PDA

View Full Version : pros/cons beretta/sig?

jmoore
12-16-09, 22:08
After 4 decades of shooting 1911s (which I still continue to shoot) - I've started exploring the world of the wonder nines:)

So far I've found that while the M&P "feels" great in my hand - I personally cannot make the thing shoot where I want it too. I've come a long way since starting - and have cut groups in half, but it still won't shoot inside of 3" at 7 yards - at least not in my hands!

The Glock 17 is another story. Yes - still getting used to the trigger - but it at least has a decent reset (unlike the M&P). It'll shoot 1-2" at 7 yards. (I should say my vision is lousy after the detached retina and surgery.:)

For comparison - all of my springfields - including the new mil-spec - will chew holes at 7 yards. (Again - that is THE platform/trigger I am used to.)

So............. I'm still having fun, still shooting a lot, and still wanting to explore another platform. I think I have my next purchase down to either a Sig or Beretta.

For those who shoot both, could I please have some feedback in terms of things like first shot hits, ease of DA-SA transition, stock sights, reliability (think I know what I'll hear on that one - both good:), durability, mags (ease of getting, cost, etc.)

Any & all input greatly appreciated!

TIA

john

Volucris
12-16-09, 23:19
I enjoy Beretta 9--- pistols and I enjoy the M&P line as well. It seems that you're just far too accustomed to a single platform and are expecting too much by thinking skill with one pistol will transfer to another. You just have to practice a lot. I'm not sure how you can be managing to pull such bleh groups at 7 yards of all distances. It's definitely not the gun's fault. Ge some glasses/lasik surgery/whatever and practice. Glock 17, Beretta 92 type, M&P, CZ 9mm pistols, etc, they're all pretty damn good pistols. Actually I find the CZ 75B to be closest to the 1911 in terms of ergonomics.

Of all those pistols that I've shot, I prefer the CZs, M&P, and Berettas. I have big mits and like a good wide double stack grip. Gotta have some fat Hogues on a 1911 for me to do good.

Between a Sig and a Beretta I would defiantly choose the Beretta. Their newest 90-two looks great. I'm used to the 92/96 so it may be a tad different. But for the cost it's a better looking deal to me than the Sig. Sig's are stupid expensive for no apparent reason and I don't appreciate the current state of the company.

ToddG
12-16-09, 23:25
As someone who has worked for both companies, been sponsored as a competitive shooter for both companies, and put literally hundreds of thousands of rounds through Berettas and SIGs... I'd be hard pressed to choose one from the other unless size was an issue. If you need a smaller, more concealable gun then it's SIG hands down.

But if it were between, say, a 92G Vertec and a SIG P226R ... Seriously, they're more similar than different. Setting aside any QC/lemon issues, they're both going to be very reliable. The SIG probably has the edge in durability, but that should only be a concern if you expect the gun to go past 20k or so.

The SIG is easier to reassemble. The "G configuration Beretta slides, in particular, require three hands to get back together.