PDA

View Full Version : Found this to supplement training with my newfangled HK USP45!?!?

BLACK LION
12-16-09, 16:04
Some of you know I recently accquired a Full size USP 45. I have had one training session with it since and I actually found it to be more reliable with reloads than my XD... The sight set up is different than what I have become "used to" lately but I still made good hits on the paper plates I was using. I was even able to make some good 60+ meter hits as well. All hits were within the torso area (not all in the plates) at variable distances and body dynamics.
I did OK but I really need to spend some time behind this thing. One reason I purchased it was the availability of airsoft replicas for the USP, one of which I already own. However, there are things that do not move on my airsoft replica that I feel should, in order to be more "practical" or "realistic".
I recently stumpled on one of these = http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ENt7-qjbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
At a local BIG5 and it seems like its about as close as it gets without going to simunitions.
It a bb/pellet pistol which should work pretty good for training around the home and what not. I was ablew to handle one and everything that I want to move does. It even has "realistic" blowback... Now if I could just get my hands on some extra mags... ;)

Any opinions???

Volucris
12-16-09, 18:52
Why are you not just shooting the real thing?

Mate
12-17-09, 00:56
Because us normal folk arent made of money?

I mean, if you want to send some .45 my way I wouldnt complain. I've got a Vickers/Nighthawk I'd like to shoot a little more.

SWATcop556
12-17-09, 03:15

Simunitions/Airsoft due provide a useful training tool as long as you don't completely replace actual training. With the cost of ammo these day (though it has improved) I would rather shoot 100 live rounds and work on reloads and transitions with a replica than just shoot 100 rds.

I personally prefer dry fire for non range training and keep the simunitions/airsoft for force on force training.

For the OP, if you like it and it aids in your training needs then use it.

John_Wayne777
12-17-09, 06:59
If used properly airsoft can help you develop some skills that are useful when transitioning to the real thing. I'm getting a gas-powered M&P to work specifically on my draw and press-out...trying to increase the speed at which I pick up the sights and trying to ingrain finding the front sight as I'm pushing out toward the target rather than finding it after I'm at full extension.

Obviously some skills like recoil control and perfecting your grip for optimal speed aren't really going to translate well to an airsoft gun.

I've even seen people set up little airsoft ranges using small targets and a shot timer to time drills and the like.

BLACK LION
12-17-09, 12:46

?????

I do shoot "the real thing" and just put a few hundred rounds through it this past sunday.
I dont know about you, but I am not made of money and .45 ammo is costly, even shooting reloads( which I am doing ) it comes to around 15.00 a box per 250 rounds. Likewise, I live in "the city" and cannot "shoot the real thing" unless I pay for indoor range time and factory ammo.
I only train with "the real thing" outside city limits now where I am free to do what I want. But, that requires 2 hours worth of driving plus set up and take down time. I work full time and have a 3 year old daughter so I get 4 days a month to really get some serious work done.

The purpose of this "replica" is to mitigate my down time and extend my training to a daily affair. I can of course, dry fire and manipulate the "real thing" but that does not get me shots on target nor does it "guage" my progression or lack there-of... With this, I can do Todd-Gs "dot torture" while I am making dinner....AND... I get about 1000 shots for around 8.00 if you include c02.

I can train more often and in a more practical manner(around the house) with this kit.

BLACK LION
12-17-09, 13:02
If used properly airsoft can help you develop some skills that are useful when transitioning to the real thing. I'm getting a gas-powered M&P to work specifically on my draw and press-out...trying to increase the speed at which I pick up the sights and trying to ingrain finding the front sight as I'm pushing out toward the target rather than finding it after I'm at full extension.

Obviously some skills like recoil control and perfecting your grip for optimal speed aren't really going to translate well to an airsoft gun.

I've even seen people set up little airsoft ranges using small targets and a shot timer to time drills and the like.

I agree, airsoft is a good aide and I use it more for FOF and unarmed "combatives" training since plastic bbs dont print on paper well. They are also considerably lighter and missing some key funtioning components.

I chose this because it is a full scale replica with all the key functioning components that weighs 2 lbs loaded and shoots metal bb or pellet projectiles at around 400-450 fps... @ 1-10yds this shouls suffice for general manipulation, transition and shot placement practice.

Thanks for the input guys.

loupav
12-17-09, 16:36
I love air soft guns. I had a really cool Beretta 92 that was gas powered. I'd shoot around the house all the time. One day I caught myself waving my G34 around like if it was the airsoft gun. I got rid of it that day, never looked back.