Sleigh bells ring, are you listening,
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight.
Walking in a winter wonderland.

Macx
12-19-09, 16:11
No sir, I don't like it.

That said, I always did enjoy that outdoor range back in PA, during the dead of winter.

threebanger
12-19-09, 19:20
if it's cold enough try & freeze the snow in front of your point (spray bottle of water) or compress the hell out of it. As long as you're dressed correctly it's quite enjoyable IMHO.

Volucris
12-19-09, 19:31
Dress well as said before and it's like shooting while laying on a bed

a really cold bed

Used to paintball during the winter. Ah, the one time when the fine tolerances in CO2 markers were completely destroyed and it was a battle to stay unmarked and constantly try to stave off the leaking CO2.

JenX
12-19-09, 19:36
wear extra padding in a certain area as to not get blue balls...Do I need to be more professional on here? Someone needs to warn me STAT and I'll lock it up.

Although I am serious about the padding. Not that I'd know, but I do wear a padded bra specifically for cold range days. I do not lie.

usaffarmer
12-19-09, 20:07
Went to the range last weekend and it was 18 degrees, laying in the snowbank, cold, getting wet from the melting snow underneath was fun. The hard part was very controlled breathing so the scope didnt get fogged up.

I stick the hand warmers in your pockets and top part of gloves, hat goggles since they fog less than glasses, and layers of clothing.

It was a good time.

have fun and stay warm!

Robb Jensen
12-19-09, 20:13
wear extra padding in a certain area as to not get blue balls...Do I need to be more professional on here? Someone needs to warn me STAT and I'll lock it up.

Although I am serious about the padding. Not that I'd know, but I do wear a padded bra specifically for cold range days. I do not lie.

You're doing fine Jen-X. Speak the truth, so many don't

decodeddiesel
12-19-09, 23:01
never done it before.

will fill you in tomorrow after i give it a try. :D

MIlitary school in Vermont, as well as cold weather warfare training at Camp Ethan Allen. Yeah I've frozen my balls off firing from the prone in the snow.

Old school issued green foam sleep mats really help here.

Ak44
12-20-09, 01:35
Squad rushes in Quantico wearing Gortex top and bottoms for several hours...the not so glamorous side of the Marine Corps haha. :D

geminidglocker
12-20-09, 03:10
MIlitary school in Vermont, as well as cold weather warfare training at Camp Ethan Allen. Yeah I've frozen my balls off firing from the prone in the show.

Sweet. Finally someone who has been to my state.;)

13F3OL7
12-20-09, 03:19
Depending on how cold it is you might also want vapor barrier boots, or really thick wool socks so your feet don't freeze. Lying in the snow your relatively stationary so you'll want something to keep your feet comfortable. Watch your weapon as well in case it starts to "sweat" from bringing it inside after shooting out in the snow. If it's not wiped down soon after being brought in, it could start to rust fairly quickly.

kbrdann
12-20-09, 08:29
HA i will say it again HA. Ft.Drum, put all your stuff in sled tie that sled to your waist put on snow shoes and walk about 10klicks. Now dig in a and set for 3 days. Oh ya mountains in Afganistan laying prone on those rocks will suck all the body heat right out of you.

decodeddiesel
12-20-09, 09:02
Sweet. Finally someone who has been to my state.;)

Lived there, and served in the Vermont National Guard for 4 years Brother. Originally a CT native, but I simply consider myself a "New Englander" or Yankee.

M4Fundi
12-20-09, 09:42
MIlitary school in Vermont, as well as cold weather warfare training at Camp Ethan Allen. Yeah I've frozen my balls off firing from the prone in the snow.

I miss my OD Rubber Bitch she is in a Masai Hut in Kenya somewhere;) All the pads I find these days are much thinner:mad:

Shot prone the other day & got Blue Balls (I should say BLUER Balls) & had a 35 mph wind on my 6 and a hole in the seat of my Carhartts:eek:. It was quite experiential:p

SeriousStudent
12-20-09, 10:08
Those small cheap hand warmer packets are quite nice. Drop one into a large mitten that you wear over a thin pair of shooting gloves. It works great to keep your fingers limber and warm. Just drop the mitten when you are ready to shoot.

It's a real blessing if you are an old fossil like me, and have arthritis in each hand. Ah, the joys of winter. ;)

And as others have said, a cheap Ensolite full-length pad is your friend as well.

m4fun
12-20-09, 10:38
I never loved hand and boot warmers more - ditto on the upper part of the glove. Just stay warm and if you can use a pad, use it.

Slut - watch what you have at the end of your barrel - if you dont have something like an A2 flash suppressor which keeps the muzzle blast from blasting low, you will have a nice "winter effect" every time you fire.

11Bravo
12-20-09, 13:13
HA i will say it again HA. Ft.Drum, put all your stuff in sled tie that sled to your waist put on snow shoes and walk about 10klicks. Now dig in a and set for 3 days. Oh ya mountains in Afganistan laying prone on those rocks will suck all the body heat right out of you.
Ah, the ahkio.
10 man arctic tents...
Yukon stoves...
Actually being on real "fire guard"...
Cold poles..
Gotta love it. :D

halo2304
12-20-09, 13:58
Yet another reason to stick a rolled up sock down your pants. Just remember though, it goes in the FRONT! :D

30 cal slut
12-20-09, 14:55
well, that was fun.

made black snow.

well, no blue ballz to report, but ...

http://rlv.zcache.com/shy_little_turtle_in_shell_poster-p228588976244663066t5wm_400.jpg

Iraqgunz
12-20-09, 14:58
I am having flashbacks to my time in Germany where I froze my balls off in the snow many times. Especially in Grafenwohr and Wildflecken.

halo2304
12-20-09, 15:03
well, that was fun.

made black snow.

well, no blue ballz to report, but ...

http://rlv.zcache.com/shy_little_turtle_in_shell_poster-p228588976244663066t5wm_400.jpg

What? Shrinkage?! LOL

CarlosDJackal
12-20-09, 15:20
Been there, done that. I did not like it at all.

IMHO, the worst part about it is trying to take a leak. Talk about maximum shrinkage!! :D

CarlosDJackal
12-20-09, 15:23
Ah, the ahkio.
10 man arctic tents...
Yukon stoves...
Actually being on real "fire guard"...
Cold poles..
Gotta love it. :D

Oh, God damn!! I just had bad flashbacks from my time at Fort Richardson, AK. :eek:

13F3OL7
12-20-09, 15:58
Oh, God damn!! I just had bad flashbacks from my time at Fort Richardson, AK. :eek:

Spent a few days at Ft Richardson. It's not that bad. Generally warmer and not as windy as Wainwright & Greely. It got down to -34 up here in Fairbanks yesterday. Would have been perfect weather for cold bagging it.

Taking a leak isn't as bad as trying drop a bomb. You have to dig down through the snow and frozen ground so you don't lay a surface mine.

RogerinTPA
12-20-09, 16:00
The few times I did shoot in the snow, I always had on some gortex pants, and/or used a shooting mat, with garbage bags underneath. I also didn't spent hours in the prone position either, so I never had to worry about blue balls or shrinkage. ;)

JStor
12-20-09, 16:30
In the snow: I wear insulated bibs with an arctic Carhart or other parka. I use a cheapo tarp to shoot kneeling, sitting or prone. The tarp has to be large enough to catch spent brass. If I want a steadier rest, I use an Eagle pack. Even in deep snow without a tarp, the pack will at least keep the rifle elevated and stable.

CarlosDJackal
12-20-09, 16:30
Spent a few days at Ft Richardson. It's not that bad. Generally warmer and not as windy as Wainwright & Greely. It got down to -34 up here in Fairbanks yesterday. Would have been perfect weather for cold bagging it.

Taking a leak isn't as bad as trying drop a bomb. You have to dig down through the snow and frozen ground so you don't lay a surface mine.

I've spent a lot of weeks in Greely myself. This is one Pacific Islander/Asian who will not be visiting the "State that Proves that Hell froze over" anytime soon. :p

11Bravo
12-20-09, 16:37
I've spent a lot of weeks in Greely myself. This is one Pacific Islander/Asian who will not be visiting the "State that Proves that Hell froze over" anytime soon. :p
Greely for me.
Arctic Warfare Infantry Company Course or whatever.
January '91.
Being a winter guy, I LOVED IT!!!

SteyrAUG
12-20-09, 23:36
So long as I am secure in the knowledge that within 4 hours I will be warm and toasty and eating chili I can endure just about anything in the snow.

QuickStrike
12-21-09, 05:37
I hear rice-paddy prone in deep snow is VERY stable. :cool:

CarlosDJackal
12-21-09, 07:04
Greely for me.
Arctic Warfare Infantry Company Course or whatever.
January '91.
Being a winter guy, I LOVED IT!!!

Went through the same course in 1986. I wonder if my signature is still on that cross at the top of Gunny Sack Peak? :)

30 cal slut
12-21-09, 07:57
I hear rice-paddy prone in deep snow is VERY stable. :cool:

sure, if you don't have an overwhelming desire to pee at the moment.

JenX
12-21-09, 07:58
sure, if you don't have an overwhelming desire to pee at the moment.

if I can pee in a cup and poop in an MRE bag ANYONE can!

30 cal slut
12-21-09, 08:00

Ma'am, no disrespect intended.

But in a such a situation (kimchee squat), you are in the enviable position of being able to kill two birds with one stone.

;)

JenX
12-21-09, 08:17
Ma'am, no disrespect intended.

But in a such a situation (kimchee squat), you are in the enviable position of being able to kill two birds with one stone.

;)

hahhahahaaaa...oh man...I can not stop laughing....

d90king
12-21-09, 08:24
This thread is getting better with each and every post.:D Couple visuals that I can't say I ever thought I would have... Kimchee squat and a hot chick dropping the kids of at the pool (or bag)... lol

Nathan_Bell
12-21-09, 09:01
Bibs or a full coverall is your friend in this situation. No matter how many layers I have on, without those, I always end up with snow where is was never intended to be.

30 cal slut
12-21-09, 09:49
Bibs or a full coverall is your friend in this situation. No matter how many layers I have on, without those, I always end up with snow where is was never intended to be.

all kidding aside, i did okay with fleece overpants and long johns for an hour or so.

11Bravo
12-21-09, 15:53
That's what a cold pole is for. :rolleyes:

Nathan_Bell
12-21-09, 16:11
That's what a cold pole is for. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that is what I end up with.