PDA

View Full Version : Another What For My Wife's CCW

jmp45
12-20-09, 11:22
Wifey is about 5'4", 100 or less lbs. Yes, she's a fembot..;) Anyhow, she loves shooting my M&P 9, she can cycle it just fine, I'm planning on getting her one next year.

For CCW I was considering the Ruger LCP, she really likes that one but I have no opportunity to test. There's no way she could handle the recoil of my kel-tec pf-9 and I'm thinking the LCP is probably not much less. She can cycle the LCP but has trouble with most autos doing that. Revolver is out of the question, won't go there.

Any of you guys have an LCP that your girl likes to fire, any feedback on this much appreciated. Too snappy?

MarshallDodge
12-20-09, 11:31
If she likes your full size M&P then why not an M&P9C?

The LCP kicks hard, has a really stiff trigger, and the caliber is on the anemic side.

99HMC4
12-20-09, 11:33
I carry one every day. It is a bit snappy for such a small frame but I think its fine. Use the finger extension on the mag plate. She will never even hear or feel the gun if she ever had to use it anyway...

Hat Creek
12-20-09, 11:43
If slide operation is an issue, consider the following. When functioning the slide, use both hands. That is, shove forward with the shooting hand while pulling the slide to the rear with the support hand. This should reduce the effort. Just insure that when it is learned, a safe direction is always paramount. If the four fundamental rules cannot be obeyed, perhaps a firearm is not the best choice.

As with any motor skill, time and repetition should make the technique easier to do.

Marcus L.
12-20-09, 11:58
Does she really have to have something as small as a LCP? Mouse guns are generally fairly reliable in .25acp or .32acp with the lighter recoil springs and slide mass, however when you get into the .380acp you need a stiffer spring which results in the weapon being more likely to malfuction unless you have a good hold on it. Pocket .380s are notorious for malfuctions due to limp wristing and the LCP is no exception. The grip is so short that you need to have an iron grip and practice a bit to ensure reliable fuction, particularly when your hands are sweaty, cold, or wearing gloves.

If you can get her to pick something with more grip to it like a G26, M&P compact, Sig P232/P239, or HK subcompact then you can have more confidence that the pistol while work when she needs it.

Not sure why you want to throw revolvers out, but a good 5-shot .38spl+P is an ideal conceal carry piece in my opinion. Shoots every time as long as you pull the trigger, isn't effected by crap in your pocket or your wife's purse, and it will fuction fine should you be close enough to make contact shots.

joshua79109
12-20-09, 12:43

jmp45
12-20-09, 13:03
Thanks again guys, that narrows it down.. I'll opt for the M&P9C. She likes the crimson trace but the grip is too wide for her, so I guess the basic with small back strap should do it for her.

She just doesn't like revolvers, so that's not an option.

So, considering the M&P9C for CCW, would it be similar to their standard 9 for target shooting, comfort, recoil, accuracy, every day shooting etc? It's got to be something she likes to shoot. If it doesn't deviate from the M&P9 in that sense, I guess I'm settled.

Thanks Hat for the tips. Grant showed her at our last visit the easiest way for her to cycle, really made a difference but she still has trouble with some autos. I'll inquire with Grant to see what he moves them for.

User Name
12-20-09, 16:23
Not sure why you want to throw revolvers out, but a good 5-shot .38spl+P is an ideal conceal carry piece in my opinion. Shoots every time as long as you pull the trigger, isn't effected by crap in your pocket or your wife's purse, and it will fuction fine should you be close enough to make contact shots.[/QUOTE]

J Frames particularly the lightweight variety are hard to shoot well it seems. They also can beat up the shooter with +p fodder. Even though I would consider my knowledge minimal compared to many that post here. I usually steer new shooters away from lightweight J Frames. Though I have had some Kahr's with mixed results the P9 is a nice flat shootable gun and may be worth a consideration.

ST911
12-20-09, 17:17
A large sample of ladies (and youth) consistently report favoring Glocks 19 and 26, Sig 239, Sig 225, certain 1911s, SP101s, S&W Model 10s w/ narrow flat-frontstrap grips. S&W 3913 is somewhat popular, too. Not in order of preference, other than the Glocks lead in autos, and the SP101 in revolvers.

The P3ATs and LCPs are not very popular. Shooters that are clean slates provide feedback that centers on the rudimentary sights more than any other attribute. (They do like to be as accurate as possible.) Those that have been warned by well-meaning others about recoil and difficulty shooting will experience self-fulfilling prophecies.

As with any other shooter, good instruction will make a huge difference in what works and doesn't.

Beware of guns that are indeed easy to carry, but less satisfying to shoot. Many will gravitate to these for their convenient size, and in the aftermath form unrealistic expectations, bad habits, and a lack of dedication.

Hat's technique of slide operation is a good one, and used with great success.

ccoker
12-20-09, 20:53
M&P9c is what I got my wife
just need to get her out more to shoot it!

virtualpm
12-21-09, 21:23
My wife is quite petite too (5'0", 100lbs), and has pretty small hands, not to mention issues with the weight of most autos. She can shoot my 9c, but even with the small backstrap, it's a stretch to get a good grip on the draw, and again, it's a bit heavy in her purse all day. She took a real liking to my LCP (was my BUG, now I'm looking for a 642 for Christmas), but I wanted her to have something with a bit more "horsepower" for her primary EDC, so I hooked her up with a new Taurus 709 Slim. It's near perfect for her.

- Scott

nipplehead
12-23-09, 06:56
My wife is quite petite too (5'0", 100lbs), and has pretty small hands, not to mention issues with the weight of most autos. She can shoot my 9c, but even with the small backstrap, it's a stretch to get a good grip on the draw, and again, it's a bit heavy in her purse all day. She took a real liking to my LCP (was my BUG, now I'm looking for a 642 for Christmas), but I wanted her to have something with a bit more "horsepower" for her primary EDC, so I hooked her up with a new Taurus 709 Slim. It's near perfect for her.

- Scott
Scott I have interest in the slim, How has it shot? Is it reliable? Put many rounds through it yet?

Beat Trash
12-23-09, 08:50
So, considering the M&P9C for CCW, would it be similar to their standard 9 for target shooting, comfort, recoil, accuracy, every day shooting etc? It's got to be something she likes to shoot. If it doesn't deviate from the M&P9 in that sense, I guess I'm settled.

The short answer to your question is yes.

I have carried an issued M&P9 for going on 4 years. I personally own a M&P9c. It is difficult for me to tell much difference between the two.

Of the 1,150 M&P 9mm's my agency has in the field, about 200 of them are M&P9c's. We have not noticed any real difference between the two guns as it relates to accuracy, reliability, ect.

I recently went to our agencies range with one of my female officers how is about the size of your wife. She had just transfered to an undercover unit. As such, she had the option of transitioning from the full size to the compact, if she wanted to.

While the smaller size appealed to her, she was concerned about being able to shoot the compact as proficiently as the full size gun. (In her new unit, firearms proficiency is more than a theoretical exercise.).

I had her shoot both guns, side by side. She actually shot the compact slightly better, and had more confidence in the compact because of that.

Get the M&P9c, your wife will love it.

virtualpm
12-23-09, 19:52
Scott I have interest in the slim, How has it shot? Is it reliable? Put many rounds through it yet?

So far, we've put about 300 rounds thru it - both FMJs and HPs - with no malfunctions of any kind. Accuracy is approximately 3-inch, 7-shot groups at 15 yards - the sights are quite usable, expecially compared to an LCP. Pretty comfortable to shoot for a small gun - it's not like shooting my M&P 40fs, or even my M&P 9c, but neither of us feel beat up after shooting it.

- Scott

liftman
12-27-09, 19:29
You mentioned using a crimson trace if it didn't make the grip too big. Check these out http://laserlyte.com/ I use one on my g29 10mm and have had zero issues with 2k rounds down the pipe so far with it (full house loads). And I know they are developing more models to fit different weapons. This is a great option over the standard laser choices.
Btw not affiliated with them just a satisfied customer.

On another note my wife 5'6" 125# is far more accurate with the laser for obvious reasons and her follow up shots in rapid fire are at about a 14" group at 7 yards. Thats shooting my 10mm with the laser. Without it she is much worse, but that is a powerful round in a small frame. That same setup on the g33 sub compact 357 sig she is deadly. And the g33 is small and not too bad in concealment for her.

She has tried some of the small j frames but is more accurate with a pistol.

Anyway just another opinion, hey everyone's got em.

MAUSER202
12-27-09, 22:00
Does she really have to have something as small as a LCP? Mouse guns are generally fairly reliable in .25acp or .32acp with the lighter recoil springs and slide mass, however when you get into the .380acp you need a stiffer spring which results in the weapon being more likely to malfuction unless you have a good hold on it. Pocket .380s are notorious for malfuctions due to limp wristing and the LCP is no exception. The grip is so short that you need to have an iron grip and practice a bit to ensure reliable fuction, particularly when your hands are sweaty, cold, or wearing gloves.

If you can get her to pick something with more grip to it like a G26, M&P compact, Sig P232/P239, or HK subcompact then you can have more confidence that the pistol while work when she needs it.

Not sure why you want to throw revolvers out, but a good 5-shot .38spl+P is an ideal conceal carry piece in my opinion. Shoots every time as long as you pull the trigger, isn't effected by crap in your pocket or your wife's purse, and it will fuction fine should you be close enough to make contact shots.

My wifes edc is an lcp, 400rds and not one hic up. I dont know if thats the norm but it works for her. With her size( 5'7" 130) my P239 does not conceal well unless she has a coat on with an ostwb holster. The lcp works well with an iswb and a light shirt.

jmp45
12-28-09, 11:35
The short answer to your question is yes.

I have carried an issued M&P9 for going on 4 years. I personally own a M&P9c. It is difficult for me to tell much difference between the two.

Of the 1,150 M&P 9mm's my agency has in the field, about 200 of them are M&P9c's. We have not noticed any real difference between the two guns as it relates to accuracy, reliability, ect.

I recently went to our agencies range with one of my female officers how is about the size of your wife. She had just transfered to an undercover unit. As such, she had the option of transitioning from the full size to the compact, if she wanted to.

While the smaller size appealed to her, she was concerned about being able to shoot the compact as proficiently as the full size gun. (In her new unit, firearms proficiency is more than a theoretical exercise.).

I had her shoot both guns, side by side. She actually shot the compact slightly better, and had more confidence in the compact because of that.

Get the M&P9c, your wife will love it.

Thanks BT, that pretty well settles this issue here. I appreciate all the input. I'll get with Grant early next year.

threeheadeddog
12-28-09, 13:26
I think that in many cases we(shooter guys) tend to think wrong or at least incorrectly in what women would like.
My wife was very adament about wanting the .45 1911 as the house gun. Why did she like that perticular pistol when I figured that she should like something smaller and more womenly? For the same reasons I did, the bigger the gun, the better the trigger, and for her the smaller girth makes a gun easier to shoot... DUH. I think that too often we try to force "petite" guns on petite women and this just detracts from their confidence(cus petite guns suck for actually shooting)

Get her something she can shoot first(M&P 9, and Glock 19 are the most obvious choices) then see what she can do to make it easier to carry. God forbid suggest that the two of you go out and buy her another bigger(and nicer) purse. Most likely she will like that.

If I could afford it I would get a alluminum frame 9mm 1911 for my wife but $ dont grow on trees:p