PDA

View Full Version : More Bah' Humbuggery!

geminidglocker
12-16-09, 03:15
Today I had to buy a new water pump for my house. It ended up costing 939bucks. I havent even gone Christmas shopping yet. Most people would get all bent out of shape over this, I however am ok with this, since I don't really have a family. I guess the benefit of my life is that no matter what happens, I always see the glass as half full, not half empty.:D

GMZ
12-16-09, 06:17
Today I had to buy a new water pump for my house. It ended up costing 939bucks. I havent even gone Christmas shopping yet. Most people would get all bent out of shape over this, I however am ok with this, since I don't really have a family. I guess the benefit of my life is that no matter what happens, I always see the glass as half full, not half empty.:D

Staying positive is about the best thing for you. I stopped buying and accepting gifts from everyone a long time ago.

Safetyhit
12-16-09, 12:10
I stopped buying and accepting gifts from everyone a long time ago.

Are you sure that was the best way to go?

Zhurdan
12-16-09, 12:18
I'll gladly pay you Friday for a hamburger today!

Stuff breaks, friends and family shouldn't. If you can't buy them stuff this year, they'll understand, or at least they should.

Here's to smiling your way thru adversity. :D

JackOSU
12-16-09, 12:29

I'm sure each has their own opinion on this, but unless it would be my wife etc I really feel no need. In my eyes it's about being with family and friends and giving something if you can without the guilt or feeling by the other person of having to do the same in return.

I feel far too many folks feel obligated to get gifts for people who give them gifts and vice versa. To me it's become more about profits and a Hallmark holiday than the true meaning of Christmas the past 30 years plus.

Perfect example would be how many gifts has the average person bought and received in their life that they never used or had a need for? When you do get a gift for someone whether at work or a distant family member etc the most common thing would be a gift certificate etc. Now if you are just swapping gift cards the point was really moot in my eyes.

YMMV. Not trying to be a scrooge, but to me I'd much rather not get a single gift if I could go at least one holiday getting to see all my family together and there be no drama or any sort. Life would be good! :D

Safetyhit
12-16-09, 12:38
In my eyes it's about being with family and friends and giving something if you can without the guilt or feeling by the other person of having to do the same in return.

I completely agree, but suppose I gathered a different conclusion based upon the rather broad statement. Like maybe he has just given up on the spirit of Christmas overall.

JackOSU
12-16-09, 12:44
I completely agree, but suppose I gathered a different conclusion based upon the rather broad statement. Like maybe he has just given up on the spirit of Christmas overall.

That could be...hopefully not though.

Maybe it's just been a bad year for some??

geminidglocker
12-16-09, 12:48
I have pretty much given up on Christmas spirit. For me the upside to having to replace my water pump, is that the new unit looks badass, is half the size of the old one, and the guy who installed it told me it would be 20 years before I would ever need a new one. It was also nice that upon his arrival we recognized each other, as he used to be a customer of mine when I sold guns. That was nice because I currently have guns and parts all over the place, as well as posters and a Glock banner from a Gunshow. I don't like strangers, that might think I'm nutty for turning my living area into my "All things gun" room.

rob_s
12-16-09, 12:53

Depends largely on what you think the "spirit" is. If someone else thinks it's about getting and giving and they don't like my "spirit", then **** 'em.

I too, would prefer to spend time and share meals with family and friends than feel obligated to give gifts and feign enjoyment of more trinkets, knicknacks, garbage and junk that I'll feel guilty about throwing away the following week.

Last year I gave lots of donations to the local no-kill pet shelter. Got a lot of icy receptions. Those ice cubes are off the list this year. Makes things much easier for me. Hopefully next year they'll get the hint and take me off their list, likewise continuing the trend of making things easier as I won't have to pretend to like or need the junk they gave me.

GMZ
12-16-09, 13:01

Absolutely

I'm sure each has their own opinion on this, but unless it would be my wife etc I really feel no need. In my eyes it's about being with family and friends and giving something if you can without the guilt or feeling by the other person of having to do the same in return.

I feel far too many folks feel obligated to get gifts for people who give them gifts and vice versa. To me it's become more about profits and a Hallmark holiday than the true meaning of Christmas the past 30 years plus.

Perfect example would be how many gifts has the average person bought and received in their life that they never used or had a need for? When you do get a gift for someone whether at work or a distant family member etc the most common thing would be a gift certificate etc. Now if you are just swapping gift cards the point was really moot in my eyes.

YMMV. Not trying to be a scrooge, but to me I'd much rather not get a single gift if I could go at least one holiday getting to see all my family together and there be no drama or any sort. Life would be good! :D

This is what I was thinking but didnt feel like typing! I usually just save my money to buy a plane ticket home during my leave. Although lately Ive been using a new strategy which is taking leave in Nov or Jan. Why take leave over a bunch of half days and 96 hr R&Rs? Id much rather take off during full work time. Besides the range is always empty around the holidays so it works out great.

It really makes me sick to see people doing the black Friday thing, spending money they dont have to buy things they dont need (or worse will throw away in XX months/years). The holidays seem so commercialized and processed.

For me the upside to having to replace my water pump, is that the new unit looks badass, is half the size of the old one, and the guy who installed it told me it would be 20 years before I would ever need a new one.

A pump or a water heater type thing? New gear is always cool :cool:

JSantoro
12-16-09, 15:16
Depends largely on what you think the "spirit" is. If someone else ... don't like my "spirit", then **** 'em.

Pretty much the way I look at it, too. I have nothing against Christmas spirit, so much as I have against those who feel the need to ram it down my throat. Their enthusiasm gets in the way of my enjoyment of this time of the year, so I try to avoid those people (they're freaking EVERYwhere!).

Loathe Christmas music, though. Unabashedly. Chris Cornell singing Ave Maria is :cool:. The 12th iteration of Dogs Barking Jingle Bells, however, is enough to make me want to kick a kitten through a turbine engine.

Safetyhit
12-16-09, 17:11
Loathe Christmas music, though. Unabashedly.

Not giving (or receiving) gifts is one thing. But seriously, How does anyone come to "loathe" Christmas music? Can't you see the overall good intent there?

Some serious Grinch's here.

Submariner
12-16-09, 17:16
If we are celebrating Jesus' birth, then why are we expected to give gifts to others?:rolleyes:

After all, it's His birthday, not theirs.

Besides, .gov employees are getting the day off with pay. What more do they want?

JSantoro
12-16-09, 18:56
Can't you see the overall good intent there?

Yes, I can see the good intent. The road to the purest sort of evil is lavishly paved with it. Soviet Russia's gov't started out with metric assloads of it. They, too, wanted all the citizens to fall into line and enjoy all the things The Party enjoyed for all the same reasons.

We can feel the way we want, because it's http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2480/iconusa.gif (http://img444.imageshack.us/i/iconusa.gif/).

All the seasonal zealots can do is continue to annoy us and gnash their Pollyanna teeth when we don't catch the contrived mood to their satisfaction, inform the local Party Secretary as to our non-compliance, and hope the snatch teams make us un-persons.

:D

geminidglocker
12-16-09, 19:06
This thread was intended to be positive. That is the point, and apparently most of you get it.

Safetyhit
12-16-09, 20:17
Yes, I can see the good intent. The road to the purest sort of evil is lavishly paved with it. Soviet Russia's gov't started out with metric assloads of it. They, too, wanted all the citizens to fall into line and enjoy all the things The Party enjoyed for all the same reasons.

We can feel the way we want, because it's http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2480/iconusa.gif (http://img444.imageshack.us/i/iconusa.gif/).

All the seasonal zealots can do is continue to annoy us and gnash their Pollyanna teeth when we don't catch the contrived mood to their satisfaction, inform the local Party Secretary as to our non-compliance, and hope the snatch teams make us un-persons.

:D

Um...wow is all that comes to mind.

Sorry some of you guys are so bitter.