PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rods

parishioner
12-16-09, 15:04
Girlfriend wants to get me a Christmas present and we agreed not to spend over $50. I've been needing a new cleaning rod so I told her to get me that. Right now I'm using a cheap hoppes 3-piece rod that I don't care for. I've heard good things about the Dewey coated rods but I've also heard that the coating can come off so others recommend carbon fiber rods.

What are some of your recommendations for a cleaning rod?

And also, how important is a bore guide?

Thanks

RPD03
12-16-09, 15:47
I use the Dewey rods for all my long guns and have never had a problem with the coating comming off. I also use a bore guide not sure how important they are but have always used one.

Artos
12-16-09, 17:17
I prefer ss....pro-shot makes a good rod.

The best rod in the world isn't much help w/out a good boreguide. Get the Lucas.

8200rpm
12-16-09, 17:37
I used to have a Dewey. I bought a Tipton carbon fiber rod from Midway. Got rid of the Dewey and bought another Tipton.

One thing I didn't like about the Dewey was that the coating would wear off on the tip. Then, it's just bare steel rubbing into the chamber and throat. The Tipton rods are carbon fiber so there is no coating to rub off or steel to worry about.

Iraqgunz
12-16-09, 20:54
Unless you are shooting some type of precision rifle I fail to see why a bore guide is necessary. I use a Dewey stainless rod on all of my rifles/ carbines and have no problems at all. But, I also use old school USGI rods as well.

Artos
12-16-09, 21:11
Unless you are shooting some type of precision rifle I fail to see why a bore guide is necessary. I use a Dewey stainless rod on all of my rifles/ carbines and have no problems at all. But, I also use old school USGI rods as well.

hard to go back if you started in benchrest....it makes me cringe to think of sticking a rod in w/out one. Even for a battle rifle, i gotta save every last spec of accuracy.

if you ever get a chance to try the lucas, you will like it....saves clean up and keeps solvent where you want it.;)

JStor
12-17-09, 09:52
Agree on the Lucas. They are great and specifically bored for use with Dewey rods. Also each Lucas is machined for a specific action. I'm with Artos in that I really like to have one in use while cleaning at home. In the field I could use the jointed rod to get the job done, but carefully...carefully.

tracker722
12-17-09, 11:26

M4Fundi
12-17-09, 14:39
I'm looking for a Dewey or Pro Shot Rod to go in the M4 case. What would be the shortest length rod that would work properly with a 14.5 in barreled M4?

Col_Crocs
12-17-09, 18:21
For non precision rifles, I too see no harm in not using a boreguide especially with coated and aluminum rods but has anyone ever tried using the carrier as one?
I understand it's loose but again, for a battle rifle, would this be beneficial simply for proper rod entry?

GMZ
12-17-09, 18:55
For non precision rifles, I too see no harm in not using a boreguide especially with coated and aluminum rods but has anyone ever tried using the carrier as one?
I understand it's loose but again, for a battle rifle, would this be beneficial simply for proper rod entry?

Thats genius, field expedient

Artos
12-17-09, 20:22

It certainly helps some and many use that method.

I don't want to get into the coated / non coated deal but if you are NOT going to use a guide and want to try and save your battle rifle's throat and crown, use a steel rod, go slow and stop the push as soon as the patch and/or brush clears the muzzle (break).

Please use a jag and never pull a dirty patch back through the bore...just sayin.

The lucas guide will convert your current cleaning routine and makes it faster as you can be sloppy and keep everything in line. Be sure to get the 22cal guide insert. (for those that shoot 6.8 & up and use a .270 cleaning rod, get the .270 insert for your guide)

gamo
12-21-09, 03:55
Where's a good place to get the dewey/lucas combo? Or direct from the sources?

herd48
12-21-09, 11:15
I use Dewey and Tipton. I probably like the Tipton a little more. Although I use a Dewey for my AR's.

Artos
12-21-09, 13:01
Where's a good place to get the dewey/lucas combo? Or direct from the sources?

you will have to contact Mike directly for the guide...pm sent. If this is your first one, be sure and get the .22cal rod insert. I personally like the non-solvent port model.

the dewey you can get online or at any good sporting goods store. the steel proshot will work just as good.

MRevolutionIX
12-21-09, 20:17
I use Dewey rods.

ssgjason
12-21-09, 21:40
I have a stainless rod but only use it rarely. I am probably gonna get flamed but I use a boresnake all the time. I put alittle BC10 on it and run it thru about two times.