PDA

View Full Version : JP/VTAC Handguard or PRI Gen III hand guard

jp0319
12-18-09, 09:49
Looking for reccomendations, I am going to put together parts for an upper I am looking at the VTAC or PRI handguards. Which one and why?

Thanks
JP

LMTRocks
12-18-09, 12:58
JP/VTAC---it costs less, and it's modular. Your upper receiver better not have teflon on the barrel nut threads because the red loctite will not bond to it. I have one going onto my 6.8 LMT build---it's not an MRP. And it's got teflon on the threads so I'm sending the receiver to them to assemble the upper/handguard for me because they know how to take teflon off the threads.

CCK
12-18-09, 14:05
I have the PRI Gen III rifle length on my middie. I like the carbon fiber feel better than the metal of the Vtac. Both are modular.

Chris

El Mac
12-18-09, 15:05
JP/VTAC.

Once you try one, you become spoiled.

Nick S
12-18-09, 16:24
Both are fine. Both are modular. VTAC is cheaper. PRI is lighter (I think). Diameter of VTAC tube is smaller (again I think).

VTAC requires application of threadlocker between upper receiver and receiver nut of VTAC. This can be a small inconvenience later if you want to change out receivers etc.

I love my PRI.

cop1211
12-18-09, 19:16
I had the same question awhile back, I went with the PRI. Hoping to have MSTN deliver it soon, on a complete upper .

jp0319
12-18-09, 20:01
the VTAC is cheaper for sure, one question that I have on the VTAC is pertaining to rail mounting locations. Are there mounting points at the 6 oclock position across the entire bottom, or just close to the front? The reason I ask is that I have only seen VFGs mounted towards the front in pictures, and I like my VFG a bit further back. I know PRI has mounting holes the entire length of the tube on all sides. If the VTAC has the holes down the entire length I may go with it for price.

JP

Mark71
12-18-09, 23:31
What is the weight differences between the PRI and VTAC handguards?

Thanks

Nick S
12-18-09, 23:44
JP VTAC-15 oz
PRI Target Forearm-10.4 ox

These weights are without rails, sling swivels etc. If you plan on bolting rails at 3, 6, 9 and 12 the weight will quickly add up and you may as well get a Larue or DD.

VLODPG
12-19-09, 02:21
I have the PRI tube w/1 rail @ the 6 o'clock position & I love it. Was going to go wth the VTAC on my Noveske but went with the Vltor VIS-3 now that they are available.