PDA

View Full Version : AR's and diminishing return

Long Ranger
12-17-09, 19:27
Is there a substantial enough quality/reliability difference between a Noveske N4 light carbine and a Colt 6920 to warrant a $400.00 - $500.00 cost spread?

I have read the product information for both rifles, and handled the Colt at a local shop. No contact with the Noveske. I wonder if this isn't a case, at least for me, that the difference is too marginal, and that the $400 would be better spent on ammunition.

Bona fide real world objective replies are greatly appreciated, subjective unsubstantiated replies, not so much. I'm also posting this on other sites as well.

Thanks
LR

seb5
12-17-09, 21:11
I currently own a Colt and a Noveske. I can't comment on the N4 but with the Recce I own I would say that the overall fit of everything is above most AR's I've owned over the years. I'm not talking about the color or the other such crap. I mean the way the rifle fits together. There is no play in anything that should be tight. The BCG is as slick as any AR series rifle I've ever owned. I liked it so much I bought another! I have owned many Colts over the years and have nothing bad to say about them. They generally work. If you want a long term hard use rifle either will work and work well. If you want the highest quality you can buy (IMHO) get a Noveske. There is something to be said about owning the finest piece of equipment there is, of that type. As a every day shooter I don't think you gain much in real usability by going high end. To me the Noveske is more in the semi custom realm than a rack grade shooter. Buy one now, save dollars, buy the other.

voodoo96743
12-17-09, 23:00
If you are looking at a $400-500 difference, you have to be looking at one of the Noveskes with a free float rail, Vltor stock, and Troy(?) flip up BUIS. The N4 Basic MSRP is in 6920 territory.

boltcatch
12-17-09, 23:57
For only $400-500, you might want to ask yourself - are you looking at it as possibly the last black rifle you'll be able to buy? That might shorten the decision making process.

I know a lot of people who do.

jp0319
12-18-09, 00:19
Noveske N4 light basic is $1495 from Noveske
Colt 6920 is $1250 DSG Arms, and SGC USA, $1499 from G&R, I have seen them closer to $1k but those are what I could pull off of the internet right now. So with these prices the biggest difference is closer to $200, if you factor in the CHF double chromed barrel of the Noveske, I's pay the extra for a Noveske, thats just me. I have never shot a Noveske, but have used Colts in the Military for 15 years.

JP

8200rpm
12-18-09, 00:25
A major difference between a 6920 and a N4 Light Carbine is the barrel. The N4 uses a cold hammer forged, M249 machine gun spec barrel with chrome lining that's almost double the thickness of the standard M4/M16. The N4 barrel is also 14.5" and has no M203 notch. The 6920 barrel is 16".

Additional features of the N4 include the Vltor stock, Troy rear BUIS, Noveske QD end plate, and the TD Battle Grip.

Whether these features are "worth" the extra $400 is your decision.

rob_s
12-18-09, 06:05
If you are looking at a $400-500 difference, you have to be looking at one of the Noveskes with a free float rail, Vltor stock, and Troy(?) flip up BUIS. The N4 Basic MSRP is in 6920 territory.

That's not really true.

Colt 6920 $1129 (https://policeguns.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=16_236&osCsid=dbpt07c0jr6lrro4k8jeik5iq6)

Noveske N4 Light Recce Basic 16" $1525 (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-lrb-556&cat=47&page=1&search=&since=&status=) or $400+ more than the Colt

I have seen and heard rumors of 6920 prices that are even better than the Clyde price posted above which could easily put the gap at $500. This isn't to say that the Noveske isn't "worth it", just wanted to point out that the OP isn't far off.

glocktogo
12-18-09, 09:50
Are you LE? Noveske gives LE discounts. I took my new Colt 6933 upper out last weekend to sight it in and run a few rounds through it. I kept getting failures to eject with the stock Colt M16 BCG I was running in it. I dropped my Noveske BCG in it to finish the session and it ran flawlessly. The Noveske upper also fits better to the lower than the factory Colt offering.

Considering the features they offer, I think the Noveske is worth the extra coin, but perhaps not to a casual operator who isn't going to pour a lot of rounds through it.

noops
12-18-09, 10:43
I have an 6920 and an N4 Low Profile, so not quite the same. But I'd say yeah. Mine has the VLTOR upper and SWS rails, so it's a little apples/oranges, but it's a really nice shooter. If you're going to remove the carry and do a sight, chenge the stock, and grip off a standard N4, that really shaves a couple of hundred off your differential. And the barrel alone makes up the rest to me. Of course, that assumes you like TD grip, Troy flips, and VLTOR stock. which were fine for my needs.

RT1
12-18-09, 13:34
Buy the Noveske, you will not be sorry. I have owned and shot nearly all the top D.I. and Gas Piston guns on the market. Currently i own 3 Noveske's and NO other AR's ! I recently had a problem with my first Noveske after about 5,000 rounds, 2 e-mails and 5 days later the upper was back and working perfectly again. Talk about excellent customer service :D

tylerw02
12-18-09, 13:53
Don't let little things like the fit between upper and lower cause you a gripe as it is irrelevant. I have a few that are too tight and it is a pain.

Both guns are of excellent quality and you'll be well served with either of them. Noveske seems to offer semi-custom guns with a few more bells and whistles. If you like the bells and whistles they come with, then go for them. If you aren't a fan of the individual parts Noveske uses, then you may be better getting the 6920 and customizing it to better suit your needs.

With the barrel differences, I don't know that extra cost justifies the expense. I don't know how much life double-chrome or CHF will add to the barrel.

In the end, you'll have to decide what your need are and what you want on your individual gun. Best bet is to try several at the range if you can, check them out in shops, and so on. For instance, if I'm not running magnified optics, I'd rather have a fixed rear sight. I've become a big fan of the DD A1.5. I prefer a fixed FSB. I have bear-paws and like the MIAD grip with the largest back-strap to put the trigger at the joint of the first pad on my index finger. If you find that you want things best suited for you, go with whichever is the blanker slate and cheaper as you'll sink more money in it to end up in about the same place.

og556
12-18-09, 13:53
I have never experienced better customer service than Noveske has provided when I needed a little help.

Belmont31R
12-18-09, 15:13
It boils down to personal preference and your budget.

Alaskapopo
12-18-09, 15:22
Both are good guns but I like my Noveske a bit more than my Colt.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/Noveske-1.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/ColtwithDescription.jpg

Long Ranger
12-19-09, 06:17
Good replies here, thanks!

I'm leaning more toward the Noveske at this time, though I'm sure the Colt would be every bit as good. The points swaying me, are the differences in barrels, and the repeated mention of good customer service from Noveske.

I've posted this same question on other sites, and must say, I've gotten the best feed back here.

LR

CarlosDJackal
12-19-09, 10:37
It depends entirely on how you intend to use the carbine and your personal preference.

Ridge_Runner_5
12-19-09, 12:25
With Colt, you are buying the name. With Noveske, you are buying the accuracy, IMO.

Never did understand how Colt manages to command such a high price point, especially since up till just earlier this year, their components were non-standard.