PDA

View Full Version : Insoles

awm14hp
12-19-09, 16:20
I have some new Asolo boots and merrells but I dont like the stock insoles maybe I am getting old but I find more and more shoe insoles suck what do you guys like I was going to try to get some. I also though about going to running store and get a them to check my instep or such it never bothered me in past but seems to now

CLHC
12-19-09, 16:31
You could get some "custom" ones if you desire. There's also Dr. Scholls, SOLES, Superfeet Insoles and the like out there. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :cool:

militarymoron
12-19-09, 16:37
if stock insoles are inadequate, i usually replace them with green superfeet.

GLOCKMASTER
12-19-09, 16:37
Super Feet or Sole insoles with a very good pair of socks work great.

JSantoro
12-19-09, 17:16
I just got a pair of Asolos about 3 weeks ago; good to begin with, even better since I dropped in a pair of Sole insoles.

awm14hp
12-19-09, 17:52
Yeah the Merrell ones were not bad at start but after 2 weeks I think they are shot and the Asolo ones were terrible from start I pulled them out its more of a liner than any type of insole I have seen.

Hayduke
12-19-09, 22:20
i pop a pair of superfeet greens into every pair of shoes i buy. the stock insoles are junk across the board IMO.

awm14hp
12-20-09, 06:46
OK thanks for the info guys I pulled the trigger on some last night and ordered a pair of the green and pair of the blue. It would seem they are a much better option than the ones these had from factory its funny I have stock insoles in my few Wellco ICB's that are fine and my matterhorns were always good to go.

CLHC
12-20-09, 17:01
OK thanks for the info guys I pulled the trigger on some last night and ordered a pair of the green and pair of the blue.
Like the others already stated, I walk on "green"! :D

JenX
12-20-09, 19:25
I too am getting old and after 12 years of jumping out of airplanes and rucking my feet are brutally over it! If you are a Veteran I highly suggest going to the VA. They custom design insoles for exactly what your feet need. You can even bring in your boots and they will cut them to fit for you. BEST thing I ever did. I can actually run again!

The VA is free, but if you have a civilian doctor they have the same custom sole computer program.

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 20:09
I stopped buying cheap boots and most of my problems have gone away.

I am currently using Danner Radicals and Danner TFX Desert boots and the Danner Fatigue Fighter insoles seem to work well, at least as far as impact goes.

I am working out in these boots. Obviously, I avoid running in these boots. especialy since I use a Ruck loaded with 30-45lbs of weight. Some of it is good kit and some of it diving weights. I take some of the weights out the nights I go faster. Some nights I go faster still and leave the pack off. I skip the ruck every third week.

What is holding me back is the propensity of my little toe on my right foot to blister. It limits the duration of my workout and my max speed. I generally do 15 degrees on the treadmill at 3.2 to 3.6 (sans pack)mph for 90 minutes. I try and do at least 4.5 miles and 3600 vertical feet. My toe is getting hot by then and sometimes it blisters. I have a constant callous there. Only on that toe, everythign else is fine.

I am wearing sock liners and using gobs of foot powder too.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Would a custom insole help this?

JenX
12-20-09, 20:30
I stopped buying cheap boots and most of my problems have gone away.

What is holding me back is the propensity of my little toe on my right foot to blister. It limits the duration of my workout and my max speed. I generally do 15 degrees on the treadmill at 3.2 to 3.6 (sans pack)mph for 90 minutes. I try and do at least 4.5 miles and 3600 vertical feet. My toe is getting hot by then and sometimes it blisters. I have a constant callous there. Only on that toe, everything else is fine.

I am wearing sock liners and using gobs of foot powder too.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Would a custom insole help this?

Its not an insole issue. You have a hot spot. I have one in the exact same spot on my pinky toe and on my heel and the top of my foot. A medic put mole skin on my feet once and that was THE BEST THING EVER!!! I never put on my boots without it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001EPQG1M/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3760901&s=hpc

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 20:46
I tried to get Mole Skin to stick to my Pinky Toe but it works off. Mabey I am doing something wrong.

My Danners are 10-1/2D for the Radicals and 10-1/2EE for the TFX Desert Boots and they are light-years more comfortable. I can wear thick socks in the 10-1/2EE boots. A computerized machine measured my feet for the TFX Desert Boots. Most comfortable fit ever. I finally broke-in the Radicals. I got some left on my uniform allotment from my Agency and am going to get a 10-1/2EE pair of Radicals soon.

I remember how the puke at Ft. Jackson stuffed my feet into 9EE boots sans insole. Saying aything larger would cause blisters. It tooks months after AIT for my little toe to recover the nightmare that was those boots.

The old black leather speed lace Recurit Boots. Barbaric, primitive torture contraptions. I think I am going to pull all of my old ones out of the closet and set them on fire.

JenX
12-20-09, 20:49
I tried to get Mole Skin to stick to my Pinky Toe but it works off.

Time to get some flip flops...as long as you don't have to kick anything you are G2G. Sounds like your boots are too big.

CLHC
12-20-09, 20:50
There's Medical Adhesive Sprays one can purchase, but they're not inexpensive.

JenX
12-20-09, 20:52
There's Medical Adhesive Sprays one can purchase, but they're not inexpensive.

Why didn't you just say "expensive"...I had to read this like three times. Come on man help out the reading impaired.

CLHC
12-20-09, 21:00
Why didn't you just say "expensive"...I had to read this like three times. Come on man help out the reading impaired.
Expensive indeed it is! Gotcha! :D

Here's < one (http://www.parthenoninc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=81) > of them.

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 21:11
Time to get some flip flops...as long as you don't have to kick anything you are G2G. Sounds like your boots are too big.

Did you read the part about the 9EE Recurit boots?
They did hideous things to my little toe that I was lucky to recover from.

No, they aren't too big, they are just right. I make sure I wear the proper socks for the boots too. It only blisters when I am pushing myself realy hard.

Besides, if it were a size thing, the left foot would be suffering too and it is fine. It never has this problem, regardless of boot size.

JSantoro
12-20-09, 21:14
I tried to get Mole Skin to stick to my Pinky Toe but it works off.

I've got the same thing going with spots right in the middle of the ball of my feet. I always get blisters there on humps, regardless of how much callous I have. Moleskin works if it stays put, but I learned I had to supplement it with athletic or surgical tape, and replace the socks once the adhesive gummed up the insides.

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 21:14
Expensive indeed it is! Gotcha! :D

Here's < one (http://www.parthenoninc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=81) > of them.

1) How long will a can, sparingly used, last?

2) Will it really hold the Mole Skin in place on the tip of my little toe under hard use on a hot day?

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 21:17
I've got the same thing going with spots right in the middle of the ball of my feet. I always get blisters there on humps, regardless of how much callous I have. Moleskin works if it stays put, but I learned I had to supplement it with athletic or surgical tape, and replace the socks once the adhesive gummed up the insides.

Have you tried sock liners?

PS, your sig line. I have heard it before but the word 'man' was replaced with the word 'Hippie':D

CLHC
12-20-09, 21:33

2) Will it really hold the Mole Skin in place on the tip of my little toe under hard use on a hot day?
Sorry, I have no experience with such products, but have only seen them. Other than that, I'd only be ass-u-ming. ;)

JSantoro
12-20-09, 21:33
Raw silk, ploypro, light wool, all the colors of the rainbow of sock liners, all sorts of insoles. Lots of trial and error, because for a dude that was supposed to be primarily an LAV turret gunner or VC, I sure ended up walking the earth in provisional units.

The winning combo ended up being Sole/Superfeet insoles as mentioned herein, merino wool socks with no liners, and boots built on a narrower last than usual (European-style lasts are generally narrower than US), as my feet are just narrow enough to not be medium widths and actual narrow widths are hard as hell to get. Still moleskinning and taping when I know a long hump is forthcoming.

Which, admittedly, happens less often these days. :D

JenX
12-20-09, 21:41

Dude seriously, pass your lil pinky toe a straw and tell it to SUCK IT UP! or go straight Flash Dance on that shiz and wrap a bunch of tape around it.

You can't just put it on and think its going to last all day. When I was fighting fires in NorCal last summer I had the biggest issues. My feet were constantly stepping in spots that were HOT (obviously) and I had to take my boots off every 3 hours to change socks and moleskin. Hey man you can't help being so highspeed! So put extra socks, powder, moleskin and scissors in your ruck and move out.

I may be a chick, but my feet sweat. In cold weather environments I have to wear jungle boots. We have feet issues. It is what it is.

CLHC
12-20-09, 21:55
Interesting find on < ZombieRunner (http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/foot_care/) > via the FixingYourFeet link posted above! :cool:

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 22:31
Dude seriously, pass your lil pinky toe a straw and tell it to SUCK IT UP! or go straight Flash Dance on that shiz and wrap a bunch of tape around it.

You can't just put it on and think its going to last all day. When I was fighting fires in NorCal last summer I had the biggest issues. My feet were constantly stepping in spots that were HOT (obviously) and I had to take my boots off every 3 hours to change socks and moleskin. Hey man you can't help being so highspeed! So put extra socks, powder, moleskin and scissors in your ruck and move out.

I may be a chick, but my feet sweat. In cold weather environments I have to wear jungle boots. We have feet issues. It is what it is.

Oh, it has sucked it up for around 300 miles just this year, not including my .mil days and beyond. It is telling me to take the straw and stuff it where the sun don't shine.

I am planning to take October next year off work and do around 200 miles of the AT. The better my feet work, the more ground I can cover and the more I can enjoy my Vacation.

I do do the multiple sock thing on the trail and go thru foot powder like water. It helps a lot but if there is a simple, permanent solution I am overlooking, I would like to find it so I can stop treating the symptoms and cure the problem.

I am considering visiting a Podiatrist just for shits and grins.

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 22:34
I have never liked moleskin. It always seemed too bulky for me. Duct tape is the shit. If you already have a blister formed cover with a bandaid then cover that in duct tape.

The below website is the foot health bible.
http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/

The biggest thing to remember is that everyones feet are different. Knowing what your feet need only comes from experience.

BTW, Superfeet are the shit.

PJ

I am ordering the book on that site tommorow.

Heavy Metal
12-20-09, 22:53
80 miles in a day and a half! WOW!

You must have slept for a year when you finally crashed! I tip my hat to you sir!

I am planning on covering 20 mountainous miles a day next October if I can get my doggies trained well enough to go along with the plan.

Brother Rat
12-21-09, 00:26
I tried to get Mole Skin to stick to my Pinky Toe but it works off. Mabey I am doing something wrong.

Use medical tape for the areas that moleskin has trouble sticking to. I've had good results wrapping problem toes with the med tape and placing moleskin elsewhere on my feet that I know I'll have issues with friction.

M4Fundi
12-21-09, 00:28
I have an insole collection and was a big Super Feet enthusiast, but frustrated with how quickly the foam sections under the ball of feet wore out and have found the SOLE brand to be the ticket. They are VERY high quality and the foam lasts MUCH longer (for me). The Superfeet (green that I need) also raise the heel out of the shoe/boot's heel cup reducing the footwear's ankle support. The SOLE brand so far does it all very well and if you get the Ed Viestur's BLUE version they are anti-microbial. I've also found that doing the heat fitting molds them too much to the foot reducing the cushion and is unnecessary. IMHO

awm14hp
12-31-09, 11:57
I got my green insoles today other than the terrible delivery time they seem to be a heck of alot better so far I have had them on for a few hours then will let it go and break them in a few hours a day for a week or so. so far so good were do you guys get them I tried the red rock and it took forever to get them

aslink
12-31-09, 12:20
I have a store local to me called "The Walking Store." It has a pad you step on and a computer program that tells you how you naturally disperse your weight on your feet. Then they can sell you a pair of insoles with your foot issue in mind. The nice thing for me is I'm able to walk in and walk out with a better insole. My jobs as of late have all been standing on my feet 99.9% of the time and at 45 I was having issues. Since these insoles my feet have been much happier. I'm not saying they are better than custom insoles but I'm guessing they come close for a pre-made item. They're not as affordable as SuperFeet but I've been very happy with them.

Hope that helps.

Ken

CLHC
12-31-09, 13:06
I used to buy mine from the Red Wing Shoe store.

steve-oh
01-03-10, 21:33
Superfeet Greens are the way to go if you've got flat-ish feet. Combine them with a decent pair of boots and Smartwool socks and you're practically guaranteed no blisters. Anytime a battle buddy's feet are getting jacked up I clue him in and a couple of weeks later they are thanking me.

I've got the VA custom insoles in my distance running shoes, but that's just for 8+ miles. Unless you're really going to be kicking the shit out of your feet, I mean Darby miling it, I don't think you'll notice a difference in the superfeet and the custom insoles.