PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tactical Level I Carbine/Pistol 28-29 Dec. 09

TOrrock
12-17-09, 19:27
Vickers Tactical Level I Carbine / Pistol - Dec. 28-29, 2009, Lewisberry, PA.

Level I Carbine / Pistol With Nightfire:

Carbine I - Introductory Level: Topics covered include basic carbine topics and the following: malfunction drills and shooting on the move as well as transitions, barricade Drills. Introduction to timed fire drills and evaluations based on class skill level. There will be a low light block of instruction.

Instructor: Larry Vickers

Cost: $450 including Range Fee.

Class Dates: Dec. 28-29, 2009
Show time is 8:15 A.M.

Location: The West Shore Sportsmen’s Assoc. - Lewisberry, PA.

Accommodations: Contact me for assistance with this, or any other logistical issues. LAVCLASS2009@aol.com

Class Requirements:

- Eye and Protection (Electronic Type highly Recommended)
-Serviceable duty grade carbine- Typical calibers include 9MM, .45 ACP, 30 CAl, 5.56MM, 7.62X39MM, WITH WEAPON LIGHT Etc.
-Serviceable Handgun of at least 9MM caliber (For Transition Training)
-Serviceable Sling- suitable for a variety of shooting positions- Tactical type preferred
-Minimum of 1 Carbine mag pouch- or method to carry spare mags
-Minimum 1 handgun magazine pouch- Ability to carry a spare mag on your person
-minimum of 3 serviceable pistol mags
- Handheld White Light
-Ammo: 600 Carbine / 600 Pistol
-Zeroed Weapons: 100 Yard preferred, others acceptable if you have a good reason why and understand it. Know your handguns zero at various ranges.
-Suitable range wear for Dec. We shoot no matter the weather.
-Good attitude

To Register, Contact the Class Host at: LAVCLASS2009@aol.com

VA_Dinger
12-17-09, 19:49
Looks like a great class for our NE region members.

30 cal slut
12-17-09, 20:17
Hope you don't mind ... I posted this over @ TOS PA HTF as well as PAFOA.org

Larry Vickers
12-21-09, 21:50
Guys this the last time this year to get in a training class

A special 2 day pistol/carbine which I don't do very often

looking forward to it and I am sure it will be a helluva class

see ya there

LAV

R1pper
12-22-09, 10:36
Trying like hell to make it, but I dont know. Im sure this is going to be an amazing class. Thank you Mr Vickers for putting this incredible opportunity together. Hopefully if the moon and the stars all align I will be there

-DM-

BiggLee71
12-23-09, 19:32
Cant wait. Remember, guys who are attending, dress accordingly!! Nightfire should be fun as well. :D

Joe R.
12-24-09, 19:42
Night time temps into the 20s are the norm right now here in PA. Dress warm and have fun!

Rider79
12-25-09, 06:09
Argh! I wish I saw this, woulda changed my vacation plans to take this class. I used to belong to this range, I was just there the Sunday after Thanksgiving with my old instructor, Brian McKay. This is an awesome range, I'm sure the class will be great. :(

BiggLee71
12-29-09, 20:29
Just walked in the door. I'm sure Larry is still on an airplane right now! We had a really good time at a great range. It was colder than a witches tit in a steel bra but that just added another dimension to the training. Nightfire was awesome in the sub-freezing temps partly because we had a good amount of ambient light due to clear skies, full moon and snow on alot of the terrain. I am soo tired, gonna hit the rack!!!

Heavy Metal
12-29-09, 22:51
On the bright side, I bet overheated weapons and popped primers were much less of an issue:D

BiggLee71
12-31-09, 02:20
On the bright side, I bet overheated weapons and popped primers were much less of an issue:D

Lol, true my friend!! ;). The environment truly added an extra training dynamic. We all had a great time. Alot of learning but in a safe, fun atmoshpere ,(SC??).

It was freezing balls out day and especially at night. Looking foward to future classes.

30 cal slut
01-01-10, 17:04
WHERE IS THE HARTFORD HORSEY EYE CANDY?!!!!!

:D

Heavy Metal
01-01-10, 17:38
What? Is Sarah Jessica Parker from Hartford or something?

30 cal slut
01-02-10, 10:11

LOL

HiLow64Imp
01-03-10, 21:47
lets see some pictures!

m4fun
01-04-10, 22:39
Yea - what am I missing here - where is the AAR and pics?

Bantee
01-04-10, 23:36
What? Is Sarah Jessica Parker from Hartford or something?

LMFAO! Now cleaning nose coffee off of laptop! Thanks HM.:D

GermanSynergy
01-05-10, 17:19
Yea - what am I missing here - where is the AAR and pics?

Hello everyone, I attended this outstanding class last week and have several pics of me with Colt's IAR as well as the SCW.

I'm going to plug away on my AAR and post pics within the next day or so. Many thanks to Mr.Vickers for a superb course. I was so impressed I just signed up for the AK operator class in NC in May. :)

Heavy Metal
01-05-10, 22:06
LMFAO! Now cleaning nose coffee off of laptop! Thanks HM.:D

There is an inside joke there between me and .30calslut. If you understood, it would be even funnier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0pQPq7LR0A

GermanSynergy
01-08-10, 19:03
As promised, here is my AAR for the class. My apologies for not having posted it sooner, but it has been a hectic holiday season!

AAR for Larry Vickers Pistol-Rifle I, 28 – 29 December 2009

I had the distinct honor and privilege to train with Mr. Vickers on the above date, and wish to convey my sincere thanks to him as well as those that made the last minute change of venue to the WSSA possible.

My Gear:
Primary weapon- MSTN built upper with a 16” Noveske light Recon barrel, KAC’s excellent QD comp, and Daniel Defense FDE RIS. The bolt carrier group is diamond black coated, which made cleaning and lube up a snap. BUIS are Troy Industries FDE, with a 50 meter BZO. My accessories were an Insight 3rd Gen LT 3 light and a FDE KAC VFG.
Lower was a stock Colt 6920 lower with LMT SOPMOD stock in FDE. This was later changed out on day 2 for VLTOR’s FDE EMOD stock for better balance. There were no failures of any kind with this weapon, and many thanks to Wes Grant for building some superb kit!
Magazines were Magpul PMAGs, 2008 manufacture. I had no issues with these mags, and they were 100% reliable for me for the course.
My sling was a VTAC padded 2 point sling, and it was satisfactory for the purposes of the course.
My optic was a Nightforce 1-4x24 riding in a LaRue Tactical SPR mount, featuring an illuminated FC-2 reticle. This was also purchased from MSTN, and I can’t say enough good things about this optic combo. My only “complaint” would be the weight, but there is no free lunch in this world. This optic proved it’s worth when we were engaging distance targets out to 200 meters.
Secondary weapon- Glock 17, 3rd Gen, with Trijicon green night sights. It rode in a Safariland thigh rig for the duration of the course. No failures of any kind were encountered with this combination.
Chest rig- Eagle Industries Universal Chest Rig in Multicam.
Ammunition- For my carbine I was running 2009 manufacture Israel Military Industries M855. This ammo was totally reliable in terms of ignition, and shot very well from the Noveske tube (I zeroed it a few days before the course, and got excellent accuracy from it). As an added bonus, during night fire the flash signature was very low, no doubt thanks to flash retardant in the propellant mix.
For the Glock 17 I was running Federal American Eagle 124 grain ball.

Day 1: We assembled at the WSSA club house on the morning of 28 December for a range brief. I arrived early and met the other shooters. The class size was 16 personnel, and they comprised of mainly of NY LEOs and legally armed civilian enthusiasts. Mr. Vickers arrived promptly at the designated time and we began a roll call and a range safety brief. LAV was kind enough to furnish each student with a Vickers Tactical ball cap, two decal stickers and for those of us who were “Glocking” (I ran a stock Glock 17 3rd Gen for the course), LAV provided us with his superb magazine release. After the administrative details were wrapped up, we all made our way to the range itself, a few hundred yards away.
The weather was quite cold (about 15 to 22 degrees Fahrenheit when wind chill was factored in), and initially we had some issues with wind blowing targets away. This was remedied with some jury rigging of targets to keep them in place. The handgun composition was interesting- some Glocks in various calibers, two DAK SIG P229s, a HK USP 45, M&P 9 and a Nighthawk CQB 1911. The morning was all pistol work, with the emphasis placed on accuracy and trigger control. Those shooters looking to blast off thousands of rounds will probably not like this course. Accuracy, form and stance/trigger manipulation were the focus of the morning.
At around noon we broke for lunch, and the class headed to a local Italian pizzeria. This was a welcome reprieve from the cold and wind, and it gave students a chance to chat and meet one another.
After lunch we broke out our carbines and went to work. There were some dept issued SBRs in the class (mostly Bushmasters), a lone NY compliant SIG 556 (sans muzzle device) and a lone AK-74. There was one KAC SR-15E3, and LAV ran the outstanding DD M-4 middy. Optics were EOTECH and several AIMPOINT models. There was also a Colt rep there running an IAR with an ELCAN Specter optic. We began by establishing a 100 meter zero on our carbines, and went on to some basic drills. Again, the emphasis was accuracy and shot placement. We fired from standing as well as prone. At about 1700 we broke for dinner, and we all went to a nearby Cracker Barrel for a much needed break from the wind.
After dinner, we returned to the range and began night fire training. LAV shared his theories and demonstrated techniques with handgun and rifle. We had a full moon, and a lot of ambient light from the snow, so visibility was not much of an issue. Those that were firing duty/personal defense ammo got to see the flash signature of their respective loads in low light. The gentleman shooting the NY compliant SIG 556 lit up the night sky with every round touched off, due to no muzzle device J At about 2030 we called it quits, cleared weapons and departed the range.

Day 2- We arrived at about 0800 for range safety brief and got to work doing pistol and carbine work. Emphasis for day 2 was shooting on the move, reloads with primary and secondary weapons systems, and barricade drills. This time we were divided into 3 teams, and began some friendly competitions. Among the drills were barricade drills, shooting on the move and hitting the 200 yard gong, standing from strong and weak shoulders with the carbine. The shooter using the AK-74 scored a first round hit on the gong, using iron sights, while those employing other systems had a little bit more difficulty.

As we wrapped up Day 2, I had the chance to test fire Colt’s IAR (Infantry Automatic Rifle). I fired several 30 rd mags from it, and had zero issues. I didn’t really care for the “busy” reticle of the ELCAN Specter, but I’m sure end users will employ the appropriate optic in accordance with their mission needs.

All in all, this was an outstanding class, and well worth the price of admission. All of the material was presented in clear terms, and the students were all very motivated to learn. If you ever have the chance to train with LAV, don’t hesitate to sign up. I’m already signed up for the AK operator’s class in May, and it gives me an excuse to buy a new AK-74 J
Thank you to Mr. Vickers for giving me the chance to train with you, and to John for being an awesome shooting partner in the pistol drills.

:D

GermanSynergy
01-08-10, 19:06
Here are a few more-

I apologize for not taking more pics of the course, and will do that next time. If you can't tell, it's COLD! ;)

MAP
01-08-10, 19:23
Looks like LAV is about to knock off a liquor store!

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3956&d=1262998805

jtb0311
01-10-10, 16:56
At about 1700 we broke for dinner, and we all went to a nearby Cracker Barrel for a much needed break from the wind.

Did Larry have Strawberry Shortcake for dessert? :D Nom nom.

BiggLee71
01-12-10, 00:31
I'm the good lookin guy in the pic!!

Mark71
01-12-10, 00:43
Wish I could have attended. Hopefully Larry Vickers will make it to the North East in 2010.

BiggLee71
01-12-10, 07:01
Wish I could have attended. Hopefully Larry Vickers will make it to the North East in 2010.

He will!!!!

RogerinTPA
01-12-10, 15:49
Looks like LAV is about to knock off a liquor store!

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3956&d=1262998805

No Doubt! His "signature" lets hug kittens look (Take the fukin picture already).:p

Stretz Tactical Inc
01-12-10, 23:51
No Doubt! His "signature" lets hug kittens look (Take the fukin picture already).:p

He might have been getting annoid at this point because like 4 or 5 of us asked for pictures one right after the other. LOL

GermanSynergy
02-01-10, 18:44
He might have been getting annoid at this point because like 4 or 5 of us asked for pictures one right after the other. LOL

Yea- gotta get our pics taken with "the man" :)