PDA

View Full Version : thinking about an Aimpoint Micro H1, have a few questions

lebowski
12-16-09, 21:18
I'm about ready to mount an optic to my DDM4. I've had the gun for about 6 months (first and only AR) and I've been using just the irons thus far, wanted to learn the basics w/ irons before moving forward.

Ideally, I'd like this gun to be a CQB to ~200m gun. I just use it for plinking now, but it could eventually replace my 870 as my bedside/HD gun. I have a white light (Streamlight TLR-1) mounted on the rail, but that is and will remain the only accessory other than the optic and the vertical foregrip that came on the DDM4 (I'd like to keep it clean, simple, and lightweight). I plan to run the optic in conjunction with the irons that came on the DDM4.

First question - what do you guys think of my choice of the Micro H1 for this role? How fast is target acquisition of the Micro line of Aimpoints? Is there anything else I should be considering? Do the larger Aimpoints (ML3? C3?) have faster target acquisition or other benefits that I'm missing?

My primary questions concern mounting the optic:

I have the iron sights that came on the DDM4 (not the flip up variety, they are permanently up both front and rear). I'm guessing the ideal setup is to have the irons co-witness on the bottom 1/3 of the optic? Is this thinking correct? The Aimpoint Micros look pretty small, and I haven't handled them in person, so I was wondering if it isn't so small that the irons disrupt the sight picture through the optic?

Assuming this setup (bottom 1/3 co-witness), what mount should I use? Ideally, I'd like QD. Are the Larue QD mounts adjustable so you can adjust where the irons co-witness within the optic, or is it a fixed location?

Finally - where's the best place to buy Aimpoint optics (and larue? mounts) now to get the best deal?

TOrrock
12-16-09, 22:01
I think that it would be a great choice for what you're looking to do with it.

The Micro Aimpoints are excellent optics, and I haven't noticed a degradation of sight picture or target aquisition with one vs. the older, larger Aimpoints.

I've used a T-1 in classes out to 200 yards, making hits on a reduced steel "C" zone steel plate, with no issues. Any misses were my fault, not the optic's.

As far as a mount goes, I'd not worry about quick detachment capability.....if it fails, you just look through it and use the irons.

I have my T-1 mounted on one of my AK's using an Ultimak mount and I get a permanent co-witness in the lower 1/3rd of the optic.

Daniel Defense has a mount that really is the cat's ass when it comes to mounting a Micro Aimpoint on a carbine.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32014&highlight=daniel+defense

Hope that helps.

lebowski
12-16-09, 22:13
Thanks.

Now that I'm pricing them more closely, it looks like the CompC3 is quite a bit cheaper than the Micro H1. Any pros/cons of one or the other other than size or weight?

I do like that DD mount for the micros.

TOrrock
12-16-09, 22:16
Nothing at all wrong with the C3, it will certainly serve you well.

The Micro's are nice because of the reduced weight and bulk but the older M2/M3/C3 series aren't obsolete just because there's a new shiny out there.

SeriousStudent
12-16-09, 22:41
I have both the DD mount Templar referred with an H-1, and a C3.

One of the dealers on this site has a very good deal on a C3 package:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APC3AD68

That's a pretty nice price on the combination. I have it mount on a TacSol dedicated .22 upper running on a Charles Daly lower. It's been excellent.

Grant will also sell you a H-1 with an American Defense QD mount, if you desire. I have one of these as well:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APH1ADMICRO

I have that on a LMT Defender, and have the same DD fixed rear you do. It works well with the lower third co-witness. I'm left-eye dominant, so I'm running it left-handed as an experiment.

Templar's advice is golden, especially on AK's or optics. And Grant will give you the hook-up as well. :)

If you do not leap off the back ramp of a C-130 for a living, an H-1 is a great choice. I own two. And a C3 with an American Defense mount is a terrific choice for the budget-conscious.

lebowski
12-17-09, 06:41
Thanks.

Does that C3 included mount co-witness in the lower 1/3 with the "standard" height?

Palmguy
12-17-09, 07:28
Thanks.

Does that C3 included mount co-witness in the lower 1/3 with the "standard" height?

ADM "Standard" height gives an absolute cowitness with your setup. The "High" mount will give lower-1/3.

Can't go wrong with either the H1 or the C3; I personally chose the H1 over the C3 for my new middy (I'm also using the same DD fixed rear sight that you have).

Littlelebowski
12-17-09, 07:45
Can't go wrong with the H1 or the C3. I've had my H1 on since Nov 07 on my 5.45 AR.

Also, I dig your handle, dude :D

lebowski
12-17-09, 08:29
I thought I read somewhere that the compc3 came with a mount, or maybe I'm thinking of a reference to Grant's combo? If it comes with a mount, how does that compare with the American Defense in the package?

What do you guys think about 2MOA vs. 4MOA?

I like both, but at this point leaning towards the C3 because of price. Any material advantages/disadvantages other than the size/weight difference?

350_eight08
12-17-09, 10:48
I own both the H-1 on a ADM 1/3 co-witness, and a C3 in a Larue 1/3 co-witness. If the dot size matters to you, at least the C3 comes in a 2moa dot and to me the dot is cleaner (meaning more round and sharp in shape, but thats just me being picky). You cant go wrong with either one or them!

By the way, both Aimpoints were purchased as Grant's packages! You cant beat G&R for those.

lebowski
12-17-09, 10:52
Thanks for the input guys.

Ended up going for (well ... asking for xmas :) so we'll see) the CompC3 + American Defense package from Grants. Seems like too good a deal to pass up. Chose the High mount (lower 1/3) and 2MOA dot (that's all he has in stock ... but I think that's what I'd prefer anyway).

Thanks a lot for the help. I realize most of this has been covered before and I did use the search feature, but it helps to have some hand holding on a decision like this.

SeriousStudent
12-17-09, 22:20
Nice choice. That was what I bought, and where I bought it from.

Very fast and easy to use. Plus, if you wish to add a Aimpoint 3x magnifier, it drops right in behind it.

steve-oh
12-18-09, 10:16
Good choice, can't go wrong. Also... stay out of Malibu, Lebowski.

lebowski
12-27-09, 09:18
Thanks for the help, guys.

My dad ordered me the CompC3 with mount package from G&R for xmas (I got him a Beretta 92FS), and I'm not sure if Grant was out of stock of the C3 or what, but he upgraded me to the ML3 w/ mount for no extra charge. Pretty good deal! I haven't taken it to the range yet (hopefully this week), but it looks like a great setup. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

sundance435
12-28-09, 23:58
Does the rubber cover for the M/ML series fit on the C3?

Alaskapopo
12-29-09, 00:59
I'm about ready to mount an optic to my DDM4. I've had the gun for about 6 months (first and only AR) and I've been using just the irons thus far, wanted to learn the basics w/ irons before moving forward.

Ideally, I'd like this gun to be a CQB to ~200m gun. I just use it for plinking now, but it could eventually replace my 870 as my bedside/HD gun. I have a white light (Streamlight TLR-1) mounted on the rail, but that is and will remain the only accessory other than the optic and the vertical foregrip that came on the DDM4 (I'd like to keep it clean, simple, and lightweight). I plan to run the optic in conjunction with the irons that came on the DDM4.

First question - what do you guys think of my choice of the Micro H1 for this role? How fast is target acquisition of the Micro line of Aimpoints? Is there anything else I should be considering? Do the larger Aimpoints (ML3? C3?) have faster target acquisition or other benefits that I'm missing?

My primary questions concern mounting the optic:

I have the iron sights that came on the DDM4 (not the flip up variety, they are permanently up both front and rear). I'm guessing the ideal setup is to have the irons co-witness on the bottom 1/3 of the optic? Is this thinking correct? The Aimpoint Micros look pretty small, and I haven't handled them in person, so I was wondering if it isn't so small that the irons disrupt the sight picture through the optic?

Assuming this setup (bottom 1/3 co-witness), what mount should I use? Ideally, I'd like QD. Are the Larue QD mounts adjustable so you can adjust where the irons co-witness within the optic, or is it a fixed location?

Finally - where's the best place to buy Aimpoint optics (and larue? mounts) now to get the best deal?
I think the Aimpoint T1 or H1 is an excellent choice for what you want. I like my T1. I use it as a primary optic inside of 25 yards and my ACOG TA33 as my primary past that. You could do just fine however with just the Aimpoint.
Pat

Schuey2002
12-31-09, 03:14
Does the rubber cover for the M/ML series fit on the C3?
Yes, it will...

RUSKI
12-31-09, 05:39
It seems like you are set on the Aimpoints.
I have run a Vortex Strikefire aimpoint knockoff w/ high mount, and a EOTech 552 on my build. I was able to get a lower 1/3 co witness with the Vortex, and a near center co witness with my 552. My irons are a YHM front flip up gas block and MI rear flip up. My sight picture was far better with the EOTech co witness. The housing on the Vortex restricted my view quit a bit.
Just something to consider.