PDA

View Full Version : No Dog Left Behind.

jaydoc1
12-19-09, 14:19
Sorry this is a day late but did anyone see No Dog Left Behind on the military channel yesterday? Very interesting and moving story about the dogs in Iraq that marines adopted and managed to get back to the States.

There was also a great show on the war dogs of the Pacific, specifically the K9 platoon on Guam. Very interesting. Being a dog handler there was both beneficial and risky at the same time. Yeah you could sleep a little more soundly because the dog would wake you if something alerted it but you got all the shit Point (shoot me first so everyone knows you're there) and Scout (stay where you are, I'm coming to you so you can shoot me) details too!

devildogljb
12-19-09, 14:35
Sorry this is a day late but did anyone see No Dog Left Behind on the military channel yesterday? Very interesting and moving story about the dogs in Iraq that marines adopted and managed to get back to the States.

There was also a great show on the war dogs of the Pacific, specifically the K9 platoon on Guam. Very interesting. Being a dog handler there was both beneficial and risky at the same time. Yeah you could sleep a little more soundly because the dog would wake you if something alerted it but you got all the shit Point (shoot me first so everyone knows you're there) and Scout (stay where you are, I'm coming to you so you can shoot me) details too!

Yeah i did it was very good. I loved the part where the handler was injured and the doc was trying to treat him and the dog would not let the doc treat him till the handler said it was ok. It just shows the bond between man and his dog. Cant wait to see it again.

tusk212
12-19-09, 17:38
I caught them both today. What really amazed me about the war dogs of the pacific was that the dogs were regular family pets that were loaned to the Marines by their owners.

Ak44
12-19-09, 18:56
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8793/img0279c.jpg

My platoon's dog, Baxter. Iraqi dog that was a scrapper. Went with us on patrols and kept us company when guarding Detainees. Scared off other dogs at night that gave away our position and wouldn't let any Iraqi get close to us. Too bad the BN Sniper Plt shot him by orders of our Company 1st Sgt (he hated dogs). He stopped coming around after that and probably died a very lonely death somewhere. Great dog that loved vienna sausages and tysons beef jerky. :cool::D RIP Baxter.

Mark/MO
12-19-09, 19:37
My daughters, both big dog lovers, and I watched it together today. They mentioned regulations against interacting with animals, or something similar. Is this a recent or local event or has it always been this way? I recall seeing pictures and hearing stories about mascots and such from WWII vets. Heck, the father of a childhood friend served in Vietnam and had photos of a pet monkey. I remember is the photos and his stories about it. A dog or cat I can understand but jeez, a monkey? ;)

Ak44
12-19-09, 19:41
My daughters, both big dog lovers, and I watched it together today. They mentioned regulations against interacting with animals, or something similar. Is this a recent or local event or has it always been this way? I recall seeing pictures and hearing stories about mascots and such from WWII vets. Heck, the father of a childhood friend served in Vietnam and had photos of a pet monkey. I remember is the photos and his stories about it. A dog or cat I can understand but jeez, a monkey? ;)

Not sure about other time periods but when I worked with the Working dogs at our check points. The Handlers told us that they are under strict orders that any stray dogs get near theirs within 30 yds to shoot on sight. Makes sense due to all the diseases those strays can carry. We had Baxter and our FAC had a pet hedgehog. Another platoon in our company had a Donkey. Our command expressed their displeasure with our pets/mascots but they weren't always around to tell us not to have them haha.