PDA

View Full Version : Pack recommendations?

M4arc
12-16-09, 11:19
I'd like to organize my essential items and kit into a handy backpack and would like some recommendations. Let's hear them!

Evil Colt 6920
12-16-09, 11:28
I bought a $7 remington camo back pack from walmart, and its been a great range campanion. However since my gun collection has grown since then, the back pack seems to have shrunk. Im thinking about getting a double rifle case and new gear bag myself. Anyone with suggestions please chime in, and yall know we love pics!:D

mattj
12-16-09, 11:33
I got the original ATS RAID pack with the stiffening insert when they had them on clearance cheap... I love this pack! The clearance ones are gone now, IIRC, but I can't think you could go wrong with the gen2 RAID pack or it's smaller cousin the Cobra.

Danny Boy
12-16-09, 12:24
Got an Eagle A-III three day pack that I've been very happy with.

SeriousStudent
12-16-09, 16:00
Good question - can you describe a few of the items? For instance, I'm wondering about relative sizes. Do you need to make room for an SBR; or a would just a quart water bottle or pistol be the largest item you need?

I have a used Camelbak Motherlode I bought off fleabay for about $50 shipped. It's quite sturdy, and carries well. It will not hold a broken-down carbine, however. I bought the Noveske/Eagle backpack for that.

Do you have a price range you are considering, and does it need to have a built-in hydration system?

Thanks! :)

GMZ
12-16-09, 16:14
How much and what what will you be carrying? I just got a LBT 3 Day Assault and love it for everyday use. I have way too many packs as it is but I needed a black one to wear while Im in uniform. If paying retail Id go with the Eagle.

M4arc
12-16-09, 19:38
A hydration system would be cool but I'm thinking of the basics here; survival kit, compass, water purifier, knife, Leatherman maybe an MRE, jacket, fire starting kit, etc.

GMZ
12-16-09, 19:49
A hydration system would be cool but I'm thinking of the basics here; survival kit, compass, water purifier, knife, Leatherman maybe an MRE, jacket, fire starting kit, etc.

You could go U/L with a VersaPack Jumbo, or bigger with an assault pack. Civvie looking or closer to mil style?

M4arc
12-16-09, 20:00
You could go U/L with a VersaPack Jumbo, or bigger with an assault pack. Civvie looking or closer to mil style?

Looks don't matter all that much. Something with MOLLE panels would be nice so I could add additional pouches as necessary.

ST911
12-16-09, 20:40
Low-pro or obvious? Big fan of the AIII 3-day packs, esp Eagle and LBTs. Kifaru, RAID are GTG. DAPs look good. Camelbak has some options, too. Some of these are available in non-mil, or at least more mainstream colors.

There's no shortage of options in backpacks, only the money to buy them.

SeriousStudent
12-16-09, 21:10
Somebody had a RAID or Cobra pack on clearance for $55 that I saw the other day. I'm digging through my browser history without much luck. I'll post if I find it.

It was in ACU, but a $4 package of RIT dye would likely fix that.

Supply Captain has a Cobra pack for $70 off, it's only $99. Again, in ACU.

http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=387&ParentCat=74

And LBT puts their extras on sale on fleabay.

http://myworld.ebay.com/londonbridgetrading/

Gear whore that I am, I'm always watching what they throw on there for sale.

GMZ
12-16-09, 21:27
Looks don't matter all that much. Something with MOLLE panels would be nice so I could add additional pouches as necessary.

The Eagle AIII Molle can be had with a kit of add on pouches. The Eagle does have Molle on the sides whereas the LBT doesnt, but I couldnt pass up the deal I got on it. I even got a tour of the place where they make them. My vote goes for Eagle AIII Molle, SKD has the add on pouch kit.

MIKE G
12-16-09, 21:29

Ga Shooter
12-17-09, 15:19
I have a Condor II from Maxipedition that I love and use a lot. It will do what you want and is not to big and has the ability to add hydration if you want.

00leland00
12-17-09, 16:28
Camelbak motherlode?

CharlieKilo
12-17-09, 16:50
I have a Condor 3 Day Assault Pack. I love it. Very comfortable, lots of padding and storage...well made. I have beaten the hell out of it too. Several Mojave trips, weekend camping, hunting. No rips, tears, shreds, anything.

http://www.desertdeucesurplus.com/servlet/the-775/Condor-3-Day-Assault/Detail

CTD probably has them for less if they are in stock.

BAC
12-18-09, 14:14
I'd like to organize my essential items and kit into a handy backpack and would like some recommendations. Let's hear them!

How much does the total kit weigh, and how much space does it take up? Would a commercial pack from Jansport or North Face be out of the question?

-B

Spoon
12-19-09, 04:02
On the small side consider the Camelbak HAWG. I miss my Camelbak HAWG, it died a horrible death when it flung off my motorcycle. I had it strapped on my CBR's tail like I always have. I was really lucky because when I retrieved the HAWG I found out it was rubbing on the rear tire before it flew off! Everything I had in the HAWG survived except my pocket mask and a bdu belt both melted because of the tire. My Iphone also survived with only part of the slider case chewed off. I used the HAWG for just about everything for small hikes, college, carry the essentials to stay over at the gf's, range bag, etc.. I never found it to be to small, I thought it was perfect and was suprised how much you stuff you can cram into it! It was the older 1000D cordura version. The newer one is the 500D cordura version, I saw they also have a 1000D version in the new style. I haven't found anyone who has the newer 1000D version besides Tad Gear I think.

RogerinTPA
12-19-09, 08:26
I got the original ATS RAID pack with the stiffening insert when they had them on clearance cheap... I love this pack! The clearance ones are gone now, IIRC, but I can't think you could go wrong with the gen2 RAID pack or it's smaller cousin the Cobra.

What he said. I got mine for around $99.00 (I think) on sale through ATS, a couple of years ago. The RAID is very well constructed, however, the cost goes up when you start adding pouches. It's small enough and comfortable to hump in the field, without being too ungainly, while being large enough to store a significant amount of kit. The RAID or RAID II (improved with feedback from folks down range in the sandbox) at $179.00, it's still money well spent.

mattjmcd
12-19-09, 15:46
Here's the website.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosSeriesMens/
I've gotten mine at REI. I have 3 packs of various sizes and love them. They are very tough, but not as heavy-duty as Kifaru.

The suspension and ventilation of these packs make them real standouts in warm and/or humid conditions. The packs in this range have very rifle-butt-friendly straps that do not really interfere with mounting/ firing a rifle.

mattjmcd
12-19-09, 15:47
that these packs are the most hydration-friendly of all packs, IMO. You can run 2 100oz Camelbacks at once.

Von Rheydt
12-26-09, 07:46
Old British Army saying, "Live out of your bergen, fight in your belt order and survive in your smock".

The same principles apply to general BoB's, SHTF kits, emergency/disaster kit ...... whatever you want to call the thing. The reason I mention this is because you say you would carry your PSK in your ruck. Bad move, you lose your ruck and you lose everything. Your PSK should always be on you as should a basic IFAK.

Back to the rucksack question. I have four GOOD rucks from 25l up to 110l in capacity and only the 110l one is military ...... it retired with honours. The 3 non-military rucks are all L*we's. I do not hold with the majority of military style molle covered rucksacks as most of the companies building them only sprang out of the manure post 9/11. Firm's like L*we and B*rghaus have been around perfecting the art of load-carrying equipment for years and not throwing together something to sell for a fast-buck to a newly deployed soldier. Added to which, they take the piss with the prices being charged for 'militarised' rucks. You can buy an excellent civilian ruck for around $100.00 with change.

The good book of Federal Disaster Preparedness says that you should have enough to live for 5 days. That is not going to fit in a three day pack along with a sleeping bag. But then you do not need a 110l pack like my biggie ......... to be honest unless you are SF moving thru hostile country and need to carry the kitchen sink you do not need a 110l pack.

Somewhere between 50 and 70 litres should do it for you and there are plenty of subdued colours to chose from that are not Molle, millie, velcro. Put together the kit you want to take with you in your ruck and then go to the outdoor store and try out the rucks to see if it all fits in and how comfy the ruck is. If you are going to glue, screw or nail lots of molle pouches outside the ruck just buy a bigger ruck ......... pouches: cost more; catch on things; can fall off. Note: If you are in a SHTF situation and are carrying military gear the expectation and threat you present to people is differetn to that presented if you are carrying civilian gear.......then you can always surprise them if the need arises;).

Inside the ruck you should order everything nicely in stash bags. There are some good sil-nylon waterproof bags out there nowadays and you should be able to get some from the same outdoor shop you get the ruck from.

sxHarr05
01-04-10, 01:49
The Mrs. (with my help) grabbed me a Remington BigHorn backpack from wallyworld ($22). It's a fairly large bag with a small, medium and large compartment on the face, a small zippered pouch on each side, has pockets on each side for a typical water bottle (included), a sleeve and clips for a hydration bladder/hose, and provisions for attaching a companion waist pack. So far I''ve got four emergency blankets (foil type) and ponchos, compass, folding stove and fuel, five piece mess kit, basic first aid kit plus advil, antibiotics and neosporin, "camo compact" (her idea. Guess she wanted me to say I had a compact in my BOB), waterproof match container, fleece hat, gloves and neck gaiter that match the bag, all in the medium pouch. The larger compartment will get BDU's or hunting-style camo, a change of socks and drawers, a shirt or three, my two way radios, batteries and a few boxes of two two three. JIC. The small side pouches will hold mags for my handguns, if I so choose. Or need. There's some other oddities and endities I need to grab (water puritabs, flashlight, food provisions like cliff bars, vitamins......???????)

Overall, I think it's more than just a good starter bag. Some may want to go smaller, some larger. I think this bag has enough options to be a good compromise.

Ak44
01-04-10, 01:52
I bought a Eagle Industries AIII Pack with molle in Multicam. It's my bag I use to take to the range (which will be replaced by a EDC Versipack soon), machine gun shoots, and gunshows. It's pretty nice and you can add on to it.

Mag_poop
02-06-10, 14:58
First things first: Water, get yourself a sweetwater pump to filter water instead of using the iodine tablets. This will pay dividends for years to come. You can store the water in some non-lubricated condoms. IIf you put them in a sturdy pair of socks, it will protect them.
After the water issue is solved, carry a few bulion cubes. I like the beef. It will add flavor to otherwise bland ass food that you gather. It is nice to have some tinfoil as well. You don't need a ton, just about 2 feet. It will fold up nicely into a compact square. Carry some lead weights and fishing line with some hooks for trout lines. Go to gander mtn and get some edable vegitation cards or a small book. There is nothing worse than guessing what is good and what is bad to eat. A folding fixed blade knif is a must as well.
Lastly, carry a small book and a deck of cards. It is nice to have something to pass the time when you find yourself in a survival situation. One on traps and snare could come in handy.
All of this can fit into a small tupperware bowl that will not take up much room in your pack.

-RLTW-

HES
02-18-10, 00:28
Sorry to resurrect this zombie thread, but do you all have any recommendations for packs in the 4000 cu in range? There is a deal on GEN II MOLLE packs, but then I got to thinking about the USMC ILBE packs or even the Arcteryx Tango packs. I'm trying to keep the cost to under $300.00. I currently have a CFP90 pack and while its large, its not the most comfortable.

cmiller683
02-18-10, 06:04
If the molle system is essential, don't get too caught up in it while you're purchasing a pack. You can always go to a seamstress and have them stitch them in for cheap.

I agree with the idea of looking for a company that has been around for a while, and not just slinging crap to the post-9/11 crowd.

My three main considerations for a pack, for any situation, is hydration, suspension and organization. I like the camelbak's because they have a waist suspension set-up, a great hydration system including pouches for water bottles, and a good amount of organization.

Remember, if you'd like a pocket here, or a strap there, you can always have them stitched on. I have a camelbak that I'm putting some molle bits on it so I can strap on my tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag for hiking.

91Bravo
02-19-10, 09:54
I have spent most of my life as a backpacker. I have carried everything from a Boy Scout Haversack, WWII ski troops rucksack, ALICE kidneykiller, Kelty Tioga, Lowe Expedition and finally today I carry a Lowe Contour 4. Two years ago I spent 32 days on California's John Muir Trail walking down the spine of the Sierra Nevada. Lessons learned.

1. Get one big enough. The extra space doesn't weigh much but too small forces you to leave important things behind or tie them on.

2. Avoid tieing things on or external pouches, they fall off, snag on brush, flop around making the pack awkward to carry and negatively affecting balance.

3. All packs should have a good waistbelt that will take the load off your shoulders allowing you to breathe.

4. Good quality is crucial. The worst thing that can happen to a pack is the bottom to rip out or a strap to tear out when you need it most. You end up carrying your kit in your arms. Don't ask me how I know this.

5. Today's packs tend to be overbuilt and heavy. My Lowe Countour is 6 lbs, ie the heaviest single item in my kit. Look for a simple bag without load bearing zippers. I like one big pocket for camping stuff, a smaller one in the bottom for clothes. Most folks put a sleeping bag in the bottom but a sleeping bag is the last thing one uses in a day so I put sweaters, tshirt, Goretex jacket and pants etc that I will need in a hurry in the bottom pocket. A top pocket for small stuff is also best.

I am like a woman hunting for shoes. I have yet to find something adequate for all uses. Right now I carry a Lowe Contour IV 70 liters and am considering a simple Arcteyrx Tango or Echo. For day use I hump a Black Diamond Sphynx L45.

Vendetta
02-21-10, 10:44
Osprey packs are always really nice. I just ordered a TAD F.A.S.T. Pack P.S. v2, should be getting it this week. I'm not going to be carrying around the same essentials you do, my bags are basically used to keep basic camping/survival stuff and climbing gear with me at all times. I use to take random trips to climb before I moved for a job, now I don't really need it so the kit is going to be revised some. I've had numerous Osprey packs though, all good to go.

91Bravo
02-21-10, 18:41
Vendetta where do you climb? Most of my routes are here in the east but I've been a couple of places out west.

More on Packs... Stay away from the new US Army MOLLE rucksack. It's the most awkwardly shaped and riding thing I have ever seen. THe Marines seem to have a more competant supply organization with their Tango, Echo and Charlie packs.

For good info on just about anything backpacking check out Backpacker Magazine's Gear Guide. But stay away from the "ultralite" stuff if doing military or SAR work. It won't hold up when bushwacking. Again don't ask how I know.

HES
02-21-10, 20:35
Stay away from the new US Army MOLLE rucksack. It's the most awkwardly shaped and riding thing I have ever seen.
By new do you mean the gen IV or the entire line?

91Bravo
02-21-10, 21:09
The only one I am familiar with is a Gen 2 which has a black plastic frame. It's a POS. Awkward to move with and painful to carry. Lots of room though.

HES
02-21-10, 23:51
I do know that they have a new frame out there. My buddy was showing off the new frame last month before he headed out to the sand box.

Mac5.56
02-23-10, 16:03
I love my G3 Operator Eberlestock pack. Love It! I carried this pack with me for two weeks during hunting season (i work nights right now, so I got to go every day this season). I carried it on other trips with guns in the scabbard, and it is loaded up and ready as a bug out bag as we speak.

But, it is heavy, it is big, and it is not really a "day pack" style bag. More an overnighter.

siucowboy
02-27-10, 13:27
I love my G3 Operator Eberlestock pack. Love It! I carried this pack with me for two weeks during hunting season (i work nights right now, so I got to go every day this season). I carried it on other trips with guns in the scabbard, and it is loaded up and ready as a bug out bag as we speak.

But, it is heavy, it is big, and it is not really a "day pack" style bag. More an overnighter.

+1 on Eberlestock, I've got 3 of their packs and love everyone of them. The Operator is a good one, so is the standard "Just Ones" (J104, J105, J107).

The X1A1 is a nice smaller size as well.

CAP
02-27-10, 20:04
I have a Condor 3 Day Assault Pack. I love it. Very comfortable, lots of padding and storage...well made. I have beaten the hell out of it too. Several Mojave trips, weekend camping, hunting. No rips, tears, shreds, anything.

http://www.desertdeucesurplus.com/servlet/the-775/Condor-3-Day-Assault/Detail

CTD probably has them for less if they are in stock.

The Condor 3 day pack may be a little large for what you are needing, but I love mine. Desert Tactical has them. Was $77 shipped to me.

http://www.deserttactical.com/3_Day_Assault_Pack_p/m125.htm

danpass
03-26-10, 20:50
I went with a Camelbak HAWG for use as a GHB. Miami is rather urban and bugging in is the plan based on the Month of the Hurricanes back in '05 lol.

Simple list that I'm still putting together:

Small toiletry kit (toothbrush/toothpaste, disp razor, small shaving cream, deodorant, foot powder) and my one question about this: those 'shower' camp towellette things. Ever use them?
One pair Underwear (two for two nights)
One pair socks (two for two nights)
One complete MRE (FSR preferred ....... if I can find one) (two for two nights)
Full 3L bladder
M&P handgun and two clipazines
small TP roll just in case lol
small, basic FAK
Eneloop charger/battery. For example this can charge/run any small USB device. It can charge my iPhone 2.5 times.
LED headlamp (suggestions?)

other ideas I'm having:

Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivvy
Inflatable pillow
Fleece
Additional pants and polo shirt

the MRE really takes up room lol. I'm considering adding a generic pouch to the outside MOLLE

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v11/p424430882-5.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/v10/p110693178-5.jpg

HES
03-28-10, 20:00
Well its Florida and we all know that the key in the aftermath of a hurricane in the sunshine state is water, water, water, and oh yeah water. I think that bugging in requires a completely different load out but for moving from point A to your bug in location that looks like it might work. But I would consider some extra canteens. Heck go to wally world and buy their fanny pack / dual canteen carrier combo if you want to look low key. If you are thinking of just one day for travel have you considered ditching the MRE and putting in a power bar or two and a can of ravioli? OH as for the camp towelettes..just buy unscented antibacterial baby wipes. Same thing and the baby wipes are a lot cheaper.

91Bravo
03-29-10, 08:01
BTW Danpass your web site is awesome. Thanx.

OK guys are we talking about daypacks here or something one can live out of for 3-5 days. IE carry a tent, stove, sleeping bag etc, or just water, powerbars, and a rain suit??

danpass
03-31-10, 13:27
BTW Danpass your web site is awesome. Thanx.

OK guys are we talking about daypacks here or something one can live out of for 3-5 days. IE carry a tent, stove, sleeping bag etc, or just water, powerbars, and a rain suit??

Thank you :)

Pathfinder Ops
03-31-10, 18:53
As an EDC pack I am currently using a Northface "Bigshot."

It's ok but NOT gonna hold up and frankly the 2 outside pockets zipper vertically so when you open them there is a chance stuff will fall out.

The only thing I really like is the shape and the volume is correct for what I am seeking.

I use an Eberlestock Phantom for my field work, backpacking, travel and just about everything other than everyday carry.

This is a GREAT pack! whether I'm packing a Long gun or just civilian travel with out a weapon it's versatile, durable, easily modified to my needs and absolutely the most comfortable pack I have ever worn.

Weight distribution and security is easily accomplished and I can't imagine what I would do to improve this pack for my uses.

Anyone used the TAD Gear Fast pack EDC packs? They seem very steep (go figure TAD gear prices) but are they any good?

91Bravo
03-31-10, 19:17
I just had a look at the Eberlestock packs. They seem heavy for the cubic inch space. ie 6 lbs for 3080 ci.

Pathfinder Ops
03-31-10, 19:33
I just had a look at the Eberlestock packs. They seem heavy for the cubic inch space. ie 6 lbs for 3080 ci.

I guess.... To be sure the Eberlestock packs are VERY solid. So yeah they probably do come across as heavy. Does the weight you are looking at include the entire system? Rifle scabbard and all? Because the rifle part comes off when not needed making the pack lighter.

Just wondering because I never really pay attention to the pack's weight. I shop for durability because of my usage history.

91Bravo
04-05-10, 08:26
If you carry a pack for more than a day or two, when it becomes part of ones daily burden, then you begin to look at everything in it with a different perspective. After the first week we were tearing out the labels in our clothes and sleeping bags. I cut extra straps and buckles off of pack and tent. One eliminates almost all "just in case" stuff(first aid kit is only exception) and all "nice to have" things. After a month one is carrying only the things directly required for survival and the mission and nothing else.

That's why weight of the pack bag itself is critical. My 6 lb pack (72 liter volume) is the heaviest item on my back. The go-lite folks carry packs that weigh a pound but will shred when bushwacking. Mountaineers like me carry a heavier one but mine is still too heavy. ie 6 lbs for a 72 liter bag is the upper limit. The Ebbersole(spic) packs are way heavier than that. Better to find something lighter if you are expecting to carry it more than a day or two.

siucowboy
04-05-10, 18:53
Eberlestock packs are heavy compared to mountaineering packs, but that's not their target audience. Their target audience are back-country hunters and tactical operators.

I can tell you that if you have to carry a long gun while you're "mountaineering", there is no more comfortable way than in an Eberlestock pack. I've spent a week at a time with one on my back topping 60lbs and 6-8 miles at a time sporting 100+ lbs loads...I haven't broke anything on one yet (doesn't mean I won't, but these are pretty stout packs)

So it depends on what you plan to do with it - would I buy an Eberlstock to backpack and camp in the mountains - heck no

Would I buy one to allow me the versatility to carry my rifle (or bow), a spike camp that I can offload, and even later hopefully expand to carry stuff out that I hadn't come in with? - YEP They're a great pack when you don't know what you might be carrying one minute to the next. But you pay for it with an extra pound or so in the main pack. Just have to pick your poison.

Pathfinder Ops
04-05-10, 20:07
Eberlestock packs are heavy compared to mountaineering packs, but that's not their target audience. Their target audience are back-country hunters and tactical operators.

I can tell you that if you have to carry a long gun while you're "mountaineering", there is no more comfortable way than in an Eberlestock pack. I've spent a week at a time with one on my back topping 60lbs and 6-8 miles at a time sporting 100+ lbs loads...I haven't broke anything on one yet (doesn't mean I won't, but these are pretty stout packs)

So it depends on what you plan to do with it - would I buy an Eberlstock to backpack and camp in the mountains - heck no

Would I buy one to allow me the versatility to carry my rifle (or bow), a spike camp that I can offload, and even later hopefully expand to carry stuff out that I hadn't come in with? - YEP They're a great pack when you don't know what you might be carrying one minute to the next. But you pay for it with an extra pound or so in the main pack. Just have to pick your poison.

Agreed in every sense.

And for the record I have done 4day (3 night) pack trips into the Adirondacks carrying 45 - 60lb loads depending on season and My pack has been the most comfortable and capable pack I have ever carried and I've carried a few in my many years.

Durability and function are BIG factors for me. weight...... not so much. But I am a pretty stout fella to begin with and a few extra pounds in my world don't make a difference.

Of course I don't "mountaineer" so the mandates for ultra light weight gear is not something I factor for. I do appreciate the need for those who have different usage than I though.

Oh and one last statement..... The Eberlestock folks are probably the best and most personal I have ever dealt with regardless of the product. In fact about a month after I bought mine the owner of the company called to ask me if I was satisfied because the sales rep noted in my account that when I was discussing which pack I needed for my usage I went with their recommendation.

He called to make sure that the advice I received was accurate and that the pack was sufficient to my mission.

Now that alone, to me, is reason enough to carry the extra couple pounds.

siucowboy
04-05-10, 20:36
Yeah Glenn's a heck of a nice guy and 100% behind his products (even the early ones that he'll admit aren't anywhere near as good as what they're currently putting out)

Agreed in every sense.

And for the record I have done 4day (3 night) pack trips into the Adirondacks carrying 45 - 60lb loads depending on season and My pack has been the most comfortable and capable pack I have ever carried and I've carried a few in my many years.

Durability and function are BIG factors for me. weight...... not so much. But I am a pretty stout fella to begin with and a few extra pounds in my world don't make a difference.

Of course I don't "mountaineer" so the mandates for ultra light weight gear is not something I factor for. I do appreciate the need for those who have different usage than I though.

Oh and one last statement..... The Eberlestock folks are probably the best and most personal I have ever dealt with regardless of the product. In fact about a month after I bought mine the owner of the company called to ask me if I was satisfied because the sales rep noted in my account that when I was discussing which pack I needed for my usage I went with their recommendation.

He called to make sure that the advice I received was accurate and that the pack was sufficient to my mission.

Now that alone, to me, is reason enough to carry the extra couple pounds.

91Bravo
04-06-10, 09:57
I am looking at an Arcteyrx Bora. It's the predecessor of the Marine Corps ILBE. I don't actually have one in hand but it's spex look better than my current Lowe Contour IV.

Note that the Army once told me that one can carry 1/4 of your body weight comfortably. For me that is 45lbs. Why Operations Officers never paid attention to that is beyond me.

I read something recently about our guys in Afganistan being "overburdened" especially above 6,000 feet elevation. I think it was the article entitled "Taking Back the Infantry's 600 yards" about AR marksmanship. Apparently the Taliban only engage our guys from beyond 300 yards where iron sighted AR's loose accuracy and at high elevations where we don't manuever well because of the weight we carry. I know the Army is slow to change equipment but I bet we see the 10th Mountain carrying lighter COTS packs and gear very soon.

Hawkeye
04-28-10, 07:27
Hey M4arc, depending on how big your looking for, This may be of interest to you..... (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=639502#post639502)

3CTactical
04-28-10, 11:25
I've got a few TAD packs - the Litespeed and the EDC v4. I really like them both, but for different usages as the Litespeed is smaller then the EDC. To me they are very comfortable with up to about 20lbs in the Litespeed and 35-ish in the EDC. They also have a lifetime warranty and I've had good luck with TAD's customer service on other items I've purchased from them, so I'm pretty sure they'll take care of me if anything happens to one of their packs. I have heard good info on the Eberlestock packs as far as comfort and ruggedness are concerned and if I needed a larger pack, they would definately be on my short list.

91Bravo
06-21-10, 07:46
Does anybody on the forum have experience with the Marine Corps Arcteyrx/Propper built ILBE pack system. There's a huge main pack that properly comes with a lid pocket, external "sustainance" side pockets(MRE sized) a 3 liter water bladder and an attachable/removeable "assault" day pack? It's rumored to hold 6000 cu/in and strong enough to carry 120 lbs?? Total weight of system is 7lbs. It's only disadvantage that I can find is that it only comes in woodland MARPAT camoflage. Not real cool looking for walking across an airport? But very good for field tactical work.

Any experience out there? Marines speak up please.

rsgard
06-21-10, 16:38
My buddy is a marine and when i asked him about the ILBE he said he didnt like it.

I own a surplus large assault pack that i got off ebay for 50 bucks. Its got a flexible plastic back in it and is very comfortable to wear. It is exremely durable and i dont believe i could have bought a better pack for less than 100 dollars. I also own to MOLLE II rifleman external frame packs that are awesome for extended trips and hunting. I have no military experience but all the packs ive bought were on the suggestion of my buddy after his 2 tours in afghanistan.

OTML
07-23-10, 11:44
I was faced with a similar dilema. M4arc, After 4 years in the field, overseas, and around town, my Eagle A-III still looks great and hasn't failed yet. I liked it so well, that i now have one in OD and black as well as my FDE. I bought one for my son who just entered high school (and you all know how high-schoolers are about looking good and fashionable :confused:) and haven't heard a single complaint from him. After 3 years of carrying literally 40 pounds of textbooks, the only problem has been a shoulder strap fraying a bit (thank god for Eagles lifetime warranty). Anyways, When doing the equivalent of LRRPs, having that eagle was way better than using the crap we got issued plus it had molle/pals everywhere and i could rig extra ammo, medical gear, and other crap on without wasting duck-tape or para-cord. Go for one and you won't be disapointed and you can also find some bitchin deals if you look around.

titsonritz
07-24-10, 16:18
Kifaru makes great packs that will last a lifetime.

http://www.kifaru.net/

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-28-10, 14:21
My EDC Bail Out Bag, FG

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/sniperbusch/Bail-Out-Bag2.jpg

remington79
08-29-10, 09:56
I just got a Mystery Ranch BigHorn last month. It's a great pack. It's 3,000 cubic inches. I use it for day hikes to 3 day trips. The suspension system is great. I had back surgery on my lower back and this pack just makes the weight disappear. I can carry 40-45 pounds with no problems and no aches or pains afterwards. Plus they are made in the US and have a lifetime warranty.

Redneck19
09-17-10, 10:34
I use the Blackhawk X-1 RAPTOR for 3 day+ gear and a Camelback Assault for 3 day- gear.
The Blackhawk probably isn't the most comfortable pack in the world, 'course I may have loaded it wrong. It's not a hydration pack, which wasn't what I bought it for (it was an added bonus). It's about 2500 cu. in.
The Camelback is amazing. It's 90% water container with a pocket for other gear on the back and MOLLE webbing for other stuff. It's amazing how tought these are! I've worn it while doing flutter kicks no problem.

HES
09-17-10, 14:41
Kifaru makes great packs that will last a lifetime.

http://www.kifaru.net/
But right now their customer service is lacking. My wife has been trying to get a hold of them all week. She say's there is no option to speak to a human and shes left a could of messages earlier in the week and has yet to receive a call back. I explained to her that they might be very busy but still..

Oh and she is trying to unscrew her screw up with them about my birthday present.

titsonritz
09-17-10, 15:35
But right now their customer service is lacking. My wife has been trying to get a hold of them all week. She say's there is no option to speak to a human and shes left a could of messages earlier in the week and has yet to receive a call back. I explained to her that they might be very busy but still..

Oh and she is trying to unscrew her screw up with them about my birthday present.

Email them and be patient.

https://kifaru.net/contact.html

HETZ1313
09-21-10, 20:40
Rei brand has some great packs on sale all the time. Gregory, Oakley, all top stuff.

alrick18
08-01-19, 01:24
With packs you get what you pay for. Do your research, understand your requirements, then you could find yourself getting into the high end packs, in that case buy used. For civilian pack Gregory, Osprey, 5 11, REI. Military grade Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, and EXO. Go to sites like Rockslide read all you can before you spend the money.

Black Jeep
08-01-19, 18:18
Holy thread necromancy, Batman! I sure hope that feller wasn't waiting nine years for that answer.

alrick18
08-01-19, 20:34
That is funny, I just noticed.

jsbhike
08-05-19, 11:09
Since this got resurrected, concerning #51 question on ILBE and #52 that they were disliked, if the info I have read is correct that could be due to not working with USMC body armor which is allegedly why those got dumped on the surplus market so fast. The ILBE is essentially an Arcteryx Bora which almost always got Good reviews from backpackers.

ndmiller
08-05-19, 20:07

Hill People Gear Tarahumara Pack. Pick the color you want according to the level of attention you want to draw to your pack.

Tigereye
08-06-19, 19:49
Hill People Gear Tarahumara Pack. Pick the color you want according to the level of attention you want to draw to your pack.

I love the Tarahumara. Really good kit.

ndmiller
08-06-19, 20:21
I love the Tarahumara. Really good kit.

So simple, yet so effective as a pack. I have 4, one day hoping the rest of the family joins me outside......

just a scout
08-06-19, 20:28
Goruck. Best out there I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FJCowboy
04-22-20, 14:21
A bit of an old thread and obviously by the number of posts and age of this thread it is a very relevant topic with tons of options out there. With everything, it comes down to what you want to do with the kit. Are we talking about packs for the range, school, office, trail, BoB, etc? For backpacking, I'm a huge fan of Osprey and think they make some really great packs for all styles of backpacking and camping. Personally I'm rocking the Exos 48 and think it is the perfect pack for a few days on the trail based on capacity and weight. I have an Arcteryx Axios 50 that I can't get rid of as I'm a bit of an Arcteyx snob. It is great, but the Osprey crushes it in the weight department without compromising capability. For hunting and/or tactical, all depending on the scenario, I would probably pull out the Arcteryx Khard 45 in Wolf. Super rugged and has a high cool factor :cool: Otherwise as the last post states...just get outside and use your kit and see what you like or don't like.

Gregory234
11-21-20, 11:41
Great info. Thanks for sharing this info, guys! I should say, it is important to choose a good backpack. I've recently found a review of the solar backpacks on one hunting site (https://under-the-open-sky.com/). They seem to very convenient and helpful when camping, traveling, hunting, etc. Their solar panels can charge not only phones and players but also support many hours of work on tablets and laptops. Also, they are thought up from the ergonomic point of view. I'm thinking about buying a Voltaic SystemsArray Rapid solar backpack. Maybe someone has already tried such a backpack. It would be great to learn from the experience of others.

91Bravo
11-21-20, 17:13
Leave the electronics at home. Only a camera or maybe a gps. That’s all. If you want to get away from it all don’t take it all with you.

rdcwannabe
12-09-20, 11:05
Great info. Thanks for sharing this info, guys! I should say, it is important to choose a good backpack. I've recently found a review of the solar backpacks on one outdoor site. They seem to very convenient and helpful when camping, traveling, hunting, etc. Their solar panels can charge not only phones and players but also support many hours of work on tablets and laptops. Also, they are thought up from the ergonomic point of view. I'm thinking about buying a Voltaic SystemsArray Rapid solar backpack. Maybe someone has already tried such a backpack. It would be great to learn from the experience of others.

Does this mean they have the capacity to run solar panels in order to power small devices?

Beinglis23
12-27-20, 10:12
Yes it has 10 Watt / 18 Volt ETFE Panel with 24,000mAh battery It is one of best day pack for hunting and camping (https://plansoutdoor.com/best-hunting-day-packs/).

AOTAC
05-28-21, 21:40
I fell in love with Osprey because the mesh backing allowed airflow to my back. They're not the heaviest duty packs out there but mine lasted across continents and I believe they have decent warranties. I don't believe they're made in the USA, which is now somewhat of a deal breaker for me.