PDA

View Full Version : mag sticking in lower ?

Pappabear
12-19-09, 18:00
When Mags stick, or do not drop free what is the typical reason? I have a RRA lower and have never had the issue. However, my Buddy does have issues with his. I wondered if changing the mag release could solve the problem. Or is it the actual "stripped" lower?

kmrtnsn
12-19-09, 18:04
Bent, dented, or otherwise damaged magazine; toss the offending magazine.

Iraqgunz
12-19-09, 22:16
The RRA lower could be out of spec. The magazine release may need adjustment. It's also possible that the magazine is damaged as well.

Quentin
12-20-09, 00:38
Assuming the mags aren't damaged, is this happening with USGI mags or PMAGs? The latter sometimes stick in some magwells but I think there's an area that can be lightly sanded to correct the problem. They make 'em to fit snug but sometimes a little too snug.

JimT
12-20-09, 11:50
I have the same issue with one of my lowers (Olympic Arms). What was I thinking back in 1999?!? All of my other lowers will allow my USGI mags to drop free with nary an issue. However, nearly half of my mags don't drop free with my Oly lower.

steve-oh
12-20-09, 11:57
Yeah like the others have said, sometimes it's as simple as backing out the magazine release a turn.

DacoRoman
12-20-09, 12:22
I would also suspect that the lower is out of spec. I had a Noveske lower, that Noveske rapidly replaced (great customer service by the way), that would not allow the seating of some mags (Thermold forget it, and Pmag with great difficulty; GI mags and Lancers were GTG), and would not drop free the polymer mags (except the Lancers), that a 6290 and Bushmaster lower had absolutely no trouble with.

Pappabear
12-20-09, 12:30
Great help guys, thanks. Anyone know where that thread that had pictures of the pmags / sanding spots is..I remember it but cant find it.

My non computer literate friend says thanks too.

lil'Zeus
12-20-09, 16:09
Yeah like the others have said, sometimes it's as simple as backing out the magazine release a turn.

How do you do this? My Bushmaster lower has this problem on some PMAGS, but not on others. I figured it was the mags, but since some drop free and others do not I am curious. The same mags that won't drop free from my BM lower will drop free from my cousins RRA lower...

Thanks in advance for the advice...this might save me from trying to find someone to swap mags with...

Shane

William B.
12-20-09, 16:23
How do you do this? My Bushmaster lower has this problem on some PMAGS, but not on others. I figured it was the mags, but since some drop free and others do not I am curious. The same mags that won't drop free from my BM lower will drop free from my cousins RRA lower...

Thanks in advance for the advice...this might save me from trying to find someone to swap mags with...

Shane

Push the magazine release button as hard as you can until you can pull the actual magazine catch out of its detent on the opposite side of the receiver. Then just rotate the mag catch one way or the other to tighten or loosen it.

lil'Zeus
12-20-09, 16:27
thanks for the info...I will rotate the piece on the outside of the lower right? Righty tighty lefty loosey...Correct?

Thanks again

JimT
12-20-09, 17:45
thanks for the info...I will rotate the piece on the outside of the lower right? Righty tighty lefty loosey...Correct?

Thanks again

Yup yup.

Rotate the part of the assembly that is on the bolt-catch side of a standard AR15 receiver (excluding the new Knight's and some other ambi receivers). Righty tighty, lefty loosey is correct as well.