PDA

View Full Version : Snow storm, what steps did you take?

MIKE G
12-18-09, 17:54

Ak44
12-18-09, 18:34
Bought some salt for my driveway and that's about it :D

MIKE G
12-18-09, 18:56

Ak44
12-18-09, 18:58
I'm in MD close to DC and NoVa...expecting anywhere from 12-24" last I checked. Luckily I can walk right to the grocery store or gas station and I have 4x4 pickup. I'm not too worried...Lord knows people around here can't drive for crap when it rains much less when it snows.

JeepDriver
12-18-09, 19:38
I'm working through the storm. They are calling foe 16-20" here in central Maryland.

I'm looking at 48 hours + of over time this weekend. Should be an interesting next couple days!

I can get anywhere in a Case 721D !

Ak44
12-18-09, 19:41
Enjoy the extra $$, stay safe out there :cool:

M4Fundi
12-18-09, 22:12
I've been stuck in my truck several times in snow storms (once for 3 days with a 12 week old puppy:eek: humor factor was high:p) I always keep in MY truck for storms a minus 30 sleeping bag, xtra coat, 3 sets of xtra gloves (they get wet digging out), boots sox, 2 watch caps & a balaclava, shovel, axe (if stuck cutting & placing brush under tires is key), a backpack with emergency everything from smoked fish, MREs, espresso maker & stove (I know but I need real coffee:p), headlamps, batteries, etc. H2O in 1 gallon jug, book & Skoal/Redman. Something to take inot account is the odds of having someone else with you...b/c if all you have is enuff for one then you have to share and that doesn't really work. Ask me how I know this:mad: Good hat is REALLY key. I broke down (a buddy's truck) one time in a minus 30 storm(strong winds) at night and had to hike back to town. I had a cowboy hat on and pulled the brim around my face and held in place with a silk neckerchief and thought I wasn't gonna make it just because my head was so F'ing cold.

Bad storms... stay home;)

Ak44
12-18-09, 22:18
Yup stay home and wait for the salt trucks...lol My county has those guys on overtime and on high alert it's awesome.

MSP "Sarge"
12-18-09, 23:33
Maryland's Eastern Shore here. Last I heard was 12 to 24 inch. Put the plow on the tractor and went to the store for extra food. My buddy is down from Canada and has been laughing his ass off at us here worrying about the snow. Unfortunately they don't plow many of the back roads here.

ToddG
12-19-09, 00:27
Yes, we're expecting 10-20" here in the DC area last I heard.

Tonight, I drove the 26mi from the NRA to my house in a mere two hours and thirty minutes.

NOTICE TO DC AREA DRIVERS: Even in a snowstorm, the left lane of the highway is for people who want to drive faster. It does not become a place where you get to go 10mph with your blinkers on because you want to "be close to a yellow line I can follow." I hope you all get coal in your stockings.

On my way home I stopped at a gas station to pick up something to drink. The line for gas was literally around the corner, and the station was already out of regular unleaded. Nonetheless, one tremendous dickhead had pulled his pickup up to one of the pumps and was filling four -- four -- 10g cans. While I've got little sympathy for folks who drive their cars to empty and then need to panic when it snows, this guy was a jerk. I found myself praying for a spark...

I know that has absolutely nothing to do with how we're prepped for the storm, but I just had to vent.

MIKE G
12-19-09, 01:52

PA PATRIOT
12-19-09, 02:00
IN Philly they are saying 12" to 18"inches so I topped of the SUV's gas tank (No Line at all) Stopped at Aldi's (Again No Line) and picked up some milk, egg's and a few goodies to sit by the fire place and watch it snow. I started my Generators (Primary and Secondary) and my snow blower and let them run for a bit. Carried in a little extra wood and pre-treated my driveway to help keep the snow total down a bit. Other then the above which took all of a hour I wanted to make sure Mrs. Phila PD was snug and warm the entire night long. :D

MSP "Sarge"
12-19-09, 12:16
Todd your killing me! You do know that the left lane is for SLOW inexperinced drivers? :D Come on man? That's everyday isn't it? That frosts my balls.:mad: I wish I had a POS truck . I would ram them right in the ass and push them off the highway.

pgpd3147
12-19-09, 18:31
I'm stuck in snow that is up to the middle of my car door. I spent all night last night looking for a shovel and no luck. Im also a police officer and was supposed to work tonight. That didn't happen.

Jerm
12-19-09, 21:08
I'm in SWVA as well.We got over a foot and some areas nearby got alot more.

The only thing i picked up prior that wasn't already on hand was a few extra groceries...I'm probably low on propane as well.Luckily it didn't get cold enough to find out as the power was only out for a few hours.

When the power went out i did find i needed a new phone with a cord.I was able to dig one up but it was in less than ideal condition.

Having a dial-up connection(and a laptop w/battery) finally came in handy for once.

I had some family who was stuck on the side of the road near Beckley WV for 20+ hours.I'll talk to them tomorrow and see how things went...Maybe i can use it as an example to those who dismiss my preparedness "ramblings".

panzerr
12-20-09, 08:58
Blizzards are common up here, as is extreme cold. All you can do is stay off the roads if possible. Even with 4 wheel drive you can get stuck in a hurry. We don't take any extra special precautions at home.

I've never been snowed in longer than a day so stocking up for the Holocaust isn't necessary. Most of our electric power is buried underground so we're fairly secure when it comes to power loss. If that were to occur you could get by with emergency candles for light and small amount of heat because when blizzards hit the temperature typically isn't extremely cold. If it came down to it we could hike to my folk's place and fire up the wood stove.

Outlander Systems
12-20-09, 10:50
Snow? WTF is snow? I've stockpiled kazoos and party hats for any possible snowstorms. I know it's probably rough right now, but I wouldn't mind taking some of the snow off your hands. One snowflake down here, and people turn into instant survivalists, and simultaneously forget how to drive.

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 11:42
I'm in SWVA as well.We got over a foot and some areas nearby got alot more.

The only thing i picked up prior that wasn't already on hand was a few extra groceries...I'm probably low on propane as well.Luckily it didn't get cold enough to find out as the power was only out for a few hours.

When the power went out i did find i needed a new phone with a cord.I was able to dig one up but it was in less than ideal condition.

Having a dial-up connection(and a laptop w/battery) finally came in handy for once.

I had some family who was stuck on the side of the road near Beckley WV for 20+ hours.I'll talk to them tomorrow and see how things went...Maybe i can use it as an example to those who dismiss my prepardness "ramblings".

I was called and told to report to the EOC to help out. Problem was I was stuck.

I am considered Emergency Response and none of us were provided Snow Chains........and I have made mention of this before. We are always fighting the last winter.

Without chains, my Ford Explorer is no more capable than the ones stuck along the road.

Chains, Winches and Disaster Kits but WTF do I know.....................:rolleyes:

Jerm
12-20-09, 16:05
Sounds about right.:(

Where are you out of?

I haven't has a chance to talk to them yet.From what i hear they were dug out by the National Guard.

...It sounds like they made it out just a little scared,bored,and funky.Thankfully.

My nephew who was with them is diabetic.

ST911
12-20-09, 17:23
Blizzards are common here. Getting stranded at home, or the office, is a bit of a norm. I've spent 2-3 days at work more than once. Power outages may last days.

Food, water, fuel, meds, supplemental heating, power generators, old-fashioned, low-tech amusements. Inconvenient, but no problem.

Two years ago, I ran my generator during one such outage. I had repeated knocks on my door inquring how I had power for my lights and television while others did not, and if people could hunker down at my place. It may be wise to be discreet with your level of preparation and comfort.

Mac5.56
12-20-09, 18:06
Having grown up in the Rocky Mountains I am always ready for a snow storm, no need for prep. The car has an emergency kit year round, including sleeping bag, spare socks, gloves, and other extreme weather gear.... ;)

Having five people that I can remember die because of stranded cars while I was young is enough to keep you prepared...