 1.9 without missing an 8 inch plate at 10 yards. Obviously, I need to spend more time with my timer!:rolleyes:

The rest of my stuff was mainly mixtures of my standard stuff. This guy has lots of steel plates, so it is easy to waste ammo just blasting away--which I did!:D

Another friend who was there took some pics, which I will upload tomorrow.

Next week I am off to US training for a 3 day course! So next weekend should be an 800 round treat. :D

The gun is very dry, and very dirty at this point. The Monarch ammo is very nasty. But it works and it is relatively cheap.

M4arc
02-01-10, 06:56
Are you planning on running it at the class next weekend? Awesome! I'm thinking about running mine at the Super Dave class in June.

Robb Jensen
02-01-10, 07:26
My fastest runs on the plates at GSSF matches are with a G26.
Usually in the 3 sec. range with a G17 or G19. I've had a few 2.5 sec. runs with the G26.

Suburban
02-02-10, 12:29
Re: Glock vs. M&P

I've got an M&P Pro, and several Glocks. The Pro model has a much better trigger than the standard M&P, and I still don't think it's as good as a basic DIY polished Glock trigger, although I must admit that I've put over 10,000 rounds through various Glocks, and only 500 or so through a couple of M&Ps. Familiarity may be a factor.

M&P sights are better though.

M4arc
02-02-10, 12:54

I compared the M&P9c with the G26 several years back, shortly after the M&P hit the streets and in the end I went with the G26 for the following reasons:

1. Not as much aftermarket/accessory support. This has gotten much better since then. Holsters, CT grips, spare parts, etc. are readily available for the compact now.

2. The M&P9c was longer, wider and taller than the G26. It's in between the G19 and G26 in size. Since I already owned a G19 and was looking for something smaller, for summer carry, I figured the G26 would give me that benefit over the M&P9c.

3. Familiarity. Since I usually carry a G19 I figured the G26 would offer me the familiarity when transitioning between the two. Grips, controls, trigger are all the same. Most of my spare parts will work in the G26 and even my G19 holsters will work.

4. Inconsistancy of the M&P triggers. At the time I owned a full size M&P and possibly could have tansistioned over but for the life of me I couldn't fine a trigger pull that was even remotely close to my full size. They were like night and day and my full size was bone stock. With the APEX sears or even the performance sears this can be fixed now but I couldn't understand how S&W had such huge swings in trigger pulls. I still don't but for $30 for an APEX sear it doesn't matter any more.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-07-10, 16:49
I arrived at the range to a pleasant surprise. Despite being a beautiful day, there were very few people there. Thank God for the superbowl.

Of course, the one guy who did show up set up about every possible gizmo and target on the range I prefer. So I had to set up on the pistol range, which is less flexible. I took my timer to tune up my draw from concealment time. I was able to shave it down to the 1. 6-1.7 range, but I still need to speed up. The good news is, my groups remained good.

I shot 250 rounds of Winchester 115 grain. I have a ton of reloads I traded my buddy Shane for but I brought the wrong ammo can. Fortunately, I had the WWB in my shooting bad and in mags I had loaded up for a class that I was unable to attend.

I did my usual drills at 21 and 30 feet. I also mixed in some barrier shooting. And since I was shooting larger targets today I took the opportunity to speed up my shooting on the move. I was able to walk at a pretty fast clip and still keep decently on the target.

I also used the opportunity to practice more barrier shooting. Practicing coming out at different angles and making sure to move behind cover for reloads.

I have, for what its worth, improved my speed weak handed. I haven't improved my accuracy much though. But I don't spend a lot of time on weak handed stuff.

As always, I reload from my pocket, not a mag carrier.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-28-10, 23:10
Just a brief update. I have shot an additional 550 rounds through the G26. 400 of those rounds were extremely poor reloads (and extremely cheap). 4 malfunctions resulted from the use of these rounds. 2 were failure to go into battery (attempts to recycle the ammo through the gun failed, the cartridge length was too long). 2 were failures to extract on rounds that felt like squibs. I am not counting these malfunctions because I took my P7 out last weekend with the same ammo and got a similar failure to go into battery.

150 rounds of blazer aluminum on top of this resulted in no malfunctions. I still haven't cleaned or oiled the gun.

I also started using Surefire's timer app for my iphone. I needed to set the sensitivity to 100 percent but it worked fairly well. I will be retiring my pact timer for most duties.

http://gallery.me.com/timetravelfoundation/100038/IMG_3314/web.jpg?ver=12674199080001

JHC
03-02-10, 18:21
My fastest runs on the plates at GSSF matches are with a G26.
Usually in the 3 sec. range with a G17 or G19. I've had a few 2.5 sec. runs with the G26.

That is just sick. I shot a 3.38 sec rack last Summer at a GSSF and could NOT remember the shots breaking afterward and thought THAT was fast.
That is just sick! :D [oh, with a G17 btw)

JHC
03-02-10, 18:25
Greg, good stuff. Thanks. You will NEVER need to clean it. And you will NEVER need to lube it. Ridiculous when you think about it. LOL

jp0319
03-06-10, 02:26
I have a Glock 26 on layaway, and I cannot wait till I get home to get it and the 19 out, and go shoot. I have 1000rds of 124gr FMJ waiting on them. On the NY trigger, I purchased the NY1 trigger and a fresh 3.5lb connector to "try" the combo and see how it feels. I plan on doing a complete trigger job on both anyway standard stuff polishing all contact surfaces etc, and rounding the safety plunger, I want to see what the NY1/3.5 combo feels like, if its good I may do this in the 19 and the 26. I usually do the polishing and switch to a 3.5, but my thinking is the NY1/3.5 would be better to have if I had to defend myself, and go to court. At least better than the sub 3lb pull I have in my 35.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-14-10, 23:12
Shot 200 rounds of blazer and 75 rounds of CRAP reloads in the last two weeks. Still running well. Using my Comp-tac IWB lately.

f.2
03-15-10, 00:27
Love my 26. Cold Bore Custom has my frame for a grip reduction.

eta pics

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2018/g26rightv.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g26rightv.jpg)http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5791/g26rightrear.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g26rightrear.jpg)http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2567/g26leftfront.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g26leftfront.jpg)http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3973/g26left.th.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g26left.jpg)

nfranco
03-26-10, 22:32
This thread has cost me money,
http://nfranco.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/KTM-640-stuff-for-sale/IMG2765/820333872_fiKbh-M.jpg
Not that I'm complaining.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-26-10, 23:59
NICE! Hopefully I will get to shoot mine at the Hackathorn class today.

dialM4murder
03-27-10, 20:21
Me too..

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_aHHKanqrkY0/S5V0udX9hSI/AAAAAAAAApc/lIL_eQlod3o/s800/baby.jpg
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_aHHKanqrkY0/S5iAcfYjmUI/AAAAAAAAAqI/7GkWwj3l70s/s800/IMG00832-20100311-0031.jpg

nfranco
03-29-10, 17:14
NICE! Hopefully I will get to shoot mine at the Hackathorn class today.

How'd it go?

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-11-10, 19:46
I shot my HK45 Compact! Sorry, but it seemed appropriate since he was involved in its development. We shot no more than 50 rounds so it wouldn't have been much of an update.

I have put an addition 350 rounds through the gun. All Blazer Aluminum. No malfunctions. Just a good old boring-ass gun!:D

Robb Jensen
04-11-10, 20:04
That is just sick. I shot a 3.38 sec rack last Summer at a GSSF and could NOT remember the shots breaking afterward and thought THAT was fast.
That is just sick! :D [oh, with a G17 btw)

JHC you're doing damn good. Let the sights be your gas pedal brother. When both the front and rear are on the plate (even half ass center mass) pull the trigger. Let go......I repeat Let go. Act as if there's a fiber optic wire between your eyes and dropping the plates. When all you can remember is the sight pictures you're really there. You should feel out of control when getting the plate rack under 3.5sec, if not you're not pushing yourself hard enough.

My mentor Phil Strader has done the plates in 2.0-2.2sec......don't give up bro he's human too!

jhs1969
04-11-10, 22:56
I picked up a new G26 yesterday at the local fun show. It is the second G26 I've owned. I've been carrying a G19 for a while now. I sold my Smith 637 to fund this G26, I wanted something small for summer carry but with more power and firepower than the snub.

Put 100rds through it as soon as I got home and punched the bore and added some TW25B. Accurate, reliable, Glock. What's not to love:cool:

nfranco
04-11-10, 23:57
I shot my HK45 Compact! Sorry, but it seemed appropriate since he was involved in its development. We shot no more than 50 rounds so it wouldn't have been much of an update.

I have put an addition 350 rounds through the gun. All Blazer Aluminum. No malfunctions. Just a good old boring-ass gun!:D

Make sense.

So far I've only been able to get 650 rounds through it, what a great little pistol!
I had always been a 1911 guy , turned my nose up at the Glock when it first showed up, but after 20+ years of the Colt I decided to look around for something different.
That's when I found this thread.
It was a bit disconcerting at first not to have that positive click of the safety and be able to have a thumb on the hammer when holstering.
It points better than I remember the full size doing.
Next up sights and waiting for the Shaggy, although the Minotaur is nice for a 4 o'clock carry.
Thanks everyone.

palmbeach31
04-12-10, 10:15
I picked up a new G26 yesterday at the local fun show. It is the second G26 I've owned. I've been carrying a G19 for a while now. I sold my Smith 637 to fund this G26, I wanted something small for summer carry but with more power and firepower than the snub.

Put 100rds through it as soon as I got home and punched the bore and added some TW25B. Accurate, reliable, Glock. What's not to love:cool:

What was the price at the gun show?

jhs1969
04-12-10, 23:27
What was the price at the gun show?

I picked this one up for $519. It was not the best price availabe, that was $499, but the dealer installed a factory Glock +2 floor plate on one mag and had included a third mag in the box (3 mags total). So I decided to spend the extra $ for the extras with this paticular 26.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-18-10, 19:05
An additional 200 rounds of 9mm Blazer down the pipe.

1. 50 rounds Mozambiques (just for fun) at 30 feet.
2. 100 rounds of various Hackathorn drills (walk forward/backwards, el pres, side to side).
3. 50 rounds of strong/weak hand and practicing clearing barriers and returning behind the barrier after the shot.

I have improved my speed by basically pretending my front sight is an Aimpoint dot. If I see the dot over the target, I fire). For some reason it is helpful for me to think of the front sight this way (my guns have no rear dots for those who have been following along).

The Glock continues to work without any additional cleaning (no surprise). I have come to the following conclusions:

1. I am going to shoot the cheapest crap ammo I can without reloading. That means I will be shooting steel cased from here on out. Frankly, I don't see the point in doing otherwise. If I eat up a barrel or extractor then so be it.

2. I will not clean the gun. Why bother? Until I get some sort of hint from the gun that there is a problem I will let it go. I will continue to lube it from time to time.

3. Basically, all you need is a Glock.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-24-10, 12:41
200 more rounds of "Monarch" steel cased 115 grain stinky ammo.
0 malfunctions

Passed the 3000 round mark. No cleaning. Runs fine with no detectable drag, etc.

Did 50 rounds of draw shoot three spinners, reload, shoot the spinners agains at 21 feet and 30 feet.

Did 50 rounds of shooting on the move drills, including a series of box drills incorporating multiple reloads.

Did 50 rounds of strong and weak hand drills.

Did 50 rounds of transitions and barrier practice.

As always, the gun funtioned well. As always, the Warren sights are very fast.

Jay Cunningham
04-24-10, 12:44
I have heard that this is unpossible. Don't you know that G-Locks are an inherently flawed design??

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-24-10, 12:45
I keep a supply of extra strikers on hand...oh wait, that is another flawed design.:D

Jay Cunningham
04-24-10, 12:50
Make sure you have extra sears as well...

JHC
04-24-10, 18:22
LOL diggin' this. 3K rounds, no cleaning, minimal lube. They just go and go.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-25-10, 19:16
By then end of the year, I may only have this Glock 26. I am selling off a huge chunk of my collection to finance a business opportunity. And the more I think about it, the more I think the only gun I need is a CCW gun (I am an attorney, not LEO or military). I go back and forth between this and my Scandium J frame. The G26 is basically superior in all but three ways: (1) weight, (2) the J frame is easily pocket carried, (3) the J frame has a usable laser solution.

Jay Cunningham
04-25-10, 19:38
By then end of the year, I may only have this Glock 26. I am selling off a huge chunk of my collection to finance a business opportunity. And the more I think about it, the more I think the only gun I need is a CCW gun (I am an attorney, not LEO or military). I go back and forth between this and my Scandium J frame. The G26 is basically superior in all but three ways: (1) weight, (2) the J frame is easily pocket carried, (3) the J frame has a usable laser solution.

I think your reasoning is quite sound.

Ed L.
04-25-10, 19:50
I understand the need to raise money, but if I were in your situation, Greg, I would not go below one pocket carry type handgun and one sidearm sized handgun. This would mean, in your case, one GlocK 17 or 19 and one J frame. I would want to have duplicates of sorts, but I understand that may not be financially feasible.

Are you also going to cut down on your shooting practice and attending training classes to save money?

JHC
04-25-10, 19:52
+1

Conventional wisdom so often repeats not to go too small but I counsel friends that if in doubt, then go small enough you always have it. This is the only Glock 9mm I've never owned although I had a G27 until I converted to all 9mm. Dang.

OTOH, Greg, as one who knows there's a fortune to be had starting a business . . . I know because I left one there . . . don't liquidate down to one or two. It isn't going to raise enough $$$ to make that big a diff. Keep a good rifle (if you got any), a .22, and 3 or 4 pistols. Rant off.

Agile53
04-25-10, 20:47
Some VERY good wisdom above, especailly JHC & agree w/ THE _Katar.

Best of luck to you Greg, know you'll do well.

SeaSoldier
05-15-10, 19:57
I picked up my first G26 today. I have been carrying and training with a G19 for may years now and had always guffawed the G26. I stumbled into a NIB older G26 in a trade. The pistol has the 3 pin design and a slick front strap. Along with the pistol came an older Pearce mag extension that gives pinky support but no additional capacity. I had a set of Heinie Ledge Quick night sights in the parts drawer and installed them before going to the range. The pistol proved to be quite accurate with the usual reliability Glock is known for. I won't be getting rid of any of my G19's but this may move into the carry battery very soon. I guess I have been missing out.

DocCasualty
05-15-10, 22:00
Great thread, great concept!

I'm guessing I've had my G26 for 5+ years now. I bought it almost on a whim. One of the nurses I work with's then fiance who is an LEO was going to get a G27 for a BUG. I started looking at them and as I have other 9mms and load for them, I decided I didn't want to add another caliber and didn't really want a snappier round in a sub-compact. What a great little gun, especially as I bought it without ever firing one!

I don't find it any more accurate with a finger extension, though I do have one on my back-up mag. The extension seems to defeat the purpose for concealment purposes anyway. It's a great CCW pistol, accurate, easy as sin to maintain and as somebody else already noted, a great combo of size, capacity, etc. Don't think I've ever had any kind of failure with it at the range.

I've kind of wondered why it is so easy/accurate to shoot with only two fingers on the grip but some of theories I read here make sense.

DacoRoman
05-15-10, 22:14
Greg, thanks for the community service in doing this test.

I've lately stuck with the G19, but this thread has made me want to add a G26..or two..

Guys, what are the best pinkie extensions for the G26? I remember seeing a skeletalized one that looked pretty interesting.

INMIline
05-15-10, 22:33
If I could only own one handgun. It would be a 26

DocCasualty
05-15-10, 22:46
If I could only own one handgun. It would be a 26

One handgun? The horror!! LOL

I'd have to concur, as it's the most all around usable one I own. The only thing I "need" to do is get some night sights.

Ian111
05-16-10, 02:41
Good luck with your new business venture. I know how tough it can be. But like others have said I can't imagine how selling all your handguns except two will make that much of a difference. Keep at least one more handy. Another G26 since you'll be dialed into it already.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-16-10, 09:33
Hey guys,

Yeah, I am keeping the G26. I have pumped some extra rounds through it and will shoot it more today. I plan on keeping this handgun and it may be my only handgun (other than my HK P7M8, which was my first gun).

I just ordered 1000 rounds of brown bear 9mm. Next month should be ugly!

SeaSoldier
05-16-10, 09:45
Thanks Greg Bell, I don't think I would have ever tried the G26 if not for this thread. Good luck with your business adventure and God Bless.

M4arc
05-16-10, 09:52
I may, however eventually dump the G26 for a my G19. The only reason I might do so is because I can attach a light to the G19 for bedside duty. On the other hand, I might just keep both. I really want to boil it down to one gun, but the G19 just doesn't carry as well as the G26 (despite the insistence of the G19 crowd). The short butt of the G26 disapears under my untucked t-shirt. The G19 is better than the G17, but only a little. Ugh the choices.

As much as I love my G26 (carrying it right now) and as easy as it is to conceal if I had to choose one and only one it would be my G19. Yes, it doesn't carry as well but it is more versatile. As you mentioned you can attach a light and use it for the bump in the night gun. Or take a class with it but still CCW it in almost all situations.

Yesterday I carried my G26 from 7AM-10:30PM wearing only shorts and an untucked t-shirt so I’m on the same page but the versatility of the G19 is worth the trade off on concealability. I probably wouldn’t have been as comfortable if I had to do the same with my G19 but I’d make due if I had to.

PaulL
05-16-10, 12:53
Yesterday I carried my G26 from 7AM-10:30PM wearing only shorts and an untucked t-shirt...

What holster are you carrying in, just out of curiousity?

CoryCop25
05-16-10, 13:01
Greg, thanks for the community service in doing this test.

I've lately stuck with the G19, but this thread has made me want to add a G26..or two..

Guys, what are the best pinkie extensions for the G26? I remember seeing a skeletalized one that looked pretty interesting.

The most comfortable ones, IMHO, are the Glock + extensions. They add 3 rounds to the 9MM and 2 to the 40s. The next are the Pierce extensions.

Palmguy
05-16-10, 14:01
The Glock + extensions I've had have only added 2 rounds in 9mm...

M4arc
05-16-10, 14:19
What holster are you carrying in, just out of curiousity?

CCC Looper.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-16-10, 16:15
M4arc,

details later but I ran my timer today and I am a solid .2 sec faster from concealment with the g19. I am convinced it is strictly a matter of getting a proper grip--which is a bit more of a chore with the g26.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-16-10, 18:54
Hey guys,

I shot 175 more rounds through the G26 today. 100 rounds WWB and 75 rounds American Eagle. All ran perfectly as always.

I did some interesting (to me) tests comparing my time to draw from concealment (t-shirt pulled over my gun). The drill is at 21 feet and I am shooting a steel disk about the size of a CD. It takes me right around 1.9 seconds with the G26. My G19 takes just over 1.6 seconds on average. (Obviously, I am no Todd G). Hey, these are small targets!:D

Anyway, I know that isn't a huge difference, but the grip on the G26 clearly takes more time to grip properly. However, I noticed I actually am more likely to flat miss with the G19. I suspect that is because I am "cheating" and shooting a little more sloppily with the G19 vs the G26. In any case, both guns are good to go for "minute of jackass" shooting at speed.

Oh, and for some reason I thought it would be fun to shoot my old IPod during one of the drills.

http://gallery.me.com/ghblaw/100010/IMG_4674/web.jpg?ver=12740535160001

M4arc
05-16-10, 19:08
M4arc,

details later but I ran my timer today and I am a solid .2 sec faster from concealment with the g19. I am convinced it is strictly a matter of getting a proper grip--which is a bit more of a chore with the g26.

Next weekend I'll try and get a timer on both my G19 and G26. I suspect that I'll be faster with my G19 but slightly more accurate with my G26 as well.

Oh, and for some reason I thought it would be fun to shoot my old IPod during one of the drills.

http://gallery.me.com/ghblaw/100010/IMG_4674/web.jpg?ver=12740535160001

Best picture ever! :D

HK45
05-16-10, 21:58
3. Basically, all you need is a Glock.

I would add a Glock in 9mm.
It only took me 33 years of issued and owned 1911's, personal Sigs, CZ's, S&W, Glocks, HK, and god knows what else to come to the same conclusion. Yup, I'm a fast learner. ;)

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-16-10, 22:08
I agree. In 45, the HK45 is all you need.

nfranco
05-18-10, 11:42
1250 rounds, mostly Win white box with some PMC and RWS (124gr.) thrown in and a quick mag of Win PDX1 just to check POI. No failures.
Did the smooth trigger with a - connector and NY 1 spring, I like the smooth trigger and am trying to get used to the new pull.
Added the Warren two dots and am liking them so far, I have scraped myself a couple of times when drawing from the Comp-Tac Minotaur, lesson quickly learned.

HK45
05-18-10, 11:53
The Warrens and smooth trigger are the way to go. Love the Warrens. I've tried the - and NY 1 and didn't care for it. Probably because it is revolver like and I don't like revolvers. I would like a little smoother trigger on my Gen 4 G 17's as after 150 rds or so the stock trigger gets a little old and there is a minor amount of creep. But I don't want any of the super cool tactical gun game Glock triggers like Ghost etc..only want to use Glock parts. What do you mean you scraped yourself on the Minotaur?

HK45
05-18-10, 11:55
I agree. In 45, the HK45 is all you need.

Even though I quite often feel the yen for a nice 1911 I think the HK 45 is a far better choice if you are shooting .45. Much less breakage and maintenance needed. Super accurate and reliable.

nfranco
05-18-10, 12:17
HK45, the rear edge of the rear sight grabbed me when drawing from the 4 o'clock position, no fault of the holster.

Fire_Medic
05-18-10, 12:21
M4arc,

Maybe a set of these will help, they have helped me grab hold of my recently purchased G26:

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/advantage.html

Helps with grip, yet you maintain the low profile and concealment of the flat bottom base plate.

Just my $0.02

Drew78
05-18-10, 19:40
I will second Firemedics recomendation of the GAP floorplates. I have a set for my 26 and they absoutly help me aquire a more consistent grip from the holster. Highly suggest trying them out.

Aside from all that- I took the 26 to the range and was grouping head shots on a B27 at 50 feet. I have been shooting the shit out of this thing about once a week for the last 2 years and am still amazed at how well this little bugger shoots AND carries!

-Drew

3CTactical
05-18-10, 23:54
Maybe a set of these will help, they have helped me grab hold of my recently purchased G26:

http://www.concealablecontrol.com/advantage.html

Helps with grip, yet you maintain the low profile and concealment of the flat bottom base plate.

Just my $0.02

I've been using these on my G26 and G27 for the last two years and have really liked how they help me to get a better grip on the gun as well as maintain that grip while shooting, although I think a stippling job would do as well for me as far maintaining the grip during firing. I like how these base plates are angled to a point as they don't print like a Pearce or a Glock + extension will. Besides, if you're going to use an extension you might as well go up to a G-19.

Ridge_Runner_5
05-19-10, 10:56
Took my G26 to the range yesterday, and put 200rds through it...ran great, but had a few feeding issues. I think it was the mags I was using, though:p

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/Shooting/DSC_0005.jpg

Drew78
05-19-10, 12:21
Is that a Tucker silent thunder holster? Also, do you have a plus 2 on that happy stick? If so, possible reason for feeding issue?

-Drew

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-23-10, 19:49
200 rounds of Brown Bear. Cheap and good. It ain't pretty but it kept the plates spinning.

I am completely done with reloading pistol. Until the next panic, I am just going to shoot the cheapest crap I can find.

PlatoCATM
05-23-10, 20:15
Do you shoot your 26 from concealment (IWB, OWB?)? If so, do you have any difficulty with accessing it and acquiring a solid grip? I imagine it will take a little getting used to for me, but I haven't been able to try one out.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-23-10, 20:18
All my draws are from concealment--every one of them. And yes, the G26 is more difficult to grip in my experience. It ads .1-.2 sec to my draws. In fact, I can draw my G19 from concealment with my back to the target and fire and hit in almost the exact same time it takes me to get a really good grip on my 26. It is something to consider.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-30-10, 23:30
200 more rounds today. 150 rounds Brown Bear, 50 rounds lawman. No malfunctions or other issues. I was definitely shooting well today.

I was toying with the idea of only shooting once per month. To hell with that. Shooting is too much fun.

I have been using a Blade-Tech Nano lately. It is a very thin IWB holster. It is really nice but they should consider letting the gun sit a little lower in the waistband. I am running a comp-tac clip on mag carrier. I used to draw all my mags from my pocket, but I have been toying with the mag carrier a little bit more. My rationale is that the only time I carry a spare mag is at the range, so why not?

awm14hp
05-31-10, 07:02
Greg with all the shooting you have done you never had a Mag blow a baseplate or shit the bed on you? I have done alot of action shooting and seen mags from about every one have an issue at some point. That being one of the main reasons I carry a spare mag not so much for all that ammo but in case the mag craps out on me?

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-31-10, 10:42
Nope. I even had a kaboom in one of my 1911s and the mag held. I did have a baseplate on my old p2000 come loose after being dropped on concrete about a million times--but it held on and functioned fine.

I have had 1911 mags wear out. But I have been running the same two mags in my p7m8 since 1992!:eek:

awm14hp
05-31-10, 17:09
Nope. I even had a kaboom in one of my 1911s and the mag held. I did have a baseplate on my old p2000 come loose after being dropped on concrete about a million times--but it held on and functioned fine.

I have had 1911 mags wear out. But I have been running the same two mags in my p7m8 since 1992!:eek:

Wow that just shows you some times you train for shit that could happen 100 times one place and never others. I been toating my G26 alot as of late. I did miss her she does a hell of a job.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-31-10, 17:41
Absolutely. I am sure my mags will disintegrate next week now that I have said this.

TRD
06-02-10, 17:30
I did a bit of shopping over the weekend looking for a G26.

In short, one local major retailer had one for $550. The funstore where I usually go didn't have any. The major retailer had another store about 2 hours away and they didn't have any either.

Made a few phone calls to smaller outlets - all out of stock.

I have looked online for these as well and a lot of places are out or either backordered for a while.

What's the deal?!

PaulL
06-02-10, 18:28
I see them here in Houston at the shows for $450 pretty regularly. There were even a couple of OD frames last time at the same price. AJC Sports Shop always keeps a TON of Glocks in stock.

Fire_Medic
06-02-10, 19:45

In short, one local major retailer had one for $550. The funstore where I usually go didn't have any. The major retailer had another store about 2 hours away and they didn't have any either.

I have looked online for these as well and a lot of places are out or either backordered for a while.

What's the deal?!

Buy mine :D

TheLefty
06-02-10, 21:31

What's the deal?!

Man, that sucks! Are there any police suppliers in your area? I picked up a 26 at the end of April from my local police supply store using my GSSF membership, and the total with tax was about $430.

TRD
06-02-10, 22:00
Man, that sucks! Are there any police suppliers in your area? I picked up a 26 at the end of April from my local police supply store using my GSSF membership, and the total with tax was about $430.

I'm not entirely sure but I think the nearest store that does pricing for LE is about 4 hours away...

Crow Hunter
06-03-10, 13:15
You can get a G26 for $459 non LE/GSSF if you look.

A local store (Union City, TN) has G26's for $459 on Gunbroker buy it now price.

I purchased a G19 with factory Trijicons and 3 mags for $529 a couple of weeks ago. (plus tax)

If you are interested search for Tooties on Gunbroker.

Very good guys to deal with.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-06-10, 19:25
Long day at the range today. 300 rounds (250 Brown bear, 50 rounds lawman). Got there early and stayed late. I also ran 180 rounds through the old AR.

I have boiled my shooting down to practice with the Glock and the AR. I have sold all my shotguns, bolt rifles, AKs, 1911s, my lever gun, etc. I really feel that I will be better off focusing on my carry gun and my rifle. There are at least two reasons for this: (1) it is likely that focusing on one weapon will increase your proficiency, muscle memory, etc, (2) tinkering with different guns constantly borders on mental illness/OCD. I understand there is nothing wrong with having a hobby, but constantly tinkering and obsessing over "the next gun" is just nuts. And it isn't as simple as "Oh, this next gun will make me a better shooter." That, while wrong, would make sense. In reality, the constant switching of guns, for me at least, was a sign of that consumer culture compulsion that the next doo-dad will make you happy.

It does, by the way. I always enjoy finding a new interesting gun and wringing it out. But the fun has been wearing off because I have basically owned and shot the crap out of every interesting gun out there.

Anyway, babbling aside, the Glock 26 is an excellent pistol. I am rotating it with my Glock 19 in carry duties. I have a bladetech Nano holster that I carry it in, but I am using the G19 holster for both. The G26 Nano is too short and high in the waistband to be useful. I recommend avoiding it. The extra length of the G19 holster makes it much more stable.

My drills now consist of...

1. 21 and 30 foot draws on a timer. Shooting one, two and three shots per string at steel spinners.
2. Same while moving front and back.
3. Same while moving side to side.
4. Weak hand and strong hand drills.
5. Transitions with carbine.
6. Barrier practice
7. 25 and 50 yard steel/bullseye.

HK45
06-06-10, 19:56
Great stuff Greg. Frankly it's been more interesting than I thought it would be at the beginning. Keep it up!

Ed L.
06-06-10, 22:34
I'm glad to hear that you hung on to you Glock 19.

What is your go to gun for home defense?

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-06-10, 23:43
G19 with x200

PaulL
06-07-10, 09:25
Greg, you're doing the same thing I did a few years ago. I was getting tired of chasing "gun rainbows" and had to put a stop to it. I sold everything (10 rifles, 19 handguns) except for a Glock 19. I'll probably be getting a 26 soon for the wife to carry, and at some point will build ONE (and only one this time) rifle for myself.

I sometimes regret selling some of the old stuff, but it passes. I'm really happy with the simplicity of my "collection" at this point, and I think you will be too.

Great thread, keep the updates coming! :D

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-13-10, 16:39
150 rounds Brown Bear. No issues. Too damn hot at the range.

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-13-10, 17:08
I have boiled my shooting down to practice with the Glock and the AR. I have sold all my shotguns, bolt rifles, AKs, 1911s, my lever gun, etc. I really feel that I will be better off focusing on my carry gun and my rifle. There are at least two reasons for this: (1) it is likely that focusing on one weapon will increase your proficiency, muscle memory, etc

Greg,

You have MUCH more self control and will power than I :D. I'm not ready to give up all of my other guns =). I definitely agree that it is best to practice and employ one platform, I do 98% of my shooting with some expression of a Glock 9mm, though I do enjoy owning my other guns.

When I read about the newest & bestest 1911 in the gun magazine section of the supermarket, that will make me the ability to shoot it like a phaser super blaster I just feel the urge to hold a 1911...But fortunately I have developed a coping technique... I just open my safe, grab my 1911, do some dry fire draws and reloads and realize that I still do everything better with my Glocks lol:D

Hopefully one day I'll have my culminating moment of self realization lol. Anyhow, I've enjoyed following your progress in wring out your 26, I've got one as well.

Best,
GU

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-20-10, 22:12
150 rounds of BB. Hot as hades at the range. I did some timed runs at 21 feet. I can't seem to break through into the 1.5 with the G26. Splits are in the mid .2s now.

I am dumping the blade tech nano holsters. They are nicely constructed and thin, but they sit too high. I am going back to my Comp-Tac. I wish Comp-tac would make a thinner holster.

Apollo11
06-20-10, 23:14
I am going back to my Comp-Tac. I wish Comp-tac would make a thinner holster.

Which Comp-Tac are you using? Great info, thanks for keeping us updated.

l8apex
06-21-10, 01:13
Excellent thread. I should have kept good a record of the rounds I put down range with my G26. I'm at +-3000 w/o any malfs or breakages and minimal cleaning. It's my go to Glock. Thinking of downsizing my safe queens as well.

Here is a pic of mine with my old HKP2000SK.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj283/l8apex/G26%20vs%20HKP2000SK/DSCF3503.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj283/l8apex/G26%20vs%20HKP2000SK/DSCF3507.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj283/l8apex/G26%20vs%20HKP2000SK/DSCF3518.jpg

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-21-10, 12:35
I am using an old C-Tac slide IWB. It allows me to carry my G19 and G26 in the same holster. These days I don't fool with the G19 much, as it is relegated to house duty.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-27-10, 20:49
Only shot 100 rounds today. It was just too damn hot to enjoy shooting. I plinked with my AR as usual and had some fun with the old G3.

No malfunctions. Glocks may be "the only guns that come out of the box with zero pride of ownership" but they run perfectly.

http://gallery.me.com/ghblaw/100010/IMG_0078/web.jpg?ver=12776897240001

M4arc
06-28-10, 08:56
I always look forward to your updates. It's one of the few threads I subscribe to. How many total rounds do you have through it now?

For as often as I carry my G26 I really need to shoot it more. Especially now, during the summer, I carry it almost daily but still shoot my G19 almost exclusively. (yes, I know...I know) :o

nfranco
06-28-10, 09:41
Greg keeps a running total in the upper left corner of most posts, always makes me feel like a slacker for not taking mine out more.

GermanSynergy
06-28-10, 10:05
I need to pick up on OD G-26. Your thread isn't making it any easier to put off buying one! :D :D

Beat Trash
06-28-10, 10:07
For as often as I carry my G26 I really need to shoot it more. Especially now, during the summer, I carry it almost daily but still shoot my G19 almost exclusively. (yes, I know...I know) :o

This describes my Glock 26 perfectly. It comes out in the summer time much more often, yet doesn't get it's fair share of range time.

RAM Engineer
06-28-10, 10:30
This thread just motivated me to replace the G26 I had that was stolen back in 2002. I used to carry it AND compete in IDPA with it.

M4arc
06-28-10, 11:28
Greg keeps a running total in the upper left corner of most posts, always makes me feel like a slacker for not taking mine out more.

Ah, I see that now! Thank you :)

This thread just motivated me to replace the G26 I had that was stolen back in 2002. I used to carry it AND compete in IDPA with it.

<evil laugh>

These threads do have a way of making us spend money, don't they?

RAM Engineer
06-28-10, 13:33
These threads do have a way of making us spend money, don't they?

And just in time for my G19 Shaggy to show up. If it works ok, I'll definitely be getting a G26 version to cut some weight and bulk. Not to mention that I had THREE sets of Glock sights show up this week: Ameriglo Hackathorn, Ameriglo Operator, Dawson Precision Adjustable (black back, FO front). Those all go on other Glocks, but the "winner" will probably go on the G26 as well.

Next steps:

1. Compare the weight between a Wilderness Ti Buckle instructor belt vs double layer leather belt. Use the lighter of the two if holster fit is not an issue. (Galco "Liger-style" belt is not working out so good.)
2. Replace SF G2 with something smaller and lighter.
3. Drop to ONE spare mag. Not sure WHICH Glock mag it'll be yet. Probably a +2 G17 one.
4. Replace heavy Benchmade CQC-7 Emerson with lighter Spyderco Delica Wave.
5. Enjoy reduced back pain. :D

JHC
06-28-10, 19:40
I just bought a G26 for CCW with more restrictive dress codes I'm presently finding myself in and this little pistol rocks. 500 rds of perfection so far. ;)
And it is proving to be more accurate than larger models too. I'm thinking it's the better lockup just as I'm seeing with the Gen 4 17s with the similiar design of recoil springs.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-04-10, 17:24
200 more rounds of Brown Bear down the pipe. The Glock continues to function perfectly. I have completely switched back to the Comp-Tac holster. It isn't perfect, but it will have to do until something better comes along.

DBake
07-05-10, 00:06
200 more rounds of Brown Bear down the pipe. The Glock continues to function perfectly. I have completely switched back to the Comp-Tac holster. It isn't perfect, but it will have to do until something better comes along.

Have you tired a Raven Phantom?

PlatoCATM
07-05-10, 07:00
My G26 finally came in and I picked it up on Friday. I feel much more concealed than I did with carrying a G19. I need to swap out the sights and the mag release, but those will be the only mods. I'm running it in my G19 Looper, but the fit isn't the same as it is with my 19 so I may try something different.

186 rounds through it so far: all 115gr AE except for 31 rounds of 124 +p gold dot. I may add this to the 2000 round challenge, to help me keep track of rounds and keep me shooting this instead of the 19.

QuickStrike
07-05-10, 15:35
Thanks for making this thread!

Made me go and trade my colt 1911 for more practical guns, a g26 and a ruger 22.

Cute lil bugger, shot only 250 rounds through it so far. No probs and the grip does not affect me as much as I thought. Maybe except for when grabbing/drawing...

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-11-10, 16:27
100 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of Brown bear. Two failures to lock back on the same mag. I marked the mag and took it out of circulation. But I had less than 50 rounds to continue testing with the other mags. If it turns out to be a problem I might have to clean the beast.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-26-10, 09:03
100 rounds Monarch (steel)
100 rounds WWB
50 rounds Brown Bear
50 rounds Lawman

The beast soldiers on. No problems this week.

willowofwisp
07-26-10, 09:28
Gregg,

not sure if you mentioned this earlier but do you have a plan or a goal round count for the end of the year?

and are you cleaning the gun at all?

FotoTomas
07-26-10, 14:50
I am enjoying this thread.

I currently have two old style GLOCK 26 pistols both set up the same with night sights, and the G34 slide release lever. I carry them in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster or a Blackhawk Serpa style. They are the pistol I shoot most accuratly after over 35 years of handgun experience. I have won two GLOCK pistols with them in GSSF competition. The G26 is the best thing GLOCK has made ever in my opinion. I love to see others enjoying them and carrying them as well. The G26 is the last gun that will leave my hands after I die and by god I want to be buried with one at least. :)

Keep up the good work Greg and wring her out well.

Drew78
07-26-10, 21:24
Great thread!

My primary EDC is a Glock 26. I too shoot it better than any other handgun I have tried.

10+1 in such a small package, yet easy to draw and shoot one handed.

Mine is beat to s#it from carry and just plain old shooting the crap out of it but, she's a dandy!

-Drew

Mike169
07-26-10, 21:26
I am enjoying this thread.

I currently have two old style GLOCK 26 pistols both set up the same with night sights, and the G34 slide release lever. I carry them in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster or a Blackhawk Serpa style. They are the pistol I shoot most accuratly after over 35 years of handgun experience. I have won two GLOCK pistols with them in GSSF competition. The G26 is the best thing GLOCK has made ever in my opinion. I love to see others enjoying them and carrying them as well. The G26 is the last gun that will leave my hands after I die and by god I want to be buried with one at least. :)

Keep up the good work Greg and wring her out well.

**** me, a zombie with a Glock26.. BBL, time to load some more 223..

CAVDOC
07-27-10, 11:58
please advise- I currently have a G27 and find it somewhat abusive to shoot with full power carry ammo- how much lighter is the recoil on the 26? I shot my 19 side by side with the 27 and the difference between those two seemed HUGE!

Beat Trash
07-27-10, 12:07
please advise- I currently have a G27 and find it somewhat abusive to shoot with full power carry ammo- how much lighter is the recoil on the 26? I shot my 19 side by side with the 27 and the difference between those two seemed HUGE!

Huge...

To give an idea, I find that the recoil difference between the G19 and the G26 so slight that I really need to concentrate to be able to notice a difference.

The recoil difference between the G19 and the G23 is, in my opinion, a lot.

I haven't shot a G26 next to a G27, but I used to own both a G19 and a G23.

Hope this helps some.

JHC
07-27-10, 13:01

Once upon a time I had a G27 and it was my primary ccw and I shot it a lot. 200 rounds in one session left my right hand with tremors like I'd just worked out on the heavy bag. I now have a G26 and its recoil is dramtically less than the G27 - mostly in the impact into the hand.

kjdoski
07-27-10, 16:10
please advise- I currently have a G27 and find it somewhat abusive to shoot with full power carry ammo- how much lighter is the recoil on the 26? I shot my 19 side by side with the 27 and the difference between those two seemed HUGE!CAVDOG - I have a G23 that I carry as a primary for CONUS, a G19 that's my OCONUS and training gun, a G27 to partner with the G23, and a G26 to partner with the G19.

Not long ago, I ran timed accuracy tests with all four, to see if it was worth it to "down gun" to the G19 all the time, in spite of the fact that my agency issues pathetically underpowered JHP in 9mm. Shooting the G23 side-by-side with the G19 revealed only the SLIGHTEST difference in split times, while maintaining the same accuracy (.18 for the 19, .20 for the G23, with all rounds staying on a 5" shoot-n-c at 5 yards). Shooting the G26 and G27 revealed a HUGE difference - I could maintain accuracy with the G26 with splits in the .2-.22 range; to maintain accuracy with the G27 my splits were nearly in the .5 second range. I could make .2-22 second splits with the G27, but only with "shotgun" accuracy - basically hitting the silhouette but that was all I could call.

For me, what sold me to stick with the .40 was the fact that I can run the G23, for all intents and purposes, just as well as the G19. The 26/27s are BUGs only; so I'm willing to live with the reduced control-ability of the G27. If I were carrying a "baby" Glock as a primary defensive pistol, I would, hands down, carry the G26, even given the crappy ammunition I'd be required to carry in it.

Having said all that, in over 2.5 years now, I have never once carried either the G26 or G27 as a primary. I live in the extreme and extended heat and humidity of the Tampa Bay region, and I haven't yet found a time when my dress would allow me to conceal the "baby" Glock, but not the mid-size.

Regards,

Kevin

Palmguy
07-27-10, 16:29

Not much of a difference between the 19 and 26 in my opinion. The 26 is quite tame.

PlatoCATM
08-01-10, 17:29
I picked up my G26 one month ago after about a two month order wait. Since then, I have fired approximately 683 rounds (I can't keep ammo count for the life of me) of various ammo including two mags of Gold Dot 124 gr +P at the beginning, then AE, M882 NATO, CCI, and even some Winchester frangible.

I had one failure to feed around 350 rounds with the M882. Unknown reason why the FTF happened. I actually thought I had short loaded the mag and stopped firing until I bothered to look at the gun. I think I have a training scar and will have to figure out how to correct that.

I have grown accustomed to the stock sights but will likely change them out for some Straight 8s or Warren two-dots to match my G19. I carry it in the same CCC Looper as I do my 19 and it conceals much better in my everyday dress (t-shirts). Until I can convince someone to let me wear hawaiian shirts I will have to carry the 26, but feel just as proficient and more concealed than I do with my 19.

BSHNT2015
08-01-10, 17:39
Here's my G26;

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/gen4%20Glock%2022/LaurensCastle004.jpg

I have Trijicon nightsight on the G26, it's currently my off duty carry, compact, simple and reliable. The G26 is using Winchester +P 127 gr JHP. Good read on the G26.

platoonDaddy
08-01-10, 20:15
I use the point & shoot method with my G26: use the middle finger to squeeze the trigger. Just love this weapon and for sure one great P&S weapon.

platoonDaddy
08-01-10, 20:28
Have you tired a Raven Phantom?

I have a IWB Talon model 2214 leather holster for my G26, wouldn't leave home without it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qllEpOFByxA

PlatoCATM
08-01-10, 21:24
I use the point & shoot method with my G26: use the middle finger to squeeze the trigger. Just love this weapon and for sure one great P&S weapon.

I'm not sure that's really a method. These really are pretty accurate little guns, even with the shitty glock sights.

I forgot to add earlier, other than the GAP floor plates my G26 is completely stock right now., but I will add a vicker's mag release asap.

skyugo
08-02-10, 00:59

the 26 is an absolute joy to shoot with any ammo. :)

skyugo
08-02-10, 00:59

huh... interesting technique. :confused:

Mike169
08-02-10, 14:48
This thread made me sell my M&P and buy a glock 26 :(

http://a.imageshack.us/img338/4269/g19g26.jpg

stifled
08-19-10, 08:29
I own a Glock 17, 19, and 26. I enjoy them all but the 19 is my favorite. It fits my hand perfectly, I can run it fast, etc. I'll be using it as my primary carry gun if my holster ever gets here. The only modifications I've done to it are adding tritium+fiber optic sights, which helped my speed a bit. I also put some gritty grip material on it in a couple places, but had to remove it from the left side of the grip for comfort.

The hump on the 17 is a little large and I have been considering sending it to a shop that re-contours polymer grips. I have it set up as a defense gun with night sights and a Streamlight flashlight. I carry it occasionally in the winter, mainly because it's easier to conceal in the winter and we have a lot more hours of dark so the flashlight is more likely to come in handy.

I use my G26 as either a primary or backup carry gun. It works in a pocket or on my ankle and disappears pretty easily. Once I finally get the IWB holster for my G19, it'll be my dedicated BUG. So I'll have my 19, 26, and 2 17 round reloads.

Thanks for documenting your year with your Glock 26! It's been an interesting read.

Tap & Rack
08-19-10, 09:41

Keep your G27 in action using 9mm. I own a G33 & a G27 and shoot 9mm in both of these guns using the Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel and Glock 9mm magazines.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1003&CAT=241

No internal changes are needed to shoot the conversion barrel other than using the correct size 9mm mags. This way if you want to practice with 9mm and still carry .40SW, just swap the barrels and mags.

Note: You can ''special order'' these barrel w/o their Wolf logo on the top of the barrel ( I prefer them this way ).

T&R

Blinking Dog
08-30-10, 09:09
Like many others, this thread has made me more intrigued by the G26. I had considered a small 380 for pocket carry during these dog days of summer in Dallas...oh the many days of 100+ weather. But I digress. I ruled out the 380 and want to focus on a 9mm option, and the G26 seems like a pretty good option. I have a G19 so same caliber, smaller frame seems to make sense. That is, I know the platform, so going with a Glock over say a Ruger SR9c or similar, seems to make sense (to me anyway...).

However, I bought my G19 as a smaller, lighter alternative to my full size 1911. Now I'm considering a smaller, lighter alternative to my G19...:confused:

Can someone who has both guns post a few pics that show the difference in size, height and length, for a G19 vs G26. To me, grip length difference is the most important, as it is probably the biggest issue with concealed carry (of course, width is too but I'm going to assume unless someone tells me otherwise that the G26 and G19 are the same width). And especially, if you carry a G26 with a mag extension do you end up with a grip length the same as a G19 anyway?

I guess what I'm getting at is, what do I gain from getting a G26 that I don't already have by carrying my G19?

And if you have a moment to weigh in on my other thread, where I've got a couple of options to buy a used G26, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60938

Thanks in advance.

Palmguy
08-30-10, 09:26
Like many others, this thread has made me more intrigued by the G26. I had considered a small 380 for pocket carry during these dog days of summer in Dallas...oh the many days of 100+ weather. But I digress. I ruled out the 380 and want to focus on a 9mm option, and the G26 seems like a pretty good option. I have a G19 so same caliber, smaller frame seems to make sense. That is, I know the platform, so going with a Glock over say a Ruger SR9c or similar, seems to make sense (to me anyway...).

However, I bought my G19 as a smaller, lighter alternative to my full size 1911. Now I'm considering a smaller, lighter alternative to my G19...:confused:

Can someone who has both guns post a few pics that show the difference in size, height and length, for a G19 vs G26. To me, grip length difference is the most important, as it is probably the biggest issue with concealed carry (of course, width is too but I'm going to assume unless someone tells me otherwise that the G26 and G19 are the same width).

Width is identical...it's essentially a G19 with a barrel/slide chop and a grip chop.

From left to right - G17, G19, G26:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/100_2222.jpg

From top to bottom - G17, G19, G26:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/bridoyal/100_2224.jpg

And especially, if you carry a G26 with a mag extension do you end up with a grip length the same as a G19 anyway?

Pretty much. I don't carry the 26 unless I'm good with 10+1.

I guess what I'm getting at is, what do I gain from getting a G26 that I don't already have by carrying my G19?

For me, the 26 is easier to carry AIWB and easier to carry with a less baggy shirt. Ease of concealment is the advantage, IMO.

Blinking Dog
08-30-10, 13:03
Thanks Palmguy for the photos. That's exactly what I was looking for. I had read the specs on the G26 and G19, but as they say a photo is worth...

The G26 grip certainly does appear quite shorter than the G19, so concealability (provided you're carrying the standard 10 round mag) ought to be pretty darn good. I suppose you can carry a spare mag with 10, 12 or even 15 rounds in it for a total of up to 25 rounds. Geez, I need 3 mags for sure to get that round count when carrying my 1911.

Now all I have to do is get a good deal on a G26. :D

DocCasualty
08-30-10, 13:11
The G26 grip certainly does appear quite shorter than the G19, so concealability (provided you're carrying the standard 10 round mag) ought to be pretty darn good.

That is the case. I agree that the grip length is the stickiest point about concealing and what sets the G26 apart. Adding a mag or pinky extension defeats that advantage.

TheLefty
08-30-10, 13:45
Thanks Palmguy for the photos. That's exactly what I was looking for. I had read the specs on the G26 and G19, but as they say a photo is worth...

The G26 grip certainly does appear quite shorter than the G19, so concealability (provided you're carrying the standard 10 round mag) ought to be pretty darn good. I suppose you can carry a spare mag with 10, 12 or even 15 rounds in it for a total of up to 25 rounds. Geez, I need 3 mags for sure to get that round count when carrying my 1911.

I own a 26 and a 19, and the 26 is much more concealable for me most of the time because of the shorter grip length (I'm a small guy at 5'6" and 125 pounds). Your size and type of clothing are a big factor.

As for a good deal, find out if there are any dealers in your area that participate in the GSSF Pistol Purchase Program. If so, you can sign up for the GSSF for $35 a year, and can purchase one Glock annually at a discounted price ($425.00 for a G26). That's what I did when I bought my 26, but not everyone has a participating dealer in their area.

Blinking Dog
08-30-10, 13:52
I own a 26 and a 19, and the 26 is much more concealable for me most of the time because of the shorter grip length (I'm a small guy at 5'6" and 125 pounds). Your size and type of clothing are a big factor.

As for a good deal, find out if there are any dealers in your area that participate in the GSSF Pistol Purchase Program. If so, you can sign up for the GSSF for $35 a year, and can purchase one Glock annually at a discounted price ($425.00 for a G26). That's what I did when I bought my 26, but not everyone has a participating dealer in their area.

I'm a fairly small dude too, so smaller guns work out better for me. And in Texas, especially in summer, I try to go the shorts and single layer shirt route. So sounds like I need to take a G26 for a spin. Thanks for the GSSF tip. That is a great piece of info.

awm14hp
08-30-10, 13:52
one thing I noticed other day when shooting the g26 and g19 is the hump placement and getting used to it being lower in the 19 after shooting and carrying the 26 all summer. But after a mag I was dialed back in

Palmguy
08-30-10, 14:00

No problem.

Yeah, you can carry bigger mags as reloads. The biggest Glocks I had for awhile were the 19s, so my biggest mags were 15 rounders. Now that I have a 34 (I sold the 17 in my pictures last year) I'm in the process of switching over my spare mags (that I keep in my Maxpedition bag, car, nightstand, etc) to 17 or 17+2 rounders so they'll work in any of my Glocks...I now have the 26, two 19s, and the 34.

I personally can't carry a 19 or bigger with just a t-shirt, it prints too conspicuously. That'll get better as I drop the pounds (currently 5'11" 215, should be about 175-185), but even still I can hide the 26 with a t-shirt now so it gets the nod for sure if my Columbia fishing shirts are in the wash :D

M4arc
08-30-10, 14:07
I'm a fairly small dude too, so smaller guns work out better for me. And in Texas, especially in summer, I try to go the shorts and single layer shirt route. So sounds like I need to take a G26 for a spin. Thanks for the GSSF tip. That is a great piece of info.

Like you and TheLefty I'm a small guy too; 5'5" & 130lbs so saving a 1/2 off the slide and grip of the gun makes a big difference. I can carry my G19 with a t-shirt and a medium polo or button up shirt easily but it gets tougher with just a t-shirt. The G26 can easily be concealed (on me) with a medium t-shirt.

QuickStrike
08-30-10, 15:36
How do you guys test for proneness towards limp-wristing?

I fired my g26 strong hand only with my pinky and ring finger hanging out and really limp. Got bored after two mags and quit doing it.

The gun was definitely jumping around a lot more, but still fed. 20 rounds of plinking ammo enough to prove anything?

PlatoCATM
08-30-10, 15:42
Also test with duty ammo. I'm not sure which ammo would be more problematic SHO/WHO, but I would still test with duty ammo.

I experienced one FTF around the mid-300s rd ct with my G26 using SHO and M882 NATO ball. I couldn't replicate it that day after it happened and it hasn't done it since. So was it limp wristing, ammo, lube issue? I don't know.

I fired my g26 strong hand only with my pinky and ring finger hanging out and really limp. Got bored after two mags and quit doing it.

The gun was definitely jumping around a lot more, but still fed. 20 rounds of plinking ammo enough to prove anything?

QuickStrike
08-30-10, 16:05
Also test with duty ammo. I'm not sure which ammo would be more problematic SHO/WHO, but I would still test with duty ammo.

I experienced one FTF around the mid-300s rd ct with my G26 using SHO and M882 NATO ball. I couldn't replicate it that day after it happened and it hasn't done it since. So was it limp wristing, ammo, lube issue? I don't know.

I'll try it some more with SHO/WHO. I was thinking that the 115gr. plinking ammo would be weaker and are more likely to cause cycling problems?

I really dislike "wasting" ammo shooting like an effete Bristish tea drinker though. :D

I'm a fairly small dude too, so smaller guns work out better for me. So sounds like I need to take a G26 for a spin.

+1 for the G26. I'm probably the shortest on this forum @ 5'3" and 150lbs. The g26 is very concealable with most of my polos with a good fit. I can bend down to grab cans of stuff at the grocery store and tie my shoes, etc, without getting people's attention.

JHC
08-30-10, 17:44

I thought your post so interesting that I began a new thread on this topic. Perhaps you could share. I didn't have such luck with other G models. I will try my G26 in the future.

Bulldog7972
08-31-10, 08:52
Does anyone have the ability to post pictures of a G19 with a standard magazine next to a G26 with a two round Pearce extension? I hear guys talk about that two round mag extension negating any concealability advantage the G26 has over the G19 when you add that two round extension.

Palmguy
08-31-10, 09:03
Does anyone have the ability to post pictures of a G19 with a standard magazine next to a G26 with a two round Pearce extension? I hear guys talk about that two round mag extension negating any concealability advantage the G26 has over the G19 when you add that two round extension.

I'll take one when I get home if no one has posted one yet (though my extension is the Glock part, not Pearce). The 26 is still shorter, more so at the back of the mag relative to the front, but the significant majority of it's size advantage is indeed lost with the +2.

awm14hp
08-31-10, 09:23
I dont know if this helps here is one with and without extension
and my 19

stifled
08-31-10, 09:50

It's extremely difficult to limp wrist a G26 with +p or +p+ 9mm loads. You basically have to hold it so lose it'd be extremely dangerous to shoot that way. When I first got mine I was worried about it so after a few hundred rounds to break the springs in a bit I went through a couple boxes of International Cartridge 9mm +p (I believe it's +p, anyhow) frangible rounds trying to hold the gun loosely and had no issues whatsoever.

The same can't be said for say a Ruger LCP, which is relatively easy to limp wrist under less than ideal circumstances.

I have not tried to limp wrist my G26 with plinking ammo, so cannot speak to that.

Great comparison pics, Palmguy!

Bulldog7972
08-31-10, 21:32
and my 19

Wow, very telling. Thanks. I guess it's either a G19 for a G23 for me if I decide to venture over to the dark side.

Blinking Dog
09-01-10, 19:45
These photos are very helpful. I especially appreciate the one with the comparison to the G19, with the G26 sporting the extended mag. Sort of takes away the point of the G26 from a concealability point-of-view. Good to know.

Bolt_Overide
09-02-10, 03:17
I guess my hands are just too big for the 26, I cant hit a bull in the butt with it at 25 feet.

awm14hp
09-02-10, 06:19
These photos are very helpful. I especially appreciate the one with the comparison to the G19, with the G26 sporting the extended mag. Sort of takes away the point of the G26 from a concealability point-of-view. Good to know.

not really even with them on its easier to hide I love it and I been using it all summer and find it easier to hide than the 19 I did last summer. I want to try some of the GAP grips to see how those do.

jr1572
09-04-10, 11:51
and my 19

I compared my 27 with factory extended base plates and the grip is barely shorter than the grip on my full size PX4.

JR1572

jamaicanj
09-11-10, 20:38
The glock 26 is one of my favorite pistols

platoonDaddy
09-12-10, 01:30
Keep your G27 in action using 9mm. I own a G33 & a G27 and shoot 9mm in both of these guns using the Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel and Glock 9mm magazines.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1003&CAT=241

No internal changes are needed to shoot the conversion barrel other than using the correct size 9mm mags. This way if you want to practice with 9mm and still carry .40SW, just swap the barrels and mags.

Note: You can ''special order'' these barrel w/o their Wolf logo on the top of the barrel ( I prefer them this way ).

T&R

Thanks for the info on ordering without the logo.

FotoTomas
09-13-10, 14:27
Some worry about concealability with the GLOCK + adapter but I found it to be a non issue in my circumstances. As much as I love the G26 and carry it as a primary off duty often my carry methods dictate whether the G26 or G19 gets the nod.

My G19 will not fit my pocket nearly as well as my G26 EVEN with the + adapter. I normally pocket carry with the flat base 10 round magazine but have on occasion used the + adapter since it was handier.

Occasionally the G26 will get some ride time in a Galco or Renegade ankle holster. For me the extra barrel length of the 19 will not allow for comfortable carry but the + adapter on a G26 simple disapears while giving mw two extra rounds.

In addition the G26 gets carried in an OWB Serpa holster with paddle. A simple on/off system that works well when I have a vest or jacket but would prefer that extra half inch of barrel NOT to be there in case of rideup. If I carry IWB then the G19/17/34 would get the gig due to the hidden barrel/slide.

Another point that has been important in "my" experience is the subtle difference in feel due to the rear of the grip frame being different. The + adapter on the G26 leaves its largest point at the toe while the heel of the magazine and the grip are still back at the normal G26 size. For me the G19 with its larger grip heel causes discomfort when concealed in a pocket or on the ankle.

Some people find a grip reduction to be in order for the larger size GLOCKS. I find the G26 grip with a larger magazine from the G19 or G17 to give me a "cheap" grip reduction and I often shoot the G26 with G19/17 magazines in IDPA or IPSC competition.

The G26 is truly a workable solution for anything a handgun might be called on to do. The 19/17/34 provide some options but I would rather have a G26 as my only pistol if I had no other choice.

I am hoping for a mini rail to be put on it at some point. That subcompact light beats the hell out of my extended magazine with flashlight bracket on the bottom for nightstand duty. Of course that was WHY I "needed" the G34. My wife was very understanding. Then we went and bought her some new shoes. :)

Militant83
09-13-10, 20:23
Ive had a G26 for a few months now and its my go to CCW gun. Its the right size with the right amount of power. My wife even likes shooting this gun.

Ga Shooter
09-30-10, 09:53
Finally sold my 36 and now have a 26. :D Can't wait to try her out!

jamaicanj
09-30-10, 12:00
Finally sold my 36 and now have a 26. :D Can't wait to try her out!

Congrats. The 26 is my all time favorite glock.

bruce21b
10-09-10, 21:20
Really good thread...

i absolutely LOVE my OD G26, has been my CCW for about three months now.....

I added talon grips, a grip plug and Wolff guide rod/spring....

zero malfs....

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/bruce21b/SNC00010.jpg

Mark71
10-13-10, 09:32
Hey Greg,

Are you still shooting the G26 or did you fall back in love with the P7M8? :)