PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 or 27? (Not a caliber debate/question)

givo08
12-16-09, 18:02
I need to purchase a back up gun/off duty carry gun. I am not interested in having a debate on 9mm vs. .40 because I believe that shot placement is all that really matters between the two.

Here's my problem though, I shoot the G26 better. Shot placement is about the same with both, but follow up shot speed is faster with the 26. The 26 is also much more pleasant to shoot for 200-400 round range sessions so I would probably practice more with it. However, I carry a G22 on duty (plain clothes, not uniform), so mag interchangability would be ideal with the G27.

On duty, I would carry the G26/27 on the ankle as a backup, or on my raid vest as a back up. Obviously, in this situation the mag interchanging would be beneficial because I could carry just G22 backup mags.

Off duty, the G26/27 would often be the only firearm on my person. In this situation, I would prefer the increased shootability of the 9mm.

A G17/19 is not an option for a primary duty gun (not permitted). I have been going back and forth as to which one to get, and both isn't an option. What are everyone's thoughts?

TEXAS_GLOCKER
12-16-09, 18:15
If all you can use for duty is the .40, I would go th 27 route, I carry one and I shoot it better than a 23. The double sprind is what makes the diff I think. With what you carry for duty ,it makes since to go with the 27 for compatability. Im not a professional but thats my .02. Good luck, and stay safe.

woodandsteel
12-16-09, 18:33
Go with the Glock 27. You can share mags and ammo with your friends.

At my department, if you carry a back up or off duty weapon in .40 S&W (the same caliber as our Duty Glocks), the department will supply you with duty and practice ammo.

Business_Casual
12-16-09, 18:51
I'm not a cop and by no means an expert, but has anyone experienced or know of a situation where magazine compatibility, outside a true combat situation (and that would be carbines/rifles), was actually exploited?

I'm wondering if it is one of those "sacred cows" of shooters.

M_P

givo08
12-16-09, 19:05
I'm not a cop and by no means an expert, but has anyone experienced or know of a situation where magazine compatibility, outside a true combat situation (and that would be carbines/rifles), was actually exploited?

M_P

That's kind of what I was thinking, and hence the post to ask for input. If I'm using the G27 on my raid vest, that means I've transitioned from the MP5 or shotgun to a handgun, and then transitioned from the G22 to the G27, and finally am needing to reload the G27 with G22 mags...To me this seems pretty unlikely. Likewise, if I was carrying it on duty, I would have had to ditch my primary, draw my secondary, and have a need to reload the secondary.

I know the gun community likes to prepare for every last possible scenario, but it seems like a rare situation to prepare for to make it worth giving up the increased shootability of the G26, which at times will be the only gun I have with me.

bkb0000
12-16-09, 19:33
sacred cow, for sure... but why not be prepared for it anyway? you say you shoot the 26 better, but do you not shoot the 27 perfectly adequate? caliber consolidation is an easy way to nix one more unecessary complication. might save your ass in this, or another way, someday.

HD1911
12-16-09, 19:43
sacred cow, for sure... but why not be prepared for it anyway? you say you shoot the 26 better, but do you not shoot the 27 perfectly adequate? caliber consolidation is an easy way to nix one more unecessary complication. might save your ass in this, or another way, someday.

good advice

M4arc
12-16-09, 19:43

M_P

When I think of magazine compatibility I think of being able to carry a G22/23 mag as a backup instead of a G27 mag. For instance, one of the moderators here carries a G19 magazine as his spare mag when he carries his G26 off duty. That way he never has to worry about what mag he has because it's always the same both on and off duty.

In addition its kind of a pain in the ass having mags from various guns AND calibers. If you already own spare 40 cal mags and have a supply of ammo then it makes sense from a money and accessory standpoint to stick with 40 cal.

At least my take. I never understood it as a "battle field pickup" debate before.

ST911
12-16-09, 20:45
My primary and BUGs are 40SW, G23s and G27s. When 40SW isn't free anymore, they'll be G19s and G26s. Compatibility is a goal and a bonus, but lack thereof isn't a dealbreaker.

I'd go with a 27 and practice to get your rhythms and splits where you want them. You can always trade a G27 for a G26 sometime down the road.

John_Wayne777
12-16-09, 20:47
A G17/19 is not an option for a primary duty gun (not permitted). I have been going back and forth as to which one to get, and both isn't an option. What are everyone's thoughts?

If you're issued a .40 caliber Glock (hopefully one that works) then the G27 makes more sense. (Again, assuming one that works)

Dan Goodwin
12-16-09, 22:25
Not sure why you're carrying two handguns for backups to a long gun? Are you talking about on patrol or on a warrant service? Things have really gone bad if you've shot your long gun dry AND G22 to slide lock, do a NY Reload instead of a combat reload; then you have to reload the G27 when it runs dry?

That will be an extended affray.

Any ways, I would advise carrying a G27 on duty and a G26 off duty. Get one each.

The G26 holds more rounds in both standard and 19/17 mags, it kicks much less and is more mild in blast...therefore easier to hit with. It is also cheaper to practice with and the skills will translate directly to the 27.

Glock mags can be hard to keep straight if you have different calibers. The paint pen is your friend.

Lately I have been advising new officers and CCW hopefuls to give a hard look at the G26. Been carrying personal and issued G27s since late '95, but I will get hold of a 26 this year for the reasons listed above.

ToddG
12-16-09, 23:30
I find the G26 substantially easier to shoot, but if I were carrying a G22 as a primary, I'd use the G27 as my backup. It means all of your spare primary mags will also serve as spare backup mags. Hard to argue against that.

glocktogo
12-17-09, 00:18
I find the G26 substantially easier to shoot, but if I were carrying a G22 as a primary, I'd use the G27 as my backup. It means all of your spare primary mags will also serve as spare backup mags. Hard to argue against that.

Same here.

One consideration since you mentioned the ankle rig is weight difference loaded. The G-26 will weigh less with 11 rounds of 115 +P+ than a 27 with 10 rounds of 165gr.

1oldgrunt
12-17-09, 05:47
OK you're LE so you know what an adrenalin "dump" is all about. Hopefully you've studied up on the effects of being in a shootout, auditory oclussion, etc.

That said, yes it ( the 40), may be miserable to practice with but once that adrenalin kicks in you won't notice the whip or the blast. So what you experience in practice is not what you'll experience when you need it.

If you don't reload practice with Federal Am Eagle 165's they are about the lightest kicking factory loadin a 40.

I know some will chime in about practicing with full power loads. But again real world experience is that it in no way will reflect what you will feel in a real shootout so why beat yourself up practicing with full power loads??

Best of luck in your endeavor, stay safe.

edited in "easier to hit with", only applies at the range, the real world is a whole lot different.

M4arc
12-17-09, 08:06
Just an FYI Summit Gun Broker has G27s for $415: http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_27_NS.html

Of course you could probably get it for slightly cheaper through the LE program but thought I'd mention it.

Detmongo
12-17-09, 09:15
givo,
i would go with the 27 for reasons already stated. also think of it this way the dept. will or should provide ammo in .40 cal. and the dept. should support the 27 with parts should replacements need to be made.

Chameleox
12-17-09, 10:50

Reloads aren't only for running out of ammo.
If in an on duty incident, you are deprived of your handgun, and forced to resort to a shot with your backup gun, you might suffer a malfunction with your backup that MIGHT necessitate stripping a magazine. I'm thinking some sort of double feed or magazine related malfunction here, where as part of clearing it, you have to dump the mag and reload with a fresh one. Ammo and magazine commonality would be a plus here.
Not likely, I know, and I know of no incidents like this, but worth thinking about.
FWIW, I carry a G22 and 27 on duty.

PS: The variables of combat induced stress and pistol shooting are such that I wouldn't venture a guess as to how one would experience recoil, if at all. Having said that, my duty load is 180gr Winchester Ranger, so I use Winchester White Box 180gr. Velocity and energy at muzzle seem pretty close, and I can easily get it from the store or the department range. Having a practice load similar to your duty/carry load also reinforces proper grip and stance, so you're not used to holding with a light grip (anticipating light recoil from your range sessions), and end up with the gun snatched out of your hand (by recoil or badguy) because you have no grip. One less variable to worry about.
My $0.02

Wes1977
12-17-09, 11:36
I bought my 26 because i'm under the assumption that most Kabooms came from the G27.

ToddG
12-17-09, 13:58
Feeling recoil under stress and having your speed & accuracy affected by recoil are two totally different things.

You might not have brain cells to spare on "wow that kicks!" but it's still kicking, still flipping, and either you've gone cyclic and started putting rounds all over the place or you're still limited by how fast you can get the gun down and on target.

givo08
12-17-09, 22:03
Ammo is not a concern for either. We issue 9mm and .40, so I have a "free" supply of both.

I am still not completely convinced that the mag compatibility between the G22 and the G27 are worth giving up how much easier it is to shoot the G26. I may have the option to transition to another issued full size weapon in the future (possibly G21), so then mag compatibility goes out the window with either subcompact. I don't find it very easy to carry a G30 on my ankle either, and this gun will be an ankle gun while I'm working, and a hip gun off duty.

automan
12-18-09, 12:12
Go with the 27. You carry a 22 on duty. Magazine and ammo interchangeability simplified. Use the KISS principle. Simpler is better, especially when the SHTF and you need to react, not think which mag is which if you're carrying two mags of different calibers but both can fit into the same pistol.

Vash1023
12-18-09, 13:15

M_P

North hollywood shootout.

baretta mags were shared.