PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Rev-M PMAGs not locking back!

lawusmc0844
12-19-09, 19:59
This is the 2nd time that you have posted having an issue with PMAG's before contacting anyone. Contact Magpul first (they even have guys lurking around here) and then make your post.

Robb Jensen
12-19-09, 20:08
Did you contact Magpul?

lawusmc0844
12-19-09, 20:11
Not yet, I'm sure they're closed for the weekend so I'll email them now and provide a follow up when I get a response...

FJ540MN
12-19-09, 22:11
The stiffer spring goes in the trigger, and the softer one goes in the bolt catch.

I screwed that one up the first time.

lawusmc0844
12-20-09, 04:43
This is the 2nd time that you have posted having an issue with PMAG's before contacting anyone. Contact Magpul first (they even have guys lurking around here) and then make your post.

Sorry, its basically the same situation as before but with different PMAGs and weapon so I felt it was a separate issue. I did try PMing NickB but did not hear anything back, and I could not replicate the problem again with the other ones. I sent them an email a few hours ago and will wait for their response Monday.

curmudgeon9
12-21-09, 21:09
I'll be interested in the reply you get also; I have ONE Magpul mag. and it doesn't lock back either. thanks.

lawusmc0844
12-22-09, 02:12
Alright, been out all day but got the email early yesterday morning. They will send replacements after I send the "bad" ones in! I will get them sent out later today and hopefully the new ones work fine. Thank you Magpul...

lawusmc0844
01-02-10, 15:22
Sorry for bringing this old thread back but I got an email from Magpul sending me my new replacement mags! I even received a call from Justin Beard earlier this week while I was cleaning my AR's. He told me that they tested all my 'problem' mags but all locked back fine. He pointed out my bolt catch may be out of spec. Currently all other mags, including a shitty Promag, lock back fine but we will see when I get the new ones in. My new bolt catch was from G&R's LPK which replaced an unknown, shitty looking one that was installed before. I had a FC pin walk out on me with the old LPK but no issues with lock back...

ChicagoTex
01-03-10, 05:49
What buffer are you running?
What BCG are you running?
Where is your brass typically ejecting?

Your action may be running too fast - just a thought.

variablebinary
01-03-10, 08:26
Call Magpul and get them replaced. They are VERY good about stuff like this.

lawusmc0844
01-03-10, 20:51
What buffer are you running?
What BCG are you running?
Where is your brass typically ejecting?

Your action may be running too fast - just a thought.

I am using an H2 buffer and BCM F/A BCG. At first I used the H2 buffer and spring that came with my LWRC M6A2 upper. Doing a quick comparison with my DDM4, that spring is shorter so I used an unused spring that came with my lower when it wore an unknown suspect LPK. The brass ejected 1:30-2:00 at first but now it is just about at 3:00. It recoils harder than my DDM4, but I think the spring is the culprit so I will get a new one.

I don't think the action is too fast, especially with an H2 buffer. Again, I've tried every other mag I have (USGI, USGI w/Magpul followers, PMAG Gen I windowed & unwindowed, Lancer, cheap ass Promag and C Products) and those will lock back fine.

lawusmc0844
01-03-10, 20:53
Call Magpul and get them replaced. They are VERY good about stuff like this.

That is already taken care of, read above. Magpul's CS is awesome.

ChicagoTex
01-03-10, 21:00
I don't think the action is too fast, especially with an H2 buffer.

Can't argue with you, while it sounds like your gun is a little overgassed, I have a hard time imagining a F/A BCG and H2 Buffer combo running too fast for a Pmag.

lawusmc0844
01-03-10, 21:13
My upper is a midlength from BCM which also makes me doubt a faster action. I hope a new spring will soften the recoil since it should not kick harder than my DDM4 or issue Colt M4. My new PMAGs should be waiting for me when I get back down to Camp P by Wednesday.

spamsammich
01-03-10, 21:16
In my experience CAR buffers worked just fine with all types of ammo on my mid length guns.

lawusmc0844
01-03-10, 21:34
When I was at an outdoor range last week, I actually brought my spare CAR, H and H2 buffer and springs to test them out. I shot a few rounds with the CAR first, then went up. Recoil felt the same with all of them and ejection pattern seemed consistently at 1:30 - 2:00. I remember reading somewhere here that its best to use the heaviest buffer that does not cause short stroking. I don't have a H3 and don't plan on buying one so I settled with H2.

ChicagoTex
01-03-10, 21:59
AFAIK, H3 buffers shouldn't be necessary on unsupressed guns.

lawusmc0844
01-05-10, 23:01
I got my replacement PMAGs from the mail today, and I just tested each of them by manually pulling back the CH on the empty mags. Except for the 20 rounder, they will all lock back! Now its time to test them at the range whenever I have time. If the 20 rounder still doesn't want to work at the range than I will use it with my issue M4 only for the time being since I left my DDM4 back home.

ra2bach
01-06-10, 13:08
I got my replacement PMAGs from the mail today, and I just tested each of them by manually pulling back the CH on the empty mags. Except for the 20 rounder, they will all lock back! Now its time to test them at the range whenever I have time. If the 20 rounder still doesn't want to work at the range than I will use it with my issue M4 only for the time being since I left my DDM4 back home.

so, you're still finding new Pmags (20 rounder) that won't lock the bolt back?

and Magpul said that the mags you sent back were not defective?

do I need to do the math here or can you handle this on your own?

lawusmc0844
01-06-10, 20:06
Yes I can handle it myself. I am planning to buy a new bolt catch since I also need a new buffer spring anyway.